Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#68950 - 12/18/04 02:44 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Old_Pig]
zaxaf Offline
CoS Member

Burn all of his old evil music CD's, what a waste, if you knew about that before hand you could have told him give them to me and i will sort thru and keep all the "good" DEVIL music for myself and sell the rest at the used record shop

#68951 - 12/18/04 03:00 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Felstorm]
Noel Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Amerika
I still maintain that it causes shit-storms at work if one goes around making religious jokes that are bound to cause a negative reaction from co-workers. There is a time and a place for religious jokes--call it situational joke-making. Maybe my comment was mistaken for an endorsement of the Golden Rule.

My comment was actually aimed at applying the Eleven Rules of the Earth to the workplace--specifically, I, III and VIII.

I agree about ignoring Christians--that's why I said, "Why talk to people who are already dead?"

I don't agree that Christianity will go away if I ignore it, however. Even if Christianity does get defeated through passive measures another religion will replace it, like Islam or Judaism. The majority of the earth's population needs some sort of spiritual pipe dream--the labels seem irrelevant.

Anyway, it is one's own choice whether they want to create enemies at work or allies.

#68952 - 12/19/04 04:52 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Noel]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
Quote:

I still maintain that it causes shit-storms at work if one goes around making religious jokes that are bound to cause a negative reaction from co-workers. There is a time and a place for religious jokes--call it situational joke-making. Maybe my comment was mistaken for an endorsement of the Golden Rule.

I fail to see how "He who has the gold makes the rules." has anything to do with this. This IS the Golden Rule after all.

Religion is going to come up at work. It's like sex. The topic is always turning up because it's actually stimulating to talk about, unlike the news or weather. It provides a medium for them to prop up their limp ego's, posture and genuflect. It's at this point the Electric Fart Machine comes in handily to break it up.

*Fart*

Oh my, was that _me_ ?? Or was it you?

Quote:

I agree about ignoring Christians--that's why I said, "Why talk to people who are already dead?"

Ignoring them is the most irritating and enjoyable experience for them. So let 'em have it.

Quote:

I don't agree that Christianity will go away if I ignore it, however. Even if Christianity does get defeated through passive measures another religion will replace it, like Islam or Judaism. The majority of the earth's population needs some sort of spiritual pipe dream--the labels seem irrelevant.

Well of course it won't go away if only an individual ignores it. You have to get other people to ignore it too. This is where the Herd-mentality comes in very useful. Get enough people to ignore an idea for long enough and it will die.

All Hail the Gods of Cable, Satellite, and DVD! The lowly cathode ray tube will be the downfall of Christ and his minions.

Quote:

Anyway, it is one's own choice whether they want to create enemies at work or allies.

Very good point.

However, no hero is without a villian. It's the villian that makes the Hero. The more vile the Villian, the more virtue the Hero is able to assign to himself by fighting said despicable villian.

So how does one humiliate the Crusading Hero? By utilising the "Good-guy Badge" just long enough to turn your co-workers against the proverbial Buy-Bull thumping "Paladin". He may cite free speach, but if he's the insistent type, one brushing him off will only paint him further as a mindless retard in the minds of others. They'll assign you a "Good-guy Badge" just long enough to put him in his rightful place. And hopefully you can go back to your insularised "safe-zone", free of such distracting idiots.

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#68953 - 12/19/04 01:04 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Felstorm]
Noel Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Amerika
I guess the moral of the story is to become self-employed or otherwise escape the mundanity of actually going to a workplace full of herd-fucker zealots.

That's what my father did at least.

#68954 - 12/19/04 05:28 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Noel]
CoffinRust Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Alabama
Quote:

I guess the moral of the story is to become self-employed or otherwise escape the mundanity of actually going to a workplace full of herd-fucker zealots.

That's what I've done, and it works wonderfully.

CoffinRust.com | On Facebook | On Undercroft | The Compleat Witch Illustrated Bibliography

The Church of Satan Baphomet Altarpiece
The ONLY Altarpiece endorsed by the Church of Satan, using the Trademarked CoS Sigil of Baphomet.
A percentage from each piece sold is proudly paid directly to the organization for this privilege.
Do not accept imitations!

#68955 - 12/19/04 06:10 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
There is another simple way. When asked "Why don't you believe in God?" you could answer:

"I don't need a reason. I just don’t"

Another answer I some times give is "I just don't need to" and elaborate: "A man with a broken leg would need a cane to walk. But once his leg heals, he won't need the cane anymore. Actually, carrying the cane would make him slower. The same happens with me and believing in God, I just don't have any need for it"

Of course, those are answers I use some times when I know they will work in the situation and the context. They may not work on everyone.

Most fanatical Christians would keep insisting and annoying you. The best option is probably just turn your back and ignore them.

In some case it’s even better to dismiss them with a polite but firm answer. If they keep nagging, show a stoic resignation and try not to lose your nerve. Express your intention not to discuss the topic... then let the Christian explode with "holy wrath". To everyone around, it would be clear you are acting in a civilized way, while he/she is the one harassing you. In most workplace situations, this will be sufficient to induce a disciplinary action on the offending party.

#68956 - 12/19/04 07:43 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
BlueMoon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
I would ask her, if she´s a fucking fortuneteller or a clairvoyant, because she´s reasoning just by telling a joke, that you don´t believe in god!

Oh my...
If I would tell jokes about senior citizens, is it inevitably ageism??
THAT´s against all reasons.
I would tell her to turn her mind on, before talking.
She should mind her own business and stop bothering other people.

How can a person due to a joke assume that someone don´t believe in what ever or is for/against what ever??
Now that´s real BULLSHIT.
Maybe she would notice then, that she right away made a fool of herself.

Ok, in the end she´s right, but who cares? It was just a coincidence. Not more, not less.

Find me on MySpace...

[color:"silver"]Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
~ Harvey Fierstein[/color]

#68957 - 12/19/04 10:34 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: C_D_McKinna]
Member_7244 Offline

Quote:

This person was talking about God, and all the wonderful things God had done in their life, hoping that I would in turn voluntarily tell them about my religious beliefs. My response was to stare blankly and say nothing. People can't stand to be ignored, and when you ignore them they usually either become more persistent or go bother somebody else.

This is usually how I resolve the issue. Ignore them. When they come to your door, just stare up in the sky, or watch your cat walk around. Practically everything is more interesting than bible banger zealots.

However, could it be that sometimes, just MAYBE, sometimes some one can be expressing their view of God and the wonderful things that God has helped them accomplish in a non Christian meaning? As in, maybe they view god as a force in nature, or view god as something in themselves? Westerners will usually never understand the true meaning of that 'void' they fill with god as being the literal meaning to them being gods the whole time, but they can substitute the name and still understand at least on a minimal level that the existence of that power does exist. Called God or not.

Anyone follow me? Or am I just on a limb here, dangerously close to sounding like I'm a Christian or defending a zealot?

(I spell checked your words, no offense taken I hope.)

Edited by MyRealName (12/19/04 11:47 PM)

#68958 - 12/20/04 12:48 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Noel]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>I guess the moral of the story is to become self-employed
>>or otherwise escape the mundanity of actually going to a
>>workplace full of herd-fucker zealots.

I'm not going to change my career to a personally undesired self-employment situation just because I see a couple of crosses and Hindu god statues in the personal areas of some co-workers. They never bring up religion with me, and I never start any sort of debates or attacks on their religion. Hell, with the line of work I do, I never have to talk to a non-employee, and I barely even have to talk to my co-workers.

Actually, I suppose there is one recent sign of religion in my work place: the fact that I get two paid holiday days off this week in light of Xmas and Xmas Eve. Fine with me! It's not like I can't schedule some of my vacation days around my birthday, Halloween and Walpurgisnacht.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#68959 - 12/20/04 08:49 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Rattlesnake Offline

Loc: Yurop
My conversation today morning. An evangelist approached me and said Merry Christmas.

Me - "Oh, thank you. You know, it is a good thing that Jesus was born or we would not have a 2 week holiday now."

She - "That's not the meaning of Christmas!!"

Me - "What is it then?"

She - "The fact that Jesus came and saved us all!"

Me - "Who is Jesus?"

She - "What? He is the son of God and saves us all!"

Me- "And we are celebrating his birthday?"

She - "Yes, he was born in Bethlehem under a star and three Magi brought him presents."

At this point she gave me what i needed.

Me - "Tell me, is not witchcraft supposed to be a devil's work and witches should be burned?"

She - "You shall not spare a sorceress to live!"

Me - "So why the hell did the Magi bothered to give gifts to Jesus in the first place? I mean, since you burn witches, doesn't that mean that Jesus received the devil's blessings?"

She - "Uhh... Ummh.... What... Eeeeh...."

Me - "By the way, you are really pretty, care to give me your phone number so we can have sex like crazy?"

She - "GO AWAY YOU BASTARD!!"

Me - "Watch it, anger is one of the 7 deadly sins."

She - "GO AWAY!!!! GO AWAY NOW!!!!!!!"

Boy that was fun. Xtians are such clowns!

#68960 - 12/20/04 09:05 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: zaxaf]
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lost.
Quote:

Xians get to shoove there Bibles and there dead religion down our throats, but do we dare shoove Satanism and The Satanic Bible down there throats..OH NO boy we would all be in deep shit then!

Would you want to? Why are you complaining about what other people get to do when you wouldn't want to do it anyway? At least...

#68961 - 12/20/04 09:16 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Noel]
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lost.
Or maybe not to lower yourself and become some office worker jerkoff who cares little for how he presents himself in public. There is a big difference between being diabolical and being an asshole, and stepping all over someone's beliefs is definitely leaning towards the latter. If someone asks if you believe in God, don't go out shouting "NO! Fuck God! He stole my daddy's job down at the mill! I hate God!" because that just makes you look like an angry jackass. Plus you'll have no friends, except maybe more angry jackasses.

#68962 - 12/20/04 11:30 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Rattlesnake]
Perndog Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA
She thought the Magi were wizards?

#68963 - 12/20/04 12:41 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Perndog]
Rattlesnake Offline

Loc: Yurop
Yes, though the Magi were a cast of priests in ancient Iran, if I am not mistaken, and I think they were astrologers not wizzards. I just used some sort of unexistent relation with the word magic to confuse her.

#68964 - 12/20/04 02:28 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
In this situation I like to play "the better Christian."

For instance when someone at work once asked me if I was a Satanist after looking at some of my artwork I brought to show a friend, my reply went something like this:

" A lot of people think I don't believe in God but that's simply not true. I DO believe in God, I just don't wear him on my sleeve as some kind of a badge in order to look good. To me God is about love and I think a lot of people spend more time pointing their accusing finger at other people when they should be taking a better look at themselves."

They had nothing more to say.

Edited by johnharperjr (12/20/04 02:29 PM)

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
11895 Members
73 Forums
43650 Topics
404220 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements