Topic Options
#481939 - 10/20/12 10:56 PM I'm Pissed.
Sabastian Offline

Loc: College Station, TX
Most of the time, but not really. I am just disgusted (on the inside) by how the earthlings are acting and what they are destroying.

Howdy, I'm Sabastian. Born in an all white community in S.E. Texas, raised to respect my superiors (parents especially), enjoyed a good life full of more than enough (like a pool in the back yard), and spent most all youth years involved with the Methodist. Although, as we grew up, along with other teenagers, we acted like teenagers. LSS. Dad has passed, wife has gone her separate way, the kids are grown, and I am a Senior in college. LaVey, in what I have read so far, seemed very well educated. I appreciate that quality. At this time in my life, I want to exercise the freedom of silence. Too many people ask too many questions, when they need to repair their own lives first b/4 worrying a/b others. Yes? Ahhh, shit, here I go. Pissed. OK, OK, OK. Whew. That was close. Next. I like the idea of "admiring" man, since he is the only one capable of hands-on construction of life. Later.

#481953 - 10/21/12 12:01 PM Re: I'm Pissed. [Re: Sabastian]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
I think you have gained an insight about our perspective on life that is very useful.

We generally strive to not so much change the world (which would require changing other people first) as to change our own world. "Charity begins at home" fits this perspective quite well.

There is plenty in the world to get mad about. But usually those are the things that require changing what other people think and feel and do. That sometimes works but all too often not.

However what each of us does have control over is what we do individually based on our best understanding of what is useful in improving our own lives.

When you write of exercising your "freedom of silence", resisting the temptation to expend much effort trying to change the obviously self-defeating thinking and actions of others, I applaud your effort.

Feeling the urge to do so anyway, knowing that if they would listen to you would make a real difference in their lives, and then feeling the frustration that results from the rejection of such efforts can easily lead to anger.

But the simple fact of the matter is that reality is what it is even when we don't agree with how it is. When other people are wasting their time trying to change "other people" instead of, as you so rightly point out "repair[ing] their own lives first", about the best thing we can do is to tell ourselves the truth.

The truth is that while we may prefer that other people do what makes sense to us, often they don't. We don't have to like it but it really is pointless to demand that they do. It seems that when we demand that things should be different, instead of just realizing that this is only our preference, then we go from frustration to anger. We do it to ourselves.

Anger has its place but I have found that not demanding that reality match my preferences works better than demanding that it do so, especially when it comes to the actions of others.

Sounds like you have also.

I congratulate you!

#481954 - 10/21/12 12:28 PM Re: I'm Pissed. [Re: Nemo]
TheAbysmal Offline

I enjoyed this. Another gem. smile

Refuse to die.

Forum Stats
11893 Members
73 Forums
43642 Topics
404164 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM