Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#504337 - 04/02/17 04:38 PM Why did official membership appeal to you?
Dannie Offline

Loc: WA
May I ask people to share why they decided to join the CoS? You were already living the lifestyle. What prompted you to go the next step, do the paperwork, and be an official member?

Did you need or appreciate the structure? Did it help you feel validated or less lonely in your personal choices? Is it simply nice to know that you belong somewhere, and with like-minded people?

Through time and consideration, I have accepted that I align with the lifestyle and personal opinions the CoS maintains. But as it does seem to be more of a lifestyle than anything else, I’m not sure why I should go through with the effort of officially “joining.”

I am going to live this lifestyle whether or not I officially belong to a group. So I would like to ask what is has done for you. What made you decide to go from living this way to officially aligning this way?

Thank you for reading and maybe sharing with me. This is my first post, so I apologize if this has been addressed. There is a lot of material to go through and I suppose I was hoping for a personal touch. At the mods, I'm sorry if I have made a repetitive post. Thanks again.

#504339 - 04/02/17 04:55 PM Re: Why did official membership appeal to you? [Re: Dannie]
LowKey Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
I can give you two reasons why I joined:

1)Out of respect for the man who codified Satanism and founded an organization that supports people who live by its tenets.

2)As a symbolic act representing my dedication to living by my true nature.

I would agree that, unless you feel a need or desire to join, you shouldn't.

#504340 - 04/02/17 05:02 PM Re: Why did official membership appeal to you? [Re: LowKey]
Dannie Offline

Thank you for your input! I appreciate various points of view.

I will continue to do my homework and do what feels right along the way. Should I feel compelled to officially join one day, then I will consider more thoroughly.

#504341 - 04/02/17 06:08 PM Re: Why did official membership appeal to you? [Re: Dannie]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
There are those on the inside and those on the outside.

If you are on the inside you get invitations to special events such as the Hellfire Caves Conclave outside of London or the 50th Anniversary celebration Conclaves in Washington DC and the Hudson Valley, and the 6/6/6 Conclave Satanic Mass held in Los Angeles.

If you are on the inside then you get to meet with other insiders.

Connections there can be satisfying and beneficial.

It is a choice and not a necessity but it remains a choice I have found to be very fulfilling.

Some of the most amazing people and events opened up to me as an insider.

I think that about sums it up.
BENEATH THE SEVENTH TOWER OF SATAN - Deeper VR ritual.
THE FIRE FROM WITHIN - My book.

My first audio interview on GREATER MAGIC
My second audio interview by Rev Campbell

#504344 - 04/02/17 06:58 PM Re: Why did official membership appeal to you? [Re: Nemo]
Dannie Offline

Ah. The idea of a community was something I was hoping to find. My social life outside of work is lacking. It'd be nice to have friends for game nights or something. And I figure if I can find anyone via this outlet, surely we'll get along. I'll have to keep that in mind. Thank you!

#504345 - 04/02/17 07:59 PM A word of caution [Re: Dannie]
Citizen_Horror Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: Dannie
Ah. The idea of a community was something I was hoping to find.

If your sole intention is social interaction, you'll be disappointed.

Satanism is a cabal of like-minded individuals, not a social group. Applying for membership doesn't guarantee that you'll meet other Satanists.

Sure, you might get invitations to certain events, such as the 6/6/6 and 50th Anniversary occasions that Magister Nemo mentioned, but those are few and far between.

Otherwise, simply affiliating does not guarantee that you will meet anyone in the organization.

Check out Magus Gilmore's Myth of the Satanic Community and Other Virtual Delusions in the FAQ for more information.

Oh, and check out the FAQ if you haven't already.

#504346 - 04/02/17 09:10 PM Re: A word of caution [Re: Citizen_Horror]
St. Lucifer Offline

It's always seemed like more of an intellectual camaraderie anyways. You can't expect too much in the way of actual gatherings. It's more just... Knowing others out there think as you do.

#504347 - 04/02/17 09:26 PM Re: A word of caution [Re: Citizen_Horror]
Dannie Offline

Fortunately, the social aspect isn't a make or break it factor for me. Admittedly, I would have found it nice to have the occasional Satanic board game meet up, haha. But it's not what I'm here for.

Thank you very much for sharing the Myths link. Very entertaining and informative. It reminded me that what I've been learning thus far is that if I identify as Satanist, I should really be focusing on me, what I like, and what I'm interested in. And therefor, if I seek a social group, it should be based solely on those interests and not the fact that members may have Satanism in common. Many points in that read worth highlighting. Thanks!

I also need to accept that the reason I don't have a social group is because by the time I'm done with work, all I want to do is go home and rest. Hahaaa.

#504349 - 04/03/17 03:09 PM Re: Why did official membership appeal to you? [Re: Dannie]
Haman Caiaphas Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Spain
Quote:
Anyone who resists affiliation with the Church of Satan yet draws from it for any reason, personal or financial, is not independent, only parasitic. (Anton Szandor LaVey, "Get a Life.")

I strongly recommend reading the whole article here.

#504350 - 04/03/17 03:33 PM Re: A word of caution [Re: St. Lucifer]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

I should add that it isn't just a matter of "Now I get invitations from the Church of Satan".

I have made lasting friendships with people all over the world.

Sometimes I visit them and sometimes they visit me too.

That's another part of being on the "inside".

#504354 - 04/04/17 10:45 PM Re: A word of caution [Re: Dannie]
Dax9 Online

CoS Member

Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
Greetings, Dannie!

As I tell all newcomers to LttD you may also wish to join the unofficial Church of Satan group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/thechurchofsatan/

By all means I'm not trying to belittle the value of LttD, but unfortunately, activity on these forums has declined greatly in the last few years as Satanically inclined folks have migrated to FB. You are guaranteed much more interaction on the FB group than here on LttD.

Anyway, enjoy your study of Satanism! HS!

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#504355 - 04/05/17 12:10 PM Re: A word of caution [Re: Dax9]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

And I will add that if you tire of disjointed communications in social media structures like Facebook, the intelligent "connected conversations" of this message board format work much better.

Just a strong bias that I have in having tried both mediums.

To be elite is not merely to be with a crowd.

Often it is quite the opposite. wink

#504356 - 04/05/17 06:55 PM Re: A word of caution [Re: Nemo]
Dannie Offline

Frankly, I'm more active here than I have been on FB in the last few years.

In other news, I finally got my hands on a copy of The Satanic Scriptures! The Satanic Bible was a quick read due to a curious thirst. I'm glad this book seems to have more content, because I have plenty of questions. I'm aware that there are varying opinions on the content in TSS, but I'm hoping it'll address some of my more specific questions.

I really am trying to do my own research with official sources. I know asking people can get me opinions rather than facts, though you all seem good about linking to sources. c:

I initially asked for opinions on official membership. Membership will stay at the back of my mind until all my wonders and doubts have been addressed. Thank you, everyone!

Edited by Dannie (04/05/17 06:56 PM)

#504357 - 04/06/17 12:38 PM Trustworthy answers. [Re: Dannie]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Anytime you want authoritative answers about the Church of Satan just post your question in the "Questions about the Church of Satan" forum.

Only moderators and members of the Priesthood will answer there.

When you post questions here in "General Satanism Discussions" the replies can come from anyone and should not be assumed to be correct.

#504452 - 05/16/17 06:23 PM Re: Why did official membership appeal to you? [Re: Dannie]
Fallen88 Offline

Loc: USA
I was raised Catholic, but was always attracted to a "darker" side. The priest at our church had an intimate relationship with a woman. Made me question myself a whole lot. Was that the same guy that would tell me how to live my life, or come down on me for skipping mass?! After so many years of fighting within myself about where they think I should be, and where I think I should be, decided I'm going with where I think I should be. Day 1 for me on here. Looking forward to learning more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44434 Topics
407317 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold