Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#504698 - 07/26/17 04:11 PM Are you open about being a Satanist?
Skinner Offline

Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering whether or not people openly announce that they are a satanist? I only ask this as equality is part of the law now and every workplace has to follow the quality act of not judging someone based on their beliefs.

However, in the Frequently asked questions section of the website there is a question regarding openly announcing if you are a satanist in the military. This is discouraged due to the possibility of personal vendettas of those around you in the military.

This all brings me to the conclusion that surely people should be allowed to openly discuss their religion and the philosophies that they follow, but at the same time there is still this misconception about satanism as being "evil".

So I was just wondering what satanists do when it comes to openly announcing that you're a Satanist both in the workplace, as well as with friends and family? Would you encourage it? or would you discourage it?

Thank you

Edited by Skinner (07/26/17 04:12 PM)

#504699 - 07/26/17 05:08 PM Re: Are you open about being a Satanist? [Re: Skinner]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Quote:
So I was just wondering what satanists do when it comes to openly announcing that you're a Satanist both in the workplace, as well as with friends and family? Would you encourage it? or would you discourage it?

The short answer is that if you have to ask then you probably shouldn't do it.

A secret told to another is a secret no longer.

Some rabbits cannot be pushed back into the magician's hat! grin
BENEATH THE SEVENTH TOWER OF SATAN - Deeper VR ritual.
THE FIRE FROM WITHIN - My book.

My first audio interview on GREATER MAGIC
My second audio interview by Rev Campbell

#504700 - 07/27/17 12:24 AM Re: Are you open about being a Satanist? [Re: Skinner]
Phillip Offline

Loc: Ottawa Canada
I consider myself a Luciferian Satanist
as I agree with both Michael W. Ford and Anton Lavey.
And yes I am open about my beliefs.
However it does cause problems where I live.
Sadly most folk here are intolerant towards People of the Left Hand Path.
Navy approves first ever Satanist
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3948329.stm

#504703 - 07/27/17 07:24 AM Re: Are you open about being a Satanist? [Re: Nemo]
Skinner Offline

I see exactly what you mean Magister Nemo.

Sometimes it is better to be safe than sorry. Especially as once it is announced, it could be held against you for a very long time.

However, that is the factor that I find very annoying. The fact that Satanism is not an organisation that a lot people accept.

Thank you for the reply. I am a big fan of your work.

#504704 - 07/27/17 07:28 AM Re: Are you open about being a Satanist? [Re: Phillip]
Skinner Offline

Originally Posted By: Phillip
However it does cause problems where I live.

I hope you do not mind me asking but what kind have problems have you experienced?

Has it impacted your job? Your social life?

Have these problems ever made you regret being open about satanism?

Thank you for the reply.

#504705 - 07/27/17 07:32 AM Re: Are you open about being a Satanist? [Re: Skinner]
Mannyowar Offline

CoS Member

Loc: London, England
Personally I've never seen the need to either announce to anybody that I'm a Satanist, or hide the fact. Of course there are some countries where being a Satanist openly could land you in jail or even executed, but for most of us in the West that isn't the case.

If someone at work asks about my Baphomet pendant (happened 2 or 3 times in the 18 odd years I've had it) I'll tell them what it is and direct them to the COS website, but I don't feel any need to drop it into conversation for the sake of it. Yes, some people probably will make negative assumptions about me based on their prejudices, but they could also do that about my skin colour, my tattoos, the fact that I'm a Metal fan etc etc. Some of those things I can hide, some I can't. They are all part of who I am, and if someone has a problem with any of them, I say fuck them coopdevil

Something I've noticed over the years, a lot of people have one thing in particular that they feel is their major defining characteristic. Usually either their race, their religion or their sexuality. Whenever they feel they have been discriminated against or treated unfairly, they then assume it is because of prejudice against that particular characteristic. The fact that maybe the other person just thought they were a bit of an arsehole never enters their head! It's a lot easier on the ego to look for discrimination than accept the fact that someone just didn't like you, hence why you didn't get that promotion you feel you deserve etc etc.

#504706 - 07/27/17 08:48 AM Re: Are you open about being a Satanist? [Re: Skinner]
Citizen_Horror Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: Skinner
I was just wondering whether or not people openly announce that they are a satanist? I only ask this as equality is part of the law now and every workplace has to follow the quality act of not judging someone based on their beliefs.

Technically, yes -- employers are required to practice indifference regarding an individual's religious inclinations.

However just because that's the way the world SHOULD be, doesn't mean that's the way it IS.

Sure, announcing your religious stance at work isn't enough to get you in trouble.

However, as Mannyowar touched on, you might be "overlooked" for a promotion.

You might be written up for being two minutes late for your shift, when previously your boss may have let it pass.

You might start noticing that you're being written up more often for performance issues and eventually fired.

None of these have to do with your religion if a court looks at the evidence, however.

Catch my drift?

Additionally, look at the whole picture. Announcing affiliation with the CoS can impact more than your career.

For example, a friend of mine was attending a karate dojo some time ago. When the owner of the dojo found out about my friend's CoS affiliation, the owner kicked my friend out of the dojo.

That decision WAS based on religion. But, businesses reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason, including religion.

Is that the way it SHOULD be? No. Is that the way it IS? Yes.

Announcing your affiliation boils down to YOU. For some, going public helps them. For others, their strength is in secrecy.

If you think going public will benefit you, by all means go for it.

If you think secrecy is the way to go, keep it a secret.

Personally, I agree with Nemo -- if you have to ask, then you're probably better off keeping it a secret, at least for the time being.

#504707 - 07/27/17 05:12 PM Re: Are you open about being a Satanist? [Re: Skinner]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Thanks for your very kind words.

Quote:
However, that is the factor that I find very annoying. The fact that Satanism is not an organisation that a lot people accept.

At the same time it is often the price that comes with being elite.

Being elite can cause rejection from those who do not feel that anything but universal sameness is "okay".

Hence they target anyone or anything that stands out as "not just the same".

But as Bruce Lee once put it, "They only chase the guy with the ball." grin
BENEATH THE SEVENTH TOWER OF SATAN - Deeper VR ritual.
THE FIRE FROM WITHIN - My book.

My first audio interview on GREATER MAGIC
My second audio interview by Rev Campbell

#504708 - 07/28/17 02:10 AM Re: Are you open about being a Satanist? [Re: Skinner]
Phillip Offline

Loc: Ottawa Canada
Well I wear my Satanic Pentagram & Pazuzu Necklace openly,
I read books on the left hand path at the food court at the mall during quiet period. I have had idiots insult me threaten me with violence .
Which I reply why do you not just live & let live, now just go away.
I have stood my ground on many occasions and it has been quite unpleasant. But I am proud to be a Luciferian/ Satanist and I will not hide my beliefs. As far as work is concerned I am open about it
and it has not caused any problems.
I tend to be left alone.

#504709 - 07/28/17 03:22 AM Re: Are you open about being a Satanist? [Re: Mannyowar]
Skinner Offline

Originally Posted By: Mannyowar
If someone at work asks about my Baphomet pendant (happened 2 or 3 times in the 18 odd years I've had it) I'll tell them what it is and direct them to the COS website

What were the reactions of those who asked about the pendant? Were they understanding? Were they actually interested?

Thank you for the reply. You made a lot of good points.

#504710 - 07/28/17 07:53 AM Re: Are you open about being a Satanist? [Re: Skinner]
Mannyowar Offline

CoS Member

Loc: London, England
One girl I remember said something like "cool, good for you", but no one ever came back and said they'd looked up what Satanism is about and I've never asked. I'm happy to be left alone at work anyway!

I think another thing to consider is, what are people's opinions and expectations of you anyway? I am a Metal fan and have always dressed as such, long before I had even read the Satanic Bible I was wearing a pewter goat's head in a pentagram pendant, and many of my t shirts have devilish looking designs. I doubt many people outside the Church of Satan membership would know the difference between an authentic COS baphomet and the design on Venom's Welcome to Hell album (still an all time favourite!) , so I reckon it would have caused much more of a stir at work if I'd started wearing a gold crucifix, or been seen reading the Christian Bible in my breaks! On the other hand, if you're the clean-cut suit and tie guy who suddenly starts sporting a Baphomet medallion....

#504714 - 07/30/17 04:01 PM Re: Are you open about being a Satanist? [Re: Skinner]
Soleila Offline

Loc: Sweden
Generally I keep it to myself.
I don't feel the need to advertise the fact that I am a Satanist. I have however chosen to tell my family and a few friends of mine. I don't talk about it at work because I personally am not interested in discussing religious topic at work. I think for me it's important to know my audience and to keep in mind that the general public has zero knowledge about what it means to be a Satanist, therefor I am selective as to who I tell. I don't feel like I'm keeping a secret, I view it more as being tactful. Being open or not about being a Satanist essentially comes down to what works best for you.

#504716 - 07/30/17 10:56 PM Re: Are you open about being a Satanist? [Re: Skinner]
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Haysville, KS.
I don't even tell people what I had for breakfast.
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Currently being updated and expanded!

#504719 - 07/31/17 12:55 PM Re: Are you open about being a Satanist? [Re: Skinner]
muaddib Offline

Personally, I feel that revealing that your are a Satanist in many situations is not satanic. I will even go further and argue that going public with respect to ones Satanism is at minimum tantamount to committing the Cardinal Satanic Sin: Stupidity. It is my understanding that true Satanism is at its essence the exploration, expression and comportment of ones internal world to control and cause actions in the external world. Revealing ones satanism has, in my personal experience, greatly hampered my LBM activities. So, as you can see, I have acted stupidly in my lifetime by revealing my philosophical predilections, hopefully, I will have the discipline to not act foolishly again. I would say not only was I stupid, but I committed the 8th Satanic Sin, "Counterproductive Pride". Click here for The Nine Satanic Sins

#504727 - 08/01/17 09:00 AM Re: Are you open about being a Satanist? [Re: Skinner]
Sigil Offline

Loc: In, usa
Like some others, I neither hide nor proclaim my satanic beliefs.

Those who have asked me were given honest answers, and seemed neutral about the whole thing, which is fine by me. I avoid religious debate, simply because I'm not out to convert. (Duh).

Just writing the above reminds me of a time I got "witnessed" to by a couple of old Christian ladies. What a hoot that was, haha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44454 Topics
407335 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold