Topic Options
#505001 - 10/07/17 08:49 PM Illumination Candles in Ritual and Non-Ritual
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

I've been meaning to ask this for a while now, after searching through the literature and past threads on Lttd turned up nothing specific to my question.

In Ritual, when using candles for general illumination of The Chamber and not the burning of requests, is it 'kosher' to light those candles during non ritual? And vice versa?

I know it's ill advised to light request candles out of context (Secret Life of a Satanist), and even if it hadn't been documented, would still raise eyebrows. I'm wondering if anything has been experienced or deduced or what have you that it's unwise to light other candles that were used during ritual solely for illumination. If using them for ritual and non ritual is, shall we say, 'safe', that'd make my life a bit simpler when ritualization is required.

#505002 - 10/07/17 10:39 PM Re: Illumination Candles in Ritual and Non-Ritual [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
I know it's ill advised to light request candles out of context (Secret Life of a Satanist), and even if it hadn't been documented, would still raise eyebrows.

Right, you are referring to the incident when Brody (Jayne Mansfield's suitor) disrespected Anton LaVey's altar, playing with priceless items and lighting candles while making fun and laughing. (From "The Devil and Saint Jayne" in The Secret Life of a Satanist. )

As I understand it the fatal mistake that Brody made was that he lit a skull candle that was exclusively used for destruction rituals. Then again, LaVey later cast a curse on Brody anyway, so his mere act of lighting the candle was probably not what did him in.

Typically, I usually do not use candles for illumination that I utilize for rituals, but I do that so those candles will better psychologically "set the state of mind" when the time comes for me to actually perform a ritual. In other words I want my mind to only associate those candles with ritual and magic -- not mundane illumination. It's not that I'm refraining from lighting those candles in other contexts out of fear of dangerous repercussions.

I have a special scented candle I like to use when I meditate.

Quote:
In Ritual, when using candles for general illumination of The Chamber and not the burning of requests, is it 'kosher' to light those candles during non ritual? And vice versa?

In a word I would say...yes. Provided that those candles are only being lit for benign general illumination of the chamber and never to curse, I would feel safe in lighting them at other times without there being any malignant consequences.

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#505031 - 10/14/17 08:17 AM Re: Illumination Candles in Ritual and Non-Ritual [Re: Dax9]
IncurablyCurious Offline

I'm big on candles. I mostly only burn candles I make myself. I have all sorts of candles - those I make for general illumination, and those I make specifically for a ritual. I find that preparing for ritual by making a set of candles especially for it helps focus my thoughts as to what exactly I want to achieve from that ritual, and it makes each ritual unique. (Lust ritual, for example? I might blend some swirls of red wax into the black candle. and so on.).

There is something majestic about ritualising in a chamber that is lit by a hundred candles. Hundreds of good quality candles are expensive however, yet much less so if you make them yourself (which is what prompted me into starting to make my own: candles have horrible markup rates when you buy them, over 1000% for some!)

What I do is typically, after a ritual, let the candles burn out after it's finished. This gives the ritual some additional "closure", if you will - and the next ritual will start afresh with a new intention and a new set of candles.

Rarely, if a specific candle was used for a purpose that may require a subsequent ritual later, then I would keep it for that purpose.

Ultimately I do not think that a candle in itself has any intrinsic power, other than that which you channel through it -- whether you use it to set the atmosphere for reading, meditating, a meal, or a romantic session... or whether you use them to focus your magic in the chamber. A candle's a candle's a candle. It -- like magic itself -- works because of you, not the other way around, as has been said and written countless times smile

Interestingly enough, all this practice meant I've ended up making candles of such good quality that sometimes friends and acquaintances ask to buy a few off me -- which I am more than happy to oblige smile

#505033 - 10/14/17 01:42 PM Re: Illumination Candles in Ritual and Non-Ritual [Re: IncurablyCurious]
Citizen_Horror Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Arizona
I personally prefer the use of one candle, which I ONLY use for the purpose of ritual.

If I did use additional candles (for illumination, etc), I would also only use those for ritual.

The logic is that I wish to keep ANYTHING to do with ritual as separate from the mundane as possible.

That's just me.

In your case, it seems to me that as long as you're ONLY using the other candles for illumination, it's fine to use them outside of ritual.

However, as has been suggested, you may wish to take care to only use your working candle for its intended purpose.

Originally Posted By: IncurablyCurious
What I do is typically, after a ritual, let the candles burn out after it's finished. This gives the ritual some additional "closure", if you will

This is a great idea, by the way.

#505038 - 10/14/17 10:41 PM Re: Illumination Candles in Ritual and Non-Ritual [Re: IncurablyCurious]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
There is something majestic about ritualising in a chamber that is lit by a hundred candles.

You literally light up 100 candles? shocked Suit yourself, but I would never use more than two or three! I prefer the shadow effect in the chamber; for me anyway, it seems to open up my unconscious mind. Plus, I would be too concerned of a fire hazard.

In regards to reading the words to a ritual, I either have my "lines" memorized, or I read them from the lit screen of a tablet or a kindle. In this way I need not rely on illumination to facilitate reading.

Quote:
What I do is typically, after a ritual, let the candles burn out after it's finished. This gives the ritual some additional "closure"

I prefer the finality of blowing out the candles, exclaiming "So it is done!", and then exiting a pitch black room back out into "normal" day to day life. But that's just me. As they say, to each his own. smirk

Edited by Dax9 (10/14/17 10:46 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44443 Topics
407324 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM