Topic Options
#496833 - 08/17/14 03:46 PM Questions on Ritual
NewtonianDevil Offline

I'll try to make my first post a good one even posting from my phone. I have read many of the essays on the CoS website and ordered my copy of The Satanic Bible andThe Satanic Scriptures today (they should arrive this Friday). I see much of myself reflected in the essays I've read, else I would not be here, but the one thing that sticks for me is the ritual. I understand ritualization is not compulsory to consider Oneself a Satanist, and as an aspiring astrophysicist I was understandably skeptic until I listened to Magister Nemos interview on the matter on 9sense. I would like to give it a try, but my questions are these:

1. How important are the materials listed, namely the sigil of Baphomet, candles and robe, and more importantly given that the CoS Emporium is apparently down, where would I might find said materials?

2. Are there any suggested ways to assist a generally rigid logical and scientific mind to suspend their disbelief such that it does not interfere with the ritual?

3. A more practical matter, given that the rituals I've managed to read about (namely lust an destruction) entail burning parchment, or in my case, notebook paper; and given that (I assume) most solo rituals are performed indoors, what measures are normally taken to mitigate the fire hazard without "breaking character" so to speak?

I understand there is a sub forum dedicate to Greater Magic accessible only to CoS members, but as I am currently saving to pay the $200 registration fee, I hope that these basic inquiries may be addressed beforehand.

Thank you or your valuable time and assistance,

-ND

#496835 - 08/17/14 08:56 PM Re: Questions on Ritual [Re: NewtonianDevil]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: NewtonianDevil

1. How important are the materials listed, namely the sigil of Baphomet, candles and robe, and more importantly given that the CoS Emporium is apparently down, where would I might find said materials?

The materials have no "cosmic rule book" function; they exist only to assist you in having your intellectual decompression chamber work. They were carefully designed with both aesthetic pleasure, and deep archetypal resonance in mind.

That said, you can alter them to suit your needs. The further away from them you get, the less what you do would be what is called a "by the book" formal ritual though.

How much that would matter to you is your concern, not ours. How would we know(?); and it's your ritual. wink

Where to get the stuff? Be creative. I know members who have simply printed out a Baphomet for a single use, until they've gotten a better one. And used a big-ass bath towel as a robe.

It's psychology, not engineering, so it is the symbolic value you invest the ritual objects with, not their elegance or resale value.

Given time, you can upgrade to magnificent objets d'art if wished.

Quote:
2. Are there any suggested ways to assist a generally rigid logical and scientific mind to suspend their disbelief such that it does not interfere with the ritual?

I am hardcore science in all things as well. Remember that ritual is simply you, working with all the levels of your own mind, (using archetypally resonant symbols and actions in a choreographed show designed by, performed by, and for the benefit of yourself), getting those mental sectors in sync and cooperating, by using psychodrama.

The best analogy is going to a movie theater. You pay good money, get prepared in whatever way you do for sitting in one place for 2 hours and forgetting "reality", and allow the actors and movie director to transport you elsewhere, and most importantly, forget that you've been transported.

But in the case of ritual, you have the onus of being the actor and the director and the audience. The basic script and most important props have been provided for you already at least.

Quote:
3. A more practical matter, given that the rituals I've managed to read about (namely lust and destruction) entail burning parchment, or in my case, notebook paper; and given that (I assume) most solo rituals are performed indoors, what measures are normally taken to mitigate the fire hazard without "breaking character" so to speak?

A very small piece of paper that poses no risk would still have the same symbolic import, assuming you can generate the proper mental state.

Quote:
as I am currently saving to pay the $200 registration fee, I hope that these basic inquiries may be addressed beforehand.

Thank you or your valuable time and assistance,

-ND

Excellent!

#496836 - 08/18/14 12:49 AM Re: Questions on Ritual [Re: NewtonianDevil]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: NewtonianDevil

They're really not all that hard to get, when you consider that substitutions and the like are certainly allowed. The Satanic Bible goes into more detail about this, and I gave an analysis as well in an article I published a few years back. To summarize those points here:
  • Sigil of Baphomet: You could draw your own and tape it to the wall, or similarly print out a picture yourself from your computer. The important thing is that you have something serving as a central focal point.
  • Candles: Black candles might be difficult to find in stores if it's not October. I suppose a colored candle is better than no candle at all, but black candles are easy enough to order on-line these days. You could also dim the lights, but psychologically speaking, the flame of a candle still has a big esoteric association to it.
  • Robe: I typically use black graduation robes myself, which I've found at yard sales and from my own commencement ceremonies. But all-black clothing is fine for substitution.

Keep in mind that your first ritual doesn't have to be perfect. It typically never is for anybody. This is one of those things that will get better the more you do it, because along the way you'll realize certain things you can do to make the next one run smoother, what works for you personally, etc.

Quote:

I consider myself a real skeptical/analytical type too, and what I've found most important for me is to establish the whole session as best as I can as something separate from the day to day world. So it's especially important for me to put on minor-key music that's really emotionally moving, and in fact I use music and readings that I set aside only for ritual use, not anything that I listen to or read outside of the context of ritual. Also, I make sure there's no way I'm going to be disturbed by anybody, with the phones shut off, etc.

Another very important element for me is having a very clearly established beginning and end to the ritual. For me, this is the time from when the bell is first struck, to when the words "So it is done" are spoken. The Satanic Bible even makes a point about this: "The formalized beginning and end of the ceremony acts as a dogmatic, anti-intellectual device, the purpose of which is to disassociate the activities and frame of reference of the outside world from that of the ritual chamber, where the whole will must be employed. This facet of the ceremony is most important to the intellectual, as he especially requires the "decompression chamber" effect of the chants, bells, candles, and other trappings, before he can put his pure and willful desires to work for himself, in the projection and utilization of his imagery."

Quote:
3. A more practical matter, given that the rituals I've managed to read about (namely lust an destruction) entail burning parchment, or in my case, notebook paper; and given that (I assume) most solo rituals are performed indoors, what measures are normally taken to mitigate the fire hazard without "breaking character" so to speak?

Good question! I've done rituals where I've used flash paper as the parchment. This is special chemically-treated paper that burns immediately with no ash left behind. Otherwise, keeping the paper relatively small and using something like an ashtray seems to help. I've fortunately never ran into the problem of setting off smoke alarms or setting fire to the altar, but it's certainly worth trying to get the motions down before hand before the ritual starts.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#496849 - 08/18/14 01:55 PM Re: Questions on Ritual [Re: NewtonianDevil]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
I only wanted to add to the other already excellent and detailed answers you have received a further suggestion regarding your second question:

Quote:

Yes. Relax!

The emotional need to strive for absolute certainty is not the same as following the truly scientific guidelines for determining what you may trust as "real" in any context.

As "an aspiring astrophysicist" you must be very aware of the fact that no honest researcher will claim that we now possess a complete "Theory of Everything" (TOE).

That remains a goal of science and is not one we have evidently achieved.

So again my additional suggestion is to "let down your hair" when you intend to do a ritual and simply be truthful with yourself in that EVERYTHING YOU THINK IS TRUE MAY TURN OUT LATER TO BE DISPROVEN BY NEW EVIDENCE.

The "scientist" who pretends he can absolutely know what is "impossible" is only a dogmatist, not a true follower of the scientific method.

So when you do ritual, you can suspend your disbelief by simply be truthful in this regard.

You don't have to know how everything "really" works to get results. You can start and drive a car without understanding exactly how the entire automobile mechanism actually works.

Again, Satanism is pragmatic. If it works, we are willing to use it.

And if the idea that you are being foolish in attempting a ritual is inhibiting you under the guise of finding it hard to suspend disbelief, then try to assume the sneaky joy that a little boy can have when stealing cookies! grin

Then instead of feeling possibly foolish if your peers knew what you were doing, you can feel delightfully secretive about your ritual excursion into the non-Newtonian world! "If only they DID know what I am doing tonight!!" wink

And congratulations on asking such intelligent questions with an attitude that can lead you to enjoy your choices either way!

#496851 - 08/18/14 02:38 PM Re: Questions on Ritual [Re: Nemo]
NewtonianDevil Offline

Thank you gentlemen for taking the time to provide such insightful an helpful suggestions! With my next semester of classes starting wednesday, I look forward to putting these answers into practice and experiencing the benefit of ritual firsthand.

Forum Stats
12095 Members
73 Forums
43861 Topics
405459 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements