Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#68995 - 01/05/05 04:47 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Bogey_Man]
Ceallach Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Unless you work in an environment where your boss may actually stick up for you (which happened all of once to me; a customer found out I was one of those evil devil worshipping Witches and my boss said if he felt that strongly; don't shop there), bringing your religion into the workplace is never a good idea. Not only do you open yourself up to discrimination (and in most areas, that can be covered with a blanket "oh I felt he wasn't performing up to par"), and frankly; they're not worth the time. if they choose to be unenlightened, brainwashed and a host of other names for it; let them be. They're the ones stuck living their life as a sheep
We, however, are at the top of the food chain, and don't need to remind anyone of it. our prescence alone, does that.

#68996 - 01/06/05 01:42 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
G X B Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Florida
Quote:

How did you deal with this?

Well to be honest, I didn't deal with it. Divulging your religion or political position to anyone can, and most often does, put a damper on your ability to utilize Lesser Magic for certain. Even if you were of the same religion or party member as someone you work with, it would probably still be best to keep silent.

Replace "In God We Trust" with "Responsibility to the Responsible."

"Knowledge is long, and life is short, and he who does not know, does not live." -Baltasar Gracian, The Art of Worldly Wisdom

MySpace | The Third Side Conservative | Undercroft

#68997 - 01/06/05 06:15 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Ceallach]
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lost.
Quote:

Unless you work in an environment where your boss may actually stick up for you (which happened all of once to me; a customer found out I was one of those evil devil worshipping Witches and my boss said if he felt that strongly; don't shop there)

How many times will an employer stick up for you and tell potential cash paying customers to fuck off before he realizes he's running away business? That's not an effective manager in my opinion.

We, however, are also a minority that can be seen as dangerous. When people feel threatened, these same people you call SHEEP will turn to very effective fighters. How ELITE are you going to be when you can't have a job without pissing off way too many people by hanging on to that precious baphomet?

Besides, the original post was about a jackass who went out and put himself in harms way by telling a stupid joke when he should have known there could have been people to offend. Pissing people off that way is not being elite or better, it is being a jackass.

Decide what is better.

#68998 - 01/06/05 06:37 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Bogey_Man]
Ceallach Offline

Quote:

How many times will an employer stick up for you and tell potential cash paying customers to fuck off before he realizes he's running away business? That's not an effective manager in my opinion.

Actually, it's only happened once, and I'd been working there for a number of years; My boss chose to have one customer go away with his biblethumping rather than shove it into her face (and mine since he would give me grief everytime I worked). This was due to my boss knowing that no matter my beliefs, I am a trustworthy, hard worker, who generally, everyone likes; there's just a few who're too ignorant to deal
I too agree that the originating conversation ought never have occurred; which is why, despite me perusing these forums at my workplace; noone asks, we're a gaming company, an incredibly diverse group. I don't worry about being myself in my normally quiet manner here, as people know me as a person first; religion doesn't enter into it.

#68999 - 01/06/05 09:18 PM Re: How did you deal with this? Pragmatism! [Re: Ceallach]
Mars Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Mid-Atlantic USA
I agree that itís one thing to walk into work wearing a big Baphomet and carrying a SB. On the other hand, just being a Satanist by oneís very nature brings attention that you are a unique person. It all comes down to pragmatism folks.

Awaken the Dragon Within!

#69000 - 01/07/05 07:23 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
simasud666 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New York, USA
Religion and Politics is something you never discuss not even in joking unless you are in a large group of like-minded people.

I have found that you can lose friends this way.

If in the work place, you can isolate yourself from others, which is not a good thing, and it can cause some to be fired unless you have others who agree with your values.

In todayís world, what you say can and will get you into trouble with some for they are just looking for a good fight. A Co-worker of my husbands is now in court because he told one of the secretaries in passing that she looked good. She misconstrued his comment and sued him for sexual harassment.

So when it comes to your job always play their game so that you keep yourself safe for your survival is also your livelihood and sometimes we just have to put everything else aside to protect that.

If you are in a group of like-minded people (and you will know this) make sure you say things so only they can hear. If not you will run into this problem again.

If you get to a point in your life like I have you will find that if you put your best foot forward and show yourself in a good way where people are drawn to you because they like you for who you are, what you represent (even if they donít know what your religious values are), and find you fun to be with then except it. This is a form of Lesser Magic.

For a long time I kept my Baphomet hidden under my clothing but I always wear it 24/7 since the mid 70s. Once I establish my self by being who I am, I bring it out slowly. Some days showing it while others hiding it. Then I bring it out and wear it in the open all the time. I have been told that the reason everyone likes me is because I am up beat, happy, fun loving, kind to those who deserve it, and respectful. Last summer I was talking to a friend at a bar on the smoking porch when I was attacked by a woman who is a born again Christian. She blocked my way from leaving the porch and kept ranting her Christianity at me. Since the door of the bar was open everyone inside heard her. The entire bar ended up on the porch including the bartender who asked her to leave the bar. These were Atheists, Christians, and one Jew. They told her that I was always welcome there and they asked her to leave and not return. The rest of the day, I drank free, danced and had a great time. Those that were left there all knew that I was a Satanist and many of them have asked me questions about Satanism and have accepted my answers on it.

Therefore, you see I played the game long enough to establish my self and I came out of the closet so to speak. Those that are interested will ask questions or as some have asked to borrow my books so that they can have a better understanding of what I believe in. You will find that those who do know you feel privileged to be in your presents. Those who do not know you avoid conflict with and let them come to you. They always do because the woman who attacked me was at the privet New Years party I was at this year, came up, and apologized to me. She is now trying to be my friend even though I will not let her into my circle of friends and she realized that at the party we were at. She stood off with her husband in a corner while the rest of us were having a great time.

#69001 - 01/07/05 08:16 AM Re: How did you deal with this? Pragmatism! [Re: Mars]
Ceallach Offline

Quote:

I agree that itís one thing to walk into work wearing a big Baphomet and carrying a SB. On the other hand, just being a Satanist by oneís very nature brings attention that you are a unique person. It all comes down to pragmatism folks.

I have to agree wholeheartedly; my father defines it as an "aura" that surrounds a person. I used to think it was the long black coat I often wear, or the flaming red hair, but he said it's there regardless what I'm wearing or whathaveyou, it's not so much a foreboding aura, so much as an air of confidence; we KNOW who we are, we have no pretenses, no facades, etc. That, I think, draws people to us whether they realize it or not.
And every Satanist I've ever met in person, I knew there was SOMETHING about them, even before I saw the Baphomet, or whathaveyou. It was their aura

#69002 - 01/07/05 02:41 PM Re: How did you deal with this? Pragmatism! [Re: Ceallach]
AnxiousBeing Offline

I too have experienced this "aura" that you speak of. I was walking down the street on a summer afternoon and a woman stepped out of her car and commented that there was just something about me that seemed to glow. I never met this woman so I thanked her and smiled. It's something of magnetic energy perhaps. As if we are a blackhole and absorb the world in us.
"The Church of Satan is not "homophobic." "The Church of Satan is not a NAZI organization." "The Church of Satan is neither racist nor sexist." "The Church of Satan has not in any way strayed from the philosophy created by Anton LaVey." Magus Gilmore. A Map for the Misdirected.

#69003 - 01/07/05 03:37 PM Re: How did you deal with this? Pragmatism! [Re: AnxiousBeing]
Ceallach Offline

Quote:

I too have experienced this "aura" that you speak of. I was walking down the street on a summer afternoon and a woman stepped out of her car and commented that there was just something about me that seemed to glow. I never met this woman so I thanked her and smiled. It's something of magnetic energy perhaps. As if we are a blackhole and absorb the world in us.

Perhaps it is because we, unlike most people, do not feel the need to hide who we truly are. We have embraced that which most people live in "fear" of; either they "fear" not fitting in with common society (and how much better would society be if everyone was a Satanist??), or going against the brainwashing that has made them into timid, god-fearing individuals.
We are confident in who we are, and that definately shows, I daresay most, if not all Satanists have taht "aura" about them; the way you view yourself has a lot to do with how you carry yourself.

#69004 - 01/11/05 02:58 PM Re: How did you deal with this? Pragmatism! [Re: Ceallach]
AnxiousBeing Offline

Quote:

We are confident in who we are, and that definately shows, I daresay most, if not all Satanists have taht "aura" about them; the way you view yourself has a lot to do with how you carry yourself.

I agree. This is called Lesser Magic. Paul Ekman, a reasercher with 32 years of experience and several other Universities have conducted experiments that has shown that when a subject manipulates their facial muscles more often than not shows many or all of the psychological correlates such as, increased finger temperature, increased heart rate, etc of the emotions associated with those facial expressions. EEG measures have even proven that manipulation of specific facial muscles are interconnected to the brain activity that controls emotions. One example of this is the same facial muscles that you use to make an expression of happiness results in exercising the same left frontal activity known to correspond with spontaneous joy. Have you ever felt tired but when becomming active found your body reproducing energy, this is also that same result.

We alter the perception of others by altering our body language first.
"The Church of Satan is not "homophobic." "The Church of Satan is not a NAZI organization." "The Church of Satan is neither racist nor sexist." "The Church of Satan has not in any way strayed from the philosophy created by Anton LaVey." Magus Gilmore. A Map for the Misdirected.

#69005 - 01/12/05 12:05 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Bogey_Man]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
Quote:

Try saying that when you get fired for offending one too many people on the job. You offend people, they won't like you. If people don't like you, you make yourself vulnerable for attack.

I have always understood what I'm up against. Therefore, I don't wear the baphomet out all the time; I keep it tucked especially on very busy days where I know that the average customer is going to be an impatient and nasty bastard.

On the other hand, I don't flaunt and constantly say that I'm a Satanist and I'm generally on my best behavior. And other than the few people that don't like it, a lot of the people that ask me about it ask me "are you a black metal person?" and I wind up engaging in a converstation about the black metal scene and our favorite bands.

There are a few employees and coworkers there that do NOT like me at all. But then again, those are the same people that haven't liked me long before I began wearing my medallion out on the job. At least I am on good terms with 90% of the store managers, and I'm on excellent terms with the head manager of my particular department.

The bottom line is, if a manager gives me a verbal warning and tells me to keep the baphomet concealed I would consider myself lucky for not getting shafted, and I would be a complete idiot to go against the grain in that situation. After all, I need to make money just like everyone else.

#69006 - 01/12/05 01:40 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Solomon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cincinnati
Be calm, collected, and know what you are saying. This is usually the best defense in this situation. Also, never forget where you are. If you sat down with the lady and went into details about Satanism, would it be worth the effort. I doubt it.

Hell, realize very few people even know what a baphomet is. Would it do any good to go into detail of Amon, the Preisthood of Mendes dating back to ancient Egypt, or the Phi Ratio inherent in the pentagram? How about the word "Leviathan" in Hebrew counter-clockwise around the star, and its origins? Again, probably not.

The title "satanist" draws upon fear when seen through profane eyes. Only those who took time to educate themselves on the subject truly know a "Satanist"

So make sure your actions speak louder than anything you do. You will always run into idiots, the world is bursting at the seams with them. Those who know of my affiliation found out because I let them, and only after they posed little to no threat to me financially, professionally, or personally.

Choose your battles wisely, the fight may not always be worth the outcome.

#69007 - 01/12/05 12:13 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
YoungSoulRebel Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Hey, maybe I'm out of place for mentioning this, and for all I know, it was already mentioned by somebody else, but seriously now, if you found that discourse irritating enough to mention that you found it irritating here, what kept you from requesting that this woman leave your office immediately after you told her that it was none of her business? What compelled you to make it continue?

Cos, see, unless I think it could possibly go somewhere productive (which, if your transcript is even very close to accurate, this woman was obviously not going to let it go anywhere productive) I usually just say "Look dude, this is none of your business and unless you actually have something productive or at least amusing to contribute to my day, I'd like you to leave [my office]."

As you said, she doesn't work directly with you -- there was no reason to even keep things any more than civil.

"Usually when you ask somebody in college why they are there, they'll tell you it's to get an education. The truth of it is, they are there to get the degree so that they can get ahead in the rat race. Too many college radicals are two-timing punks."
- Abbie Hoffman

"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I'm happy. I can't figure it out. What am I doing right?"
- Charles M Schulz

ďOne of the great things about young people is that they do question, that they do care deeply about justice, and they they have open minds.Ē
- Zack de la Rocha

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43979 Topics
406036 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements