Topic Options
#52964 - 08/13/04 04:43 PM Yet another interesting article on Alternet
Chaoslillith Offline

Loc: Hawaii
Monogamous voles, drug addiction vaccines and lack of free speech

Well if this doesn't round out current societal issues I am not sure what will. What would Lavey think about the uses for Gene Therapy induced monogamy, vaccines to prevent drug addictions (side affect, block the ability to feel pleasure) and corporation suing over the parody of This Land?

So are these new technologies part of the stratification process, the I do not want to accept responsibility for my actions ideal or just plain uselss and these scientists should be developing something more useful? Perhaps a drug to stop the encroaching tide of useless drugs?

Read and enjoy.

#52965 - 08/13/04 05:38 PM Re: Yet another interesting article on Alternet [Re: Chaoslillith]
Knocko Offline

Loc: Michigan - Troll Country
The entertainment this world provides on a day-to-day basis is enough to keep me living here. ...Not like I have anyplace to live...at the moment...

That article made me laugh; maybe it should be moved to Humor...of course, it could just be all the koolaid I've consumed today...
"When the long winter nights come on and the wolves follow their meat into the lower valleys, he may be seen running at the head of the pack through the pale moonlight or glimmering borealis, leaping gigantic above his fellows, his great throat a-bellow as he sings a song of the younger world, which is the song of the pack. "Old longings nomadic leap, Chafing at custom's chain: Again from its brumal sleep Wakens the ferine strain."" -Jack London, The Call of the Wild

#52966 - 08/16/04 09:37 AM Re: Yet another interesting article on Alternet [Re: Chaoslillith]
Satanya Offline
Banned

Quote:

Well if this doesn't round out current societal issues I am not sure what will. What would Lavey think about the uses for Gene Therapy induced monogamy, vaccines to prevent drug addictions (side affect, block the ability to feel pleasure) and corporation suing over the parody of This Land?

If you woud like to know what the ultimate Magus of the earth thought about what you deem complicated, read his books. Herr Doktor wrote extensively on the subject of nationalism, artificial and organic inclinations, etc, and he was an active writer as well, always giving you tips on places to look futher on any given matter. As far as I can see, your absurd hypothetical scenario, "What would Lavey think about the uses for Gene Therapy induced monogamy, vaccines to prevent drug addictions (side affect, block the ability to feel pleasure) and corporation suing over the parody of This Land? " could very well also mean you would be busted big time for a fat juicy "L" , suppose anyone around here had psychic powers. So that is what you would wanna ask The Devil? This is my last say on the matter, you wouldn't get any creature to talk to you about their interests if it isn't reciprocal, without research or education, but the latter would make for another thread, why, but of course. Football, Politics, nothing. I'm talking Magic here, listen for your own good.

Personally, I'd say you'd have to ask him yourself, but I doubt he'd agree that it would be very cool to lay responsibility for lack of will to live & all of the other scape-goats you keep creating for yourself, as a sheep, as anything that could be of any use, for anything.

What seems to be the matter with you people, I can't figure out. Does it hurt to read ? You wish to discuss subjects you are more than apparently not-familiar with, for what reason, pray tell, what would be your motives.

"What would Lavey think about the uses for Gene Therapy induced monogamy, vaccines to prevent drug addictions (side affect, block the ability to feel pleasure) and corporation suing over the parody of This Land? "

Should I quote you none - stop ?

And no, I didn't read your article. You convinced me by your questions in regards to it, not to.

Quote:

Yet another interesting article on Alternet.

OK, yet another, I am supposed to know about the website you frequent and very likely cut & paste opinions of others everywhere else you surf claiming as your own buzz wrong idea? Grant grand, grand, just because.

#52967 - 08/16/04 03:11 PM Re: Yet another interesting article on Alternet [Re: Satanya]
Chaoslillith Offline

Hmm, make assumptions then. I own and have repeatedly read Satan Speaks, The Devil's Notebook and TSB. I put that question as a rhetorical one and perhaps to get a few humorous replies. I am not the only one here who has listed a website or article on the forum that many others may not have known about. Instead of attacking me why not provide your thoughts on the article I posted. Or is that too much reading for you to do? The article is not an opinion based article as much as stating some interesting developments in the world. Forgive me for curiousity and for finding a few odd things I thought some others may find interesting, (sarcasm if you cannot figure that out).

By the way, what "you people" am I? I am dying to know.

#52968 - 08/17/04 10:01 AM Re: Yet another interesting article on Alternet [Re: Chaoslillith]
NaamahPink Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Kentucky
First, I noticed that both the author of this article and yourself do a lot of speculating as to why such work is done. Trust me when I say very few scientists are funded to do meaningless work. Did it occur to you that simply knowing exactly what vasopressin does could be beneficial to medicine?

Most human hormones serve more than one function, these types of tests confirm that vasopressin does in fact induce monogamy (which was probably previously speculation, or proven in an earlier similar experiment), and may have also helped scientists learn what other functions vasopressin affects.

Secondly, it tests whether gene therapy can introduce a hormone into a species in which it doesn't occur. This type of knowledge is very important. Imagine if we pin-pointed one or two chemicals that are responsible for sharks hyper immune system that keeps the species immune from cancer, I would certainly be interested in that type of gene therapy provided there wasn't side affects.

Third, it is VERY unlikely that anyone would pay for their children to undergo gene therapy that eliminates pleasure sensors or artificially induces monogamous behavior. Even if parents wanted their children to undergo these types of therapy, they probably couldn't afford it. And finally, it would be very unlikely that either type of gene therapy would ever be approved in the US. Last time I checked, all gene therapy was halted in the US because of one fatality. Unfortunately, that put a lot of people who desperately need gene therapy in order to survive in quite a pinch. If those who need it can't get it, I doubt will we see such silliness get approval from the FDA. Also, one the subject of gene therapy, all present efforts in gene therapy only target somatic cells... this means that any change is not heritable to their offspring.

Finally, despite the media hype in this article trying to pose a ridiculous scenario of mind control, the truth is that I would have no problem with people voluntarily undergoing such a procedure at their own expense. Would you care if a known drug-addict voluntarily got his pleasure receptors turned off? I don't care. In fact, I think it would be good to have one less wacko running around using needles and spreading disease. Would you care is a sex addict took vasopressin pills at his own expense so his wife wouldn't divorce him take the kids and his money? I wouldn't care. If a grown man want to be monogamous and doesn’t have the self control, more power to him in his efforts to drug induce it.

Yes, some herdlings would gladly undergo such treatments, because they lack self-control. Remember, what is good for the herd is not always good for Satanists and visa versa.

#52969 - 08/17/04 11:57 AM Re: Yet another interesting article on Alternet [Re: NaamahPink]
Chaoslillith Offline

I would hope most parents wouldn't want to turn a kid's pleasure receptors off. Of course seeing how people are putting their children (not to mention their pets) on mood altering drugs such at earlier and earlier ages instead of learning how to help them with behavior who can tell.

I see your point about gene therapy, I just thought it was hilarious about the drug induced monogamy. It is fun to speculate how far people will go to try to maintain what they feel they need to do to have some worth.

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43981 Topics
406046 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements