Topic Options
#504584 - 07/01/17 04:17 PM The Black Sun of LII a.s.
Baron Karza Offline

Loc: 39.1031� N, 84.5120� W
I am very much looking forward to the total solar eclipse occurring on August 21 of this year (LII a.s.)

All of my life I have wanted to witness such an event, but I have never been able to. This time around, it seems fortune is smiling upon me. I happen to live only six hours from the point of greatest duration. I plan on taking the day off from work, packing a cooler full of food, and driving my family out to see this happen.

My daughters are starting school on Aug. 21, and I've already told them they are going to miss their first day of school for 2017. (The education system sucks anyway, so I don't caremy girls will benefit more from this event than from anything they learn all year in school!)

Anybody who might be interested in witnessing this once in a lifetime event might want to see this:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/interactive_map/index.html

(hyperlink won't work for some reason ... fuck it, just cut and paste, or type "eclipse 2017" into google.)

Is there anyone else out there who is planning on seeing this magnificent event? Is there anybody out there who has knowledge of the best way to experience an eclipse? Does anyone have any stories about past eclipses they have seen?

I would appreciate any useful feedback. This will be my family's first (and probably only) total eclipse - I want to do everything I can to make it as excellent as possible.

Thanks.

"You create your own. If you can't figure that one out, you're not much of a magician."

- Anton Szandor LaVey

#504585 - 07/01/17 05:12 PM Re: The Black Sun of LII a.s. [Re: Baron Karza]
Miss Lovely Offline

Loc: Connecticut (CT)
I watched a partial solar eclipse when I was younger. It was the best thing I ever did with my father, so I'm happy you are taking the kids out!

I remember poking a hole in a piece of cardboard with a pen to watch the eclipse. It was okay. I'm sure google has some better ways to watch one, though.

A simple complication.
A beautiful disaster.
Unnatural. Unwavering.

#504587 - 07/01/17 06:56 PM Re: The Black Sun of LII a.s. [Re: Miss Lovely]
Baron Karza Offline

I know about the cardboard trick, I was going to buy some welding lenses - I have to find out what the darkest shade is, but I wanted to make some kind of "viewing lenses" for my girls so that they can watch the entire event without burning out their retinas.

My biggest concern is the weather for that day, and I'm hoping I can find an up-to-the-minute weather report for the area I plan on traveling to...I don't want to experience the eclipse behind a shroud of clouds.

Thank you for your response.

"You create your own. If you can't figure that one out, you're not much of a magician."

- Anton Szandor LaVey

#504589 - 07/02/17 08:13 AM Re: The Black Sun of LII a.s. [Re: Baron Karza]
Miss Lovely Offline

If it happens to be cloudy, I know there will be some news stations live streaming the event. It's not as spectacular, but it'll still be something worth showing to your girls. I remember that time with my dad so excited about the eclipse, I remember him more than I remember the eclipse. So it's worth it.

Best of luck with the weather! I hope it stays mostly clear for you. I'm in the North East so I'll only see a partial and I'll be at work during the time.

A simple complication.
A beautiful disaster.
Unnatural. Unwavering.

#504596 - 07/03/17 01:38 PM Re: The Black Sun of LII a.s. [Re: Miss Lovely]
Baron Karza Offline

Thank you again, Miss Lovely for your personal and informed response.

I must admit I am disappointed in the apparent lack of enthusiasm concerning this particular topic on this message board - especially among those that supposedly live in the real world.

When Lucifer and Leviathan get together and dance, it is truly a magnificent experience that should not be missed!

I hope you get to witness this event, and at the same time perhaps resurrect the beautiful memory of your father. Both of you deserve the opportunity.

IMHO

- Anton Szandor LaVey

#504665 - 07/16/17 04:56 PM Re: The Black Sun of LII a.s. [Re: Baron Karza]
Miss Lovely Offline

I just saw some glasses on Amazon that are meant for viewing a solar eclipse. I thought I'd share since you plan on taking your family.

A simple complication.
A beautiful disaster.
Unnatural. Unwavering.

#504666 - 07/16/17 09:02 PM Re: The Black Sun of LII a.s. [Re: Miss Lovely]
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Haysville, KS.
I don't trust any device who's instructions are: "Look directly at sun."

I hope I have that day off to spend with my niece and nephew. Showing how cool science is starts early.

Edited by Citizen Jonesy (07/16/17 09:04 PM)
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Currently being updated and expanded!

#504675 - 07/17/17 07:25 PM Re: The Black Sun of LII a.s. [Re: Citizen Jonesy]
Baron Karza Offline

"I don't trust any device who's instructions are: "Look directly at sun."

Holy Shit...such a brilliant insight ... thanks so much!

"Showing how cool science is starts early."

And yet you obviously don't understand enough about science to find a shaded lens dark enough to "look directly at the sun".

Shut the fuck up.

ooops! am I being to unbecoming?

- Anton Szandor LaVey

Forum Stats
13164 Members
73 Forums
44437 Topics
407314 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold