Topic Options
#498159 - 01/23/15 02:53 PM What is the Church of Satan?
Jupiter Offline

Loc: Eden
Please forgive me if the idea of this post is silly, also I'm just curious about this, and as such I want to understand the Church of Satan more.

I respect the Church of Satan and wish more growth and progress, and I make this post because I want to have a deeper understanding, and also I'm curious so it is fine if that kind of information isn't available for the public.

Actually Satanism is the only religion I know that advocate that all churches pay taxes, but I don't quite understand how this is done. I don't know very much about American law, but I'm ready to learn. I wanted to ask if the Church of Satan, is legally a Church according to the law, or it is an organization, a business organization that is just called the "Church" of Satan?

I'm interested in the legal point of view, I don't understand either how Satanists could work on taxing other religions. I mean I can't understand how it should work. frown

I'm perfectly okay if I never did too.

I just want this to be clear to me. And how could churches AND mosques pay taxes, instead of feeding off the whole system.

Thank you.

#498163 - 01/23/15 11:32 PM Re: What is the Church of Satan? [Re: Jupiter]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Jupiter
I want to have a deeper understanding, and also I'm curious so it is fine if that kind of information isn't available for the public.

It's best to go straight to the source. The official website is ChurchofSatan.com. There you'll find an FAQ, a history of the organization, and dozens of essays.

There really isn't any "hidden" information as far as literature goes. Major book store chains and on-line book stores like Amazon.com sell all of our books (works by our founder Anton Szandor LaVey such as The Satanic Bible and The Satanic Rituals current High Priest Peter H. Gilmore's The Satanic Scriptures, etc.; see the website for details). We do keep personal details of our members private for obvious reasons, and we pretty much eschew events for the public since we've found in the past that they're often counter-productive for us. There isn't any baby-eating or goat blood drinking or any of that sort of nonsense, which seems to disappoint journalists.

Quote:
Actually Satanism is the only religion I know that advocate that all churches pay taxes, but I don't quite understand how this is done. I don't know very much about American law, but I'm ready to learn.

These are good questions but rather beyond the scope of this forum. I'm sure you can find some good on-line resources about the U.S. tax system and how religious institutions come into play. Though to give you some brief answers, yes the Church of Satan is recognized as a religious institutions. For example, it's even listed in the U.S. Army Chaplain's handbook along with our associated "beliefs and practices". Religious institutions are normally tax-exempt, but we willingly reject tax-exemption.

Quote:
I don't understand either how Satanists could work on taxing other religions.

Only the government would be able to tax particular religions. If you're asking how Satanists would work towards a goal of seeing religions get taxed, there are a number of things that individual Satanists can do, such as joining and/or supporting lobbying groups that push for the separation of church and state, and whom may actively expose people cheating the system (e.g., a televangelist who tries evading taxes illegally), or shoot down laws trying to be passed by religious groups looking for more tax sheltering. Ultimately though it's up to the individual Satanist, as the Church of Satan does not make any sort of political demands on its members.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#498176 - Yesterday at 05:35 PM Re: What is the Church of Satan? [Re: Bill_M]
Jupiter Offline

Loc: Eden
Thank you. Your insights are inline with what I think I have in mind. I'll continue to study...

Forum Stats
12314 Members
73 Forums
43912 Topics
404609 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements