Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#504271 - 03/22/17 05:55 AM What Is Intelligence?!
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Scandinavia
Share your thoughts about this:

Psychologist Howard Gardner of Harvard University created the Multiple Intelligences Theory which explains the nine ways in which we apply intelligence for different uses. Although his theory has since been adapted and modified to include additional intelligence types, it still remains a foundation for which the intelligence theory is based on. Which one of these do you think applies to you?

1. Linguistic Intelligence

As self-explanatory as the title suggests, this type of intelligence is all about the processing of verbal skills and the ways in which sounds, meanings and rhythms of words communicate information. Using well-developed language to express complex ideas and thoughts is one of the main traits of an individual who has linguistic intelligence. This type of intelligence is popular amongst people such as writers, poets or public speakers.

2. Logical-Mathematical Intelligence

Logical-mathematical intelligence is when an individual has the ability to think analytically in order to discern patterns, whether they are logical or numerical. Considering hypotheses, calculating and completing mathematical operations are some of the traits of somebody with a logical-mathematical mind. People who hold this type of intelligence like to analyse situations in terms of reasoning and patterns, based strongly on logic. This type of intelligence is popular amongst scientists, mathematicians and detectives.

3. Spatial Intelligence

If you think in pictures and images, you’ve more than likely got spatial intelligence. Visualising clearly and accurately is a trait, alongside mental imagery, image manipulation and an active imagination. Artists, painters and architects tend to have this type of intelligence.

4. Bodily-Kinaesthetic Intelligence

This type of intelligence is all about being able to control one’s body effectively and skilfully using a variety of physical skills. This intelligence also places a huge importance on timings and hand-eye co-ordination. Athletes, surgeons and craftspeople tend to have this type of intelligence.

5. Musical Intelligence

The ability to produce, maintain and appreciate music and rhythm is a type of intelligence described as musical intelligence. This type of intelligence is often linked to emotion as the two are very closely tied, with mathematical intelligent people sharing some of the same cognitive traits as those with musical intelligence.

6. Interpersonal Intelligence

Interpersonal intelligence can also be described as empathy, as the two are very similar. People with this type of intelligence can detect and identify with the emotions, desires and motivations of others. Understanding other people is one of the main traits of somebody with interpersonal intelligence and this is showcased in many job types, such as care & social workers, actors, politicians and teachers.

7. Intrapersonal Intelligence

Intrapersonal intelligence is similar to interpersonal, except this type is concerned with detecting and understanding the emotions of oneself, rather than of somebody else. If you feel in tune with your own thoughts and understand yourself well, holding yourself as a priority and being self-motivated are big traits within this intelligence type. Psychologists, writers and philosophers are popular within this group.

8. Naturalist Intelligence

This type of intelligence is perhaps one of the rarest of the list and this type of intelligence appreciates and identifies everything that comes from nature. Whether it is a certain type of plant or a small woodland animal, this type of intelligence is a large part of our evolutionary history and people such as landscape gardeners, chefs or hunters often have this type of intelligence.

9. Existential Intelligence

This type of intelligence mainly concerns philosophers and the deep-thinkers. Existential intelligence belongs to those who question the world, our existence and everything within it, particularly things relating to the human race.

Although some of these types of intelligence go by other names and you may have heard of others (emotional intelligence being a similar but different type of example), these are the basic types of intelligence that can be found in different people. Which one do you fit most into?

http://www.learning-mind.com/types-of-intelligence/

#504282 - 03/27/17 04:42 PM Re: What Is Intelligence?! [Re: LightAngel]
LowKey Online
CoS Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
This is a very interesting post. I've never considered that there are so many different categories of intelligence. I usually just thought of many of the types mentioned here only as talents or skills but I suppose any talent or skill does necessitate a high level of comprehension and utility.

#504289 - 03/28/17 12:12 AM Re: What Is Intelligence?! [Re: LightAngel]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Which one of these do you think applies to you?

A mix of existential, intrapersonal, logical/mathematical, musical, and linguistic, though I think that linguistic intelligence should entail the ability to learn and speak multiple languages. (I only know English) Incidentally, my BA is in philosophy with a minor in English. I love to write short fiction and play guitar.

What about mechanical/engineering intelligence? I think that type of aptitude should have a category of its own.

In the main, I would argue that the most intelligent individuals would excel in many or ALL of these types. For example, take Leonardo da Vinci. Now, that's what I would call an "intelligent" fellow!

coopdevil

Edited by Dax9 (03/28/17 12:14 AM)

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#504294 - 03/28/17 06:55 PM Re: What Is Intelligence?! [Re: LowKey]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: LowKey
This is a very interesting post. I've never considered that there are so many different categories of intelligence. I usually just thought of many of the types mentioned here only as talents or skills but I suppose any talent or skill does necessitate a high level of comprehension and utility.

Exactly smile

#504295 - 03/28/17 07:27 PM Re: What Is Intelligence?! [Re: Triple 6]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: RealJK
Intelligence, at the very least, requires understanding the nature of the word itself. Its derivations and sources. Wouldn't you say?

I think it's important to mention that the conception of intelligence will change because nothing stays the same.

#504296 - 03/28/17 07:35 PM Re: What Is Intelligence?! [Re: Dax9]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: Dax9

In the main, I would argue that the most intelligent individuals would excel in many or ALL of these types.

Well, there is a lot to discuss here, maybe you will find this interesting:

Einstein said, "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." Socrates said, "I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing." For centuries, philosophers have tried to pinpoint the true measure of intelligence. More recently, neuroscientists have entered the debate, searching for answers about intelligence from a scientific perspective: What makes some brains smarter than others? Are intelligent people better at storing and retrieving memories? Or perhaps their neurons have more connections allowing them to creatively combine dissimilar ideas? How does the firing of microscopic neurons lead to the sparks of inspiration behind the atomic bomb? Or to Oscar Wilde's wit?

Uncovering the neural networks involved in intelligence has proved difficult because, unlike, say, memory or emotions, there isn't even a consensus as to what constitutes intelligence in the first place. It is widely accepted that there are different types of intelligence—analytic, linguistic, emotional, to name a few—but psychologists and neuroscientists disagree over whether these intelligences are linked or whether they exist independently from one another.

http://bigthink.com/going-mental/what-is-intelligence-2

#504312 - 03/30/17 11:03 PM Re: What Is Intelligence?! [Re: LightAngel]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Einstein said, "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

Well, sure, I bet most of us would agree that intelligence is something more along the lines of one's ability to think, solve problems, invent, design, or create and not just how much one has read from books. Knowledge gained through experience over time would better be classified as wisdom rather than intelligence.

If you like reading Einstein's thoughts, you may find his Ideas and Opinions engaging if you are not familiar with that book.

I'm not so sure I agree that all the types listed in your original post would qualify as "intelligence". Some of those categories sound more like artistic talents or mere capacity to connect with others (or one's self). Again, I would describe true intelligence as a mental prowess conducive for adaptation, survival, or at least toward one's success or will to power. But that's just my unprofessional opinion.

At the other extreme I suppose it could be argued that there are as many types of intelligence as there are human endeavors, whether they be "good" or "evil". Throughout history serial killers, organized criminals, con artists, and Nazis have exuded forms of superior intelligence.

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#504364 - 04/14/17 07:34 AM Re: What Is Intelligence?! [Re: LightAngel]
Machiavel Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I probably fit more into logical, musical, and existential intelligence. However should we not, as Satanists, constantly strive to improve our own intellectual abilities in all it's aspects, and not just the one we naturally fit into?

I believe the Satanic Witch touches upon this. Something about being naturally dominant/submissive. I used to be pretty submissive/introverted in many ways. I'm the complete opposite now because I put a conscious effort into doing so. I currently apply this newfound intelligence to sales. I suspect if I were to put a conscious effort into other areas of intelligence, I would increase my life skill-set in other ways that do not present occur to me. I sure as hell never thought I'd be selling phones, lol.

#504369 - 04/14/17 03:27 PM Re: What Is Intelligence?! [Re: Machiavel]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Quote:
However should we not, as Satanists, constantly strive to improve our own intellectual abilities in all it's aspects, and not just the one we naturally fit into?

What if you didn't?

This sounds to me like falling into the trap of assigning yourself a value instead of assigning values to what you choose to do.

Discovering that you do not have to assign ANY value to yourself at all is an alien concept but one that is a serious part of Satanism.

I finally created a complete audio program "Discovering the Satanic God" taking 45 minutes to as clearly as possible explain exactly what this means.

Self esteem is the booby prize. To choose to be your own God is to drop any form of self-evaluation at all.

Try it. You'll like it! smile
BENEATH THE SEVENTH TOWER OF SATAN - Deeper VR ritual.
THE FIRE FROM WITHIN - My book.

My first audio interview on GREATER MAGIC
My second audio interview by Rev Campbell

#504374 - 04/16/17 06:25 PM Re: What Is Intelligence?! [Re: LightAngel]
miskatonic alum Offline

Loc: pacific northwest
Problem solving seems to be the basis of intelligence. There are useful skills, and things that require self discipline combined with natural inclination, but I hesitate to call it intelligence. To me self discipline and inclination are great, but they don't involve intellect so much as character and luck. I'm thinking mostly about the bodily kinestetic definition of intelligence with my criticism of the theory in the op.

#504431 - 05/08/17 10:49 AM Re: What Is Intelligence?! [Re: LightAngel]
icklecat Offline

If you like Gardener's Multiple Intelligence, you'll probably like Spearman's concept of g
General info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_factor_(psychometrics)

G is a measure designed to test general intelligence, aimed to overcome issues from the IQ tests. It's a bit more tricky to measure but uses more variables to get a better picture of how intelligent a person is overall, rather than IQ tests which can have a lot of bias towards certain types of intellect.

#504432 - 05/08/17 01:27 PM Aside on intelligence tests... [Re: icklecat]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
I recall how in the U.S. Army there was a "GT" test.

I was carefully informed it stood for "General Telligence". grin
BENEATH THE SEVENTH TOWER OF SATAN - Deeper VR ritual.
THE FIRE FROM WITHIN - My book.

My first audio interview on GREATER MAGIC
My second audio interview by Rev Campbell

#504508 - 06/09/17 10:21 PM Re: Aside on intelligence tests... [Re: Nemo]
Nufan Offline

Originally Posted By: Nemo
I recall how in the U.S. Army there was a "GT" test.

I was carefully informed it stood for "General Telligence". grin

Haha. General trainability is what I was told. I like your definition better.

I have music, math/logic, and existential as intelligence. I am good at certain inter/intrapersonal things, but honestly I am not good at peopling. (Grammar is great too)

I need time to really communicate which is horrible when someone is demanding an answer right away

Edited by Nufan (06/09/17 10:22 PM)

#504562 - 06/27/17 06:43 AM Re: What Is Intelligence?! [Re: LightAngel]
LightAngel Offline

#504563 - 06/27/17 11:10 AM Re: Aside on intelligence tests... [Re: Nufan]
Hope Offline

Who can I talk to if I have a problem with a post..thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44435 Topics