Topic Options
#63451 - 10/31/04 11:20 PM Interpretation of Morality
Wendy Offline

Loc: Geelong, Australia
I am curious to know what the Church of Satan viewpoint is on morality. I recently had a conversation with a friend of mine who is a Satanist claiming that he has no morals whatsoever. I am interpreting that to mean in the Biblical context of morality and the Christian concept. I totally agree that the Biblical interpretation has no place but rather suppresses natural carnal desires.
What I do find confusing is the fact that other Satanists have also informed me that they too do not have any morals whatsoever. To me this confusing because there is the issue of what can constitute a moral obligation meaning that morals do exist even for a Satanist. An example is that of parents raising children in a safe and secure environment.
Would it be more accurate to say that it isn't so much morals as in the social and legal concept, but rather that of being responsible.

Hail Satan!

#63452 - 10/31/04 11:51 PM Re: Interpretation of Morality [Re: Wendy]
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Oregon
Quote:

Would it be more accurate to say that it isn't so much morals as in the social and legal concept, but rather that of being responsible.

It would be more accurate to say that we rely on reason and rational self interest when we make decisions. 'Morality' implies that someone else determines what is right and wrong for us.

Rationally, we determine what is right and wrong for us as individuals, according to our own natures.

We respect the law because it is in our best interests, not because we 'believe' that respecting the law is 'right' and disobedience is 'wrong'. Likewise, by common Christian standards, the law is often immoral or encourages immorality. The law is not morality, it is reality. Satanists respect reality.

#63453 - 11/01/04 06:16 AM Re: Interpretation of Morality [Re: Rev_Malebranche]
Wendy Offline

Loc: Geelong, Australia
A sincere thankyou for your clarification of my question concerning morality. I have always had the opinion of doing what is right for me as an individual and had a respect for the law if it serves my purpose to do so with the realization that not all laws are going to do that. This is something I had learnt early in life associating with many members of the political arena and legal fraternity. Interestingly, one of my fathers friends a former High Court of Australia Judge and Attorney General (now deceased) once said the very thing you did about why and for what purpose people follow laws.
However the issue of morality was something that even they gave such a wide interpretation of so became rather a confusing situation for me. Your explanation was the very interpretation that I felt about doing what was right for me as an individual all along but I guess I wasn't actually relating it to morals like I should have been. So thanks for that.
Hail Satan!

Forum Stats
12254 Members
73 Forums
44034 Topics
406357 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements