Topic Options
#484706 - 01/03/13 11:47 PM Spirit vs Soul
xjoeh801x Offline

Loc: Utah
I'll probably word this poorly, but, from the Satanist standpoint, what is the difference between the spirit and the soul? My understanding that they are one and the same, and both a construction of Judeo-Christians. But in my reading of the Satanic Bible and general interest in COS I've noticed that there is mention of the spirit.

Is that meant in more the terms of a person's drive, ambition and determination, such as the fighting spirit?

I thank you in advance for helping me answer this question.

#484707 - 01/04/13 12:12 AM Re: Spirit vs Soul [Re: xjoeh801x]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
As a matter of semantics, one could apply either of the words in a different capacity to that of the religious understanding of them.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#484710 - 01/04/13 03:40 AM Re: Spirit vs Soul [Re: xjoeh801x]
Lust Offline

For me, it is all about the will. Will is reality, here and now. "energy equals mass times the speed of light squared" might be helpful. ?
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#484717 - 01/04/13 10:48 AM Re: Spirit vs Soul [Re: xjoeh801x]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I do believe it was Magister D. Sass who wrote that mind, soul, and spirit are simply words humans use to describe our psychological and emotional lives.

I agree with his definition as far as Satanists are concerned.

If you are asking how the general public uses them, the nuances of the terms vary greatly. For example, "spirit" can be used to describe ambition and drive, but also nefarious demonic activity, depending on the context and/or the speaker's worldview.

Although, again from a Satanic worldview, ambition and drive ARE demonic! grin

#485526 - 01/24/13 07:05 AM Re: Spirit vs Soul [Re: Lust]
Egon Lau Offline

Tier Instinct,

What does "energy equals mass times the speed of light squared" have to do with spirits and souls?

#485539 - 01/24/13 10:22 AM Re: Spirit vs Soul [Re: xjoeh801x]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

A spirit is distilled liquor and a soul is the Sooooooooooooul Train! grin

#485553 - 01/24/13 05:33 PM Re: Spirit vs Soul [Re: xjoeh801x]
TheAbysmal Offline

The word essence comes to mind, and I think it's a useful synonym of the words spirit or soul.

I remember watching a movie once where the guy who plays George Costanza on Seinfeld--don't remember his real name--plays a man who kills a Canadian boy in a hit-and-run in a low-budget film. All kinds of extradition crap complicates bringing him to trial, which eventually happens. Because of how all the laws worked, he got off on technicality.

The boy's father who spoke at the trial appealed that the man be found guilty based on the "spirit" of the law, rather than the letter of the law.

That's what comes to mind when I think of spirit or soul: essence, or "the point of [it]", "it" being to whatever you apply it.

Refuse to die.

#485566 - 01/25/13 12:52 AM Re: Spirit vs Soul [Re: Egon Lau]
Lust Offline

Well, the formula demonstrates that without mass there can be no energy. This is why there are no ghosts, spirits or spooks. It is easy to understand if you just know what you are viewing. E=mc2
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�

#485579 - 01/25/13 07:10 AM Re: Spirit vs Soul [Re: Lust]
Meneyazwun Offline

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Tier Instinct
Well, the formula demonstrates that without mass there can be no energy. This is why there are no ghosts, spirits or spooks. It is easy to understand if you just know what you are viewing. E=mc2

Just because something doesn't have an apparent mass (can go through walls, etc.) doesn't mean it can't exist. Neutrinos have a mass so small that it has not been accurately measured. They have no charge, and pretty much fly through everything without affecting it, given that 6.5x10^10 neutrinos from the sun pass through each square centimeter on earth every second. However, I still don't believe in ghosts.

The only correct answer is that any perceived 'spirit' of a person is an utterly physical phenomenon, mostly composed of neuronal connections, synaptic firing, and hormonal fluctuations. These things cannot be separated from the physical form of a living organism because they are themselves physical.

Edited by Meneyazwun (01/25/13 07:11 AM)

#485635 - 01/26/13 12:14 PM Re: Spirit vs Soul [Re: Meneyazwun]
Lust Offline

A good argument you have there, of course. Pretty much what I said but without so many words. whistle

#485649 - 01/26/13 04:47 PM Re: Spirit vs Soul [Re: xjoeh801x]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Personally, I could give two different uses of the words. In each, they would be synonyms. On one hand, neither exist. On the other, either could be used to express someone's aliveness, or spark. I think that really refers to intelligence, or enthusiasm. Satanists refer to this as the Black Flame.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

Forum Stats
12170 Members
73 Forums
43936 Topics
405790 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements