Topic Options
#59413 - 09/29/04 07:10 PM Hurricane Season
Helliott Offline

Loc: VA
This is for all who may have been affected (severly or not) by the recent string of hurricanes hitting Florida and the Mississippi coast. My own hometown of Roanoke Va has experienced severe flooding as a result, and many lives around here have been forever altered. May this serve to remind us all to respect the power of nature, wherever you may be in the world. Man is the dominant species of this planet, but we will never be the masters of earth, that is reserved for nature itself. There was also an earthquake in California yesterday.
"I come from hell, presently, to take you there!" -Edward "Blackbeard" Teach "You can't spell Slaughter without Laughter!" "What must one do to become blessed? That I do not know, but I say to you: 'Be Blessed, and then do whatever you please." -Friedrich Nietzsche

#59414 - 09/29/04 08:18 PM Re: Hurricane Season [Re: Helliott]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
What do you mean “we will never be...”? I am already the master of Earth!

Yes, I admit some times the forces of nature cause me little setbacks. I lost most of my belonging to a flood some years ago. I especially lament my great collection of Playboy and National Geographic magazines ruined by water damage.

I just understand that nothing last forever and Earth is a system in permanent movement, so there is to be expected natural phenomena to interfere with human affairs every once in a while.

But I will never get that fatalist attitude about “nature having the last word”. That sounds too much like “God have the last word”.

The forces of Nature are powerful indeed… but lets not forget WE are a part of that Nature too!

#59415 - 09/29/04 11:15 PM Re: Hurricane Season [Re: Old_Pig]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
I get the same reaction from his post."Impersonal forces rarely do anything." I've said that before and I think it can apply here as well.

#59416 - 09/29/04 11:46 PM Re: Hurricane Season [Re: Helliott]
simasud666 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New York, USA
I have to agree with Tha_pig.

However the earth is going through some great changes right now. You are going to see more hurricanes and earth quakes. The most dramatic changes will come with the eruptions of many volcanos in the Northern Hemisphere.

Right now the changing of the poles is taking place and this will cause many changes in the earth. This effects the climate, Volcanos, and the magnetic true North. People, animals etc., will be effected by the changing of the poles. Enjoy the change. Watch the signs. Be ready for anything.

#59417 - 09/30/04 01:34 PM Re: Hurricane Season [Re: Old_Pig]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I tend to think that while nature does not have the last word, but it will have things to say. I adapt and react to what nature does, and respect its power and strength. I will not allow it to determine the quality of my life, but I will respect what it can do to change or impact my life, and I won't mess around with it. If something occurs, I will accept the situation--maybe with some amount of grief or frustration, sure--and adapt accordingly, and learn from the experience.

So, I tend to see myself as playing with and interacting with the elements, rather than just totally fighting them or submitting to them. Ya gotta still have respect for nature, I'd say.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#59418 - 09/30/04 02:13 PM Re: Hurricane Season [Re: simasud666]
Foxy_Ramirez Offline

Loc: Lawrence, KS
I wouldn't doubt that Missouri and Kansas are up for another earthquake on the huge fault line that lies under the two states. I believe it has been almost a hundred years since the fault caused a quake last.

#59419 - 09/30/04 02:16 PM Re: Hurricane Season [Re: Helliott]
chimera Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA U.S.A.
Hi. From the bowl of jello (tm) coast. We'we had several quakes and several hundred goodly aftershocks, so far. We also have TWO volcanoes that are ready to let go. Mt. St. Helens is getting ansy, and the whole Yellowstone region is sitting on a magma bubble estimated to be two hundredish miles big and heading for the surface. The ground in some places is too hot to walk on already.
The Canadian Shield is looking better and better....

#59420 - 09/30/04 03:40 PM Re: Hurricane Season [Re: Foxy_Ramirez]
simasud666 Offline
CoS Member

I think we all had better keep an eye on Yellow Stone. People in the Washington State area not only have watch out for Mt. Saint Helens but they better be keeping a close eye on Mt Rainier.

If Yellow Stone goes people in the Northern Hemisphere had better have a plan on moving to the Far South. I don't believe that anyone in the North will be able to survive the Winter that will come. It could very well be the Next Ice Age.

Rainier will cause wide spread devastation at first. Then it will lay waste to all that lies in its path, If it doesn't cause the Western half of the country to break away from the Continent.

Mt. Saint Helens is only the tip of the ice berg here. That will be small in comparison to the rest. When it finally does something which will be a matter of days, not months.

#59421 - 09/30/04 04:06 PM Re: Hurricane Season [Re: TrojZyr]
simasud666 Offline
CoS Member

I couldn't agree more with you. However there is ways to see what will come just by watching different things. I have told my husband, family and friends how the winters in my area will be each year. I do this by watching the animals getting ready for the winter. The winter of 1992-1993 I told everyone that it would be a very hard winter.

We were moving in October into our new home and before we left our old, I noticed the squirrels roling the bark off the cedar trees in our back yard. Everyone said don't worry it will be a nice winter. You see I was moving into Lake effect country. Well needless to say we had a blizzard that year and it was very cold and lots of snow right from the get go.

#59422 - 09/30/04 05:17 PM Re: Hurricane Season [Re: simasud666]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Yeah, I think the real key is to just see it as reality, and see yourself as just adapting to what reality throws at you, and working cooperatively with nature and reality to get ideal results. There's no need to get angry at nature or see it as "challenging" you or see it as something that needs to be "fought" or "dominated" (NOT that I think Tha_Pig was necessarily implying these things---I'm going off in my own direction here, actually related to some discussions we had in class recently).

I think the belief that one actually "fights" or "dominates" nature is a rather counterproductive one to hold in this day and age, since it's resulting and has resulted in a lot of irresponsibility towards the environment, and a great deal of ecological harm.

Once again, I'm not saying Pig did or didn't imply all of this. His point just turned on a lightbulb for me, so I had to make a point. I do agree with Pig's underlying point that we shouldn't just *submit* to nature, or god, or whatever happens.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#59423 - 09/30/04 09:15 PM Re: Hurricane Season [Re: TrojZyr]
simasud666 Offline
CoS Member

I agree with you and Tha_pig. We can't do anything to stop what happens, but we can watch for the signs, that are right in front of us. We can prepare our selves for what is to come, and frankly, if it is going to be bad, get our selves out of harms way.

I do feel sorry for all of the people of Florida and everyother state that was effected by these storms. What I don't understand is since they know that these things do happen, maybe not every year. Why then are they allowed to build or want to build back on the beachs and in harms way? Personally I am sick of paying through Taxes and indirectly through higher premiums on my insurance, and higher prices at the hardware stores, etc. for someone elses stupidity.

Again I do agree with both of you fully. Sorry if I didn't get that across.

#59424 - 10/01/04 03:16 AM Re: Hurricane Season [Re: Helliott]
Xerx Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Italy
Not for everything but for Nature I would say:
Might is right!
In the sense that when it wants it imposes his will on us.
Our choice is only: Die or surrender.

Xerx

Forum Stats
12164 Members
73 Forums
43923 Topics
405752 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements