Topic Options
#484787 - 01/05/13 02:50 PM changing of the altar
SATANSAVES Offline

I have been a practicing witch all of my life, I come frm a long line of Greek women with certain "abilities". I was just curious as to what my alter should be like now, as I have no nude women lying around (very unfortunate). I've changed my candles and my practices, is there anything else I need to do?

#484799 - 01/05/13 05:00 PM Re: changing of the altar [Re: SATANSAVES]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Quote:
I was just curious as to what my alter [sic] should be like now

As far as Satanic ritual is concerned, the details of an altar and ritualistic tools are already described in detail in The Satanic Bible. You can easily purchase a copy for ridiculously cheap on Amazon.com

Quote:
as I have no nude women lying around (very unfortunate).

As the Satanic Bible explicitly explains, "If this is impractical, or in private ceremonies, any elevated plane may be used."

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#484841 - 01/06/13 08:58 PM Re: changing of the altar [Re: Bill_M]
SATANSAVES Offline

I was kidding about the naked. Ladies. I'd just like to hav naked ladies around my house, as far as the bibe is concerned I read it 5 times before I joined the forum, and have gathered all necessary materials, I have read the satanic with as well, and while empowering it is much different from the ritualized magic I am accustomed to. I come from a line of gypsies, heh. they do things a bit differently. I was just wondering if aesthetically needed to change, right now im working with a medium sized red table.

#484846 - 01/07/13 12:45 AM Re: changing of the altar [Re: SATANSAVES]
Pablovilla Offline

Loc: Victorville, California
There are a number of different alters on Church of Satan website, but not sure exactly where the pictures are located, as that was a few years ago that I last looked at them. Also there is a reading list and two other good books are "The Satanic Witch", and "Satanic Rituals".

#484851 - 01/07/13 06:19 AM Re: changing of the altar [Re: SATANSAVES]
Bloodfire Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Honolulu, HI
Originally Posted By: SATANSAVES
I was kidding about the naked. Ladies. I'd just like to hav naked ladies around my house, as far as the bibe is concerned I read it 5 times before I joined the forum, and have gathered all necessary materials, I have read the satanic with as well, and while empowering it is much different from the ritualized magic I am accustomed to. I come from a line of gypsies, heh. they do things a bit differently. I was just wondering if aesthetically needed to change, right now im working with a medium sized red table.

There are a few great essays in The Devil's Notebook, that relate to this very topic that I think you'd find very informative and worth reading.

In short, Satanic Magic (being concerned with the individual and not mass consumerism) is a self-serving tool, and as such, your individual taste will reflect in your ritual chamber. If you feel like something should be there, it probably should. If you feel something seems magical to you and it is not listed in the standard tools outlined in TSB, than incorporate it anyway! It's about what works for you.

My current altar contains four tikis among its items, and they're not mentioned anywhere in The Satanic Bible.

tiki

Bloodfire9.com | Bloodfire! Store - Satanic-themed Merchandise
TheQuintessentials.com - Satanic Horror Punk Rock
Other places to find The Quintessentials:
MySpace | Facebook | Twitter | Undercroft | YouTube | ReverbNation

#484853 - 01/07/13 08:37 AM Re: changing of the altar [Re: Bloodfire]
Waya Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Quote:
My current altar contains four tikis among its items, and they're not mentioned anywhere in The Satanic Bible.

And I think that is neat. Every individual that decides to create his own space like this should defintely put his personality into it, from color to decor.

"We are superior, and are superior not by ethnic means, but by the superior force of the will -- the imagination, the creativity, and the very essence of resourcefulness, and survival, that is the heart and the very soul of the Satanist."
~Anton LaVey

#484856 - 01/07/13 08:59 AM Re: changing of the altar [Re: Waya]
Bloodfire Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Honolulu, HI
Originally Posted By: Waya
Quote:

And I think that is neat. Every individual that decides to create his own space like this should defintely put his personality into it, from color to decor.

Precisely! Bearing in mind that there remain an underlying Satanic aesthetic to it all, of course. wink

Happy Birthday, by the way, Waya!

Bloodfire9.com | Bloodfire! Store - Satanic-themed Merchandise
TheQuintessentials.com - Satanic Horror Punk Rock
Other places to find The Quintessentials:
MySpace | Facebook | Twitter | Undercroft | YouTube | ReverbNation

#484858 - 01/07/13 09:15 AM Re: changing of the altar [Re: Bloodfire]
Waya Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Thank you, good Sir! smile

"We are superior, and are superior not by ethnic means, but by the superior force of the will -- the imagination, the creativity, and the very essence of resourcefulness, and survival, that is the heart and the very soul of the Satanist."
~Anton LaVey

#484865 - 01/07/13 11:55 AM Re: changing of the altar [Re: Bloodfire]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Bloodfire

In short, Satanic Magic (being concerned with the individual and not mass consumerism) is a self-serving tool, and as such, your individual taste will reflect in your ritual chamber. If you feel like something should be there, it probably should. If you feel something seems magical to you and it is not listed in the standard tools outlined in TSB, than incorporate it anyway! It's about what works for you.

Exactly. My wife and I don't really have anything elaborate set up...but we have found a need to use fire. Our outdoor grill gets double duty.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#484886 - 01/07/13 09:16 PM Re: changing of the altar [Re: SATANSAVES]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: SATANSAVES
I was kidding about the naked. Ladies.

You'd be surprised how many people ask that question seriously.

Quote:
I'd just like to hav [sic] naked ladies around my house, as far as the bibe [sic] is concerned I read it 5 times before I joined the forum, and have gathered all necessary materials, I have read the satanic with [sic] as well,

So then what's the problem? The book is pretty straight-forward. There's really no need to make this more complicated.

Quote:
I was just wondering if aesthetically needed to change, right now im working with a medium sized red table.

This is like saying "I have a shirt, shoes, and pants, but I need to know if I have to change what style shirt, shoes, and pants I have in my wardrobe". The aesthetics are all up to you, since only you yourself can decide that part for yourself. No two Satanic altars look the same, namely because tools of the same type are invariably going to look different from each other for different people. One Satanist may have a wooden chalice with a red Baphomet and a 10" Viking-looking dagger, while some other Satanist may have a silver chalice with a black Baphomet and a military sword, etc. The descriptions of the standard Satanic ritual tools are vague enough to get the ones that fit your aesthetics.

There's also no rule against having additional items on your altar. In my experience, it's rare to see an altar with just the exact tools and nothing else at all. Some people want things as simple as possible, others like more details. Again, it's up to the individual.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#484949 - 01/09/13 05:58 PM Re: changing of the altar [Re: Bill_M]
JDBones Offline

Speaking of altars and additional items, I can't help remembering Ray Bradbury's writing room - it was filmed in the series "The Ray Bradbury Theater". I guess some of you have seen it. My altar has lots of "additional junk" here and there and with time I add more and more - I like it that way while others like to have more neat kind of a set.

"'cause down here in Hell everybody loves Me!"
("Hell Is Home", Judas Priest)

#485006 - 01/10/13 09:48 PM Re: changing of the altar [Re: Bill_M]
Viper Slate Offline

Loc: NSW, Australia
In terms of an example of personal aesthetic, I don't really have a table or anything to use as an altar, so instead I use an old guitar amp (as its a raised surface), a hand-drawn baphomet in red, some standard candles (one black one white), crystal glass as a chalice, and a katana as my ceremonial sword. Not only are all of these items easily accessible to me, but I feel like I have a connection to the items also which serves me personally to heighten the emotional response and experience of the ritual. Everyone will have thier own personal take on their setup for rituals.

Unlock and open the doors,
(Be the Healer or the Faker),
The Keys are in your hands,
(Realize you are your own sole creator),
Of your own Master Plan!
-- Dimmu Borgir "Gateways".

#485522 - 01/24/13 05:13 AM Re: changing of the altar [Re: Bill_M]
SATANSAVES Offline

OK. Great. It was just was I was perusing through the satanic rituals that I got concerned. I have no one to practice with, and the rituals described, while their ends are desireable, the rituals themselves seem impractical to a lone satanist in Kentucky.

Forum Stats
11890 Members
73 Forums
43636 Topics
404142 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements