Topic Options
#505060 - 10/26/17 07:23 AM Kind of funny how I got here...
Xxpaul Offline

Loc: Utah
I am new to this forum, and hoping to make a few friends, especially if you are in Utah. The story: 10 years ago I got in a flame war on LiveJournal with a Satanist. At the time, I was really into flame wars,and calling people "asshat" etc. I was telling the aforementioned Satanist that he or she was an idiot, and that a person who does not believe in an anthropomorphic Satan should call themselves a Me-ist or something. But through all my belligerent belittling, the Satanist remained calm and collected. He or she (they) knocked down my arguments with ease. But even more annoying to me, did not really seem to care much about convincing me. I got the impression that I was arguing with someone who was supremely self assured, and had nothing to prove. You can imagine that it got under my skin. I'm an atheist. I've read ayn rand. I know why Bertrand Russell is not a Christian. So I visited the cos website and started reading. I read The Satanic Bible. I read a lot of essays, and revisited nietzche. It took a long time, but as I was reading the "welcome" letter by Magistra Barton, the paragraph about leadership hit home. And then the hits kept coming! Truths broke through, and I finally understand. I am ready to call myself a Satanist. Hail Satan! I can't believe how liberated I feel. There is a little more pep in my step today as I consider the positive implications that await me, my wife, and my daughter as we explore and grow. I don't have too many questions yet. Maybe one. How am I going to break it to my mother?

#505061 - 10/26/17 10:24 AM Re: Kind of funny how I got here... [Re: Xxpaul]
LowKey Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
Welcome!

How nice that you were able to go beyond your initial knee-jerk reaction and wise enough to do some leg work concerning Satanism.

As far as telling your mother about your new-found (non)religion - you never have to. As you might've already discovered, Satanism and pragmatism go hand in hand, so if it behooves you to keep it to yourself, there's no reason you shouldn't.

#505063 - 10/26/17 09:40 PM Re: Kind of funny how I got here... [Re: LowKey]
Xxpaul Offline

Thanks! I've learned enough to know that. I'm looking forward to digging deeper with an open mind.

#505067 - 10/27/17 11:02 PM Re: Kind of funny how I got here... [Re: Xxpaul]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
I've read ayn rand. I know why Bertrand Russell is not a Christian. So I visited the cos website and started reading. I read The Satanic Bible. I read a lot of essays, and revisited nietzche.

Very appropriate reading selections. I've read most everything in Nietzsche's body of works and Ayn Rand's The Virtue of Selfishness. Bertrand Russell's refutations of the arguments for the existence of god in Why I Am Not a Christian still ring true and clear today.

All in all, I agree that you need not be in a rush to broadcast your new founded enthusiasm in Satanism. Let that be your "little secret". LaVey wrote, "Secrets are power. When you divulge a secret, you barter the potential power of your hidden knowledge for the fleeting ego boost that comes with its revelation." (from The Devil's Notebook )

Anyway, welcome to LttD! coopdevil

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#505069 - 10/31/17 01:11 AM Re: Kind of funny how I got here... [Re: Dax9]
Xxpaul Offline

Many thanks! That remark was meant to be a little bit tongue in cheek. I posted on here because I was excited! I wanted to say something to somebody! But I don't feel the need to "come out" or tell anyone. I can't see any benefit to that at all.

#505411 - 12/11/17 04:15 PM Re: Kind of funny how I got here... [Re: Xxpaul]
RussTheArtist Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I feel you there. My mother and step dad are holiness, so I have a well-kept secret.

#505453 - 12/13/17 07:32 PM How to Break the Dark News: [Re: Xxpaul]
Jupiter Offline

Loc: Lalish
I wish time travel was real. Just to go back and keep my interest in Satanism to myself. Instead of revealing and broadcasting it to the world.

Once you tell anybody that you are... You can't Ctrl+Z it!

Still, the best way to introduce someone to Satanism is through The Satanic Bible. Probably, you would want to test the waters by throwing some questions or discussing Satanic themes with them. However, these are not guarantees that the person is receptive.

Satanism is not how the majority of people think. It makes them uncomfortable and someone who has lived most of her life within the "god-given" religions may not be very receptive.

What do you gain from her learning about your Satanism? What will she gain? I think you should think thoroughly about it before you reveal who you are.

Good luck.

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44436 Topics
407317 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold