Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#482198 - 10/29/12 02:01 PM The 10 Commandments
Venator Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Southern California
As an Officer of the court, I see on a daily basis "In God We Trust" and in some courtroom entrances, The 10 Commandments.

As a Satanist, I honestly could careless. My job is to make sure, bad people go to bad places. I am curious as to what my fellow Church of Satan members think or feel about the above mentioned "Phrases" displayed in public
courthouses. My opinion on the matter, I could careless. I feel hey, "Whatever floats your boat"

#482206 - 10/29/12 04:45 PM Re: The 10 Commandments [Re: Venator]
Zsche Offline

Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
For me it depends.

“In God We Trust” I can handle more easily because I trust in myself and I am my own God.

Having been a witness in court – being placed under oath by holding my hand on the bible didn’t bother me - because the book means nothing to me. I might as well be swearing to tell the truth on “Green Eggs and Ham” by Dr. Suess.

The public displays of the ten commandments are questionable to me. If my tax money was used to purchase the display – I disagree with it completely. If it is placed in a public school where my kids attend, then I have a problem with it.

Here in the United States - it all comes down to interpretation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution. For me – if it is being pushed or forced on me or my kids, or my tax dollars are being used to promote or endorse religion, I disagree with it. Beyond that – the herd can delight in their insanity all they wish.

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#482207 - 10/29/12 05:09 PM Re: The 10 Commandments [Re: Zsche]
Robert K Stock Offline
CoS Member

Loc: El Reno, Oklahoma
I think that displaying the Ten Commandments on a courthouse wall is no different than hanging a horseshoe over the door for good luck. And it is just as ineffective. If no one kicks up a fuss, then the display will quickly be ignored by most of the public.

#482209 - 10/29/12 05:47 PM Re: The 10 Commandments [Re: Venator]
TheAbysmal Offline

I really wonder whether it matters or not, but I don't know. What would things be like if Christian tenets weren't tattooed everywhere? Do these sway your decisions as a court Officer? I'm guessing they might not sway your actions, but what about the actions of others?

Somewhere, I see a kid growing up, wanting to be just like you, but also seeing those 10 Commandments, drawing conclusions from it, and growing up with a lot a garbage in his head.

I don't know that I like it.

Refuse to die.

#482215 - 10/29/12 09:04 PM Re: The 10 Commandments [Re: Venator]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

I highly doubt that the people who are in court pay any attention to a stupid plaque on a wall displaying the 10 commandments anyway.

And "In God We Trust" is on our money as well. It's just a phrase.

#482221 - 10/29/12 10:36 PM Re: The 10 Commandments [Re: Venator]
Zeviander Offline

Loc: MB, Canada
Being a Canadian I have little exposure to things such as this, but I can tell you I find it quite amusing when Christians are so quick to claim that "the US was founded on Christian values/morals/etc" and that "US law was founded around the Ten Commandments".

This is a very good read for anyone really interested in this particular topic: http://www.ffrf.org/faq/freethought/item/15139-did-you-know

#482223 - 10/29/12 11:46 PM Re: The 10 Commandments [Re: Zeviander]
Robert K Stock Offline
CoS Member

Loc: El Reno, Oklahoma
In 1802 President Thomas Jefferson wrote in a letter to the Baptists of Danbury, Connecticut that the First Amemdment to the US Constitution builds a wall of separation between Church and State.

In 1797 the Treaty of Tripoli stated that the US government is in no sense based on the Christian religion. This treaty was debated and passed by the Senate. It was then signed by President John Adams.

These men were the Founding Fathers. That is proof that Christians are mistaken about the origins of US law.

#482250 - 10/30/12 04:00 PM Re: The 10 Commandments [Re: Venator]
Waya Offline
CoS Member

Seeing stuff like that in a courtroom doesn't bother me one bit.

You're a part of something that I support and admire so much. Justice! To help keep dirtbags behind bars is admirable. That's a kickass job!

"We are superior, and are superior not by ethnic means, but by the superior force of the will -- the imagination, the creativity, and the very essence of resourcefulness, and survival, that is the heart and the very soul of the Satanist."
~Anton LaVey

#482254 - 10/30/12 05:37 PM Re: The 10 Commandments [Re: Venator]
Insurgent Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Venator
As an Officer of the court, I see on a daily basis "In God We Trust" and in some courtroom entrances, The 10 Commandments.

As a Satanist, I honestly couldn't careless. My job is to make sure bad people go to bad places. I am curious as to what my fellow Church of Satan members think or feel about the above mentioned "Phrases" displayed in public
courthouses. My opinion on the matter, I couldn't careless. I feel hey, "Whatever floats your boat"

I'm not a nihilist. I see consequences to the things we endorse in our legal and political institutions. Those phrases aren't there for the shits-and-giggles of pious folks. They exist to create an expressly stated tie between a specific religious system and the US government. This is historical fact.

It is a crack that exists to become a potential hole.

The latter day notion that "God" is used "generally" is used by two camps of people. (1.) Christians that want to treat us in a two faced manner, by first of all saying it's general but then turning right around and saying it's actually Jesus. (2.) Lazy social commentators that sure do reap the benefits of energetic heretics but sure don't like to be made to feel inadequate or useless towards his own freedom.

Not being a nihilist, I see cracks as potential holes. I can't stress that viewpoint enough.

I challenge anyone to debate that the Religious Right does not use these supposedly "meaningless" gestures as a political spring-board. They gain credibility for every plaque that's tacked up, every motto that's perverted. That gives political power to our enemies to say "Well, see here, this right here, well that says we're a Christian nation." That gives validity to otherwise lost causes and creates political turmoil where none need exist.

I think a lot of nihilists have been sitting pretty for long enough that they don't really get the cost of giving Christianity an inch. Endorsing the concept that US Federal Law is based on the ten commandments is a historical error that gives more than an inch, it gives an entire autobahn of leeway to completely distort US historical reality.

The goal here is to destroy these sacred lies at the root. That should sound familiar.

Though of course we all have our ways in which we contribute to the secularization of our respective homelands. I think we ought to be supportive of atheists that rail against these kinds of things, if not rail against them ourselves.

But that's my point of view alone.

"My dear Insurgent you're an extremist, intolerant and you have prejudices. That's all."

"I am a fucking Satanist and desire in all of my being to be the Queen of the World if at all possible...."

#482264 - 10/30/12 09:43 PM Re: The 10 Commandments [Re: Venator]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
The 10 Commandments exist to remind us that there is a huge section of the population so completely out of tune with natural law and evolution that they need to be reminded at every turn not to kill or steal from their fellow man. They need to be threatened that some boogie man will get them if they don't play fair. It is almost like the one gift from traditional religion to the rest of us is a little list to keep it's pathetic moronic members in check.

As an American taxpayer it is a bit galling. As someone who believes the masses are dangerous, I appreciate the effort.

Y

Edited by Ygraine (10/30/12 09:43 PM)

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#482361 - 11/03/12 11:26 AM Re: The 10 Commandments [Re: Venator]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
In the United States, things like the Ten Commandments and "In God We Trust" simply shouldn't be on public buildings and currency in the first place. The US is not a theocracy, and taxes shouldn't be used to endorse particular religious beliefs. Speaking as both a Satanist and more importantly a tax-paying American citizen who understands this country's explicit secular foundings, I don't want them there either.

Of course, the damage is already done. We already have courthouses with the Ten Commandments and coins with "In God We Trust". So the question is, what can we do about it now?

The analogy I use is that it's like accidentally sending a party invitation to some creep that you absolutely don't want to be there. You really shouldn't have done it in the first place. However, now that you have, there's unfortunately no way to correct the situation without looking like the asshole.

Originally Posted By: Venator
As a Satanist, I honestly could careless.

You mean "could not care less". If you could care less, then you wouldn't be at the state of no longer caring yet. "Careless" as a single word is an adjective, as in "He was pretty careless with his grammar." wink

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#482362 - 11/03/12 11:27 AM Re: The 10 Commandments [Re: Insurgent]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Insurgent
I'm not a nihilist. I see consequences to the things we endorse in our legal and political institutions. Those phrases aren't there for the shits-and-giggles of pious folks. They exist to create an expressly stated tie between a specific religious system and the US government. This is historical fact.

Absolutely! Great post.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#483345 - 11/28/12 09:05 PM Re: The 10 Commandments [Re: Insurgent]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
I know this thread is old(er) but, yet again, I was searching the forums for your posts. What you wrote here -- spot on and disturbing on too many levels to list.

Originally Posted By: Insurgent
It is a crack that exists to become a potential hole.

In light of the below article, "potential hole" has positively grave implications.

A Year In Jail For Not Believing in God

Quote:
The law states, "The safety and security of the Commonwealth cannot be achieved apart from reliance upon Almighty God as set forth in the public speeches and proclamations of American Presidents, including Abraham Lincoln's historic March 30, 1863, presidential proclamation urging Americans to pray and fast during one of the most dangerous hours in American history, and the text of President John F. Kennedy's November 22, 1963, national security speech which concluded: "For as was written long ago: 'Except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.'"

The law requires that plaques celebrating the power of the Almighty God be installed outside the state Homeland Security building--and carries a criminal penalty of up to 12 months in jail if one fails to comply.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#484409 - 12/26/12 11:11 PM Re: The 10 Commandments [Re: Bill_M]
Venator Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Southern California
Bill:

The grammer correction made me laugh, I thank you for that. As a grader of documents being submitted, I should have paid a little more attention to what I was typing.

Hell, I'll blame it on my cell phone.

#484420 - 12/27/12 04:13 AM Re: The 10 Commandments [Re: Venator]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Quote:
The grammer correction

"Grammar."
Prevention of Virtue

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12118 Members
73 Forums