Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#58171 - 09/22/04 05:00 PM Introduction policies
Silence Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 29 Palms, CA
I'm sure others have noticed in the many mediocre introductions on the board, newcomers' main complaints with flames against their posts are that nowhere in board policy does it state that:

1) You must be a relatively good typist
2) This is not a place to "learn" about Satanism
3) This board is not a "club"
4) No one was accepted into the CoS simply by registering here
ad infinitum...

I would like to suggest that in the interest of efficiency, a moderator amend Magister Lang's sticky or make a new sticky which states up front that introductions should be done without a blatant disregard for proper English spelling/grammar/punctuation, especially if the user is a native speaker (Pity how non-native speakers often know the language better than natives).

This way, when people get flamed because of their crappy intros, just point them to the policy thread and they no longer have grounds for complaint. It would also save the welcomers from spelling out the errors every time.

What does everyone think?

#58172 - 09/22/04 05:27 PM Re: Introduction policies [Re: Silence]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

What do I really think?

I think a lot of underqualified people make unnecessary flames (none of this is particularly directed at the original poster, Silence), especially in the Introductions forum. Even if someone is obviously not a Satanist (i.e., is an atheist, secular humanist, pagan of some stripe), why give a bad image to the Church of Satan by tossing a meaningless schoolyard taunt at them?

At the same time, and in corrolation to this, the Introduction forum is the kennel of all kennels. We aren't expecting rocket science in there, in fact its the filter where we hope to catch the rubbish first, so you can expect it to be a little dirty. If someone makes a ridiculously stupid post, rather than trouble yourself berating them, why not be pleased that they've voluntarily exposed themselves for the Moderators to dispose of conveniently with no trouble to the rest of the outer forums?

#58173 - 09/22/04 05:37 PM Re: Introduction policies [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
RustySpring Offline
CoS Warlock

Good point, Leviathan.

I, for one, have taken note.

HS!

#58174 - 09/22/04 11:26 PM Re: Introduction policies [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Silence Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 29 Palms, CA
Quote:

If someone makes a ridiculously stupid post, rather than trouble yourself berating them, why not be pleased that they've voluntarily exposed themselves for the Moderators to dispose of conveniently with no trouble to the rest of the outer forums?

That was exactly my point. I rarely post in the intro section because I don't feel like I should have to be a teacher for people who will never get it anyway. I read a lot of responses about how horrible certain users' typing skills are, then they reply by saying, "I didn't know I had to actually make myself look good to you people" trying to use the fact that it isn't "officially in the rules" as an excuse not to get banned.

Apparently, new users are inclined to read only Mag. Lang's rules and pay no attention to previous introductions and their responses. I thought maybe putting a few more requirements "officially in the rules" would cut down on time spent explaining that a degree of professionalism is required for communication here, as well as possibly save Mag. Ventrue a little space.

#58175 - 09/23/04 11:59 AM Re: Introduction policies [Re: Silence]
simasud666 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New York, USA
I couldn't agree with all of you more. I have seen so many horrible excuses for some of the intro's that it makes me sick.

I also see a lot of kids that have no clue to what they are coming here for, which makes me wonder, what ever happened to the adult policy that LaVey made?

#58176 - 09/23/04 02:39 PM Re: Introduction policies [Re: Silence]
London Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Inmost Dens
Quote:

I would like to suggest that in the interest of efficiency, a moderator amend Magister Lang's sticky or make a new sticky which states up front that introductions should be done without a blatant disregard for proper English spelling/grammar/punctuation, especially if the user is a native speaker (Pity how non-native speakers often know the language better than natives).

How about this: just make a rule that says "No jackasses allowed." I think that covers almost all of the problems LttD experiences.
I personally don't see the Jackass problem as being very severe. The Mods and Admins do a good job of cleaning out the rubbish. The Jackasses usually last a week or two tops anyways. What bothers me more (as has been stated) are the people who are allowed to remain who's sole contributions to this board are flaming newbies and nitpicking any typo or grammatical error they see, no matter how infrequent it may be

In the same vein, I thought it would be a great prank to ban someone, but let him keep coming to the site and posting anyway. The user is allowed to see his posts, but no one else (to lead him on and so other people don't have to be bothered with it). After a few months completely block him from the site with a message that reads "You were banned X months ago. No one has read your posts from that point on."
If they want to waste everybody's time by posting crap, why not waste theirs?

#58177 - 09/23/04 03:21 PM Re: Introduction policies [Re: Silence]
Warlock Rikard Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: NJ
It wouldn’t hurt to make it a bit more clear what is expected of a new member here. At least we could say that they were warned, and it should come as no surprise to them if they are banned. However, I suspect that many newcomers will continue to disregard any post containing said guidelines, so little will change.

I also agree with LeviathanXIII that the introduction section serves a filtering device for the rest of the board, and I think the LttD moderators do a great job weeding out the worthless in a timely fashion. That being said, I agree that it is counterproductive to taunt the offending newcomers. I for one, will no longer waist my precious time doing so.

Reverend Svengali has recently addressed a related issue, and the post is now sticky in the General Satanism section.

Screamin Demon Fiery Foods:
Purveyors of the Most Sinister Hot Sauces & Fiery Foods Since 2001
www.screamindemonfieryfoods.com

#58178 - 09/23/04 03:55 PM Re: Introduction policies [Re: London]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

In the same vein, I thought it would be a great prank to ban someone, but let him keep coming to the site and posting anyway. The user is allowed to see his posts, but no one else (to lead him on and so other people don't have to be bothered with it). After a few months completely block him from the site with a message that reads "You were banned X months ago. No one has read your posts from that point on."
If they want to waste everybody's time by posting crap, why not waste theirs?

If everyone chose to use the "Ignore" function, the same thing could be accomplished without Magister Ventrue having to waste HIS time recoding the board to function in the way you're suggesting.

Ooo! Here's an idea!!! Why doesn't everyone just do that instead of replying to bad introductions in the first place? I bet the shit factor in the kennel would drop exponentially.
Prevention of Virtue

#58179 - 09/23/04 07:05 PM Re: Introduction policies [Re: Warlock Rikard]
Mr_Atrox Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lycopolis
Quote:

However, I suspect that many newcomers will continue to disregard any post containing said guidelines, so little will change.

Precisely.

However, the refuse will continue to 'find' its way into the garbage bin.

There is little that can be done about that.

Reverend Svengali's 'Burden of Communication' addressed the issue in as direct and courteous a manner as possible.

For those who fail to take note and heed its message, I can only say--you have it coming.

I would also like to take this opportunity to extend a salute of appreciation to Magister Ventrue , all Mods , as well as all members of the Priesthood.

You, who continue to exhibit supernormal amounts of restraint, courtesy , and intelligence in true Satanic style.

I salute you all.

Hail Satan!
Deepest Respect and Regard,
Michael Lucius Suarez

#58180 - 09/23/04 08:19 PM Re: Introduction policies [Re: LKRice]
Mr. Saturday Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: USA
Ooo! Here's an idea!!! Why doesn't everyone just do that instead of replying to bad introductions in the first place? I bet the shit factor in the kennel would drop exponentially.

Bingo! Dead on as always, Witch Rice!

For those of you complaining, I suggest reading Dr. LaVey's essay titled "Lot Lice". It is a brief rundown of the problem we have in certain places on the board. If you won't take the good advice of fellow members, then read that essay and follow the good Doktor's words.

Otherwise, I refer you to the 8th Satanic Rule of the Earth.

'Nuff said! Now let's have some fun!

Mr. Saturday
Media Contact/Warlock - Church of Satan

#58181 - 09/24/04 01:19 PM Re: Introduction policies [Re: LKRice]
London Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Inmost Dens
Quote:

If everyone chose to use the "Ignore" function, the same thing could be accomplished without Magister Ventrue having to waste HIS time recoding the board to function in the way you're suggesting.

Actually, it was just an absurd joke. There is no way I would expect anyone to take this seriously. I'm no stranger to programming, and I realize it would most likely cost more to implement this idea than it would return. I'm sure Magister Ventrue disposes of the rubbish in a manner he finds pleasing.

#58182 - 10/10/04 08:45 AM Re: Introduction policies [Re: London]
Equilibrium Offline

Loc: Milton Keynes, UK.
The basic idea seems quite simple. If you choose to ignore someone, either through the Ignore function or simply not replying to thier posts, then eventually they will go away.

There are enough muppets in here who deserve the cold shoulder without stoking thier fires. The User 'Christ' is one of them. He will go away eventually...

"I'm only an Elected Official, i can't make decisions by myself!" The Mayor, Nightmare Before Christmas.

#58183 - 10/10/04 10:27 AM Re: Introduction policies [Re: RustySpring]
Elyssia Offline

Loc: Essex UK
Ok, as a relevant 'newbie' I would like to point out that an introduction is simply that, so if there are certain expectations this should be purely stated.
I myself have come here to get an insight into an area I have always felt at home with. To make an introduction to a group of people in an area that matters alot to you is a difficult thing to do. Often words elude you, and writings are not as eloquent as usual. I agree that it is a good way to get a first impression of someone, but please bear these factors in mind.

#58184 - 10/10/04 11:18 AM Re: Introduction policies [Re: Elyssia]
RustySpring Offline
CoS Warlock

Was this reply meant for me?

If so, you have nothing to justify to me. I am neither a moderator, nor do I have any say in anything that happens here.

I am assuming that you accidentally replied to the wrong person?

Welcome and HS!

#58185 - 10/10/04 06:50 PM Re: Introduction policies [Re: Silence]
The_Sixth_Circle Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hell; where else?
I like to think that an introduction is a very important part of trying to foster an intellectual two way communicative relationship with anyone, online or offline. Ultimately, the old cliche is absolutely correct;

"First impressions last."

Despite the elderly quote, I think it's absolutely right. I've little time for an introduction that has neither thought nor time put into it. Again as a relative newbie here (ignoring my erstwhile incarnation) I endeavoured to make sure that my introduction was well put, thoughtful, eloquent and honest. In the real world, I'm exactly the same - I make snap judgements on those I meet based on their initial greeting. A warm handshake, eye contact and attentiveness make me think this may be the type of individual I'd like to know better. A short "alright man" and then general ignorance obviously has the opposite effect.

I think what has been said by others in this thread is right - if you don't like it, you don't have to reply. Satanic rule number eight has already been quoted and I can't think of a more fitting statement to cover most feelings toward this.

Short note to Elyssia,

I understand where you're coming from, but all new posters are given a week of grace in order to come up with their introduction. Personally, I think that's more than fair and provides you time to make a couple of posts, read a couple of threads and wait for some inspiration to be conjured up. While saying hello to any group of people isn't easy, I reckon a week is more than enough time to come up with something worthwhile.

Incidentally though, the moderators/administrators probably enjoy some of the more idiotic introductions - fools have an uncanny knack of providing inadvertant amusement.

Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived. - Sir Oscar Wilde

#58186 - 10/11/04 11:51 AM Re: Introduction policies [Re: RustySpring]
Elyssia Offline

Loc: Essex UK
I was attempting to reply to one of the posts above.

Apologies.

E
XxX

#58187 - 10/26/04 09:36 AM Re: Introduction policies [Re: Elyssia]
null Offline

Hello people. Interesting thread however I feel I have to raise a question (as I always do!)... satanism cherishes the individuals rights to excercise creativity, but in this forum that would mean that minimalists would never be admitted. If the post they made were only a few lines of text (pleasurable to the eye of the beholder) they would ultimatley be banned for not extrapolating (shit-talking for want of a better word).

#58188 - 10/26/04 09:55 AM Re: Introduction policies [Re: null]
Magister Frost Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Actually this is incorrect. If you make a proper introduction, even a short one it would be acceptable. I have seen plenty of acceptable "short" introductions. But for those like you who try so hard to "fight" the system, you will never understand the reasoning behind it all.

The Introductions section serves a purpose and your introduction told me volumes about you, which was exactly what it was designed for.

From Hell,

Magister Frost

---------------------------------------
We're all around you, are you one of Us?
---------------------------------------
- The Church of Satan Emporium
- Satannet.com
- churchofsatan.com

#58189 - 10/26/04 07:40 PM Re: Introduction policies [Re: Magister Frost]
null Offline

My response to Daark:

Is it in your nature to squash every one that questions the rules? I was asking a valid question (one that has not been answered in the multitude of ass-kissing replies to this thread) and in the correct location on the website. I have followed you 'forum rules', I just think they are flawed.

My response to Magister_Ventrue:

Thankyou for clarifying, I think this needs to be stated in the forum rules. Every system can be improved. The only way improve it is to find its limitations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12162 Members
73 Forums
43921 Topics
405743 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements