Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#58237 - 10/31/04 03:15 AM Re: THE BURDEN OF COMMUNICATION [Re: Plato]
Foxred Offline

Loc: .
I don't think there is such thing as "should"... It is based on different principles. Universe is too big to sustain control. Return . It's funny how thru words we can see who we are talking to ...

#58238 - 10/31/04 03:20 AM Re: THE BURDEN OF COMMUNICATION [Re: Skyla]
Foxred Offline

Loc: .
Your English doesn't have to be perfect.

#58239 - 11/04/04 02:07 PM Re: "using their second language" [Re: Foxred]
Bedlam Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Perfidious Albion
I find that people using English as their second language often have a far greater grasp of it than many who deem it their first. I suspect that this is because they have taken time out to actually learn it.

There does at least seem to have been a vast reduction in the amount of "u r gr8 2nite" nonsense.

Do I look like I carry a pencil? Jason Statham

It may be Crazy
But I'm the closest thing I have
To a voice of reason

~ Gil Scott Heron

#58240 - 11/08/04 10:23 AM Re: Some people just don't get it [Re: Captn_Thatch]
Fiendboy5000 Offline

Loc: Adelaide australia
I'll bet he didnt die with any lint in his navel.

#58241 - 11/28/04 07:40 PM Re: Some people just don't get it [Re: Fiendboy5000]
stardust Offline

Loc: currently ch
Uh oh... after reading this Posting I think I'll have to edit my first Post on another thread. I will try to write correct english by now. But as I have always the problem of which word should begin with a capital letter and which not, I'd like to apologize for any errors.

#58242 - 12/05/04 11:28 AM Re: THE BURDEN OF COMMUNICATION [Re: Svengali]
Quija Offline

Loc: Germany
As a member of another (german) newsgroup I would like to inform you, that we are discussing just the same thing: orthography! Here is a quote from a german journalist which I have posted lately, for better understanding it has been translated by Babel Fish...

"I stand firmly to my conviction that it is a first-rate charakterliche Widerwaertigkeit to make itself merry over other people spelling mistake. Is amazing, as straight people, which talked otherwise all possible irregularities or even the Anarchismus the word, bit itself over a few redundant line moose ereifern. I see a erspriesslicheres certification of people creativity in apostrophes, in places, where before ever apostrophes were not, at least as in Graffitigeschmiere at historical buildings. Orthography is a pretty thing for people, which have fun at it." Max Goldt

#58243 - 12/05/04 11:34 AM Re: THE BURDEN OF COMMUNICATION [Re: Quija]
BlueMoon Offline
CoS Member

Is that YOU, Yoda????

Find me on MySpace...

[color:"silver"]Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
~ Harvey Fierstein[/color]

#58244 - 12/05/04 12:22 PM Re: THE BURDEN OF COMMUNICATION [Re: BlueMoon]
Quija Offline

No, probably not. If the word "Indiependance" doesn't mean anything to you, it's not me. If you googled it and found the board, please don't join as long as you don't feel you're one of them.

#58245 - 12/05/04 12:34 PM Re: THE BURDEN OF COMMUNICATION [Re: Quija]
BlueMoon Offline
CoS Member

You didnīt get the hint.

Find me on MySpace...

[color:"silver"]Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
~ Harvey Fierstein[/color]

#58246 - 02/07/05 07:49 PM Re: THE BURDEN OF COMMUNICATION [Re: Svengali]
Schopenhauer Offline

Loc: Finland
Whaddaya?...Layer?...

#58247 - 02/20/05 05:30 AM Re: THE BURDEN OF COMMUNICATION [Re: Svengali]
juggalolove Offline

This may be completly off topic, but I got a couple questions.

First off, I own the satanic bible and have read it. Now I love what is said inside as far as being your own god and taking responsiblty for your actions.

My question is, if I do not agree as far as worshiping satan, but agree with some of the views discussed in the book, where would that put me?

I do not worship anyone but myself. I'm asking this so I do not give a headache to those that worship satan by continuing to post.

#58248 - 02/20/05 08:00 AM Re: THE BURDEN OF COMMUNICATION [Re: juggalolove]
MagisterRose Offline
CoS Magister

Either you did not read the book, or your reading comprehension is pathetic.

Go away!

The good die young... because they see it's no use living if you've got to be good.
John Barrymore

HARDCOVER INFERNALIA

PAPERBACK INFERNALIA

HARDCOVER KASIDAH

PAPERBACK KASIDAH

#58249 - 02/23/05 03:00 PM Re: THE BURDEN OF COMMUNICATION [Re: MagisterRose]
Satanya Offline
Banned

I have noticed one thing from an experiment I did, most people do not know what they read. This can be verified by asking them to read a page of book or one of any electronic medium, then following it, asking them to tell you about what they have just read, the results are truly amusing.

#58250 - 05/15/05 08:01 PM Re: "using their second language" [Re: Bedlam]
oggi Offline

Loc: Finland
True.
English grammar is made for elite. Everybody must learn it to be capable to read and write it, to belong this "elite".

#58251 - 05/16/05 07:06 AM Re: THE BURDEN OF COMMUNICATION [Re: Svengali]
ThrashinHellslut Offline

Quote:

Form is spelling, grammar, and punctuation. There is no excuse for lacking these basic skills. If you have a hard time with this, try writing your post in Word or whatever word-processing program that came loaded in your computer. Most of these programs are designed to correct basic errors of spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

Ah, I know this problem from some German forums. I also don't like it, when people write phrases as numbers, like: "h3ll0 h0w 4r3 y0u?" or alternately in BiG aNd SmAlL lEtTeRs. Or those who totally ignore the German grammar.
I, myself, have to say that I sometimes got the problem to eject my exact opinion in English (for example in this forum). But at least, I'm trying to do this, sometimes with using www.leo.org
An excellent translating program

I'm also NOT the type of person who says something without any explanation or reason. These people just don't know of what a discussion lives from.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406053 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements