Topic Options
#51686 - 08/06/04 11:45 AM HTTPS Server ?
SubOptimo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
I would feel more comftable in posting here if there would be the possibility to connect via an https Server. No I don't think some agencies are after me . It is just that the university network from wich i am accessing the internet is very open to TCP/IP Grabbers.
I saw that there seems to be a developement in this direction under:
Encrypted Version

#51687 - 08/19/04 06:26 PM Re: HTTPS Server ? [Re: SubOptimo]
Z3ro3X Offline
CoS Member

Is the computer you're using yours or does it belong to the school? If it's your personal computer and your accessing there network than security is possible. But if it's the school's computer on there network that you're using than no amount of encryption will keep them from seeing what you're doing. They could have all kinds of monitoring software on there school's workstations. Which would log any thing you type way before the text are sent to the browser to be encrypted. And also, how do you access your schools network. Is it some LAN socket in the wall or is it a wireless network?

#51688 - 08/22/04 10:07 AM Re: HTTPS Server ? [Re: Z3ro3X]
SubOptimo Offline
CoS Member

It is a University Network, I have a socket connetction. The problem is not so much the computer, because it is installed in my office and I have solely access to my workstation. Unfortunately there are approx. 100 Workstations connected over a HUB, so a packet sniffer will enable You to monitor the traffic of the whole complex.
It works, I tried it already, of course only for security concerns.

#51689 - 08/22/04 02:17 PM Re: HTTPS Server ? [Re: SubOptimo]
Z3ro3X Offline
CoS Member

All I can say is don't do any thing on some one else's computer you might regret. If you have the money I would suggest getting a laptop and set up some good encryption on it. And get a wireles network card designed for laptops, you can slide it in the side of it. I forgot what you call those things.

You wouldn't belive the crap system Administrators can do when you use a computer on there network. If the computer belongs to them than you might as well pretend they're standing right behind you watching you're every move. When I was in high school I got in trouble for sending instant messages to some hot chick on the other side of the room. People in the office detected it and bitched at me. I also got in trouble for going to the Victoria's Secret web site during class. Apparently the people in the office have nothing better to do than spy on you all the time.

Just remember this cardinal rule. Don't ever assume that Administrators have your privacy rights in mind. If you're on there network your ass is there.

The good thing about getting your own laptop and another good thing that they have a wireless netowork (which most universities have now) is that you have the power of choice what to put on your computer. You can install a firewall and with a firewall you can set it to block all ICMP and echo request. That basicaly makes your computer invisible to the network. That wont make you like Harry Potter with the invisibility cloak, but if they try PINGing the network your computer wont respond. The wireless network is also great because it's a hell of a lot harder to trace computers on there network.

Remember, with out any encryption, any packet sniffer on the network can read your IM's or email as well.

#51690 - 08/27/04 02:27 PM Re: HTTPS Server ? [Re: Z3ro3X]
SubOptimo Offline
CoS Member

I thank You for Your extensive answer and sharing Your experiences.

I set up some networks myself, and I do believe that system admin's can do a lot of bullshit. But I think also that there is a difference between being logged in in a greater network and being no subject of special interest. The other case if You are the subject of attention to some people who have admin rights, then you are really f'ckd up. I assume this was the case in Your school. I hope You left this honorable ( ) institution.
For me the first case is more of interest: Not to get in the focus of such attention.

I think the laptop solution has also a disatvantage, because our WLAN connections are protocolled via the MAC Adress of the adapter card. And I think the WLAN encryption is only a matter of interest until the data are deciphered by the WLAN access point. After this point even this packets will transferered in clear Text. At my place this means over at least two switches, a proxy and the router. Enough points to listen. But You are right, that a own laptop will offer more protection.
Thanks for Your advice about the ICMP packets and the firewall, I haven't that in mind.

Infernal greetings, Suboptimo

PS: The THING is called a PCMCIA card.

Forum Stats
12202 Members
73 Forums
43989 Topics
406083 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements