Topic Options
#497824 - 11/17/14 02:27 PM Daemonic Guides & Conjurations
J. Favenris Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I understand that in Satanism there is no belief in supernatural deities or spirits, but I am interested in learning a bit more about some information offered in the Church of Satan Youth Communiqué.

There's a few references to what I assume are hallucinations? I'm not concretely sure about that, so I come to you today asking if that is indeed the case.

The author references "conjuring up magical friends" (and I am currently in the process of obtaining both books Hesse's Demian and Bach's Illusions to grasp a better understanding) and is followed by "Don’t be disturbed or frightened or think you’re crazy when you feel at one with the Dark Ones you conjure forth."

Is this in reference to hallucinations? I've never received one before, but it's something I find fascinating, but questionable in terms of mental health.

I reached my conclusion based on "When in ritual, approach the Infernal Ones with the proper degree of respect and decorum. You’ll find that your “daemonic guide” is an aspect within you—don’t look for it outside."

Thank you for taking the time to consider my questions. I utilize Satanism as a tool to better and best perfect my life, but I'm concerned with sentences such as "The path you’ve chosen won’t be easy; sometimes it may be a nightmare" in concern to health.

#497825 - 11/17/14 03:36 PM Re: Daemonic Guides & Conjurations [Re: J. Favenris]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
You evidently missed the additional advice there:

Quote:
Also take care to keep your sense of skepticism and questioning outside the ritual chamber.

That is standard Satanic practice in the Church's approach to Greater Magic in which disbelief is suspended in the ritual chamber.

I should add that generally speaking "feeling at one" is more in line with imagination than hallucination. Most people who treat hallucinations as "real" perceive them as objective and not subjective.

And the warning about this path is only an honest admission that to "take the Devil's name" is not necessarily all light and flowers in a world that all too often condemns individual pride in achievement.

#497829 - 11/18/14 12:55 AM Re: Daemonic Guides & Conjurations [Re: Nemo]
J. Favenris Offline

Thank you for your response. Your wisdom is appreciated as always, Magister.

I hope I can give the impression that skepticism is indeed important to keep a person well understood of the difference between imagination/subjective experience and the external world outside of the ritual chamber.

My main question is if the Communiqué was talking about hallucinations when it referenced magical friends, daemons, and infernal/dark ones, or if they are illusions.

To the best of my understanding, and I'm still young and learning, hallucinations are, or can be, sign of mental illness, whereas illusions is like seeing clouds form a particular imagined object/person/thing.

What did the author mean when he said you could "conjure" a magical friend?

A few quotes from the Doktor also comes to mind:

"I have felt His presence but only as an exteriorized extension of my own potential, as an alter-ego or evolved concept that I have been able to exteriorize. With a full awareness, I can communicate with this semblance, this creature, this demon, this personification that I see in the eyes of the symbol of Satan - the goat of Mendes - as I commune with it before the altar. None of these is anything more than a mirror image of that potential I perceive in myself. I have this awareness that the objectification is in accord with my own ego. I'm not deluding myself that I'm calling something that is disassociated from myself the godhead. Satan is, therefore, an extension of one's psyche or volitional essence, so that the extension can sometimes converse and give directions in a way that thinking of the self as a single unit cannot. In this way it does help to depict in an externalized way the Devil per se. The purpose is to have something of an idolatrous, objective nature to commune with."

"In speaking directly to Satan himself, you may discover what is in your subconscious that you can't quite bring to the surface... Instruct the demons you name to manifest themselves to you by increasing your earthly pleasures."

By manifesting, was he talking about hallucinations?

#497830 - 11/18/14 01:17 AM Re: Daemonic Guides & Conjurations [Re: J. Favenris]
J. Favenris Offline

If one externalizes Satan, perhaps into the Sigil of Baphomet, and it speaks or converses with you, I would consider that to be an auditory hallucination, and I think that's part of what the Doktor was talking about.

Magus Gilmore has also spoken frequently about the "externalized ego", and the warnings and heedings that the Church of Satan has given about not looking for "the Devil" outside, because it's the dark force of nature within you, makes me also reach the conclusion that perhaps hallucinations is the topic that is being spoken about, because an illusion is a very easy thing to distinguish. Seeing the Baphomet/Infernal Ones/daemon in a set of clouds or an ink blot is much different than him/her/it appearing before you.

I enjoy the public writings the Church has published, and in an effort to properly articulate the essay/FAQ I first mentioned, I'd like to be clear about what it is trying to say.

#497837 - 11/18/14 03:58 PM Re: Daemonic Guides & Conjurations [Re: J. Favenris]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

I really feel your answer to this question is simple:

http://churchofsatan.com/faq-possession-dreams-destiny.php

and

http://churchofsatan.com/faq-ritual-and-ceremony.php

Additionally an excellent summary is here:

http://churchofsatan.com/ritual-in-satanists-life.php

There is quite a distinct difference between effectively using your imagination for your own benefit as opposed to allowing it to use you to your own detriment.

With your question you are posing a false either-or dichotomy.

I would suggest looking for a Third Side.

#497846 - 11/20/14 07:40 PM Re: Daemonic Guides & Conjurations [Re: Nemo]
J. Favenris Offline

But just to be explicitly clear, are you confirming that yes, hallucinations can be part of the experiences received by Satanic rituals?

And if so, do you have any advice for an aspiring new magician to navigate his work safely (such as images and noises not appearing involuntarily), without ending up needing mental help?

I have never experienced a hallucination, but I do understand that a prominent Magister recently left the Church because he felt he was in contact with demons and a literal Prince of Darkness.

Thank you for your resources, I'm currently researching and reading about Sheldrake's and Stanley Koren's work. When the stars align, I hope to see you all in the Greater Magic section "downstairs."

HS!

Edited by J. Favenris (11/20/14 07:43 PM)
Edit Reason: Fixed a sentence.

#497847 - 11/20/14 11:43 PM Re: Daemonic Guides & Conjurations [Re: J. Favenris]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

I have already answered your question here and given you links to additional information that further addresses it in some depth.

If you have personal problems with ritual magic the Church is quite clear that this practice is optional and by no means a requirement.

If someone has such a weak grip on reality that they are greatly worried about "hallucinations" then they certainly should not be attempting to use Greater Magic and should, instead, consult a mental health professional to assist them.

They probably have many other more pressing issues that require that kind of assistance.

Magic, both Lesser and Greater, is intended to be tools for you to use to better control your world and improve your life.

"Hallucinations" are a normal part of life as all dreams during sleep are "hallucinations".

But then too, any use of the imagination could also be viewed as "hallucinatory".

"Thinking" could be also considered "hallucinating".

In that sense, you are even "hallucinating" the understanding of these words on this screen as you read them mentally.

So your question and comments seem to assume some things that I would consider to be false dichotomies.

I cannot answer a question that is fundamentally flawed such as "Is the steak I am eating hot OR is it brown."

That is why you will need to review the information on this topic in some depth and the apply it within the ethical standards that are all quite clear.

The steak is not brown or hot.

The steak is good ...if you like steak! grin

#497848 - 11/20/14 11:59 PM Re: Daemonic Guides & Conjurations [Re: Nemo]
J. Favenris Offline

My deepest gratitude, I have received a very clear answer and learned much from this thread.

As a beginner in the dark arts, I just want to make sure I don't make the mistakes others have. Your resources and wisdom is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Forum Stats
12255 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406362 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements