Topic Options
#494438 - 01/24/14 09:41 PM Computer expert please.
Waya Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
I'm seeing blue highlighted popup links on the board.

My wife told me she had to re-download Firefox a few days ago and I've noticed that some words on the board are highlighted and if you hover over it a little popup pops up. I noticed this after she downloaded it again. Is this a coincidence? I guess I can just overlook it, but it's still annoying to look at.

Is there a bug on the board or is there something I'm not doing to disable it? I already hit the Firebox button on the top left and went into the options and checked the block pop-windows in that window. Still nothing. And they're appearing sporadically on both of the before and after sign in pages. I don't think it's a malware issue because it's not happening on every website I go to. I'm thinking it's a goofy feature that is completely useless. Most of them are very small advertisements in little windows. Once in a while I'll have one pop up on my bottom right side of my screen. So, I'm thinking it's just something on my end.

Please help. smile

Thank you!

Edit: I tried taking some advice online to see if I can figure out this problem myself, and one person mentioned uninstalling the Adobe Flashplayer plugin from my conrol panel. Well, I did this and these links went away, but I was unable to watch anything on Youtube. I reinstalled it and it's back now. frown

I have the Flashplayer, ActiveX, and ReaderX showing in my control panel...if that helps.

Edited by Waya (01/24/14 10:54 PM)

"We are superior, and are superior not by ethnic means, but by the superior force of the will -- the imagination, the creativity, and the very essence of resourcefulness, and survival, that is the heart and the very soul of the Satanist."
~Anton LaVey

#494441 - 01/24/14 11:11 PM Re: Computer expert please. [Re: Waya]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
It is important to download any browser from a reliable source ...and to carefully monitor the download process to not end up installing many additional unwanted programs.

#494442 - 01/24/14 11:13 PM Re: Computer expert please. [Re: Waya]
Waya Offline

CoS Member

Ok.

I think I may have found the problem. I'm link free at the moment. I went into my tools and clicked on Add-ons and disabled the Great Arcade Hits Add-on, which was updated a few days ago. I don't remember doing this.

Weird.

"We are superior, and are superior not by ethnic means, but by the superior force of the will -- the imagination, the creativity, and the very essence of resourcefulness, and survival, that is the heart and the very soul of the Satanist."
~Anton LaVey

#494443 - 01/24/14 11:21 PM Re: Computer expert please. [Re: Nemo]
Waya Offline

CoS Member

I read that some people are complaining about unwanted things happening with the new Firefox update. I can't figure out how this plug-in turned on all by itself... if that's the problem. At the moment I'm not having any issues.

~Anton LaVey

#494446 - 01/25/14 07:42 AM Re: Computer expert please. [Re: Waya]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: Waya
I read that some people are complaining about unwanted things happening with the new Firefox update. I can't figure out how this plug-in turned on all by itself... if that's the problem. At the moment I'm not having any issues.

Strange things can sometimes happen if plug-in developers aren't in synch with the updates from Mozilla. Haven't seen that particular thing happen though.

I usually keep multiple browser on my computer, like Google Chrome and Safari, because if there is something weird I can check out if the problem is with the browser or with the website. Given the variety of browsers and plug-ins, it's hard for web-developers to test all combinations, so this is a fast way to find out if there is a general problem or just a quirk in the browser.

#494482 - 01/29/14 03:25 PM Re: Computer expert please. [Re: verszou]
Lex Sheraton Offline

Loc: Monreal, Quebec, Canada
Good afternoon,

As a precaution, I would highly recommend downloading malware detection software such as MalwareBytes or SuperAntiSpyware to make sure that your system is not infected. If the scanning software flags items as "infected", I would recommend you bringing your system to a computer store such as Best Buy (although smaller computer shops tend to cost less) and having them scan your disk for further infections. You can also do that yourself but I highly recommend reading up on it 1st if you are not comfortable with your computer.

I worked as a malware removal technician for Verizon a few years back and have seen this issue many times. It sounds like you may be infected with adware the source most likely being from 3rd party software installations as Magister Nemo had suggested although there are thousands of ways something like this could have happened.

Hope that helps.

Hail Satan!

Edited by Lex Sheraton (01/29/14 03:29 PM)

#495440 - 04/12/14 12:21 AM Re: Computer expert please. [Re: Waya]
Valek Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Non-local
Sounds like that add-on may actually be adware. My personal recommendation would be to uninstall it, if you have not already done so.

Forum Stats
11891 Members
73 Forums
43637 Topics
404147 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements