Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#68965 - 12/20/04 02:43 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Quija Offline

Loc: Germany
Aaarrrgh, I can't believe you people!!! Is god still such a big matter with you? It isn't here, maybe never has been...In Germany we don't talk about god or satan in elevators, we don't talk at all. If there's something to be discussed, we just think about it, and give each other a nod, or sometimes no nod...

#68966 - 12/20/04 03:45 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Quija]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:

Aaarrrgh, I can't believe you people!!! Is god still such a big matter with you? It isn't here, maybe never has been...In Germany we don't talk about god or satan in elevators, we don't talk at all. If there's something to be discussed, we just think about it, and give each other a nod, or sometimes no nod...

In the state of Georgia the subject DOES come up. It is sometimes unavoidable.

#68967 - 12/20/04 04:36 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Quija]
BlueMoon Offline
CoS Member

First of all, who is "WE in Germany"?
Iīm from Germany, too and I wonder where the hell are you living!

Where Iīm working we talk alot. Thatīs necessary to keep being informed.
Maybe some things can be advised by a memo, but most things need to be communicated face to face.

I guess, your walls at work are full of little notes?
Well, you donīt have much to talk about, but therefore you must be a good writer (at least in German).
But the best thing is : You donīt need wallpapers.

Besides that, in the initial post he wrote, that he told a JOKE about jesus to a co-worker at the elevator.
So he did not discuss god in any way or talked about him, he just told a J O K E!

And if you are refering to all the posts here :
Thatīs conversation!

Find me on MySpace...

[color:"silver"]Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
~ Harvey Fierstein[/color]

#68968 - 12/20/04 06:09 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Rattlesnake]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Quote:

My conversation today morning. An evangelist approached me and said Merry Christmas.

Me - "Oh, thank you. You know, it is a good thing that Jesus was born or we would not have a 2 week holiday now."

She - "That's not the meaning of Christmas!!"

Me - "What is it then?"

She - "The fact that Jesus came and saved us all!"

Me - "Who is Jesus?"

She - "What? He is the son of God and saves us all!"

Me- "And we are celebrating his birthday?"

She - "Yes, he was born in Bethlehem under a star and three Magi brought him presents."

At this point she gave me what i needed.

Me - "Tell me, is not witchcraft supposed to be a devil's work and witches should be burned?"

She - "You shall not spare a sorceress to live!"

Me - "So why the hell did the Magi bothered to give gifts to Jesus in the first place? I mean, since you burn witches, doesn't that mean that Jesus received the devil's blessings?"

She - "Uhh... Ummh.... What... Eeeeh...."

Me - "By the way, you are really pretty, care to give me your phone number so we can have sex like crazy?"

She - "GO AWAY YOU BASTARD!!"

Me - "Watch it, anger is one of the 7 deadly sins."

She - "GO AWAY!!!! GO AWAY NOW!!!!!!!"

Boy that was fun. Xtians are such clowns!

Thats a great idea! Jesus got gifts from pagans! The Resident Jesus Freak at my job talks about Astrology being Devil's thing. I'll mention him the Magi to see how he reacts. They were following a star or something... right?

#68969 - 12/20/04 06:53 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Old_Pig]
Mars Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Mid-Atlantic USA
“Me - "By the way, you are really pretty, care to give me your phone number so we can have sex like crazy?"

Pig, you are such a ladies man!

Edited by Mars (12/20/04 06:55 PM)

Awaken the Dragon Within!

#68970 - 12/21/04 12:37 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: BlueMoon]
Quija Offline

I hear you!

#68971 - 12/21/04 02:36 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Old_Pig]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
Quote:

Thats a great idea! Jesus got gifts from pagans! The Resident Jesus Freak at my job talks about Astrology being Devil's thing. I'll mention him the Magi to see how he reacts. They were following a star or something... right?

I think one could refer to this as "pulling the rug from under.".

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#68972 - 12/21/04 03:25 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Noel]
Grima Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Well I'm a freelance artist so I don't have to deal with people at work but I've had to deal with teachers while I was still in art school.
You would think that such a school would give a bit more freedom then a normal school but I was constantly bothered because of my views.
But I didn't care and why would I? Why waste my time on people who can only point their finger at me and sometimes even try and 'save' me? I can think of other ways to spent my energy than on close-minded people who will never care.
I must state however that I never go out and tell people that I'm a Satanist. I feel no need to go around and scream to everybody about my philosophy, I would be just as bad as any jehovah's witness, would I not?

#68973 - 12/22/04 03:40 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Bogey_Man]
Noel Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Amerika
I agree one hundred percent, Sinistra. It is boorish to make religious jokes at work and then wonder why others are offended.

#68974 - 12/22/04 06:04 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Hmm, that's a rough one. I practically cringed reading it, since I hate having to get into confrontations with people.

First, I at least *try* to sniff out everyone's religious beliefs before I tell or make certain jokes. But, that's not always possible, obviously. In any case, an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.

When that does happen, I may just pretend to be a silly, oblivious joker-nerd who just likes to joke about anything. If people get the impression that I'm just a goof or worse, boorish, they may still be mad with me, but they won't be particularly suspicious about me. I may try to joke about something else that the person finds funny, to attempt to get them back on my side.

Or, if I think I won't get away with that tactic, I may tell the person who's on my case that I was just pandering to the group or peer pressure, because so-and-so likes those jokes and I feel I have to entertain him/her. I then apologize and pander to that person's worldview a little. It's flagrantly spineless, but in the right situations, it's good for avoiding a conflict.

Obviously, this is a non-confrontational approach, and that's what you'll usually get from me. I'm not the type to give someone the finger and proudly declare, "Hell yeah, I told that joke, because I'm a Satanist, so there!" You have to find out what's your style, and what kind of consequences you're willing to handle in the end.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#68975 - 12/22/04 06:14 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Felstorm]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Excellent point, Felstorm. I have often heard from Christians that "the fallen world hates righteousness," so when other people bash, insult, criticize, or mock them or their religion, they assume it is because they are right and righteous, and the evildoers of the world are just jealous and resentful. Doesn't matter if they are really obnoxious or if their behavior truly warrants criticism--if the tomatoes are flying, it means they must be on the RIGHT track.

I have also heard it said that if you are tempted often by Satan, it means he considers you a threat, so you must be a Real Christian (tm). On the same side of the coin, if you suffer often, it means Yhwh is sharpening and perfecting you to be his special bitch, and it means he cares.

If that ain't presumptuousness and masochism, I don't know what is.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#68976 - 12/25/04 11:24 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
I like to set boundaries right away in the work place as well as in many areas of my life. Boundaries such as, 1.) Do not try to walk on me or suffer the consequences. 2.) I don't kiss ass for anyone (unless it will give me a HUGH pay off). 3.) I never get involved in petty office discussions; such as religion, what my sex life is like, or what I do on a Full Moon.

Having set the boundaries I am the type to be a bit brooding, I don't dress like everyone else, and no one at my office knows just what to make of me, which is the way I like it. They tend to give me a wide berth, all the while casting furtive glances my way when they think I am not looking.

Set the boundaries, then keep them guessing. Works for me.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#68977 - 12/26/04 02:41 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: J. Hagalaz]
Thaine_Draagen Offline

Nothing better and more satisfying than smacking a bible thumper in the face with their own crap. Nice one.

#68978 - 12/26/04 03:13 PM Still laughing [Re: Rattlesnake]
tellsammy Offline

Loc: Finland
thanks! *laughs*

#68979 - 12/26/04 03:35 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Malin_Wolf Offline
CoS Member

Loc: A sleepy little hollow in Flor...
This is how I would of handled it (after plenty of trial and error).

"Hey"-Young woman
"Hello."- Me
"I wanted to talk to you"-YW
"About what?"-Me
"Yeah, I heard you talking to Michael by the elevator this morning"-YW
"Could you please refresh my memory on the subject?"-Me
"Why did you make that joke about jesus, the one with the cross? Are you an athiest?"-YW
*Laughs* "I'm sorry, did I offend you?"-Me
"You don't beleive in God do you?"-YW
" On the contrary. I do believe in god, but not in the same sense as you may."-Me

Now you could add to that with, "I find the subject fascinating and I would consider it a pleasure to talk about it over some lunch. How about it?"

Or...she might come back with, "And in what sense is that?"
Be evasive and alluring...you might get a date of it.

Logic over emotional reaction.

Baiting the conversation will ultimately change the outcome in your favor. Becoming emotional about this confrontation is your own fault and you deserve to angry at no one but yourself for not being able to handle the situation. You initiated by your comments. You buckled when she called your bluff. She then led you and you followed.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12282 Members
73 Forums
43881 Topics
404446 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements