Topic Options
#505597 - 02/05/18 08:21 PM Anyone Like Having Problems to Overcome?
ConquerOrPerish Offline

Loc: DC Metro Area
I'm a natural born problem solver. Problem solving is linked to dopamine. Like Arthur Schopenhauer said in Studies in Pessimism, if every Jack had his Jill, people would either die of boredom, or start even more trouble. I think a lot of the drama that goes on in prison, the ghetto, the Middle East, etc. is just due to boredom.

I remember in college, the son of the CEO of American Standard was found banging on a wall with a hammer during finals week (while people were trying to study). When questioned, he said "I've been to Japan ten times...I've done everything there is to do. Even if I flunk out, I can just go work for my dad."

That's why it's a psychological fact that big events don't bring happiness, but little ones do, because then the rest of your life pales in comparison.

#505598 - 02/05/18 08:24 PM Re: Anyone Like Having Problems to Overcome? [Re: ConquerOrPerish]
ConquerOrPerish Offline

Loc: DC Metro Area

#505881 - 04/10/18 01:58 PM Re: Anyone Like Having Problems to Overcome? [Re: ConquerOrPerish]
DeTail Offline

There's 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

ha ha

Enough with the old math jokes.

There are 2 types of people. Those who are intrinsically motivated, and those who are not.
As an individual belonging to the former group, I have a hard time conceiving boredom. I can't even picture how that feels. I can understand that at some point you might feel like you've ran out of things you could do... but even arriving at that state would seem to me like either lazyness, something organically broken in you like chemicals missing in your brain, or a severe lack of imagination.

There aren't enough hours in a day for me to do everything I want to do. I sleep 4h a night just so I can can spend extra time doing stuff.

It is said that leisure is the basis of culture. When you've plowed the fields and fed the animals and built the sheds and you still have time and energy ... you make stuff beautiful! Start carving that some cool shapes on that thing you built, put some colors on it, pet the animals for the hell of it, make a connection with them because they are alive and so are you, to read about how to make your fields make even more grain, go wonder how nice if would be if there was a little pond somewhere with fish in it so you could sit there and watch... you know?

If I had a conversation with this boy. I picture it going something like this

me: "dude, you bashing in a wall with a hammer... why?"
kid: "i'm bored"
me: uh.. *pinches nose bridge* have you tried taking a nap? Naps are pretty great.
kid: "i've been to japan 10 times and..."
me: "have you been to the moon"
kid: "what?"
me: "oh, not so hot right now, are we?"
kid: "well you haven't been to the moon either"
me: "yeah? sure... but only because I haven't set my mind on it. I can do anything I set my mind to. so by saying you're bored, you must mean you have no goals in life or something"
kid: "it's just, everything is so easy. I can just flunk right out of this place and still live in a mansion, so what does it matter, what does anything matter?"
me: "aww poor rich boy lol"
kid: "hey! you don't know what it's like!"
me: " WAAAAAH"
kid: "I'm about to hit you with this hammer, old lady"
me: "ah chill out kiddo, here, lets go for a walk. I got this. We're going to do some shrooms and travel to outer space. then you'll lay down on that lawn and tell me all about it. then we are going to fashion a spaceship made entirely out of one single dreamtheatre sheet music. trust me kiddo, you'll never feel bored again"

So, let me get this right.. the problem here is that OP is a good problem solver, so he solves his problems too quickly and then becomes bored?

#505898 - 04/13/18 09:41 AM Re: Anyone Like Having Problems to Overcome? [Re: ConquerOrPerish]
Andraste Offline

Loc: USA
I would argue that it goes a bit deeper than boredom. Boredom leaves you alone with your own thoughts and for some that opens the doors for existential dread. In areas like the middle east, with strict religious law, the push for a world or environment codified by religious doctrine pulls from a desperate answer to nihilism. If left to their own thoughts, many people cannot handle the responsibility of being their own masters. In their horror at the lack of objective meaning in life, they make enemies of life and it reflects in their carelessness towards the planet, and their cruelty and brutality towards animals and each other. I think this also holds true in all circles of society where the members devour one another. I'm not sure if you have seen the film Annihilation, but one of the characters makes note that people are self-destructive (which I consider suicide lite*, it's a worship of and steady crawl on the edge of total annihilation, but without the commitment.)

As for the psychological fact that happiness comes from little things, I don't entirely agree with this analysis (and cannot find anything suggestive that this would be a verifiable fact). Happiness is subjective, and it doesn't have to come from any outward achievement or event, necessarily. I suppose part of this depends on how you define happiness, is it theough satisfaction in life via achievments, events, or people in your life? Or is it a peace with your nature, a gratitude for existence? I'm not entirely convinced that 'happiness' can even be quantified, except on a personal level. It's a vague word whose definition and essential qualities varies person to person.

#505899 - 04/13/18 11:48 AM Re: Anyone Like Having Problems to Overcome? [Re: ConquerOrPerish]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
If one is a mathematician talking about maths, or, let's say a writer resolving the plot of a novel, then I'd say overcoming such challenges would bring a sense of happiness.

But if you're life is constantly beset by setbacks and problems then you'd have to re-evaluate how you're living your life. No matter how resilient one might be, encountering constant obstacles in life eventually wears you down.

#505900 - 04/13/18 01:10 PM Re: Anyone Like Having Problems to Overcome? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
DeTail Offline

You can compare it to a vineyard, where stress and hardship yields the best wine grapes, because the vines need to constantly feel like they are about to die so that they pour all of their effort into the fruit. Warm and rich climate vines make these big luscious green plants, but their grapes are not nearly as good, as the plant feels like it has all the time in the world. On the other hand, too much hardship kills the vine.

Forum Stats
13326 Members
73 Forums
44551 Topics
408046 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold