Topic Options
#498469 - 03/25/15 12:58 AM Introduction
Machiavel Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hi, I'm Trevor. I've been lurking this forum on and off for a few years now and figured it was time to introduce myself, share my thoughts and opinions, learn as much as I can and see where it goes.

I'm currently studying accounting online through a university in Canada and work at a restaurant for a living. I enjoy a wide variety of music, but mostly stick to metal and classical. My favourite composers/bands include Megadeth, Slayer, Behemoth, Gorgoroth, Wagner, Mussorgsky, Camille Saint-Saens, Vivaldi and Beethoven.

I'm sure that sounds a bit strange... metal and classical, right? I can honestly say I love elements of both. I'm tempted to say "to each their own" but that might imply that I'm of the opinion that music is an entirely subjective experience, with no inherent objective value. Not sure where I stand on that, but I'm hoping Ayn Rand's "Romantic Manifesto" provides some food for thought that might help me reach a conclusion.

I play piano at a grade 8 (RCM) level along with some amateur dabbling in guitar and violin.

Wow, devoted a lot more text to music than I thought I would. I suppose it would suffice to say I highly value its contribution to my life, lol.

I read TSB in grade 12, and since then have read at least 1 book by each of the authors mentioned in the introduction by Magus Peter Gilmore, with the exception of "Redbeard." (Which, correct me if I'm wrong, only has the one book accredited to him.)

I found TSB immensely inspiring, and upon reading it in its entirety, immediately identified with LaVeyan Satanism. Since then I have ceased to identify myself as a LaVeyan Satanist, for a variety of reasons but chief among them:

a) I want to know everything I can about said religion and fully understand it to the best of my ability before identifying with it, and

b) I have a few objections/criticisms, but I'll leave that for another time. I should rephrase that. I have questions, not necessarily objections/criticisms. (Although upon further reflection, I may very well end up labeling them as such.)

At one point in my life I was set upon one day becoming an active member of the CoS. Depending on what I think upon studying the subject further I may still desire that in the future. For now my most pertinent goals consist of acquiring my degree, working the field as well as improving myself as a musician.

I hope that wasn't too lengthy, I have a tendency to be long-winded.

If you've read this far, thank you.

HS

#498471 - 03/25/15 02:52 AM Re: Introduction [Re: Machiavel]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
Hello, Machiavel. There is no rush; take your time and decide if the Church of Satan is suitable for you or not. Nonetheless, I will submit that Ayn Rand and Machiavelli are excellent authors related to Satanism. Read some Nietzsche as well, but then again, you probably already have.

I see no contradiction in having an affinity for heavy metal in conjunction with classical music. I admire your musical interests and wish you well in your endeavors.

That said, welcome to LttD!

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#498472 - 03/25/15 03:33 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Dax9]
Machiavel Offline

Thanks Dax9, will do. Even if I someday distance myself from this general line of thought, The Virtue of Selfishness and The Prince will forever remain amongst my favourite books. Although difficult to understand at times, Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil and Antichrist were also great. Thanks again for the warm welcome!

#498474 - 03/25/15 05:02 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Machiavel]
dragondagoth Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Greetings, Trevor:

"I want to know everything I can about said religion and fully understand it to the best of my ability before identifying with it"

If you have not already done so, I would suggest re-reading the Satanic Bible, and then our current High Priest, Magus Peter H. Gilmore's Satanic Scriptures . There is a plethora of information on Church of Satan's website.

"I have a few objections/criticisms, but I'll leave that for another time. I should rephrase that. I have questions, not necessarily objections/criticisms."

Perhaps you do. Keep in mind, with regard to objections and /or criticisms, Satanism is not for everyone. For those of us who have read and connected and identified with the content within the Satanic Bible, we understood that there was a label for us, Satanist. If you have questions, the c/s website has a FAQ you can look through if your questions are not readily available through the Satanic Bible and /or the Satanic Scriptures. Of course you're always welcome to ask your questions here.

It had also come to mind that you used the term "LaVeyan" Satanist. Prior to 1966 there was no formalized religion named, Satanism. Terms such as satanist, satanic were accusatory. After LaVey codified Satanism, only we reserve the right to use the title. Since Satanism is atheism first, it would be inaccurate to use the prefix "theistic" etc., before Satanist. Since we reserve the right to define what Satanism is, it is simple, Satanism /Satanist.

Hope this is helpful. Best of luck on your studies

Regards

-dragondagoth

#498475 - 03/25/15 05:39 PM Re: Introduction [Re: dragondagoth]
Machiavel Offline

Thanks dragondagoth.

While I have read TSB, and am currently reading The Satanic Scriptures, I will study the CoS's website more thoroughly.

Ideally I would like to have read everything by Gilmore, LaVey, Rand, Mencken, Neitzsche, Machiavelli, and others prior to asking questions. However I've been telling myself that for three or four years and and have only is the past year actually gone about doing it. Perhaps I should at least reread TSB, finish the Satanic Scriptures and go through the website before asking anything further. I convey my sincerest appreciate at the suggestion, as it is most definitely a valid one.

In reference to my use of the term "LaVeyan," I must agree. I've simply become accustomed to using it out of habit when explaining it to close friends whose only exposure to what they view as "Satanism" is through bands like Gorgoroth and Hollywood horror films.

I believe I at some point have read the FAQ section, but I will make a point of going over it again to see if any of my questions were answered there. Thanks again!

-Machiavel

#498478 - 03/26/15 02:38 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Machiavel]
Matt Sidious Online

Loc: West Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Machiavel
I enjoy a wide variety of music, but mostly stick to metal and classical. My favourite composers/bands include Megadeth, Slayer, Behemoth, Gorgoroth, Wagner, Mussorgsky, Camille Saint-Saens, Vivaldi and Beethoven.

Hi Machiavel,

I enjoy heavy metal and classic music as well...big fan of Megadeth and Slayer! I think diversity and eccentricity in musical taste makes an interesting person. Remember, as Mark Twain said, all the interesting people will be in Hell. Thus, we must be off to a good start on the path to Satanism. wink

I am new to the LttD forum as well and am also considering joining the COS. I have read the Satanic Bible and the Satanic Scriptures in addition to watching a good amount of interviews/documentaries such as "Speak of the Devil," "Satanis: The Devil's Mass," "Church of Satan Interview Archive" and many videos on YouTube by the COS hierarchy. I have also read a lot of articles from the COS website, which I found to be very useful. Lot's more to learn!

#498479 - 03/26/15 03:20 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Matt Sidious]
Machiavel Offline

Thanks Matt.

I too have viewed a lot of material on youtube, and I believe I have a copy of one of those documentaries sitting around here somewhere on VHS. I too look forward to further studying the subject.

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't read any Mark Twain. He is, however, one of many authors on my "to-read" list. The only exposure I've had is this awesome cartoon I found while browsing youtube.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpaRouocBes[/video]

#498482 - 03/26/15 08:13 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Machiavel]
L'Horreur Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New Hampshire
In reference to my use of the term "LaVeyan," I must agree. I've simply become accustomed to using it out of habit when explaining it to close friends whose only exposure to what they view as "Satanism" is through bands like Gorgoroth and Hollywood horror films.

To put it into perspective.

It's not Jesusian Christianity, it's Christianity.

It's not Buddhan Buddhism, it's Buddhism.

It's not Hubbardian Scientology, it's Scientology.

It's not LaVeyan Satanism, it's Satanism.

Satanism was established in 1966. Prior to this year 'Satanism' was a meaningless buzzword thrown around by Christians.

Doktor LaVey codified the religion and turned it into a tangible organization. There is one man in history who has done that, and it is we who constitute that organization. No one else.

Thanks dragondagoth.Perhaps I should at least reread TSB, finish the Satanic Scriptures and go through the website before asking anything further.

I believe I at some point have read the FAQ section, but I will make a point of going over it again to see if any of my questions were answered there. Thanks again

Good idea. Most of them probably are. Browse through a few pages of LttD and you'll notice the running theme of many users being directed to the FAQ.

One of the many things separating Satanism from other mainstream religions is its cut-and-dry format. Little is left to the imagination. Most (if not all) questions have been answered in one way or another somewhere in the plethora of content provided by members of the hierarchy.

Unlike Christianity and other mystical religions, where promises of Absolute and Universal Knowledge never quite reach fruition (but the collection plate still makes its rounds anyway).

Satanism shows you what it is, up front, in no uncertain terms.

#498492 - Yesterday at 12:11 AM Re: Introduction [Re: L'Horreur]
Machiavel Offline

Thanks L'Horreur,

just finished "Satan Speaks." Moving on to Satanic Witch, continuing Satanic Scriptures and Looking forward to reading the stuff by the CoS Hierarchy when it comes in the mail. Thanks again, all. smile

#498493 - Yesterday at 03:30 AM Re: Introduction [Re: L'Horreur]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Center of my own Universe
Originally Posted By: L'Horreur

Doktor LaVey codified the religion and turned it into a tangible organization. There is one man in history who has done that, and it is we who constitute that organization. No one else.

There´s a lot of organizations out there calling themselves with the terms like "first", "original" or "true" Satanic organization or Church.

the Church of Satan itself does not need any of these extra terms to describe who we are. We are the only organization keeping up Satanism as it is.

Also, Satanism starts from being an atheist so there is no such thing as theism in our philosophy. For that reason the separation between LaVeyan and theistic is futile.

Originally Posted By: L'Horreur

Good idea. Most of them probably are. Browse through a few pages of LttD and you'll notice the running theme of many users being directed to the FAQ.

I would like to recommend also to read this article from the homepage of the Church of Satan:

“Rebels Without Cause”
http://www.churchofsatan.com/rebels-without-cause.php

It has been written by our High Priest, Magus Peter H. Gilmore, and it explains many things.. smile

Forum Stats
12374 Members
73 Forums
43964 Topics
404909 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements