Topic Options
#504768 - 08/08/17 05:04 PM Satanic Music
Baron Karza Offline

Loc: 39.1031� N, 84.5120� W
In Blanche Barton's "Church of Satan", we are given a short list of popular music that Dr. LaVey felt was Satanic. As any Satanist knows, these songs have as much to do with Dr. LaVey's personal "ECI" as they do with their lyrical content.

I was born much later than Dr. LaVey, and therefore my personal ECI is very different from the songs from the "War Years." I've listened to just about everything from the 1960's to the 1990's ... after that, I stopped paying any attention to popular music.

Within this thirty-year span, I have found a lot of popular music that I would consider "Satanic", partly because of my own ECI, and partly because of the lyrics and the "message" in the song.

Obviously, any song that "speaks" to you could be considered "Satanic", however I am trying to limit this list to songs whose lyrics actually express Satanic ideas (perhaps open to interpretation).

I would ask and encourage you to add some songs of your own. Here are a few of my choices:

1. "Sound of Silence" (Simon and Garfunkel) - A song about an individual set apart from the herd, trying to make his/her voice heard amidst their ignorance.

2. "Witch Hunt" (Rush) - A song about the herd turning ugly, resorting to persecution, oppression, and, well ... witch hunts.

3. "Dear God" (XTC) - A song about an individual's reasons for non-belief.

Please comment on my choices and add your own.

I would enjoy seeing a list of "modern" Satanic songs, as I'm sure I haven't heard them all. I would hope this is something we all might enjoy contributing to.

Hail!

"You create your own. If you can't figure that one out, you're not much of a magician."

- Anton Szandor LaVey

#504769 - 08/08/17 08:41 PM Re: Satanic Music [Re: Baron Karza]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
Sure, I'll give you a song:

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#504770 - 08/09/17 03:08 AM Re: Satanic Music [Re: Baron Karza]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
Buddy Holly -- Well Alright.

"We're gonna live and love with all our might!"

#504771 - 08/09/17 07:59 AM Re: Satanic Music [Re: Baron Karza]
LowKey Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
Have you listened to any of Nathan Gray's solo music (a.k.a. Nathan Gray Collective)? He's a Reverend in CoS. His lyrics and subject matter are very personal but, at the same time, very Satanic. The music is dark and melancholy, so it might not be for everyone, but if you dig that sort of thing, check him out.

#504772 - 08/09/17 03:47 PM Re: Satanic Music [Re: Baron Karza]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Check out Danse De Sade also. There are some CoS members in that band as well.

-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#504773 - 08/09/17 06:13 PM Re: Satanic Music [Re: Baron Karza]
Mr_Atrox Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lycopolis

BLOOD & HONOR

#504777 - 08/10/17 07:35 PM Re: Satanic Music [Re: Baron Karza]
Skulls7 Offline

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho

Hail Satan!

#504778 - 08/10/17 08:07 PM Re: Satanic Music [Re: Baron Karza]
Baron Karza Offline

Loc: 39.1031� N, 84.5120� W
Nice to see so many responses!

I can honestly say I have not heard any of these songs...I look forward to hearing them when I have the time.

Keep in mind, there are perhaps millions of songs by "satanic artists"- I was hoping to find songs that are (or were) more mainstream (popular) ... that is, songs that one might actually hear played in public (radio, MTV, your grandparent's house, etc.)

Here are a few more examples:

Sympathy for the Devil - The Rolling Stones: Obviously...

Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin: This song is legendary among christian cryptos - if you play it backwards, you'll hear messages to the Devil Himself!

The Writ - Black Sabbath: Not their most popular song, however very Satanic in its lyrical content.

Keep them coming folks!

"You create your own. If you can't figure that one out, you're not much of a magician."

- Anton Szandor LaVey

#504780 - 08/11/17 10:13 AM Re: Satanic Music [Re: Baron Karza]
Skulls7 Offline

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho

Hail Satan!

#504782 - 08/11/17 11:36 PM Re: Satanic Music [Re: Baron Karza]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Well, besides death/black metal there have been a plethora of more mainstream and metal tunes that have gotten FM airplay or videos on MTV, VH1, etc. Here is a list of the more common ones:

"Highway to Hell" by AC/DC
"The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden
"Holy Diver" by Dio
"Heaven's On Fire" by KISS
"Burning For You" by Blue Oyster Cult
"Shout At The Devil" by Motley Crue
"Jump In The Fire" by Metallica
"Running With The Devil" by Van Halen
"Yankee Rose" by David Lee Roth (solo after Van Halen)
"Anarchy in the UK" by Sex Pistols
"Sinner" by Drowning Pool
"Wish" by Nine Inch Nails

If you haven't done so, give a listen to a few songs by the bands Slayer and Venom. In 1983 Black Sabbath released an album Born Again (after Ozzy and Dio) that featured Ian Gillan, the lead singer from Deep Purple.

If you would care to read a brief history of how Satanism has affected rock music I would recommend the CoS Reverend Gavin Baddeley's Lucifer Rising: Sin, Devil Worship and Rock n Roll. Here is an older thread about that book:

http://www.satannet.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=177453#Post177453

You probably would enjoy reading Marilyn Manson's The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell. There is a chapter in which Manson recounts his experience of meeting Anton LaVey.

Quote:
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin: This song is legendary among christian cryptos - if you play it backwards, you'll hear messages to the Devil Himself!

Yes, great song because of its poetic merit but not because of backward masking. For the most part backward masking was a hoax. Most of all that was purely coincidental and didn't really sound like anything anyway when played backwards. True, some musicians did it deliberately on occasion, but there was nothing inherently Satanic about it. Even Prince put a backward gospel-type ditty at the end of the his song "Darling Nikki".

All in all, I guess special effects sometimes sound cool.

-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#504895 - 09/04/17 02:42 AM Re: Satanic Music [Re: Dax9]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Scandinavia

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44450 Topics
407331 Posts