Topic Options
#493827 - 12/10/13 09:27 PM Trying to understand compulsion
BlackMetalMagik Offline

I know satanism welcomes indulgence and discourages compulsion. It says compulsions are the result of forbidden pleasures. But it's also in our nature to desire what we cannot have. Doesn't this pose a threat to the satanist? Is our very nature our downfall, and how can the satanist overcome this? I know satanists have a lot of powerful tools to utilize such as knowledge and magic. Am I missing anything else?

#493837 - 12/11/13 10:57 AM Re: Trying to understand compulsion [Re: BlackMetalMagik]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Quote:
...how can the satanist overcome this?

Through further study of our literature.

"The Balance Factor" is just one example of part of the answer to your question.

We are epicureans, not mindless hedonists.

You will find questions like this one answered in depth in our literature.

You should start with COS FAQ: http://churchofsatan.com/frequently-asked-questions.php

#493839 - 12/11/13 11:09 AM Re: Trying to understand compulsion [Re: BlackMetalMagik]
Teufelhund Offline

Loc: Kansas
I think you are missing quite a bit, and are confusing the two concepts. One involves uncontrollable actions which are against one's will, while the other involves controllable actions which are in accordance with it.

Forbidden pleasures can welcome both types of behavior, but a Satanist is able to tell the difference between the two, and act responsibly.

Think of the difference between a drug addict and a recreational drug user. I use this only as an example of the two behaviors. An addict compulsively uses in order to maintain a level of euphoria, while a recreational user might indulge when they feel like sitting on the couch, eating Funyuns, and laughing like a moron at Family guy. It is all about choice.

I hope this helps.

#493873 - 12/14/13 12:29 AM Re: Trying to understand compulsion [Re: BlackMetalMagik]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: BlackMetalMagik
I know satanism welcomes indulgence and discourages compulsion. It says compulsions are the result of forbidden pleasures. But it's also in our nature to desire what we cannot have.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that "compulsions are the result of forbidden pleasures". The Satanic Bible is very clear on the difference between "indulgence" and "compulsion". Compulsions come in all sorts of varieties, not necessarily related to socially taboo indulgences or the Law of the Forbidden.

As for how to address and eliminate compulsions, there are lots of different techniques, and their effectiveness largely depends on the individual and the particular nature of the compulsion. Sometimes a Satanic ritual can help purge the mind of compulsive, self-consuming thoughts. Other times it's a matter of gradually trying to reprogram the old compulsive behavior.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

Forum Stats
13309 Members
73 Forums
44545 Topics
407991 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold