Topic Options
#479348 - 08/22/12 02:50 PM Introduction
Robert K Stock Offline

Loc: El Reno, Oklahoma
Hello. I first read the Satanic Bible about two years ago and was amazed at what I found. Philosophy instead of Devil worship! Most surprising of all the philosophy of the COS was the same philosophy I have been following for the past twenty years. I look forward to being part of the discussion.

Edited by Robert K Stock (08/22/12 02:51 PM)

#479351 - 08/22/12 03:21 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Robert K Stock]
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Short and to the point. It's great to see that you've read The Satanic Bible, and found yourself within it.

Have you ventured some of LaVey's other works? The Devil's Notebook and Satan Speaks are excellent extensions of Satanic thought and philosophy, and showcase more of LaVey's intelligence, wit, and vision.

Glad to have you aboard!

#479362 - 08/22/12 04:33 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Mason_Rust]
Robert K Stock Offline

Thank you for the welcome. I do try to keep things brief. Along with the Satanic Bible I have read the Satanic Rituals, the Satanic Scriptures,the Compleat Witch, The Devil's Notebook and Satan Speaks. I hope to read as many of the works listed in the Compleat Witch as I can find.

#479371 - 08/22/12 05:06 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Robert K Stock]
Psychotherapeut Offline

CoS Member

Welcome to LttD.

#479417 - 08/23/12 06:37 AM Re: Introduction [Re: Robert K Stock]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Center of my own Universe
Originally Posted By: Robert K Stock
Thank you for the welcome. I do try to keep things brief. Along with the Satanic Bible I have read the Satanic Rituals, the Satanic Scriptures,the Compleat Witch, The Devil's Notebook and Satan Speaks. I hope to read as many of the works listed in the Compleat Witch as I can find.

Itīs delighting to meet person who have studied the issue before starting to express their own theories or ask questions which can be answered by reading.

Welcome to the LttD.

#479422 - 08/23/12 08:10 AM Re: Introduction [Re: Robert K Stock]
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

You've been busy, it seems! I'm surprised that if you've taken the time to read all of that, we didn't find you here sooner. Did you only recently stumble upon Letters To The Devil, or were you waiting?

Other than that you're a Hotel Night Auditor, what else can you tell us about yourself?

#479459 - 08/23/12 08:21 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Mason_Rust]
Robert K Stock Offline

I am 53 years old. I live with my girfiend and I have no children. I ran for city council twice when I lived Texas. I lost both times, but was appointed to a city board. In that same town I was chairman of the Tourism Committee of the Chamber of Commerce. Here in Oklahoma I served on my city's Economic Developement Board. I worked for ten years at a small daily newspaper. The past twenty years I have been in the hotel business. I have been the general manager of three different hotels, but prefer my present job as night auditor. I am no longer responsible for other people not doing their jobs and I deal with almost no stress.

I was raised as a Christian, and spent two years in the full time ministry of Jehovah's Witnesses. Studying history convinced me that the JW's were not, as they call themselves, "the Truth". Studying Ayn Rand's philosophy convinced me that selfishness is a virtue and altruism is a vice, therefore an altruistic religion like Christianity was no longer my cup of tea. Studying science convinced me that the supernatural does not exist. Studying the works of Anton LaVey convinced me that the Church of Satan squares up with my studies of history, philosophy and science.

My girlfriend is not happy about my becoming a Satanist. She is very scared of what others think and over the years has given me a long list of things not to say to her parents or friends about politics, religion, and basically any subject I think is important. I told I will always be polite, but will speak about whatever I think is right. She says that everytime I say Hail Satan! she becomes very frightened and expects the Devil to jump out from behind the furniture and drag her to hell. I have tried to reason with her, but each time she gets upset and says that it is wrong for her to think of reasons why she disagrees with me. She says she can think but she just prefers not to. We have been together for seven years, but we may have to break up. At present I do not mention Satanism to her, but quietly go on with my studies.

#479472 - 08/24/12 08:20 AM Re: Introduction [Re: Robert K Stock]
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

It sounds like you've got a healthy list of accomplishments, from your City Council work to getting away from the JW's. They can be a very tenuous group to leave, I've heard.

In my younger days when I worked as a line cook at a country club, we had two JW waitresses, who were nice and pleasant to work with. But, they knew I was very much into science even in my high school years, and when they would (rarely) talk a bit about religion, I would politely point out not so much why they were way off, but why I wouldn't be listening to them. I told them that talking to me about it was a waste of time, as I had, I think I put it, a "scientific suit of armor." They said that they had a small pamphlet that shows that science and their faith are compatable, and even that science helps to suppor their faith.

They brought in for me a pamphlet, much of which I don't remember, but one page showed the solar system, and then a very solar system looking atom diagram. It made to connection that God has designed the very large, and the very small in the same way, and thus, he must exist and we all should be Jehovah's Witnesses and join up! I'm paraphrasing, of course, but that was the gist.

I brought in my AP Chemistry book and showed them that the "solar system" model of the atom was Bohr's model from the 1910's, which even when he made it knew that atoms didn't really look like that. The orbits only represent higher energy levels, not actual distance from the nucleus. I also showed them the electron cloud model (or QMM - Quantum Mechanical Model) which is our current best understanding of the atom, showing that electrons don't travel in orbits, but orbitals, and that they spread out like waves when not observed. Basically showing that the atom looks nothing like a solar system.

I further told them that we could conclude on of two things from this information about the author/publisher of their pamphlet. 1. The author/publisher isn't willing to do even basic research on the subjects he's trying to use to persuade the reader, and thus all of his/her conclusions are highly questionable and he/she shouldn't be trusted. Or, 2. He/She did know about the more accurate models of the atom, but intentionally omitted them in order to deceive his/her audience in order to strengthen his/her arguement, and thus he/she shouldn't be trusted.

They weren't angry, but ceased trying to talk to me about religion.

I'm not sure what happened to one of them, but the other still works at this country club, which I often visit when I'm in town as the chef is one of my good friends still. The JW is now the manager of the place, but no longer a JW. This was a good ten years ago. She divorced and was "thrown out" of the church. She once told me that she had her doubts, and that she remembers my dissection of the pamphlet, and that even then she was thinking, "If a 16 year old kid sees something is wrong with this, maybe there is," and that it stuck with her. Of course, the abusive JW husband she had did way more to help her lose her faith, but it was nice to hear that our words and critiques, though not obvious at the time, do sometimes sit with these people.

As for your relationship, that is your arena to make decisions in. I hope for you the best, whether that means her seeing that Satanism is not devil worship, or if it means something else. Either way, if you currently don't have children, I'd hold off on such plans until after this is resolved!

It's nice to see a newcomer with as much under your belt as you have. Welcome again!

#479476 - 08/24/12 10:12 AM Re: Introduction [Re: Robert K Stock]
Bet'phage Offline

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Robert K Stock
She says that everytime I say Hail Satan! she becomes very frightened and expects the Devil to jump out from behind the furniture and drag her to hell.

It used to be that after I would do a ritual, my wife would say she sensed an evil presence and that I'd "brought the devil back into the house."

However, after sometime of her seeing healthy, practical, helpful habits and attitudes forming in me, that fear has subsided.

I hope your girlfriend will soon see the benefits and real-world results from your involvement with Satanism and be not afraid, but be eager to know your secret. wink

http://www.vampiretemple.com/whatis.html

Forum Stats
12009 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405198 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements