Topic Options
#52180 - 08/09/04 12:33 AM Acheiving self actualization through satanism
logan Offline

Loc: New York City
For anybody familiar with Maslow's hierarchy of needs it would be quite hard not to notice some very apparent similarities between Doctor Lavey's teachings and maslow's theory of self actualization. I would like to single out what appeared most obvious to me as similar between these two theories.

As a magician i would not be as effective without knowing who i really am, what makes me happy and what my goals are. this knowledge allows me to gain a tremendous advantage in my ongoing quest to improve my magical abilities. to quote one of Doctor Lavey's most notable statements "one of the magicians greatest weapons is knowing himself, his talents, abilities and physical attractions. Compare with Maslow"self actualization is a neverending process that moves in a dynamic sequence upward through a continuum the higher the individual processes the more profound happiness, serenity and richness of the inner life he or she finds.

To me knowing myself is extremely important especially when performing a ritual as the ritual is usually most successful when performed in a place and atmosphere that i have personally created for it in order that it would be suited to my individual personality.

I always try to incorporate within my rituals decorum and scents that are appealing to me as it is beneficial and puts me in a serene and content mood.I am always happiest when I have put my personal signature on my ritual for whatever purpose it is being performed and that is always the final ingredient for its success. I dont strive for greatness by counting on others greatness to rub off on me.

#52181 - 08/09/04 02:41 AM Re: Acheiving self actualization through satanism [Re: logan]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

As a magician i would not be as effective without knowing who i really am...

Meanwhile, we're still waiting to find out who you are. Please post an introduction to the proper forum before posting further.
Prevention of Virtue

#52182 - 08/09/04 06:57 AM Re: Acheiving self actualization through satanism [Re: logan]
DarknessAbounds Offline

Loc: Delaware, United States.
You needed a theory to know it is important to be yourself in all your glory? Sheesh man, where have you been?

Also, just who are you trying to impress with your "Magical" knowledge?

#52183 - 08/09/04 11:53 AM Re: Acheiving self actualization through satanism [Re: logan]
Xerx Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Italy
Quote:

"one of the magicians greatest weapons is knowing himself, his talents, abilities and physical attractions.

In my humble opinion that was referred to the knowledge of somebody abilities in a particular field: Magic in that case. I do not know Maslow's hierarchy of needs but I know that many philosophy stress, in my opinion excessively, the importance of self knowledge. We have two eyes to look outside; it is difficult to use them for seeing ourselves and as we change and evolve continuously it is quite impossible to know correctly our state and potential, with the consequence of wasting our time following ourselves instead of our goals in life. The knowledge of our talents is of course an important thing but many philosophies are centered on a difficult and variable job which needs only a reasonable time and importance.
Dr LaVey did not make that mistake. We must know of ourselves what is useful to perform our aims, not mainly for a knowledge pleasure. We are our God and we act to fulfill our ego, knowing of it what we like and what is useful to us.

Hail Satan!
Xerx

#52184 - 08/09/04 03:24 PM What Maslow was talking about... [Re: logan]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Quote:

Maslow's hierarchy of needs was an alternative to the depressing determinism of Freud and Skinner. He felt that people are basically trustworthy, self-protecting, and self-governing. Humans tend toward growth and love. Although there is a continuous cycle of human wars, murder, deceit, etc., he believed that violence is not what human nature is meant to be like. Violence and other evils occur when human needs are thwarted. In other words, people who are deprived of lower needs such as safety may defend themselves by violent means. He did not believe that humans are violent because they enjoy violence. Or that they lie, cheat, and steal because they enjoy doing it.

- Source

Somehow I don't think Dr. LaVey would have agreed with this.

#52185 - 08/10/04 04:27 AM Re: Acheiving self actualization through satanism [Re: logan]
Xerx Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Italy
After Magister Nemo showed us a synthesis of Maslow hierarchy of needs, I can say that I do not see any usefulness in that hierarchy. Many people, included myself, realized an high grade of self-actualization without having satisfied the Maslow’s lower needs. The only need that should be satisfied as a basis is the need of food, but that is obvious and does not need a system.
And why love was not included into the psychological needs?
Besides I do not see any link with that system and Satanism, it seems to me just a game of stacking something.

Xerx

#52186 - 08/10/04 12:57 PM Re: Acheiving self actualization through satanism [Re: Xerx]
DancingintheDark Offline

Quote:

We have two eyes to look outside; it is difficult to use them for seeing ourselves and as we change and evolve continuously it is quite impossible to know correctly our state and potential, with the consequence of wasting our time following ourselves instead of our goals in life. The knowledge of our talents is of course an important thing but many philosophies are centered on a difficult and variable job which needs only a reasonable time and importance.

To help me in this regard I use the third or all seeing eye, mind. It opens unbidden, every night, as I sleep and dream, allowing me to access reflections concealed from my physical eyes. It is true it has taken me some years to really come to terms with the nature of my dreams and indeed mind, but I have found it a most enjoyable and prosperous journey. My nightly exploits only serve to enrich and enhance "waking" life, and would still occur regardless of whether or not I chose to tap into their potential, so I utilize them to my benefit.

#52187 - 08/18/04 05:23 PM Re: Acheiving self actualization through satanism [Re: logan]
Shylock Offline

Loc: Tiki Land
I'm not sure how well that comes together, as an awful lot of folks over the years have talked up a storm about 'knowing oneself' being an all-important goal in life. And as Nemo points out, Maslow had a lot of funny things to say about human beings not being driven by violent or aggressive urges but rather acting in a particular matter as a result of 'unfulfilled needs.'

A possibly more significant link to consider between Maslow's views and those of Anton LaVey might be the refutation of ascetic religious practices implied by Maslow's viewpoint. While I can't endorse that mumbo-jumbo about people being inherently peace-loving and trustworthy, Maslow does have a point when he mentions that lower needs must be fulfilled on a basic level before higher ones can be considered (i.e., one does not worry about where to find a party over the weekend when one is starving). Going by Maslow's hierarchy, true fulfillment can only follow, not precede, a basic satisfaction of carnal needs. The ideology of religious asceticism says that people attain spiritual states by denying the flesh through fasting, sexual abstinance, etc. One of LaVey's points, aimed both at religious ascetics and new-age granola nuts, was that the Satanist experiences fulfillment through the satisfaction of carnal needs. I had been hoping this point would be brought up, as I thought it an interesting connection, but once again...

By the way, "I" before "E" except after "C"...

--The Royal Me

#52188 - 08/18/04 06:45 PM Re: Acheiving self actualization through satanism [Re: LKRice]
evengar Offline

Sorry for offtopic, but you've demonstrated an amazing sense of humor, IMHO

#52194 - 08/27/04 01:47 PM Re: Acheiving self actualization through satanism [Re: LKRice]
logan Offline

I have posted an introduction in the introductions forum.
Hail Satan

#52195 - 10/03/04 10:27 PM Re: Acheiving self actualization through satanism [Re: Shylock]
logan Offline

Trust me, it comes together well I did a great amount of research before I made this post.

#52196 - 10/03/04 10:40 PM Re: Acheiving self actualization through satanism [Re: Xerx]
logan Offline

If you read Maslow thoroughly enough, specifically regarding fulfillment of certain needs, you would be quite surprised as to how similar it is to some of the main physical needs most needing fulfillment ,that are addressed in The Satanic Bible.
Quote:

Dont always try to have the last word you just might receive it

HAIL SATAN

#52197 - 10/03/04 10:49 PM Re: Acheiving self actualization through satanism [Re: Xerx]
logan Offline

It would most definitely be worth your while to take a closer look at Maslows hierarchy of needs, They definitely walk along the same path as the needs that should be satisfied that are spoken of in The Satanic Bible.

HAIL SATAN

#52199 - 10/04/04 03:46 PM Re: Acheiving self actualization through satanism [Re: evengar]
logan Offline

I think I have a great sense of humor Therefore I am funny
REGE SATANIS

#52203 - 10/11/04 02:24 PM Re:The Lotus Position [Re: logan]
Totenkopf Offline

Loc: Northern California.
How long must I sit in full Lotus position before I self actualize?

Forum Stats
12171 Members
73 Forums
43938 Topics
405808 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements