Topic Options
#57631 - 09/19/04 05:55 AM Your Basic Verbage and Aesthetics 101
Captn_Thatch Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 11549'00"W 3714'00"N
Your Basic Verbage and Aesthetics 101

I am studying Satanism.

I am anxious to begin exploring Satanism.

I will continue learning more about Satanism.

I am gradually discovering Satanism.

I have been researching Satanism.

I am curious about Satanism.

I want to continue reading about Satanism.

I am considering Satanism as a religion.

I'm not trying to present anything "new", I'm just a bit flustered with something I keep seeing and my way of surrmounting my frustration is to write what I myself would do about it. I don't want to discuss technicalities such as present tense participles, but clearly these phrases are suited for a dunce and should be eradicated. This is about being naturally inclined towards something that has been codified, but not dictated and instructed. All of these phrases seem to put the one who should be thinking Satanically in a submissive relationship with the religion of Satanism. I personally think it is weak for a Satanist to speak this way. When a religion's godhead is the Ego-centric Self, this approach gives off the smell of a pion, particularly when it is repeated outside of ones introduction. In my time I have tried to avoid using a verb in such a manner unless it was a rare day, nor can I recall any of the more recognized CoS members doing so. (Which would ideally be indicative of why they are more recognized). Let me give a shot at articulating some effective statements, that might originate from a genuinely Satanic voice:

As a Satanist, I have found that I enjoy studying architecture .

I have taken some time to explore books that have Satanic plots .

I learn something each time that I am in the company of other Satanists.

I have discovered many Satanic facts about the history of money .

I think a good topic of research for a Satanist is military strategy.

People are curious why I am a Satanist .

I am reading a very Satanic book .

I consider social aesthetics to be paramount to Satanism .

I get a slight cringe every time someone makes Satanism sound like a big mystery that must be probed with much steady concentration. I'm not talking about the things people do as Satanists. This just goes back to the fact that there are two different kinds of "first-awakenings" upon reading the Satanic Bible:

1) The reader becomes fascinated with the book because it seems like a description of his own ideas and feelings that he has had all along, and simply wants to continue living in such a way with an increased appreciation for himself and life.

2) The reader, who is desperately lacking a sound identity, finds that Satanism is enough of a threat to his incompetence and feebleness that he feels obligated to pursue it with the hope of acquiring a first taste of power.

I am a judgemental person with a lot of quickly rationalized opinions about other people, but I don't think I'm the only one who's concluded that the phrases in the first list are used by people most often harboring the motive in #2. In the worst case scenario, a #2 category person hangs around discussing the intracacies of dogma and seeking the opinions of others on every pre-adolescent topic they can in order get a sense of belonging. The best case scenario is that they either disappear or they quietly recognize their unfortunate weakness and strengthen themselves without bothering anyone before causing any more problems. In such a case, strengthening one's self just might include considering how phraseology is involved in Lesser Magic.

-end-

#57632 - 09/19/04 01:50 PM Re: Your Basic Verbage and Aesthetics 101 [Re: Captn_Thatch]
Wiley Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Augusta, GA
I agree whole-heartedly. Aside from not being Satanic, the use of gerund-phrases such as the ones you provided portrays weak writing skills in general.

In any kind of writing, unless it's a creative story where one wants to portray a certain type of passive character, the writer should avoid those gerund phrases. They make the writer seem uncertain of him or herself, eager to please others, and likewise afraid to anger others. This writing shows a definite weakness.

Weakness is not something one should show in a group of fellows who know that survival of the fittest is best way.

Great observation.

~Anybody can die, why be a follower? The trick is learning how to truly live.

My space on Myspace[/color]

#57633 - 09/19/04 09:44 PM Re: Your Basic Verbage and Aesthetics 101 [Re: Captn_Thatch]
Purge Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
While I will agree that some of the phrases in your lists are unfortunate, I don't agree that a person knows all there is about Satanism just by reading the Satanic Bible. (If they do not, why are the terms "studying" and "researching" so offensive? What exactly do you mean? I will proceed on the assumption that you think the SB contains all one might wish to know about Satanism.)

The SB is a great place to start, and indeed contains all the information one needs to determine whether or not one identifies with LaVey's message. However, if LaVey had said everything there was to know or think about Satanism in the SB, then I highly doubt that he would have written the other books.

I am saying that it is not unreasonable to state "I am studying Satanism," because there is a good deal of excellent literature on the subject... and this literature may take some time to obtain and digest. This process is, I believe, known as studying.

Would you posit that, having read simply the Satanic Bible, someone knows as much about Satanism as another person who has read all of LaVey's available literature, and the literature of several supporting philosophies besides? Satanism may be a philosophy of action, but any time communication between persons is involved, particularly through literature, the door is opened for misinterpretation, and resulting study for clarification.

If I have misunderstood what you are trying to say, please clarify.

#57634 - 09/20/04 12:23 PM Re: Your Basic Verbage and Aesthetics 101 [Re: Captn_Thatch]
simasud666 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New York, USA
I agree with you whole heartedly. How ever there are some of us that really have to think harder about what we are writing and putting down because we weren't all born alike.

Like myself it takes me a little longer to get things down because I have to slow down and really think about what I am writing. Although I have a IQ of 176 my brain doesn't alway work really well. I have found this more true since I turned 50. I was born with dyslexia and because it wasn't something that was known about when I went to school everyone called me dumb. I knew what it was I was trying to say but when it come to getting it onto paper it looked like jibberish to everyone else. Since I couldn't set down because of this and read a book by myself they though I was retarded.

Well I had good friends that would help me back then and I had good grades because I hide my problem well. When it came to hands on I excelled. It wasn't until my 20s that I was watching the Donahue show that I learned what my problem was. I have since learned to read although to actually write with pen and paper I have to set and think about what letters go where and which way they go, but it still looks like chicken scratch. This computer makes it a lot easier but I still have to set back and think because I still have a problem with spelling words right or at least getting the letters in the right order because although my brain thinks very fast and I type fast I can cause things to be backwards or the letters are all mixed up. Believe me all the letters are there just they are mixed up in the wrong order and hard sometimes for even me to read.

Having a 176 IQ doesn't always mean that the brain works right when it comes to everything. Somedays my brain miss fires and causes my words out of my mouth to come out backasswards or I can't find the right word to say. Yes this is something that sometimes comes with age but I have lived with this my whole life.

Because of Dyslexia and the brain working faster than words can come out of my mouth I have learned to use my other senses or other things that most people never use. We are all different in our own ways and if we were all the same this would be a boring world to live in. It is like having Night Blindness which I also have and I have learned to use my hearing to get around and the amount of steps it takes me from one place to the next as well as knowing where things are placed. We make fun of this by saying I am one of the things that go bump in the night. But like I said your other senses come into play and you learn to use them.

I was born this way just like I was born a Satanist. My kids are different too. One of my children was born with a IQ of 176 and has gone on to be a wiz in the computer world of DC. One of my other children has a brain like my own which works faster than he can talk or write but he didn't end up with dyslexia. His IQ 130 and he is also a computer wiz, my 14 year old has a normal IQ but is bored easily and needs to be pushed on. However when it comes to Math and History and Science he excells and has no interest in computers. We all try very hard and are good in our own fields and we use all of our senses when we need them. I keep a dictionary close at hand so I don't come off a blithering idiot but that is my help not only when writing but also when I read. For although most of the words I know what they mean sometimes like everyone else I have to look up a word. Most of the time it isn't because I didn't know the meaning but because even though I am reading it right the jumble that happens in my head has to get turned around so that I understand what it is trying to say.

#57635 - 09/20/04 06:18 PM Re: Your Basic Verbage and Aesthetics 101 [Re: simasud666]
Captn_Thatch Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 11549'00"W 3714'00"N
Quote:

I have a IQ of 176

Are you a member of the Mega society? An IQ of 176 means that your intelligence only happens once in every million people.

I'd like to see what the certificate looks like if you have one.

In my lifetime, after meeting several thousand people, I've already met about 99% of the Mega Society.

So I'm told.

#57636 - 09/20/04 07:03 PM Re: Your Basic Verbage and Aesthetics 101 [Re: Captn_Thatch]
simasud666 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New York, USA
My Ex husband who was a Mensa member had me tested because he thought I was really smart just had dyslexia. The testers that tested me said I had a 176 IQ and then he took me to the Mensa Meetings with him. I got bored of the meetings and quit going. If he did get a certificate he never told me about it but he also didn't tell me about the Mensa member he was bonking either. You see we had a PO Box and he got the mail so if there was one I didn't know because he kept me in the dark about a lot of things until I got really smart. This happened in 1974. I know that there is no excuse for being stupid back then but he is also the one who took my SB away from me because he was a Christian Scientist and I was 20 and naive. I am just glad I smartened up in a hurry and dumped him only after 6 months of marriage.

I know they have checked my older boy twice and he has a certificate. He was checked while he was in school and he was checked while he was in Washington where he lives today. By the way my first husband is his father. His father has all kinds of awards and Mensa things hanging on his walls and his IQ is 200 even though I didn't really believe that He showed papers proving it. Like I said before we were both members of Mensa in Savannah GA. He was for quit a few years and myself for a few months.

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44031 Topics
406347 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements