Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#478446 - 08/08/12 08:12 AM Re: The Summer Olympics 2012! [Re: Unknown]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
I have no interest in Olympics and try to ignore it. However, I find it offensive that news programs devote 20mins to medals won and 5mins to such items as 12yr old girl missing for 5 days, 70yr old woman tortured by burglars, misc other murders, various wars, floods, disasters etc. News?

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

#478447 - 08/08/12 08:17 AM Re: The Summer Olympics 2012! [Re: MagdaGraham]
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
At least those news media programs are consistent, eh? You always know what to expect...

I certainly understand media covering the Olympics, but with so many sports channels already devoted solely to the Olympics, they should cover it much less. I don't know if that means I want to hear more about tortures and burglaries, but there is much more out there that is actually pertinent to our lives that should be covered.

#478449 - 08/08/12 08:48 AM Re: The Summer Olympics 2012! [Re: Mason_Rust]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
Quote:
I don't know if that means I want to hear more about tortures and burglaries

Quite. But I look forward to hearing that the burglars have been caught [likely] and the girl has been found alive [unlikely].

The point is that news programs should provide all news possible.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

#478457 - 08/08/12 09:42 AM Re: The Summer Olympics 2012! [Re: Unknown]
Stilts Offline

Loc: Michigan
This is a bit off path from where the topic was heading, but I'm always amused by those who excel in extreme sports. Mixed Martial Arts, for example, when the "rules" are much more geared to produce a near brutal battle... The winner, usually the least bloody I've noticed, is very quick to thank his Christian god. It's puzzling to me!! "I'd like to thank God for giving me the strength to grant unconsciousness onto another, simply for sport." Granted, if two people would like to fight to the death, both being perfectly willing, have at it! I'd just think they would want thank themselves for such a feat.

And bringing it back in, I agree with you Mason. The events of the Olympics, although interesting to some, shouldn't take the entire 60-minutes to recap! I dislike hearing the sad truths of what mankind brings itself to do, especially involving animals or children, but as MagdaGraham said- I enjoy hearing the "happy endings" to these (unfortunate) instances.

"If I had a dime for every time a homeless man asked me for change... I'd still say 'no'."
- Bo Burnham

#478490 - 08/08/12 10:52 PM Re: The Summer Olympics 2012! [Re: StabAvery]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Get back in there and train, sir.

#478491 - 08/08/12 11:06 PM Re: The Summer Olympics 2012! [Re: CWH]
StabAvery Offline

CoS Member

Loc: michigan
The closest place is an hour away, but your right, no excuses.

#478610 - 08/11/12 12:53 AM Re: The Summer Olympics 2012! [Re: StabAvery]
TheMerryRose Offline

Loc: the City Of Sin.
You know StabAvery, you don't need a gym for a good workout. I live right next door to a large wildlife perserve and one of my favorite things to do is taking a few of my boys out for a "little hike. grin " We march 1-3 miles then brake for push-ups,crunchs and leg lifts, then repeat as needed. Usually two to three more times. I would advise first streching well and walking not running. (Beleive it or not you can get the same cadio from walking with way less chance of wrecking your knees. eek)

I know none of this has anything to do with jiu-jitsu but i'm shure you can easily adapt the concept.

Disclamer: Please check with your DR. before starting any workout programe yada yada yada ect.

#479059 - 08/19/12 02:26 PM Re: The Summer Olympics 2012! [Re: TheMerryRose]
StabAvery Offline

CoS Member

I have a full gym in my home and I jog 2 miles a day. I was referring to a BJJ training facility. All those push-ups, crunches and leg lifts don't help much when someone pulls your arm out of socket or separates your knee from lack of practicing counter moves with other students.
CWH knows what I meant. smile

#479663 - 08/28/12 02:02 AM Re: The Summer Olympics 2012! [Re: StabAvery]
TheMerryRose Offline

Like I said StabAvery, The workout itself didn't have anything to do with your jujitsu training. I just thought that a mad scientist like yourself could easly find a way to utilize the local fauna to create a sparing partner or two. smile By the way, I wanted to ask you, what kind of supplements (if any) are you taking?

Mason_Rust I think your idea about making chess an olimpic event is a very good one. Personaly I love the game! I also remember that while back I read about some pepole who had combined chess with boxing. Alternating four min. at the chess board with three min. rounds of boxing. They call it chess boxing! crazy

#479666 - 08/28/12 03:38 AM Re: The Summer Olympics 2012! [Re: TheMerryRose]
StabAvery Offline

CoS Member

TheMerryRose, when actually "going at it", I use this diet and stick to it! nothing less nothing more(except for the supplements listed below). It is expensive as hell and hard to eat that much food and stay as active as I like, but this is what I do.

As for suppliments, I use Cytogainer as a protein supplement and then use a regular multivitamin for active men. I have tried other supplement packages but honestly, this diet has gotten me to the size I want when I want to be there and everything in between. Eat like this and train hard and there is nothing standing in your way. I would also like to note that this type of diet is for body building (which I do not do). But if you want to modify how you look this works.

And as Mason_Rust knows, I'm no Chess player, but full contact chess...I would be willing to try. coopdevil

Lean Mass Cycle

Meal 1 2.5 cups of egg whites, 1 cup of oatmeal, black coffee with one sweetener if preferred.
Meal 2 8oz chicken breast (I use Mrs. Dash seasonings) 1 cup brown rice, steamed vegetables.
Meal 3 10oz of lean meat & one medium sized sweet potato
Meal 4 I Generally make a Protein shake with water (pre workout meal) along side of some arginine
-following workout ill get some of my wonka pixy stick.. and a gram of vitamin C.
Meal 5 10oz Chicken breast, Steamed veggie, possible quinoa.
Meal 6 10 oz Halibut or Tilapia (or whatever fish you can get, fresh is best!) Generally add greens or asparagus
Meal 7 Cottage Cheese, blueberry (or another fruit)/ or Greek Yogurt accompanied by supplements.

Weight Loss Cycle

Meal 1 1 scoop of whey protein, alongside of 2 egg whites OR 1 cup of oatmeal.
Meal 2 1 Large orange or cup of fresh berries.
Meal 3 Low sodium turkey (4oz) on Flax seed grain bread. Cup of almonds or good nuts.
Meal 4 1 low-fat cup of cottage cheese with pineapple.
Meal 5 6 oz tilapia filet 1 cup of broccoli, 2 cups of spinach with olive oil or balsamic vinegarette.
Meal 6 Walnut halves with 1 tbsp of peanut butter to dip them in.

Rule of thumb: any meat or potatoes shouldn't be any bigger than your fist. Try to eat slower and fill up a smaller plate. This will help speed your metabolism and help drop that unwanted fat/pounds!

Bulk Cycle

Meal 1 6 egg whites/1 whole egg. 1 cup of oatmeal
Meal 2 8 oz meat choice. 2 cups of white rice ( I season with Mrs. Dash, sometimes lemon pepper) 1 medium sweet potato
Meal 3 8 oz chicken breast, 2 cups of brown rice, asparagus
Meal 4 60 gram protein shake prior to workout, cup of almonds.
Meal 5 10 oz meat choice (red!!) 1 and 1/2 cup of brown or long grain rice, spinach salad with olive oil or balsamic v.
Meal 6 8 oz chicken or fish. 1 cup of broccoli
Meal 7 Low Fat cottage cheese or Greek yogurt with fruit added.

Cutting Cycle

Cardio prior to meal 1 if you want to burn extra fat!
Meal 1 6 Egg whites, 1 whole. 1 cup of hard rolled oats, or oatmeal.
Meal 2 Protein shake + cooked oats. I eat Bear Naked oats.
Meal 3 Low sodium turkey on Flax seed bread.
Meal 4 12-16oz of Flouder or Tilapia, 1 cup of steamed green beans
Meal 5 Salmon FIlet & Medium sized sweet potato
Meal 6 12-16oz fresh lean fish. 1 cup of steamed broccoli
Meal 7 Spinach and walnut/almond salad. Olive oil dressing.
-add a small cup of greek yogurt if still hungry at night.

Edited by StabAvery (08/28/12 04:42 AM)

#479857 - 09/01/12 12:27 AM Re: Let the wookie win R-2!!! [Re: StabAvery]
TheMerryRose Offline

Originally Posted By: StabAvery
TheMerryRose, when actually "going at it", I use this diet and stick to it! nothing less nothing more(except for the supplements listed below). It is expensive as hell and hard to eat that much food and stay as active as I like, but this is what I do.

As for suppliments, I use Cytogainer as a protein supplement and then use a regular multivitamin for active men. I have tried other supplement packages but honestly, this diet has gotten me to the size I want when I want to be there and everything in between. Eat like this and train hard and there is nothing standing in your way. I would also like to note that this type of diet is for body building (which I do not do). But if you want to modify how you look this works.

And as Mason_Rust knows, I'm no Chess player, but full contact chess...I would be willing to try. coopdevil <-( I Don't know if you are a Starwars fan but this comment realy reminds me of that scene were Chewey plays whatever that game was against R2 on the Falcon! Either way, The sport sounds like it could be alot of fun to me too. ) grin

Lean Mass Cycle

Meal 1 2.5 cups of egg whites, 1 cup of oatmeal, black coffee with one sweetener if preferred.
Meal 2 8oz chicken breast (I use Mrs. Dash seasonings) 1 cup brown rice, steamed vegetables.
Meal 3 10oz of lean meat & one medium sized sweet potato
Meal 4 I Generally make a Protein shake with water (pre workout meal) along side of some arginine
-following workout ill get some of my wonka pixy stick.. and a gram of vitamin C.
Meal 5 10oz Chicken breast, Steamed veggie, possible quinoa.
Meal 6 10 oz Halibut or Tilapia (or whatever fish you can get, fresh is best!) Generally add greens or asparagus
Meal 7 Cottage Cheese, blueberry (or another fruit)/ or Greek Yogurt accompanied by supplements.

Weight Loss Cycle

Meal 1 1 scoop of whey protein, alongside of 2 egg whites OR 1 cup of oatmeal.
Meal 2 1 Large orange or cup of fresh berries.
Meal 3 Low sodium turkey (4oz) on Flax seed grain bread. Cup of almonds or good nuts.
Meal 4 1 low-fat cup of cottage cheese with pineapple.
Meal 5 6 oz tilapia filet 1 cup of broccoli, 2 cups of spinach with olive oil or balsamic vinegarette.
Meal 6 Walnut halves with 1 tbsp of peanut butter to dip them in.

Rule of thumb: any meat or potatoes shouldn't be any bigger than your fist. Try to eat slower and fill up a smaller plate. This will help speed your metabolism and help drop that unwanted fat/pounds!

Bulk Cycle

Meal 1 6 egg whites/1 whole egg. 1 cup of oatmeal
Meal 2 8 oz meat choice. 2 cups of white rice ( I season with Mrs. Dash, sometimes lemon pepper) 1 medium sweet potato
Meal 3 8 oz chicken breast, 2 cups of brown rice, asparagus
Meal 4 60 gram protein shake prior to workout, cup of almonds.
Meal 5 10 oz meat choice (red!!) 1 and 1/2 cup of brown or long grain rice, spinach salad with olive oil or balsamic v.
Meal 6 8 oz chicken or fish. 1 cup of broccoli
Meal 7 Low Fat cottage cheese or Greek yogurt with fruit added.

Cutting Cycle

Cardio prior to meal 1 if you want to burn extra fat!
Meal 1 6 Egg whites, 1 whole. 1 cup of hard rolled oats, or oatmeal.
Meal 2 Protein shake + cooked oats. I eat Bear Naked oats.
Meal 3 Low sodium turkey on Flax seed bread.
Meal 4 12-16oz of Flouder or Tilapia, 1 cup of steamed green beans
Meal 5 Salmon FIlet & Medium sized sweet potato
Meal 6 12-16oz fresh lean fish. 1 cup of steamed broccoli
Meal 7 Spinach and walnut/almond salad. Olive oil dressing.
-add a small cup of greek yogurt if still hungry at night.

Thank you very much StabAvery!!! laugh

I always say the best magic is Kitchen magic!!! Speaking of witch, these diets of yours would fit very well into a little project of my own that I have been working on. Do you mind if I borrow them? (Credit will be given were it is due of course!)

#480209 - 09/08/12 08:07 AM Re: The Summer Olympics 2012! [Re: Quaark]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Quote:
Archery. I was told at around ten I could compete in the Olympics someday if I kept at it, but I didn't.

No wonder why you're so accurate at banning idiots! You must have amazing aim! smile

#480212 - 09/08/12 08:10 AM Re: The Summer Olympics 2012! [Re: Mason_Rust]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

I like what someone said to me once, you're as old as you feel.

#480213 - 09/08/12 08:20 AM Re: The Summer Olympics 2012! [Re: Mason_Rust]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Quote:
Here's another rare opinion that few would agree with: I think that chess should be an event in the Olympics. Yes, yes, I know...it's not physical. But truthfully, I know that on many levels, it is. A chess tournament can be physically exhausting! I do admit, it's much more mentally draining, but still, I wish it was in there. The reason I wish it was in there, though, goes along with what I find interesting about the Olympics. I'd like to see what political and nationality emotions would arise if one country's grand master was pitted against another. I wish I was able to have paid attention when Fischer was facing Spasky back in the day.

Excellent opinion!

#480214 - 09/08/12 08:31 AM Re: The Summer Olympics 2012! [Re: StabAvery]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

I enjoyed training in BJJ but I have questioned its practical application for a real life situation. It seems effective as a sport but as far as protecting yourself in a threatning situation I am not so sure. Would you care to share your thoughts on that?

I also felt boxing was a lot of fun too!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12020 Members
73 Forums
43830 Topics
405230 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements