Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#57963 - 09/21/04 03:42 PM The so called "necronomicon"
Helliott Offline

Loc: VA
I was in Barnes and Noble the other day, and I saw they had a copy of the Necronomicon spellbook. Out of sheer curiousity, I picked it up, read it, and laughed. It seemed so hypocritical at times and so serious and psuedo-Xtian yet psuedo pagan that I was almost tempted to buy it, just for the entertainment value. It does however require the "magician" to call on various spirits for this and that, sort of like the infernal Names in The Satanic Bible. One of the principal names in the necronomicon, Marduk, is even mentioned in TSB. After reading it, it made me wonder: Does the Church of Satan have an official position on these so called spells? Personally I think it falls under the LaVeyan philoshpy of hypocritcal self deceit, and for that reason alone i will not take part. Read it for yourself, if you're not familiar.
"I come from hell, presently, to take you there!" -Edward "Blackbeard" Teach "You can't spell Slaughter without Laughter!" "What must one do to become blessed? That I do not know, but I say to you: 'Be Blessed, and then do whatever you please." -Friedrich Nietzsche

#57964 - 09/21/04 03:44 PM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: Helliott]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Prevention of Virtue

S Magazine 1 & 2
S Magazine 3

#57965 - 09/22/04 10:14 AM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: Helliott]
Mike_Hargis Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Bensalem, PA (Philly 'burbs)
Is it just me, or is your sig line a quote by Khan in Star Trek 2?

www.myspace.com/satanist_in_pa
www.massagespace.net/Details/CMT-in-NE-Philly
www.brightfuse.com/mikehargis
www.facebook.com/people/Mike_Hargis/1381346496

#57966 - 09/22/04 10:17 AM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: Mike_Hargis]
ArkhamMiskatonic Offline

Moby Dick. Herman Melville
Captain Ahab.

But the character of Khan was, I believe, based on Ahab.
I think.

HS
WH Bean

#57967 - 09/29/04 06:47 PM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: Mike_Hargis]
Helliott Offline

Loc: VA
It might be, I'm not a fan of star trek but i got it from a friend of mine
"I come from hell, presently, to take you there!" -Edward "Blackbeard" Teach "You can't spell Slaughter without Laughter!" "What must one do to become blessed? That I do not know, but I say to you: 'Be Blessed, and then do whatever you please." -Friedrich Nietzsche

#57968 - 10/16/04 06:21 AM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: Helliott]
Nemesis2000AD Offline

Loc: Scotland.
Off topic, but i thoroughly reccomend reading Moby Dick by Herman Melville. One of the finest portrayal of obsession ever put onto paper, and a masterpiece in it's own right. After that i suggest Paradise Lost by John Milton. Class dismissed!

#57969 - 10/19/04 06:16 PM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: Helliott]
Mekhet Offline

Loc: The Levant
I happen to own an anthropology book concerning Babylonian Paganism and I am familiar with the use of names of Ancient Gods such as Marduch. However, the relation between the Necronomicon images and the genuine Gods is little, like it's importance beyond what is written in the article about it in the CoS website.

Personally, the use I have for this book is as a Ritual prop - which I find quite satisfactory as a person residing in a Levantine country

Hail Mardu..errr Satan!

#57970 - 10/23/04 03:15 AM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: Helliott]
sillysatanicname Offline

Sweet topic... I love this little book for all the "mischief" it causes...

First off, let me introduce myself as not a "SATANIST" so much as a "satanist philosopher"

It never ceases to entertain me how some little rebellious, antisocial eleven-teen year old can earn themself the title of "diabolical", "wicked", and just plain ol evil by owning a piece of wonderful fiction...

though the historical and mythological implications of Lovecraft's work are astounding, I think one of the replys said it best in that "I use it as a prop for psychodrama" which it more than serves it's purpose.

I don't think modern Satanism (having been familiar with it for over eight years now) is best represented by hokey-ass mumbo-jumbo written by a sci-fi author whose works have inspired everything from the likes of grade B horror flicks to live-action role-playing games.

...course I could be wrong, I'm really damn drunk right now.

#57971 - 10/23/04 10:34 AM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: Helliott]
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Personally I think it falls under the LaVeyan philoshpy of hypocritcal self deceit, and for that reason alone i will not take part.

First, if for whatever reason you haven't yet, read the essay that LKRice offered the link to.

If you've read TSB, then you should be at least familiar with the idea of the "suspension of disbelief." Do you fully understand what that concept is? In Satanic ritual, Satanists conciously decide to suspend their disbeliefs in order to stimulate themselves with a psychodramatic experience. Rituals need not be limited to what is outlined in TSB or TSR. Satanists can, of course, author their own ritual, and the premise that Satanists are individuals with large amounts of creative originality encourages one to do so.

Since a Satanist can construct their own original ritual for whatever purpose, of course they can include any tool or prop which will successfully stimulate them in the desired manner. Someone brought up in a Christian household may conduct a ritual that cleanses them of any Christian residue through actions that would be considered traditional blasphemy in the eyes of Christians. Thus, a Holy Bible may be a prop used in Satanic ritual, for the purpose of stimulating the participants in its destruction (or other blaspheme). To a Satanist brought up in a Buddhist household, destroying a Christian text may do absolutely nothing for them in the way of stimulation.

To a Satanist who has read many stories by H. P. Lovecraft, and/or studied the more ancient religions of Sumeria, The Necronomicon may be an extremely stimulating tome to use in Satanic ritual.

As far as the book itself, yes, it is a work of fantasy and fiction built upon some half truths of an ancienct Sumerian religion. (And that is why a suspension of disbelief is necessary to successfully use this book in ritual.) Since the Satanist knows he or she is suspending his or her disbelief, it is not a case of hypocritical self deceit because it is a concious choice to do it. After the ritual, disbeliefs are returned.

Remember, Satanism is about bringing extremes and seemingly opposites together; magic and logic, fantasy and reality.

#57972 - 10/23/04 02:34 PM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: Mason_Rust]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Exactly!
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#57973 - 10/23/04 03:25 PM Close but no cigar. [Re: sillysatanicname]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Greetings Mr. "satanist philosopher".

After you have sobered up and made you proper required introduction in the appropriate forum you can perhaps come back here and explain precisely how you can be a "satanist philosopher" and not a Satanist.

I'm looking forward to that!

#57974 - 10/24/04 09:58 PM Re: The "Necronomicon", Lovecraft, and ancient Iraq [Re: Helliott]
ABZU Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Oregon
I suppose there is nothing left to say about the multiple copies of the "Necronomicon", or suspension of disbelief within the ritual chamber. Mason_Rust's comments and the link above did a better job of that than I could have mustered.

One thing I can add is in the original post you are referring to the "Necronomicon spellbook", and that is one section from the "Necronomicon" by Avon books that is being resold as a "spellbook" to capitalize on the popularity. The copy by Avon is the only "Necronomicon" (I have found or heard of) that isn't purely based on Lovecrafts stories. The problem is the text is a mix of; Lovecraftian Gods and stories, Sumerian / Akkadian Gods and stories, and a healthy dose of imagination, all thrown into a blender until it turns an unhealthy shade of brown. Some of Lovecrafts stories are based on Sumerian Gods and stories, and some are half-based. For example, the Demon "Azagthoth" is a compound of the Sumerian Demon "AZAG" and the Egyptian God Thoth. The extremely popular Cthulhu does not exist. Cthulhu is probably morphed from or based on the Sumerian fish-humanoid Demon "Kulullu".
Whatever works for you in ritual, let it work. As far as the tonal qualities of the Sumerian language, they work for me. If you don't know what the words mean, it probably won't make one difference to you anyways.
*wink wink*

Just my 2 cents

#57975 - 10/25/04 04:29 PM Humorous Side Note [Re: Svengali]
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Just an aside...

I purchased Avon's Necronomicon around the age of twelve for the humor value. Though I didn't know the full background on where the book came from, I was still quite aware that it was a work of fiction and not to be taken seriously. So, when one of my friends who was much more of an occultnik than I warned me of the dangers of the book, I scoffed it away.

"Just so you know," he said, "there's a few things you never want to do with that book. Don't read aloud from it. Never leave it sitting open--if you aren't reading it, make sure it's closed. Oh, and it's also a good idea to keep it face down because of the symbol on the front." I laughed at this. "Why? What's going to happen if I break those rules," I asked. "You never know, man, but bad stuff, I'm sure. I'm just trying to help you out, you know. That book deals with some powerful stuff that you don't want to welcome into your life."

Well, it turned out that his advice was right on the money, but for the wrong reasons. That day, I went home and broke all of his rules, just so I could shove it in his face the next day, as 12 year old boys are sometimes wont to do. I read from it aloud (that is, the parts that I had a snowball's chance in Hell of pronouncing), left it open while attending to other boyhood responsibilities, and eventually when I was finished with my little experiments, left it on my bed right-side-up with the sigil on the cover for any would be demon to see. But it wasn't a demon, spook, or undead specter who ended up seeing it...it was my disapproving mother. The consequences to leaving the book cover up was far worse than simply inviting unwelcomed forces: a month without Friday night movies, and instead, Wednesday afternoon discussions with my local Catholic priest!

#57976 - 10/25/04 04:56 PM Re: Humorous Side Note [Re: Mason_Rust]
simasud666 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New York, USA
I bet that by breaking all the rules you were given the consequences were worst than any demon or even hell would have given you. I laughed so hard I almost wet myself.

Being the mother of two teen boys at home I always wondered what I would do if I found something in their room that I would not approve of. Then I remembered I rarely go into their room except to say good night. Now if I could get them to read anything at all I would be a happy mother.

#57977 - 03/06/06 09:54 AM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: Helliott]
raven Offline

Loc: Connecticut
I had terrible terrible luck after obtaining the Necronomicon and the accompanying spellbook. And I have no real clue why.

Edited by raven (03/06/06 10:24 AM)

#57978 - 03/06/06 09:57 AM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: raven]
raven Offline

Loc: Connecticut
I also don't know what to do with them. keep them or not? and if not, how do I dispense with them without causing further calamity?

#57979 - 03/06/06 10:58 AM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: raven]
MagisterRose Offline
CoS Magister

Fly away little bird, this is the wrong tree for you to perch in.

The good die young... because they see it's no use living if you've got to be good.
John Barrymore

HARDCOVER INFERNALIA

PAPERBACK INFERNALIA

HARDCOVER KASIDAH

PAPERBACK KASIDAH

#57980 - 03/06/06 11:04 AM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: raven]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
How did you manage to find a thread that's almost a year and half old? Is there a hack to the search engine or something?

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#57981 - 03/06/06 11:20 AM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: Bill_M]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Bill,

Go to any specific forum's main header page and click 'next' in the archives. Or the numbered links.

This will take you quite far back, much more than the six month limit on the search engine.

The thermal conductivity of helium II is greater than that of any other known substance, a million times that of helium I and hundred of times that of copper. This is because heat conduction occurs via a quantum mechanism.

Second sound is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which heat transfer occurs by wave-like motion, rather than by the usual mechanism of diffusion. Heat takes the place of pressure in normal sound waves. This leads to very high thermal conductivity. It's known as "second sound" because the wave motion of heat is similar to the propagation of sound in air.

Sound waves are fluctuations in the density of molecules in a substance; second sound waves are fluctuations in the density of phonons. Second sound can be observed in any system in which most phonon-phonon collisions conserve momentum. This occurs in superfluids and in dielectric crystals when Umklapp scattering is small.

#57982 - 03/06/06 12:01 PM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: Quaark]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>Go to any specific forum's main header page and
>>click 'next' in the archives. Or the numbered links.

Oh I know about THAT. I just didn't think somebody would actually go through the effort of checking through 20 pages of such threads just to dig up an old one and add a sentence. I was wrong!

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#57983 - 03/06/06 12:04 PM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: Bill_M]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Quote:

I just didn't think somebody would actually go through the effort

Well, she is apparently being "cursed" by her books, so she had motivation to find that thread.

The thermal conductivity of helium II is greater than that of any other known substance, a million times that of helium I and hundred of times that of copper. This is because heat conduction occurs via a quantum mechanism.

Second sound is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which heat transfer occurs by wave-like motion, rather than by the usual mechanism of diffusion. Heat takes the place of pressure in normal sound waves. This leads to very high thermal conductivity. It's known as "second sound" because the wave motion of heat is similar to the propagation of sound in air.

Sound waves are fluctuations in the density of molecules in a substance; second sound waves are fluctuations in the density of phonons. Second sound can be observed in any system in which most phonon-phonon collisions conserve momentum. This occurs in superfluids and in dielectric crystals when Umklapp scattering is small.

#57984 - 03/06/06 12:18 PM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: raven]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
Quote:

I also don't know what to do with them. keep them or not? and if not, how do I dispense with them without causing further calamity?

I sold Mine on Amazon, for 99p more than it was worth! (I sold it for 99p, then).

#57985 - 03/06/06 01:31 PM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: raven]
ElJago Offline

Loc: Northumberland, England
Was the necronomican a genuine occult grimoire written by the "mad arab" abdul al hazrad in the 11th century ?

Nah !, I think it was written from scratch as a background source material for the cthulu mythos by a bookish, shy scifi/horror author from New England called Howard Philip Lovecraft. I own a copy of one of the updated versions of the necronomican which contains the "original" text plus comments, articles by fans, and enthusiasts of Lovecraft including August Derleth.

I think the idea of owning the book somehow "curses" you is....well.....bullplop quite frankly. Many satanists, chaos magicians, and occultists use some of the cthulu mythology in their rituals and they haven't been plagued by misfortune.

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said, "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll, Through the looking glass.

#57986 - 03/06/06 02:21 PM The curse of the "necronomicon" [Re: raven]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Your bad luck began the moment you spent good money for it!

#57987 - 03/06/06 06:41 PM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: raven]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Quote:

Eat them! Is the only way!

#57988 - 03/06/06 06:48 PM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: Old_Pig]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
You mean chopping them up into little pieces and then subsequently burying them all over the world won't work?

Damnit, now I have to go dig 'em all up!
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#57989 - 03/06/06 07:11 PM Bad luck, Indeed! [Re: Nemo]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
Quote:

Your bad luck began the moment you spent good money for it!

I purchased this book at the age of thirteen.
It's powerful stuff.
In fact, I've been stuck inside my magjickal circle ever since that fateful day, when I summoned "the Watcher."
Now it's just common sense, of course,
that one can't rightfully leave a mah-jick circle without a proper banishment spell.
Alas! -- My necro-tome of black writ had been thoughtlessly left outside the bounds of my protective circle!
Damn you, Mad Arab... Damn you...

Enki, Why hast thou forsaken me?

HS!

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#57990 - 03/06/06 08:06 PM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: Linguascelesta]
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
Quote:

Quote:

I sold Mine on Amazon, for 99p more than it was worth! (I sold it for 99p, then).

Oh, come on now, the paper it is written on must have some value. It can be recycled and used for some useful purpose.

I actually still have my copy. Why? Because it wasn't worth the effort to dispose of it and it acts as a buffer for my other books from falling over on one another

SETI@Home Team

#57991 - 03/08/06 01:42 PM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: Old_Pig]
Carlos Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Eat them! Is the only way!

Mabey she could try rectal-ingestion?

#57992 - 03/09/06 09:09 AM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: sillysatanicname]
man_mind Offline
Banned

http://www.mystae.com/restricted/streams/scripts/necronomicon.html

Whether correct or not, it should answer several of the honest or even dihonest questions people have asked, as to where the ideas came from for the necronomicon, and pretty much all of HPL's ideas.

"Did some Mad Arab write it? Noo."

Of course not. On the very first page of that link, it explains where the name of the arab came from! It also translates the meaning of mad, in arab, to make thing a little more clear for the Cthulhu and Necronomicon enthusiest.

Enjoy!

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#57993 - 03/09/06 11:11 AM Re: The so called "necronomicon" [Re: Helliott]
warlord518 Offline

From my understanding and research i did on that book, it is completly false, it was created for the soul purpose of drama. It was one of the biggest frauds wrote by the publishers, they thought it was a good idea to write a book that would capture the imagination of its readers. Neither the mad Arab nor the spells are supposedly real. And there does not exist a real scroll as the book also depicts exists in the very beginning.

#57994 - 03/10/06 12:23 PM Unrelated note, but I was just wondering... [Re: raven]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
Quote:

I only love Satan. I give up. I give up. I give up. I give up. I give up. I give up. I give up. I give up. I give up.www.vampiretemple.com (pretty people only) otherwise you are not allowed to write in colors and you get banned eventually. they are strict on this. www.vampiretemple.com don't waste their time...pretty single independant people who wont get missed if they are kidnapped forever and reported dead(so no one looks for you while they are busy with you.)pretty people only I repeat. www.vampiretemple.com

What?

#57995 - 03/10/06 12:32 PM Re: Unrelated note, but I was just wondering... [Re: Linguascelesta]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
I guess she's not one of the "pretty people."
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#57996 - 03/10/06 03:05 PM Re: Unrelated note, but I was just wondering... [Re: Poetaster]
Carlos Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:

I guess she's not one of the "pretty people."

Obviously, if her books are haunting her!

#57997 - 03/10/06 04:22 PM Re: Unrelated note, but I was just wondering... [Re: Linguascelesta]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Yeah...... oooookaaaay.

I noticed that a bit earlier today. Usually when things like that pop up,
the "ignore this user" feature is my friend.

#57998 - 03/11/06 05:49 PM Re: Unrelated note, but I was just wondering... [Re: RandomStranger]
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
Quote:

Usually when things like that pop up,
the "ignore this user" feature is my friend.

I used to ignore people like this - but then I realized I was missing out on some really good laughs!

SETI@Home Team

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
11893 Members
73 Forums
43643 Topics
404172 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements