Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#495408 - 04/08/14 09:04 AM What is success?
Jupiter Offline

Loc: Far Below
This idea occurred to me while I was evaluating my progress on many levels, while I've have things and lack other. I mean, what is your definition of success in a Satanic sense? We all know that it is all about worldly success!

But what makes a person successful and another not, what is more successful than something else? I can't put my hands on it till now. I'm interested in knowing others opinions, maybe it what help me shape my own!

For example, is success measured by a bank account, talents, wife and kids, experience? All of them? Or a combination.

Ultimately, there "should" be a final definition of success in Satanic context, of course, I'm not interested at how non-Satanists view success, but it won't hurt either to project to them the image they imagine about what success is? So, really deeply and in the most true sense: what is Satanic success?

—Richard Bach, Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah (1977)

#495409 - 04/08/14 09:30 AM Re: What is success? [Re: Jupiter]
Mr. E. Mann Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
I judge success in my own life by my own terms. If I've reached a goal that I've set for myself - no matter how big or small - I'm successful. The ultimate goal for me is to be happy.

That doesn't mean I'm completely satisfied and don't want to climb to higher ground, though. There are certainly levels of achievement in a number of areas I have yet to attain but I think of those as just higher echelons of success.

Edited by Mr. E. Mann (04/08/14 09:39 AM)

#495410 - 04/08/14 10:27 AM Re: What is success? [Re: Jupiter]
Callier Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: On my grind
Success to me is being recognized for your talents. Being paid for them is a bonus. Just having a big bank account alone don't make you shit. We all want recognition.

Success to me can also mean gaining results through Greater Magic.

#495411 - 04/08/14 10:43 AM Re: What is success? [Re: Callier]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Center of my own Universe
Success is to reach the goal you have defined.

For example, one may be successful writer when s-/he writes the book by his standards. Then the measure for success is not necessarily the bank account or the number of your readers but the book itself.

Same goes with many ares of life. Being the best possible you can in the chosen field is success. Successful teacher doesnīt have to be millionaire or Hollywood celebrity, but somebody who knows how to teach kids to read. Successful artisan does not necessarily have to be famous artist, but somebody who can create piece of art by their hands. Thatīs success. Everything else is just a bonus like Warlock Callier said!

#495426 - 04/11/14 10:05 AM Re: What is success? [Re: Jupiter]
Jupiter Offline

Loc: Far Below
Yes, yes, and yes.

I agree with all of your views, but I'm still looking for an ultimate definition, I mean the kind that ANYONE will admire and seek for themselves.

To set a goal and achieve is personal. Everyone have his or her own definition of what it mean to be successful, I would urge what is huge success for someone is not necessarily a success for other.

I guess I just want that kind of success can't be challenged. Satanically, idealism is not realistic, so is perfection, but in someway Satanists are perfectionists. In that they seek to perfect whatever task at hand.

Is success an abstract concept like justice, or it is something tangible such as money and food? smile

—Richard Bach, Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah (1977)

#495427 - 04/11/14 11:52 AM Re: What is success? [Re: Jupiter]
Kenaz Offline

I don't see how the standard definition, "the accomplishment of an aim or purpose" needs to be revisited. Why reinvent a wheel that is not broken?

The Tree of Knowledge | The Tree of Life

#495428 - 04/11/14 11:55 AM Re: What is success? [Re: Jupiter]
Mr. E. Mann Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Abstract? I wouldn't say that. I think it's a relative term, though.

What most would assume to be evidence of success - fame, fortune, etc. - is only really success if those things are one's ultimate goals.

#495430 - 04/11/14 01:42 PM Re: What is success? [Re: Jupiter]
Labyrinthine Offline

CoS Member

Loc: America
I see success as achieving the goals I've set for myself. This could be getting a story published, landing a particular job, or persuading someone through a presentation, for examples. How successful I am at any given time I base on the extent to which I'm achieving the goals I have for myself at that time. And I'll point out I have both short-term and long-term goals.

Different people define success differently; money, fame, family, knowledge, mastery of skills can all factor in differently for each person.

I hope I'm not going out too far on a limb to say that Satanists tend to rank the mastery of skills (art, athletics, Lesser Magic, etc.) rather highly on their hierarchy of success, and usually above external recognition of that mastery.

#495432 - 04/11/14 03:30 PM Re: What is success? [Re: Jupiter]
Kenaz Offline

I will say, however, that if you are concerned with success as it relates in a 'Satanic' sense, I would most definitely say it is concerned more with if one feels successful in their own life, by ones own terms, and not of those that do not add happiness or quality to our lives. Much like asking another what makes one successful, that is for you to decide, unless of course you are look for one of us to define it for you. wink

#495434 - 04/11/14 09:13 PM Re: What is success? [Re: Labyrinthine]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Labyrinthine

I hope I'm not going out too far on a limb to say that Satanists tend to rank the mastery of skills (art, athletics, Lesser Magic, etc.) rather highly on their hierarchy of success, and usually above external recognition of that mastery.

I could agree with my Fellow Citizen and Comrad Labyrinthine here.

Success canīt be detailed for some specific form of success and say that this or that is success, this or that is not.

Success to me is to reach the goal I have set, but also mastery of skill. If you play violin and have a deep rooted passion for playing, then success in your passion would demand you to develop the best possible violin player you can be.

Every athletic want success in World Championships, but only one of them can win whole competition. Does it mean one is successful and others failure? No, it does not. Success does not depend on winning everybody or getting more money and fame, but reach the goal you have set. If athletic is realist (Satanist) he can think he has possibilities to be twelfth best in the World Championships and set the goal here. Now if somebody still is faster in running or better in long jump, this person still is successful in his personal level.

#495443 - 04/12/14 07:38 AM Re: What is success? [Re: Jupiter]
Adam-9sense Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Utah, USA
Success is relative, just as happiness is relative. It is up to the individual who can honestly and objectively look at their life, accomplishments and goals to decide if they are successful, and what that means.

As with virtually everything in Satanism, you must define it for yourself. I agree it can be difficult, but if you cannot define success for yourself, how will you ever achieve it?

To try and make any universal Satanic definition and force it on all Satanists is counter to it's core principal of individualism.

#495446 - 04/13/14 10:15 AM Re: What is success? [Re: Jupiter]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Jupiter

I agree with all of your views, but I'm still looking for an ultimate definition, I mean the kind that ANYONE will admire and seek for themselves.

There is no ultimate definition. It's like the old meaning of life question. It's up to us to fill in the blanks.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#495449 - 04/13/14 12:24 PM Re: What is success? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Kenaz Offline

Indeed. Rather than looking for a Prescribed meaning or accepting the generic meaningless, we create our own. In that sense, we take on the traditional role of 'God(s)(ess)(esses)' that have been the Big Pharma for so many.

We choose our reality. What separates each person is their level of awareness and intervention in that matter mixed with their unique aesthetic 'tastes.'

#495450 - 04/13/14 08:37 PM Re: What is success? [Re: Jupiter]
Unknown Offline

Loc: 611 Calif. St.
I would say that success equates to the results of one's own personal goals. Each goal must be according to the individual's life, therefore there is no set meaning in stone.

It is up to the individual to determine their own strength and weaknesses-to be in tune with one's nature is the hallmark of a successful magician for lesser or greater magic.

Satanism Demands study and not worship!
http://compleatwitch.blogspot.com/

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-classical/

Avatar used with special permission from Reverend CoffinRust. www.coffinrust.com

#495451 - 04/14/14 01:10 AM Re: What is success? [Re: Unknown]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Unknown
I would say that success equates to the results of one's own personal goals. Each goal must be according to the individual's life, therefore there is no set meaning in stone.

Precisely. You can succeed or fail with the goals you have set for yourself. Realistically looking these goals and results without hypocrisy tells you how successful person have you been!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
11893 Members
73 Forums
43642 Topics
404164 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements