Topic Options
#48319 - 07/10/04 02:05 PM Long URLs and Side-scrolling
MagisterParadise Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Burlington, VT
10 July XXXIX A.S.

This is an occurrence in viewing LttD posts on any browsers other than Internet Explorer that IE users are probably not even aware of: when you post long URLs, the text does not wrap and, because it stays all one length and on one line, the body text follows that same width. What happens here is if the provided URL in the text is, say, three feet long, the text is also three feel long and the reader has to scroll left and right, left and right, left and right, over and over for each line just to read the post. I've actually gotten to the point where I skip posts like this, especially if they're long.

Now that IE users know this, it would be nice if the ones who are merely putting the URL into both dialog entry boxes would assign a short name or textually-occuring phrase in the second one instead of repasting the URL. (Or, you could learn basic UBB code like I have, but I realize that's asking too much.)

Thank you for reading. Feel free to pass this along.

****** READ DIABOLOGUE OFTEN ******

Purging Talon | On Facebook | On SatanNet
Bearing The Devil's Mark @ Amazon | The Book of Satanic Quotations @ Amazon | Terror Transmission

--------------------
"The world isn't black and white. It's grayscale" - Steve Wozniak

#48320 - 07/12/04 05:26 PM Re: Long URLs and Side-scrolling [Re: MagisterParadise]
JayLucif Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Helheim
I was thinking a few times of posting something along these lines and felt it was not my place. Thanks for bringing it up, I have just ignored these posts altogether as well just simply because someone did not figure out how to use the simple UBB options. Please use UBB for really long URL's.

Freedom, baby is never having to say you're sorry. Guilt is like a bag of fuckin' bricks. All ya gotta do is set it down. John Milton - The Devil's Advocate!

I'm gonna pull the whole thing down. I'm gonna bring the whole fuckin' diseased, corrupt temple down on your head. It's gonna be biblical. Clyde Shelton - Law Abiding Citizen!

------------------------------------------------------------

#48321 - 07/13/04 09:53 AM Re: Long URLs and Side-scrolling [Re: MagisterParadise]
Powaqqatsi Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hungary
Maybe the problem could be fixed using a CSS technique like this:

Code:
<head>
<style>
.myarea {
overflow: hidden;
width: auto;
background-color: orange;
color: black;
}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<div class="myarea">
reallyreallyreallyloooooongtextwithoutanywhitespace
</div>
</body>

Try it out! Play with the window size of the browser and you'll see that the defined area will expand to the available space, but it will hide the overflowing text if it is too narrow. The overflowing text isn't lost, you can select then scroll it with the mouse.

Forum Stats
12009 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405199 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements