Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#64704 - 11/09/04 05:59 AM Your own created gods are?
Baphy Offline

Loc: Ireland
"Man hs always created his own gods"
Other than yourself, what are your Gods (If any), what do they inspire in you? Do they have an image which you created in your mind? If so, please describe

#64705 - 11/09/04 04:38 PM Re: Your own created gods are? [Re: Baphy]
Mekhet Offline

Loc: The Levant
The first two chapters of the book of Lucifer in LaVey's "The Satanic Bible" should give you a clue.

To quote from "The God you save may be Yourself!": "He {Man} has created an entire
system of gods with nothing more than his carnal brain. Just because he has an ego,
and cannot accept it, he has to externalize it into some great spiritual device which he
calls "God"."

I, for one, can accept the fact I have an ego and do not require the search for mythological figures or external "Gods".
I have mentors, sure - but nothing in the "guru" sense of the word.

The only Gods I call are deified-personifications of the self represented by the Infernal Names during Psychodramatic activities.

Edited by Tartaric_Lion (11/09/04 04:57 PM)

#64706 - 11/09/04 04:43 PM Re: Your own created gods are? [Re: Baphy]
LeftHandJive Offline

I was created from the union between Man and Woman, how about you? If you had read the Satanic Bible, you would know that, as a Satanist, I am my own "God".

Hail!

#64707 - 11/09/04 06:16 PM Re: Your own created gods are? [Re: Baphy]
Sammael Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Detroit, MI
I believe that line simply means that all religions are created by man. All gods are created in the image of the man/men who create them - not that we all have our own personal gods, aside from ourselves.

#64708 - 11/09/04 06:21 PM Re: Your own created gods are? [Re: Baphy]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>"Man hs always created his own gods"
>>Other than yourself, what are your Gods (If any), what do
>>they inspire in you?

The full sentence in the book is "Man has always created his gods, rather than his gods creating him." It seems to me (though I could be wrong) that you just took the first half and misread it to mean "People always actively create their own gods." But as the chapter explains, deities are just a human creation, more specifically the projection of the ego (self). So worshipping deity is really just worshipping one or more people by proxy.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#64709 - 11/09/04 06:50 PM Perhaps A Better Question [Re: Baphy]
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Other than yourself, what are your Gods (If any), what do they inspire in you? Do they have an image which you created in your mind? If so, please describe.

You may want to reword your question, and if you did, I think it could be a very interesting one. The way it is currently worded implies that Satanists do not have an active "disbelief" system. Satanists do not believe in external deities, but rather, recognize themselves as god.

When in ritual setting, these disbeliefs are temporarily put on hold to conduct a more stimulating ritual. This is a concious decision on the part of the Satanist. He decides to temporarily believe in the gods he chooses. This is so that when performing the ritual, a level of emotional energy can be reached which is conductive to the goals of the ritual. After the ritual, the disbelief falls firmly back into place.

As said before, the way your question is worded, you are addressing the Satanists of this board as being devout believers in gods 24-7.

Perhaps it would be more productive to ask:
As a Satanist, what gods do you invoke in your ritual chamber that are not readily found in TSB? Where do they come from and why? Are there any which are purely inventions of your own?

I could easily see many responding to this one with some interesting replies. Perhaps there are Satanists who have experimented or at least thought about experimenting with more modern fictional "gods". A "Hellraiser" ritual where one solves a puzzle in order to invoke Xipe Totec (Pinhead) within a square of black candles, preferably in an attic. (I know I've thought about that one.)

Perhaps for us geeks out there, maybe even a Klingon ritual invoking either Kalis (a brutal version of a once mortal deity who definitely wasn't into turning the other cheek) or Fek'lhr (the Klingon equivalent of Satan), whichever floats your boat.

Just two examples. Does anyone have any others?

#64710 - 11/09/04 11:58 PM Re: Perhaps A Better Question [Re: Mason_Rust]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
I think Mason's on the right track, and I'd take it a step further.

We can ask: How do you conceive of divinity? What archetypal gods do you relate to, when you think of yourself as a god or as participating in divinity?

For example, I am attracted to the archetypes of Dionysos and of Shiva. Not static, eternal gods who transcend creation and treat it at arm's length, but rather gods of immanence, power, and vitality, gods of the pulse of life, gods who produce by destroying and consuming. Gods who affirm life, and turn the confusing and terrifying into the sublime.

#64711 - 11/10/04 12:30 AM Re: Perhaps A Better Question [Re: Mason_Rust]
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Palm Springs, California, USA
Quote:

Perhaps for us geeks out there, maybe even a Klingon ritual invoking either Kalis (a brutal version of a once mortal deity who definitely wasn't into turning the other cheek) or Fek'lhr (the Klingon equivalent of Satan), whichever floats your boat.

Okay, I have to nitpick this one. It's Kahless, not Kalis. And Fek'lhr wasn't really the Klingon version of the devil since the Klingons don't have a devil by their own admission. They did allegedly kill their gods. I'm a geek, I know. Ain't it great?

But on that Klingon vein, I used to use a bat'leth (pictured below) in rituals when in I was in High School. Unfortunately, I no longer have it.

Whatever works for a stimulating ritual, I say!
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Just updated

#64712 - 11/10/04 08:03 AM Re: Perhaps A Better Question [Re: Mason_Rust]
Rattlesnake Offline

Loc: Yurop
The "belief" and "use" of "Gods" during a ritual, in my opinion, is the externalisation of your own subconscious emotional energy. The ritual is just the "frame" of what you want to achieve. I made a ritual some time ago to get rid of a parasite guy who was bothering me. Actually, it was a very bad ritual, not an eloquently made. But my emotional output was sufficient and I haven't seen this guy in ages, and I am really happy about that. I did not used Enochian, but ancient Greek. Either way, you make it happen.

#64713 - 11/10/04 01:33 PM Re: Your own created gods are? [Re: Baphy]
Bedlam Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Perfidious Albion
Let's see...

There's Rodney - the God of Turnips. I created him in the image of...wait for it..a turnip...wearing a sombrero and smoking a cigar.

And Gerald - the God of the bottle opener. I often find myself praying to him very late at night when I'm fumbling hazily around in the kitchen drawer with an unopened bottle of Shiraz.
"Lord Gerry, deliver me, thine humble servant, the sodding corkscrew. Or thy will be done! Where the fuck is it? Amen"

Do I look like I carry a pencil? Jason Statham

It may be Crazy
But I'm the closest thing I have
To a voice of reason

~ Gil Scott Heron

#64714 - 11/10/04 04:51 PM Re: Perhaps A Better Question [Re: reprobate]
Malice Offline

See now when you put it that way, that is a worthy question.
I principally associate with trickster and rebel archetypes, such as Sun Wukong, Loki, Eris, Coyote, Crow, Maui, Puck, etc.
It's an archetype which is often underrated in western cultures, and its representatives either demonised or diminshed in modern western mythology.
In a more individual sense I also focus on select powerful female figures including Babylon, Morgana La Fey, Mab, Morrigan, the bacchante, the valkyries, Macha, Erishkagal, Boudicca, the succubi, Bast etc., as required - and not the declawed neopagan versions either, the real blood-and-guts battle goddesses, whore-queens, demonesses, military leaders, psycho bitches and terrible women.
Also underrated in western cultures and either demonised or diminshed in modern western mythology
I think that the great void of these archetypes and these sorts of figures in modern western mythology and most importantly in the modern western mind lends them a great deal of power. The persistent misinterpretation of them where they do emerge even moreso.

#64715 - 11/10/04 05:09 PM Re: Perhaps A Better Question [Re: Malice]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

In my Aesthetics tutorials this week, we're reading The Birth of Tragedy, and I got to explain the Maenad cult of Dionysos to my students.

I think it resonated with some of the young ladies, the idea of a religion in which women had sex with their god in a wild ritual orgy, got possessed, and rampaged across the countryside, tearing animals limb from limb and bathing in blood.

Sure gives some perspective to the Holy Spirit.

#64716 - 11/10/04 05:59 PM Re: Perhaps A Better Question [Re: reprobate]
Malice Offline

Animals, unwary humans, each other...
The fearsome cult is in reality quite a distance from the more common image of a bunch of trampy lushes wearing vine leaves I sometimes wonder what it must've been like. Imagine the hangover

#64717 - 11/10/04 06:11 PM Re: Perhaps A Better Question [Re: Malice]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

The professor is just a genius. He really evoked the spirit of the Maenads, when he described Euripides's The Bacchae, and especially its conclusion: Pentheus king of Thebes, his limbs twisted off by the harlot celebrants, his head mounted on a spike and paraded around town by his own mother -- as she shouted "Look at the wonderful lion I slew!"

#64718 - 11/10/04 07:03 PM Re: Perhaps A Better Question [Re: reprobate]
DancingintheDark Offline

Quote:

What archetypal gods do you relate to, when you think of yourself as a god or as participating in divinity?

Good question. From Egypt/Babylon; Isis/Ishtar, goddess of Venus, the morning and evening star, who rules the heart which propels the will, as well as Thoth (and later incarnations as Hermes and Mercury) representing science, language and knowledge; the intellect. Quetzalcoatl, the feathered serpent from Mexico, from India; the Nagas Rahu and Ketu, the head and tail of the dragon, north and south nodes of the moon in Vedic astrology, and representing balance and transformation. From Buddhism Ekajati, representing protection and empowerment. Lucifer for enlightenment, pride and rebellion. These are a few of my favourite things...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12104 Members
73 Forums
43869 Topics
405514 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements