Topic Options
#499930 - 08/02/15 11:55 AM History of Baphomet
James Oliver Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
A similar thread was started here, but I didn't think it was appropriate to piggy-back the original thread, and as the rules state, only CoS members are permitted to reply to threads in this category.

I saw a recent interview in which the guest said that Baphomet is "historic" and at least as old as Mormonism. According to this person, Baphomet is a comparatively modern invention, but from what I've read on the CoS website, there seems to be a connection to King Solomon (who of course goes even further back.) Or am I just mis-reading the reference to the inverted pentagram?

Also, I've heard the argument made that Baphomet is a Christian symbol, or a piece of "graphic vocabulary" to talk about elements within Christianity, since it was created by a gnostic Christian. Is this just nonsense? Or is this a case of Satanism appropriating something that once appeared primarily in a Christian context and making it its own? Much thanks for replies.

Edited by Jakobo deTauxroj (08/02/15 01:51 PM)

#502185 - 01/03/16 07:49 PM Re: History of Baphomet [Re: James Oliver]
RMerciless Offline

CoS Priest

Loc: Washington, DC
The Wikipedia article on "Baphomet" provides a reasonably accurate overview of all the historical uses of that word. Start there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baphomet
Lucifer Muse- My Dark / Ritual Music Project

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44446 Topics
407327 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold