Topic Options
#480527 - 09/14/12 10:35 AM My name is Robert, and I'm a new member.
RobertTheWriter Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
I called myself RobertTheWriter as a username because I always find myself trying to write. Be it stories, music, lyrics, etc. It's what I've always identified myself with.

I am 18 years old, and will soon be sending in an application to the Church of Satan, however I am not an offical member yet.

My interests (which are included in my profile, however I feel I should include them here too) are things like Movies, Music, Books, Art, VideoGames (which I feel may be looked down upon here, but I still see them as an effective storytelling medium), Politics, Sex, Philosophy (which is ironic as I am awful at debating. I much more enjoy listening.) and religion in general.

In the next year or so I will be joining the United States Marine Corps. (Which some may see as opposing Satanism, but I actually think it kind of makes sense. The Military shows self-reliance, responsibility, stability, ethics, and maybe not exterior individuality but I think it does make you your own person. Which I've always thought was a rediculous phrase.)

Politically I am a fiscally conservative, socially liberal, philisophically liberatarian.

Religiously I do belive in God. Which some may see also as being non-Satanist due to believing in yourself, and being your own God. But I believe there is a God, and I can't help it. However, I think that ''Satanism'' ironically... is extremely God-like. Especially in terms of being an individual, establishing your own moral code, and all. Respecting life, and not wasting intelligence. That all makes sense to me. I intend (once a more established member of this forum) to create a thread or two (if it hasn't been done already) about how an actual belief in God may fit in with Satanism. (Which to me, it does perfectly in it's own way.)

I'll end my introduction for now, as I feel like a true introduction, or way for this site to get to know me is to actually talk to me. So after a few days of reading more than posting, I'll get to know the members around here and you'll see where I fit in.

And hopefully I do.

There doesn't seem to be an emoticon for ''content'' but if there was one. That's what I'd place on this post.

- Robert.

#480528 - 09/14/12 10:39 AM Re: My name is Robert, and I'm a new member. [Re: RobertTheWriter]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> Religiously I do belive in God. Which some may see also as being non-Satanist due to believing in yourself, and being your own God. But I believe there is a God, and I can't help it. <<

I do not see the point in you sending your membership application to us.

Good luck with your beliefs which, according to you, you have no control over.

#480530 - 09/14/12 10:47 AM Re: My name is Robert, and I'm a new member. [Re: RobertTheWriter]
Insurgent Offline
CoS Member

Quote:
(On joining the USMC) Which some may see as opposing Satanism

Indeed, though you will find those that do not see it that way. Ultimately it's your call on whether you're being a martyr for causes that aren't your own, Satanist or not.

Quote:
I intend to create a thread or two about how an actual belief in God may fit in with Satanism

The Satanic Bible makes the Satanic stance on theism and faith quite clear, which is why you seem to see a potential problem with endorsing either here. High Priest Gilmore may also be cited multiple times stating the atheistic nature of Satanism.

Best wishes.

"My dear Insurgent you're an extremist, intolerant and you have prejudices. That's all."

"I am a fucking Satanist and desire in all of my being to be the Queen of the World if at all possible...."

#480531 - 09/14/12 12:24 PM Re: My name is Robert, and I'm a new member. [Re: RobertTheWriter]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:
religiously I do belive in God. Which some may see also as being non-Satanist due to believing in yourself, and being your own God. But I believe there is a God, and I can't help it. However, I think that ''Satanism'' ironically... is extremely God-like. Especially in terms of being an individual, establishing your own moral code, and all. Respecting life, and not wasting intelligence

The irony here is that you do not get that we fully and totally acknowledge that Satanism is god-like. That's why we call ourselves our own gods. That's exactly the point of Satanism.

What you do not seem to get, is that by deferring god-like powers to an external entity (i.e. a god or divine spirit or whatever you fancy) it renders you less god-like, less powerful, and ultimately, makes you less responsible for your own life and its success.

We are atheists because we absolutely accept that we - and only we - have sole control over our lives.

The only irony here is that you point this out while still believing in a god and thinking that it is compatible with Satanism. It is not.

#480533 - 09/14/12 02:05 PM Re: My name is Robert, and I'm a new member. [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
RobertTheWriter Offline

Originally Posted By: Drake_Bamboozle

I do not see the point in you sending your membership application to us.

Good luck with your beliefs which, according to you, you have no control over.

Maybe saying that I can't help it may not have been the best way to put it. But I'll see if I can explain it in further posts. Think of it like, you can't help what kind of music you like. It's just that way. At least to me. And I would never preach it that way to anybody else.

Originally Posted By: Insurgent

The Satanic Bible makes the Satanic stance on theism and faith quite clear, which is why you seem to see a potential problem with endorsing either here. High Priest Gilmore may also be cited multiple times stating the atheistic nature of Satanism.

Best wishes.

I understand the atheistic nature of Satanism, but for some reason to me, even though it may be a slight contradiction. I see no reason for a percieved existance of God to prevent yourself from being your own God. Think of it as a coexistance rather than an obedience. I still belive I have influence over my life. That belief just helps shape a moral code. If that makes sense. I still retain complete control. And like I mentioned before, I'm awful at debating this sort of thing. Hopefully I can explain.

My understanding is that there are certain things that are up to interpretation, or that you don't have to agree 100% with everything LaVey ever said. Just with how he preached to live, and a general agreement with worldview. Which is pretty similar with how I've been living already.

For there to be absolutely no room for disagreement, or interpretation seems to be contradictory to what Satanism is about. But I'd love to have a convorsation with a minister here about that.

Edited by RobertTheWriter (09/14/12 02:15 PM)

#480534 - 09/14/12 02:23 PM Re: My name is Robert, and I'm a new member. [Re: Zaftig]
RobertTheWriter Offline

Originally Posted By: Zaftig

The irony here is that you do not get that we fully and totally acknowledge that Satanism is god-like. That's why we call ourselves our own gods. That's exactly the point of Satanism.

This is where that coexistance I mentioned earlier fits in. I'm still reading the Satanic Bible, and other works by Anton LaVey and I do understand the atheistic nature of Satanism. Which is self empowering, which is what drove me to research Satanism in the first place.

Quote:
What you do not seem to get, is that by deferring god-like powers to an external entity (i.e. a god or divine spirit or whatever you fancy) it renders you less god-like, less powerful, and ultimately, makes you less responsible for your own life and its success.

I don't think it should HAVE to render me less God-like, or less responsible. Even if I believe in a God. I don't think it should have to influence me directly. I don't believe in any religion based on such, or carry the faith of any other religion.

Quote:
We are atheists because we absolutely accept that we - and only we - have sole control over our lives.

Which I also believe.

#480535 - 09/14/12 02:43 PM Re: My name is Robert, and I'm a new member. [Re: RobertTheWriter]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> Think of it like, you can't help what kind of music you like. It's just that way. At least to me. And I would never preach it that way to anybody else. <<

It isn't the same as enjoying a style of music.

>> For there to be absolutely no room for disagreement, or interpretation seems to be contradictory to what Satanism is about. But I'd love to have a convorsation with a minister here about that. <<

You're having one.

You do not have to agree with everything Dr. LaVey said, no. But there are fundamental tenets in Satanism that are not "open to interpretation" and your assertion that you'd like to open up conversations in regards to how God is applicable to Satanism will not be welcome here on this board. We've heard it all before and we simply do not agree with you.

#480536 - 09/14/12 02:58 PM Re: My name is Robert, and I'm a new member. [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
RobertTheWriter Offline

Originally Posted By: Drake_Bamboozle

It isn't the same as enjoying a style of music.

Bad analogy.

Quote:
You're having one.

I was tired and didn't read your title. I apologize.

Quote:
You do not have to agree with everything Dr. LaVey said, no. But there are fundamental tenets in Satanism that are not "open to interpretation"

I think I'm starting to understand that, and for some reason I'd forgotten that it was the Second Satanic Statement.

Quote:
and your assertion that you'd like to open up conversations in regards to how God is applicable to Satanism will not be welcome here on this board. We've heard it all before.

You're correct, but I didn't intend for it to sound preachy. That would be me deliberately invading this board with meaningless bullshit. I should have thought that through a little bit more before I posted that, but I'm thankful you responded to it. And a private convorsation would be better at what I wanted anyway.

What interests me most in Satanism is the moral code, and most of the philosophies proposed. The way a Satanist lives. This is what I am after, and what I am seeking out Satanism for. Not specifically as a belief structure, but a way of living, and a moral code. Which in my opinion is the most important part.

Edited by RobertTheWriter (09/14/12 03:03 PM)

#480537 - 09/14/12 03:00 PM Re: My name is Robert, and I'm a new member. [Re: RobertTheWriter]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Quote:
and will soon be sending in an application to the Church of Satan

As Reverend Bamboozle has already stated, it would probably be best if you save your money until you've studied further. At the moment, it's clear that you don't get it.

Quote:
In the next year or so I will be joining the United States Marine Corps. (Which some may see as opposing Satanism...)

I don't know why you would think that. There are several Members here who are Active Duty military or are Veterans.

Quote:
I intend (once a more established member of this forum) to create a thread or two (if it hasn't been done already) about how an actual belief in God may fit in with Satanism.

Fair warning: You'll likely be shown the door if you do. Just sayin'.
Prevention of Virtue

S Magazine 1 & 2
S Magazine 3

#480538 - 09/14/12 03:00 PM Re: My name is Robert, and I'm a new member. [Re: RobertTheWriter]
Insurgent Offline
CoS Member

Even outside the context of Satanism, the fact that you actively believe in something for which you have no proof, no concrete concept of and receive no measurable benefit from is a problem. Goosebumps, hope, intellectual failings and psyching yourself out are not forms of empiricism.

It's an intellectual problem.

Your problem. A problem that, in my understanding, Satanism has no room for.

I'd stray away from playing the "if Satanism has a basic ideological structure then it's against Satanism" card.

"My dear Insurgent you're an extremist, intolerant and you have prejudices. That's all."

"I am a fucking Satanist and desire in all of my being to be the Queen of the World if at all possible...."

#480539 - 09/14/12 03:02 PM Re: My name is Robert, and I'm a new member. [Re: RobertTheWriter]
TheAbysmal Offline

Originally Posted By: RobertTheWriter
Originally Posted By: Zaftig

Which I also believe.

The way we define "God" seems that it must somehow be different than the one you're proposing to believe in that is compatible with Satanism.

Maybe you could describe the God you believe in and really clear up whatever misconceptions we might have.

On the other hand, if you're referring to the Judeo-Christian God, feel vestiges of that baggage dumped on you still, all the while finding Satanism resonating in you, you can kill Him. You don't have to reconcile Him with Satanism. You can drop that baggage. It might take a long time to really dump it all, but if He is the God you refer to... you must.

Refuse to die.

#480540 - 09/14/12 03:08 PM Re: My name is Robert, and I'm a new member. [Re: TheAbysmal]
RobertTheWriter Offline

Originally Posted By: TheAbysmal

The way we define "God" seems that it must somehow be different than the one you're proposing to believe in that is compatible with Satanism.

Maybe you could describe the God you believe in and really clear up whatever misconceptions we might have.

On the other hand, if you're referring to the Judeo-Christian God, feel vestiges of that baggage dumped on you still, all the while finding Satanism resonating in you, you can kill Him. You don't have to reconcile Him with Satanism. You can drop that baggage. It might take a long time to really dump it all, but if He is the God you refer to... you must.

I do not believe in a Judeo-Christian God in the slightest.

In my opinion, all God would be is simply a creator. With little to no influence on the world at all. And quite possibly without even a heaven or Hell.

My belief would be close to Agnostic with a slight lean towards a belief in God. But not in any traditional sense.

What I should have stated earlier in the thread, was that I was looking to Satanism mainly because of the way the lifestyle. Being completely responsible for your own actions, celebrating life, not wasting intelligence, and the moral codes that come with that. The reasonings are even quite strong. Those are what drew me into studying Satanism.

I shouldn't have even brought the concept of God into it, as it didn't play a factor into why I look into Satanism. Especially a Judeo-Christian God. Thank you for asking, as I would have had an extremely hard time clearing that up without that question.

Forum Stats
12010 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405199 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements