Topic Options
#504931 - 09/24/17 06:48 AM Satanic ritual and Greater Magic
LondonSatanist Offline

Loc: London, UK
Hello everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to look at my post and hopefully to clarify something for me.

I have been interested in Magic, the Occult and religion ever since my early teenage years but at the same time being a huge skeptic and questioner of everything ďsupernaturalĒ.

I was around 15 years old when I discovered The Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey and, like many others before me, felt like I was reading a book about how I was living already.

I have been a somewhat lukewarm Satanist ever since then but up until recently, I feel I want to finally declare myself wholeheartedly a Satanist, with my intention to register membership probably in the new year.

My question remains as it did all those years ago. Would I be considered a ďproperĒ Satanist if I didnít participate in Greater Magic ritual?

I know that it is stated that ritual is entirely optional but I have yet to come across anyone (online) that doesnt use ritual in their life?

I understand fully that its purpose is intended as a psychodrama and that ritual is as unique as a finger print to every other individual, but I canít really seem to find a purpose to use it.

Being able to talk my way out and around things and getting what I want in my general life is what I feel that I am good at already. I guess this is what we call Lesser Magic?

Forgive me if this topic has been discussed already.

Thank you.

#504936 - 09/24/17 10:46 PM Re: Satanic ritual and Greater Magic [Re: LondonSatanist]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Yes, this topic has been discussed many times.

Here are two articles that should help you out:

http://www.churchofsatan.com/ritual-magic-in-the-church-of-satan.php

http://www.churchofsatan.com/ritual-in-satanists-life.php
BENEATH THE SEVENTH TOWER OF SATAN - Deeper VR ritual.
THE FIRE FROM WITHIN - My book.

My first audio interview on GREATER MAGIC
My second audio interview by Rev Campbell

#504937 - 09/24/17 11:54 PM Re: Satanic ritual and Greater Magic [Re: LondonSatanist]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
Ritual as outlined in our literary tenets is not a massive part of my life. It's not even a moderate part of my life. Though I do not discount it.

I utilise my own form of magic to exercise my will upon the world.

And I don't give a flying fuck-weasel whether anyone else considers me a "proper" Satanist or not.

#504939 - 09/25/17 06:17 AM Re: Satanic ritual and Greater Magic [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Isobel Gowdie Offline

Originally Posted By: Drake_Bamboozle
Ritual as outlined in our literary tenets is not a massive part of my life. It's not even a moderate part of my life. Though I do not discount it.

I utilise my own form of magic to exercise my will upon the world.

And I don't give a flying fuck-weasel whether anyone else considers me a "proper" Satanist or not.

You know, your implication here is something I always found quite curious about Satanism; and amongst Neopagan religions, itís pretty close to unique.

Namely the use of ritual trappings as a justification for calling Satanism a religion, but no requirement for any individual Satanist to engage in said trappings. We shouldnít forget that Satanism tends to consider itself an atheist creed, but one that Peter Gilmore largely refined into the concept of ďI-TheismĒ. In either eventuality, the supplication of an individual to any form of theistic entity is against the basic nature of what Satanism promotes, and this is despite the fact that The Satanic Bible saw around two-thirds of its volume dedicated to the practice of black magic (this isnít mentioning its official companion, The Satanic Rituals!).

This is not to question your choice, or the priority in which greater magic should play in the life of an individual Satanist. In a structure that seems Machiavellian in its shove to let the end justify the means, itís arguably fitting that magic should play such a limited part for so many if itís not useful. Itís also worth remembering that you not giving a fuck-weasel about what people think has obviously not curtailed your advancement within the Church of Satan, so it canít be considered incompatible with the hierarchy and what they consider the movement to intrinsically be.

Iíve referenced Nemoís book, The Fire From Within, elsewhere on these forums and I recall one of the essays talking about the Satan of the ritual chamber simply being a ďsomethingĒ thatís not quite explicable. Almost certainly an aspect of the self, and probably the subconscious, thereís nevertheless the feeling of some tangible presence when the lights are low and your intent is sorcerous. Is this the Satan of Satanism? The subconscious force that causes one to act and react in a certain way, of which ritual is merely one aspect of?

The evidence seems to suggest so.

But again, weíre talking about something quite unique amongst Neopagan groups as Witchcraft traditions, almost exclusively, consider divinity as something external, something besides ourselves. The view of a Satanist, on the contrary, seems to keep circling back to what he might understand as ďI-TheismĒ.

As I said. Curious.

#504940 - 09/25/17 08:38 AM Re: Satanic ritual and Greater Magic [Re: Nemo]
LondonSatanist Offline

Loc: London, UK
Thank you smile

#504941 - 09/25/17 10:14 AM Re: Satanic ritual and Greater Magic [Re: Isobel Gowdie]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
The creation of art is, in itself, ritualistic; and the artist's tools his ritual items.

The creation is both psychological and physical. And the effect of the finished item demonstrably expedient in the world at large.

In my world, the pen is indeed, mightier than the sword. And I choose my pens with the same discrimination for aesthetics as others might choose their sword.

And yes, some have questioned my Satanic credentials based on my ambivalence towards psycho-dramatic ritual. They are fucking idiots.

#504943 - 09/25/17 08:19 PM Re: Satanic ritual and Greater Magic [Re: LondonSatanist]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

You are most welcome.

#504944 - 09/25/17 08:29 PM Re: Satanic ritual and Greater Magic [Re: Isobel Gowdie]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

If you really want to grasp what Satanism is about at its deep core then it is useful to simply ask yourself if the Devil were real (and he isn't) how would he behave in this or that situation.

Not the mindless, sadistic Devil of Judeo-islamic-Christianity.

Not the mindless, fool of a Devil of stand up comedians on television.

We look to the Devil of Milton who rose up against the group think of "God" and chose his own path based on his own judgment.

Satanism is a recognition that all those you meet are individuals - there are no "groups".

Satanism is a clarion call to choosing yourself as your own God - and all that entails.

Satanism is demonstrating a respect for reality as it is.

When someone takes that perspective and steps out of the morass of self-defeating beliefs that doom individuals to frustration and fear, that is Satanism.

Simple but profound.

Obvious when it is seen for what it is.

#504948 - 09/28/17 08:50 AM Re: Satanic ritual and Greater Magic [Re: Isobel Gowdie]
Mannyowar Offline

CoS Member

Loc: London, England
Originally Posted By: Isobel Gowdie
[Namely the use of ritual trappings as a justification for calling Satanism a religion, but no requirement for any individual Satanist to engage in said trappings.

I think Dr LaVey was smart enough to realize that the myth and ritual associated with religions satisfy some people emotionally in a way that a philosophy, no matter how sound, cannot. So he provided myth and ritual, not so much as 'justification for calling Satanism a religion', but just as extra tools for those who need them. Not every Satanist does, I personally came to Satanism with a militantly atheistic/materialist outlook, after having been involved with the anarchist movement for a few years so for me ritual has been something I have dabbled in just for fun, taking it out for a spin as High Priestess Nadramia suggests in her essay That doesn't make me any more or less of a Satanist than one who feels the need to regularly conduct formal rituals.

And of course, as Satanism is a religion of the individual, the ritual framework that Dr LaVey outlined in the Satanic Bible and Satanic Rituals (created in line with his personal tastes and interests, hence the inclusion of a ritual based on Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos) is there to be customized according to each member's personal tastes, not rigidly adhered to like occultists working from an old grimoire.

#504951 - 09/29/17 02:22 AM Re: Satanic ritual and Greater Magic [Re: Mannyowar]
Isobel Gowdie Offline

Originally Posted By: Drake_Bamboozle
The creation of art is, in itself, ritualistic; and the artist's tools his ritual items.

I donít question your Satanic credentials. As I hinted, I find the consideration of Satanism as a religion a fascinating descent through several explanations that, on the face of it, appear contradictory; but even looking beyond the thin veneer of the obvious, you realise that itís remarkably (and logically) consistent with the source material.

And I wholly agree with your first sentence. Art is a means of externalising an internal view or belief, in ways that are often cathartic as well as inspirational Ė I can scarcely imagine a better definition for ďritual magicĒ!

Originally Posted By: Nemo
Obvious when it is seen for what it is.

The truth, Nemo, is that Iíll never fully understand what Satanism is; Iím not a Satanist, I wasnít born with that genetic wiring, and that means that aspects of it will forever remain alien to me. ďBorn not madeĒ isnít a religious dictum of belief, itís literally the way things generationally work Ė Pinkerís The Blank Slate largely confirms what Anton LaVey stated over three decades prior to its publication.

We know itís true.

Yes, I can study Satanism and learn some of its intricacies. My coven now knows me as ďthe Satan girlĒ, purely because Iíve spent a good chunk of the last six months learning about it. But while Satanism ďdemands studyĒ, itís not something you learn Ė itís something you do. Armchair occult theorists need not apply, and this is something Satanism has in common with more traditional Neopagan thought prior to its explosion as a reprehensible Internet hobby.

All I can really say is that Satanic greater magic is unique, and amongst the most naturally powerful Iíve practiced. I think itís a shame that more Satanists arenít more heavily embedded in it, but appreciate that itís not a pre-requisite for being a Satanist.

Iím just trying to better understand the fundamental core of Satanism, but accept that it may forever be just out of my reach.

Iíve made peace with that, and find my intercessions here a pretty revealing, and fulfilling, second place.

Originally Posted By: Mannyowar
And of course, as Satanism is a religion of the individual, the ritual framework that Dr LaVey outlined in the Satanic Bible and Satanic Rituals (created in line with his personal tastes and interests, hence the inclusion of a ritual based on Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos) is there to be customized according to each member's personal tastes, not rigidly adhered to like occultists working from an old grimoire.

I enjoyed your post, but just wanted to say that the most successful and powerful witches (and Satanists, no doubt) are those who figure out whatís relevant in a grimoire, and apply it to their own experience and psychological preferences. The combination lock principle always applies. wink

#504952 - 09/29/17 05:39 AM Re: Satanic ritual and Greater Magic [Re: Isobel Gowdie]
Mannyowar Offline

CoS Member

Loc: London, England
Originally Posted By: Isobel Gowdie
[ Iíll never fully understand what Satanism is; Iím not a Satanist, I wasnít born with that genetic wiring, and that means that aspects of it will forever remain alien to me.

Don't be so hard on yourself! Just because you don't feel 100% aligned with something doesn't mean you don't understand it. In fact I'd say you have to understand something before you can make the decision whether it is for you or not.

I enjoyed your post, but just wanted to say that the most successful and powerful witches (and Satanists, no doubt) are those who figure out whatís relevant in a grimoire, and apply it to their own experience and psychological preferences. The combination lock principle always applies. wink

I guess you can say we Satanists take a broader view of what a 'grimoire' is. If you look at our recommended reading list you'll see that barely any of them even touch on what you would call 'The Occult'. I have enjoyed reading your thought provoking posts too smile

Edit: I haven't mastered quoting multiple paragraphs from the same post yet, as you can see laugh

Edited by Mannyowar (09/29/17 05:41 AM)

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44453 Topics
407334 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold