Topic Options
#504372 - 04/15/17 11:16 PM Yes, We Have No Occultism
Dax9 Online

CoS Member

Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
Just in case those who would be interested have not seen Magus Gilmore's new essay, HERE it is! coopdevil

Next time someone tries to argue that the Church of Satan's agenda includes devil worship, contacting spooks, any type of theism, or spiritual initiations, refer them to this article!

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#504387 - 04/22/17 06:37 PM Re: Yes, We Have No Occultism [Re: Dax9]
DynamicImplement Offline

The Magus was very concise. I was impressed by this essay. Many very popular former members offer sharp criticism of this perspective. The Magus, though a wise businessman, is essentially playing 'the long game.'

I would note however...that he is gambling. Although the purely atheistic philosophy The Church of Satan is promoting is mostly solid and worthy of praise the "pretenders to the throne" they have faced thus far have been men of little consequence.

I would urge them to use caution, however that would do little good, they only respect power... Anton tried multiple times to warn adherents against such blind respect of power. Many have listened and sadly many have not.

Anton was about having fun and being a free thinker, hopefully The Church of Satan can make adjustments.

#504390 - 04/23/17 12:33 AM Re: Yes, We Have No Occultism [Re: DynamicImplement]
Dax9 Online

CoS Member

I don't quite follow your odd choice of words. Why do you describe Magus Gilmore as "gambling"? Just what does he have to lose and why should he care how detractors criticize the Church of Satan? As you state yourself, these men (detractors) have all been persons of little consequence. Those who have left the CoS in pursuit of "their own thing" are simply not practicing Satanism anymore. The core philosophy of the CoS has not and will not change to appease outsiders.

Quote:
hopefully The Church of Satan can make adjustments.

Why in the hell would the CoS need to "make adjustments"? After over fifty years the fundamental philosophy and doctrines have not altered and, more importantly, there is no need for any revisions. In other words, the CoS is very much alive and well and doing fine.

Lastly, I would refrain from referring to Doktor LaVey as simply "Anton". Would you refer to a celebrated writer or academic -- in a public forum -- such as Bertrand Russell as simply "Bert"? At best it sounds frivolous and juvenile; at worst it comes off as disrespectful. Even members who had the pleasure of earning Doktor LaVey's friendship still did not call him just "Anton".

-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#504391 - 04/23/17 12:46 AM Re: Yes, We Have No Occultism [Re: Dax9]
DynamicImplement Offline

"Lastly, I would refrain from referring to Doktor LaVey as simply "Anton"."

This is unfortunately a perfect example of what Anton warned his adherents of for many years.

Edited by DynamicImplement (04/23/17 12:46 AM)

#504397 - 04/23/17 11:30 PM Re: Yes, We Have No Occultism [Re: DynamicImplement]
Dax9 Online

CoS Member

Originally Posted By: DynamicImplement
"Lastly, I would refrain from referring to Doktor LaVey as simply "Anton"."

This is unfortunately a perfect example of what Anton warned his adherents of for many years.

No it isn't; not by far. You're confusing independent thought with carelessly ignoring common etiquette in writing and courtesy. Imagine if you were reading a secondary source on the author Mark Twain. Surely, you can appreciate how ludicrous and unprofessional it would look if the writer of the article began with a sentence such as "In his novel The Adventures of Tom Sawyer Mark uses the following metaphors...."

As for an in person encounter, let's say you were going to meet a university professor for the first time whom you admired and hoped to win his favor: To be sure, most of us wouldn't prance into his office and playfully call him by his first name as if he were a buddy we played video games with online. No, (most of us) would address him by his title followed by his last name. Clearly, that would have nothing to do with hero worship or "kissing ass". That would just be an example of mature, adult interpersonal skills, or as we say in the CoS, Lesser Magic.

Quote:
If you mean changes to the core philosophy, The Satanic Bible will not be changed b/c it would a very cruel joke to attempt that.

Of course I meant the core philosophy! I can't fathom what else you could have possibly thought I meant based on my last response. You basically just repeated what I stated.

Quote:
That being said, I think you vastly underestimate the Priesthood. Millions of people everyday use the phrase "nothing to lose." They usually learn very fast. Operating a corporate entity that is unaffected by financial highs and lows does not except you from that.

On the contrary I am quite confident in the abilities of the CoS Priesthood of Mendes. I have attended two conclaves and a Devil's Reign art exhibition all organized, managed, and run by members of the CoS hierarchy. Further, I am familiar with the books, artwork, and real world achievements of quite a few members of the Priesthood. Your claim that I underestimate the Priesthood is ill founded, based on absolutely nothing I have said or nothing you could possibly know about me.

What do you mean in the last two sentences of your last post? Are you saying that the Church of Satan as an organization is unaffected by financial highs and lows??? If so, then you are obviously unaware that the CoS pays taxes and has indeed had ups and downs in its history.

-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#504509 - 06/09/17 10:38 PM Re: Yes, We Have No Occultism [Re: Dax9]
Nufan Offline

I think some people think free will means absolute anarchy and some believe free will requires regulated order.

I have also heard that order comes from chaos. Is this natural?

#504511 - 06/09/17 11:06 PM Re: Yes, We Have No Occultism [Re: Nufan]
Dax9 Online

CoS Member

Wow, free will/determinism & order/chaos are huge topics that we are not going to be able to resolve here...not by a long shot! eek In fact, I don't even think those topics are appropriate for this particular forum which is simply dedicated to:

Quote:
Examples of the Satanic Philosophy, Articles, Essays, News Clippings, Videos, Interviews, etc.

What I will say, though, is that Satanists tend to not spend too much time speculating on such issues (theories on which cannot really be proven). Satanists focus on what is practical and useful! coopdevil

-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#504512 - 06/10/17 12:11 PM Re: Yes, We Have No Occultism [Re: Dax9]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Quote:
Satanists focus on what is practical and useful!

I could not agree more.

So the question would be is it MORE practical and useful to assume you DO have the free will to decide what to do in your life or not? wink

Frankly if you assume you do NOT have free will then any guidelines for living your life (such as Satanism is filled with) would be utterly pointless.

It would be equal to trying to teach your cat to text you in Latin. grin
BENEATH THE SEVENTH TOWER OF SATAN - Deeper VR ritual.
THE FIRE FROM WITHIN - My book.

My first audio interview on GREATER MAGIC
My second audio interview by Rev Campbell

Moderator:  LKRice 

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44434 Topics
407317 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold