Topic Options
#57362 - 09/18/04 12:32 PM Re: Wooo, The Marines! [Re: Foxy_Ramirez]
Jackdaw Offline

Loc: Clayton, California

#57363 - 09/18/04 12:42 PM Sir, yes, Sir! [Re: Foxy_Ramirez]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
See the film "Starship Troopers" and take it to heart.

You have been given some excellent advice here.

Survive.

#57364 - 09/18/04 02:27 PM Re: Wooo, The Marines! [Re: Foxy_Ramirez]
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Palm Springs, California, USA
Just do exactly what the Drill Instructors say, and you'll be all right.

Also, when they say, "Get off my bus!", GET THE HELL OFF AS FAST AS YOU CAN!
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Just updated

#57365 - 09/18/04 11:25 PM Re: Wooo, The Marines! [Re: Foxy_Ramirez]
Asmedious Offline

In hind sight, going into the military was one of the most UN Satanic things I've ever done. Turning myself over to be slave boy was not my idea of being Satanic. I remember an old man who claimed to have been a world war II veteran trying to talk me out of it. At that point I didn't consider what he said all that important, but all through basic training his warning kept ringing in my ears. He was right. I would recommend that you find a copy of "The Peddler Of Death, the life and times of Basil Zaharoff" by Donald McCormic. It sheds a lot of light as to where soldiers fit into the grand scheme of things.

#57366 - 09/19/04 11:55 AM Re: Feet [Re: Bogey_Man]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
They still use the standard black jungle boots but they issue out a new pair of combat boots with the new digitals. It also depends on where you are stationed. In 29 palms and I believe the majority of bases there is a base order that only black boots (any type) can be worn but no desert boots unless in the field. Then it is broken down by battalion, company, and platoon. Luckily for me my battalion allowed desert boots when on the tanks.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#57367 - 09/19/04 12:27 PM There is no "off the record" [Re: Foxy_Ramirez]
Rattlesnake Offline

Loc: Yurop
You will find sometimes, when you are out of barracks and in a typical Marine drinking bar with your Marine buddies that some of them will make comments as: "Gee, Sgt. X is such an asshole, what do you think Foxy?"

DONT BITE. Most time those guys are lackeys of the Drill Instuctors and they try to score some points by telling the Sergeant or Drill Instructor. And they in turn, will make sure your training becomes Hell.

Either don't reply or change the subject. And when you meet a superior officer outside military installations make sure you salute properly and treat them respectfully. They may be evil but they're in charge and you surely dont want to get your ass kicked.

#57368 - 09/19/04 08:52 PM Re: There is no "off the record" [Re: Rattlesnake]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

In Marine Corps bootcamp there is no liberty (free time). So there will be no drinking in a bar while in basic. I believe it is different for the Army.

Also marines don't salute without a cover (a hat) which means no saluting in civilian attire.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#57369 - 09/19/04 09:39 PM Re: There is no "off the record" [Re: Discipline]
ArkhamMiskatonic Offline

Liberty... at Parris Island... HAH!
Man, that is a laugh. I grew up part of my life on that base. Man, what a shithole.
They do Basic in San Diego too, no liberty there either.
Grew up around military bases my whole life then decided to ship myself off to Great Lakes. (No liberty there either.)
I'm pretty sure only the Air Force has liberty built into thier training, which, as I have heard, is only eight weeks anyway. Eight weeks of riding stationary bikes and sitting in AC'ed barracks (just the rumors I have heard.)

FOXY
My advice, head down, follow directions, get used to grasping the DETAILS of every menial job you are handed. No smiling, unless you have just acomplished something as a team, no skylarking, no mouthing off, no freelance thinking of any kind. Like making beds? You're going to. Like getting yelled at, at the end of training (or about halfway through) you will develop a strange thirst for it.
Like running, press ups, pull ups, sit ups, monkey fucks, and general torturing muscle groups into all out submission?
Oh, btw, the corp (and the department) discovered a long time ago that the fastest way to build muscle was to work the target group until MUSCLE FAILURE repeatedly.

Lastly, I don't recommend shooting your hand up for every little job that comes along.
I was ARPAC in my Navy division, it didn't get me shit except a lot of grief and hard work (at least I wasn't Master At Arms.)
Get your rank boost upon graduation written into your contract before you sign, they go off of school records, college courses, community activity, but you can pretty much talk them into giving you the highest rank at graduation.
Believe me, they want you that bad.

Ice cream parties ? Just say no.

Good luck!

(ArkhamMiskatonic snickers to himself, cracks another beer and realizes that somewhere a recruit is getting dressed down while on his first night watch, thinking about the three hours of sleep he is going to get tonight, wondering how he is going to fit in time to iron his uniform, and pondering how much of an idiot he was to have signed up for this.)

Just remember, training is not the real thing. It all changes when you get done. Well, some of it changes.

What's your third general order son!?!

HS
WH Bean

#57370 - 09/19/04 11:12 PM Re: There is no "off the record" [Re: ArkhamMiskatonic]
SatanicSquid Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Bay, Ca
The only General Order I remember is, "To walk my ship from plank to plank and take no shit from any rank."

Be careful where you repeat this.

Edited by SatanicSquid (09/19/04 11:13 PM)
When you are going to do a miracle for an ignorant race, you want to get in every detail that will count; you want to make all the properties impressive to the public eye; you want to make matters comfortable for your head guest; then you can turn yourself loose and play your effects for all they are worth. You can't throw to much style into a miracle. It costs trouble, and work, and sometimes money; but it pays in the end.

A Connecticut Yankee in King Aurthur's Court
Mark Twain

#57371 - 09/20/04 01:09 AM Re: There is no "off the record" [Re: Discipline]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
Quote:

I believe it is different for the Army.

No.

If you take a moment, and look inside your soft-cap you will notice your name, rank, and serial number inside that cap, followed by the words: Property of the United States Government. And for those that are the last boarding the train at the Clue Station, the label isn't referring to your lid.

No "free time" for you unless you go to church on Sunday. Those that stay behind, get a broom, e-tool, or a floor buffer put in their hands.

Edited by Felstorm (09/20/04 01:10 AM)

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#57372 - 09/20/04 01:34 AM Re: There is no "off the record" [Re: ArkhamMiskatonic]
Silence Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 29 Palms, CA
Quote:

I'm pretty sure only the Air Force has liberty built into thier training, which, as I have heard, is only eight weeks anyway. Eight weeks of riding stationary bikes and sitting in AC'ed barracks (just the rumors I have heard.)

Six weeks. Yes, they do get about an hour or two of base liberty per week, I think. They do a lot more PT than just stationary bikes, and the barracks do have AC(Air conditioning is kinda important in San Antonio.).

My brother is in the Air Force, so I got to see the living conditions at Lackland during the pre-graduation family tour.

On a side note, I plan to enter the Marine Corps DEP in exactly three weeks.

#57373 - 09/20/04 11:03 PM Re: There is no "off the record" [Re: Felstorm]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Ha. I see you took offense by that, Felstorm.

I was not sure about the Army's policy, hence I said "believe".

When I was at Fort Knox I saw lots of young soldiers roaming around town. I assumed they were in basic, of course I could not have been a 100% correct. I was not in the Army so my knowledge on it is limited.

Breathe buddy.

#57374 - 09/21/04 01:11 AM Re: Sir, yes, Sir! [Re: Nemo]
Mekhet Offline

Loc: The Levant
Quote:

See the film "Starship Troopers" and take it to heart.

I'd suggest reading the book instead, if time is sufficient.

#57375 - 09/21/04 04:07 PM Re: There is no "off the record" [Re: ArkhamMiskatonic]
London Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Inmost Dens
Quote:

Eight weeks of riding stationary bikes and sitting in AC'ed barracks (just the rumors I have heard.)

Check your sources.

I have nothing against "Friendly competition" among services, as I recognize it for what it is. Like religion, it controls the masses and makes them feel superior. When you boil it down it is usually just a form of jealousy and insecurity, something the average service member has no shortage of.
The rumor you've heard is just that, created by a peon trying to feel better about himself. Peon after peon repeat the same lie and eventually by the time intelligent and rational people here it, the lie has gained credibility and is accepted as a given.

Back to the subject, however. When going through Basic I compiled a list of several small things you can do to make life easier. I just happen to still have that list. I will list the tips I feel will be relevant to Marine Basic Training...

-Eat soft food (chicken as opposed to steak, banana as opposed to pear). You only have a few minutes to eat, and chewing really does waste time when you're starving. Look for the foods you can cram in and swallow!

-Take Deodorant, shampoo, liquid soap (solid soap BANNED!), insoles (trust me), tooth paste, tons of quarters, and a manicure kit. You’ll be required to buy this stuff anyway (with the exception of insoles), so save some money.

-Keep ALL receipts, especially those from dry cleaners. If they lose your BDUs (and they do quite frequently), this is your only proof that you have left your property in their care. New BDUs won't break your bank, but this is something you do not want to deal with in an environment like Basic.

-Throw away all extra shirts, socks, undies, etc. You will have a minimum amount of certain clothes you must have in your (foot) locker. Throw away all excess as this just leads to demerits during clothing inspections.

-Don’t change BDUs if not necessary. Our TIs told us BDUs can be worn for 3 days in a row max. We usually wore ours for a week to save time, money, and stress.

-Don't go to church no matter what anybody says! Church time is time you can spend perfecting you locker, clipping strings, fixing end of bed displays, etc.

-Come in with your head shaved and save $5 on a mandatory haircut.

-Wear plain clothes with no pictures, logos, or really anything on them. I had a guy wear a Kramer (Seinfeld) shirt his first day. Guess what nickname stuck with him...

-Religious texts are the only texts you are allowed to have. Use you head and leave TSB at home. The only book you can bring in which will get you more shit than TSB would be the Koran.
Every blue moon I'd find myself with maybe 20 minutes to myself on the weekend. Revelations was entertaining to pass the time. An acid trip without the irreversible effects. Bizarre use of archetypes. It's certainly the most interesting book of the Holy Fable. It really takes you to another place, which you will find desirable.

Stay strong. Always remember that wimpier people than you have made it.

#57376 - 09/21/04 04:55 PM a similar question [Re: Discipline]
Helliott Offline

Loc: VA
I am giving strong consideration to joining the Navy, any advice? If I do it I will take the delayed entry way, for up to a year to get myself ready.
"I come from hell, presently, to take you there!" -Edward "Blackbeard" Teach "You can't spell Slaughter without Laughter!" "What must one do to become blessed? That I do not know, but I say to you: 'Be Blessed, and then do whatever you please." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406368 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements