Topic Options
#503799 - 12/08/16 10:50 PM Differences between Atheism and Satanism.
Wecx Offline

I am an Atheist and see very little difference between Atheism and Satanism.

A couple of differences that I see are that Satanism has tenets, sins, and some guidelines or "rules" to live by.

For example, not giving advice unless asked.

Kind of a weird rule I thought.

Are there any other differences that I am missing?

#503815 - 12/09/16 11:36 AM Re: Differences between Atheism and Satanism. [Re: Wecx]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Yes.

Many differences.

You might consider reading my short essay on this topic here:

http://www.churchofsatan.com/simplifying-satanic-atheism.php
BENEATH THE SEVENTH TOWER OF SATAN - Deeper VR ritual.
THE FIRE FROM WITHIN - My book.

My first audio interview on GREATER MAGIC
My second audio interview by Rev Campbell

#503819 - 12/10/16 04:11 PM Re: Differences between Atheism and Satanism. [Re: Nemo]
Wecx Offline

Interesting, your essay really just brings up more questions.

"The kind of atheism we espouse relates to the idea of a PERSON who is all-powerful, all-knowing, and everywhere at once"

This is the most confusing thing I have ever read.

Atheism is the lack of belief in a God, but I see you are an Atheist because you don't believe in a God, but a "person."

I guess there needs to be a new word to describe a belief in an all-powerful person.

If my understanding of your essay is correct, the belief of an all powerful person would indeed make Satanism a religion and not a form of Atheism. You can be an Atheist and Satanist because from what I understand there is no belief in a God, but a person.

Is my understanding correct?

Thank you for your time.

#503828 - 12/11/16 03:51 PM Re: Differences between Atheism and Satanism. [Re: Wecx]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Sadly, your question is also confusing.

Can you try to be more specific?

#503844 - 12/12/16 02:04 PM Re: Differences between Atheism and Satanism. [Re: Nemo]
Wecx Offline

I'm trying to understand this:

"The kind of atheism we espouse relates to the idea of a PERSON who is all-powerful, all-knowing, and everywhere at once"

Thank you for your time.

#503846 - 12/12/16 06:35 PM Re: Differences between Atheism and Satanism. [Re: Wecx]
Rhythmus Offline

Loc: WA
Questions related to the Church of Satan (membership, website, officials, etc) - Please note only Moderators and members of the Priesthood are allowed to reply to topics posted here. All other replies will be deleted.

#503853 - 12/13/16 11:39 AM Re: Differences between Atheism and Satanism. [Re: Wecx]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

I would suggest just taking that sentence in the context of the rest of the essay to make sense of it.

#503890 - 12/29/16 07:00 AM Re: Differences between Atheism and Satanism. [Re: Wecx]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Wecx
I am an Atheist and see very little difference between Atheism and Satanism.

This is like saying "I see little difference between a flower and a tulip". The difference is very simple. There's no need to over-complicate it.

The word atheism means not believing in a deity (a + theos + ism = "without" "deity" "belief"). That's ALL the term means. Period. If you don't believe in an deities, then you are an atheist. Satanism is a non-theistic religion, and one that explicitly asserts that deities are the invention of the human imagination. Therefore, Satanists are atheists too.

Perhaps you've been duped into letting Christianity define "religion" for you, erroneously thinking that "atheism" means "no religion" (it doesn't), or believing that theism is a necessary component for religion (it's not). There are already plenty of atheists who practice some sort non-theistic religion: Theravada Buddhism, Taoism, Raelianism, Church of Scientology, Unitarian churches who include atheists, and so on.

"Atheism" is not a religion for the same reason that "theism", "monotheism", "polytheism", and "deism" aren't: these words only describe ones stance regarding the existence of deities. Merely saying "I am an atheist" doesn't tell you anything about that person's philosophical views or convictions. Needless to say, you can be an atheist and not a Satanist, just as you can be an atheist and none of the non-theistic religions I listed.

Originally Posted By: Wecx
If my understanding of your essay is correct, the belief of an all powerful person would indeed make Satanism a religion and not a form of Atheism.

No, what makes Satanism a religion is the fact that it includes the main components of a religion: philosophy, ethics code, dogma, ceremony, symbolism, and so on. Once again, theism is not a necessary component. The fact that we take a symbolic view in being "our own gods" (read: still not theism) is beside the point.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#503900 - 12/30/16 12:43 AM Re: Differences between Atheism and Satanism. [Re: Mannyowar]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Originally Posted By: Mannyowar

Has the requirement that only members of the Priesthood can reply to questions here been dropped? If it hasn't someone feel free to delete this, and apologies.

The forum description hasn't changed. So, no. The requirement hasn't been dropped.
Prevention of Virtue

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44447 Topics
407327 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold