Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#68919 - 12/16/04 10:57 PM How did you deal with this?
PanzerWolf Offline

Loc: South, AL
This is conversation with a young woman I met in my new field office yesterday evening.

"Hey"-Young woman
"Hey"- Me
"I wanted to talk to you"-YW
"Oh, yeah"-Me
"Yeah, I heard you talking to Michael by the elevator this morning"-YW
"So?"-Me
"Why did you make that joke about jesus, the one with the cross? Are you an athiest?"-YW
*Laughs* "Were you insulted?"-Me
"You don't beleive in God do you?"-YW
" I geuss it would be a dead giveaway if I told you to mind you own buisness."-Me
"Why don't you beleive in God?"

An it went on for about eight more minutes untill I told her to leave my office. It was so unbeleiveably annoying I nearly cursed her out. Someone who I did'nt even work with, someone who was in a totally different department. Thought it would be okay to badger me about my beleifs because we had a mutual freind.

Care to relate some sences like this an how you delt with it?
Christ Chex, start your day off the holy way. My accomplishments: ROTC, Cadet of the month (November), Author of "A Final Plea" (Soon to be published), 04 class LET II advancement, South, Alabama battle of the bands 3rd place.

#68920 - 12/16/04 11:16 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
C_D_McKinna Offline
CoS Member

Loc: San Diego, CA
I actually dealt with this today (also with a co-worker), but the person I dealt with was not quite so upfront. This person was talking about God, and all the wonderful things God had done in thier life, hoping that I would in turn volontarily tell them about my religious beleifs. My response was to stare blankly and say nothing. People can't stand to be ignored, and when you ignore them they usually either become more persistant or go bother somebody else.

Thankfully, this person decided to go bother somebody else. If that were not the case, I would simply say that I don't think it is ethical to discuss religion in the workplace, and that if they continued to do so, I would take it up with management.

Don't get mad. It's a waste of energy. Besides, the world is full of dupes. If you got mad about all of them you will be walking around angry all the time. If you laugh at them openly in the workplace, your job is at risk. Play by the rules if your going to play. But ussually it is best to not play at all if possible.

"Well done is better than well said"

- Benjamin Franklin

#68921 - 12/16/04 11:57 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: C_D_McKinna]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Amen!

#68922 - 12/17/04 12:07 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I have this Jesus freak coworker who preaches the entire eight hours. I have never seen anyone so completely obsessed with his religion. Every single sentence that comes out of his mouth have to include "praise the lord" or "halleluiah" somehow, even if its not related to what he is saying.

He haven't have the nerve to talk to me, but he has made comments about "the Devils music" to other workers (I guess he has seen me arrive to the parking lot with Marylyn Manson or Iron Maiden playing on my car stereo)

But when the moment comes that he tries to talk to me about his wonderful savior, I have the answer already prepared:

"I come here to work not to discuss religion"

#68923 - 12/17/04 12:31 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Old_Pig]
LeftHandJive Offline

My question regarding this "Jesus Freak" at your workplace is this:

How does he know what you're listening to is Manson or Maiden unless he listens to it himself?

Or like most of the younger herd, he was "turned" (Blade reference) and wasn't a "pureblood" (another Blade reference) and thus burned, threw away, or sold all of his collection and gave it to the church.

I say crank it up and make their ears bleed.

Just my 5 cents...(it would be 2 but inflation..blah, blah, blah)

#68924 - 12/17/04 12:55 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
fatebender Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Sin City

On some occassions, dealing with Christian whackos in close quarters is absolutely unavoidable. In those cases I suggest mind games, using:

The Roman Ritual

Fire, darkness, and chains characterize damnation, use them to your advantage. Never use a bible to argue against a Christian. While you may feel that you possess knowledge of the bible sufficient to smash their religion to ruin, you can easily lose the debate for lack of appropriate quotation. They will seek to involve you in an endleess discussion during which any point you make appears "out of context," and any contradiction or failure on their part has its explanation hidden within the rest of the book.

In his Epistle to the Ephesians, Paul describes the "armor of God" as the Christian defense against the principalities of darkness, and the "Word" (the Bible) complements this armor as a sword. Instead of engaging the Christian in a duel of doctrines, use fiery darts - a multitude of concise points made from a safe distance - to weaken their overall resolve. The nearer you come to discussing Christianity, the nearer the Christian comes to victory; but if you can keep him occupied with other cogent issues, he may even lose his own religion.

If they have the Girdle of Truth, replace it with Chains of Shame!

Even the Christians admit that every man cannot help, but sin. This admission works well to you advantage if only you can discover specific sins made by the subject of your assault. If he or she admits to sin freely, know that it does not trouble his conscience, making poor sport. Instead of attempting to expose crimes and bring them to the table for discussion, allow the Christian to retain hidden failures, in order to make him feel weak and without grace. Bring issues to his mind in such a way that he need not discuss them openly, but merely reminds him of the moral frailty which stings his soul. In time the Christian may grow to depend so heavily on "truths" that he dwells on insignificant facts which make him feel ashamed. Offer him a sense of spiritual imperfection which his own mortality will never allow him to overcome. If the burden of his guilt grows too much to bear, he may abandon his Girdle of Truth for a fantasy.

If they display a Breastplate of Righteousness, you can recognise them easily, and put them in a Prison of Confusion!

You will often find a righteous man offering to "stand up for something," and thereby inflate the importance of issues that make his position look appealing. He may not realize that his insistence on a particular stance makes him a target for the opposition. It should pose no great trouble to find a situation in which his convictions prevent effective action, and to place him squarely therein. He will feel dissonance between conscience and necessity, forcing him to accept either an immoral action or the dire burdens of morality.

If they wear Shoes of Readiness, place Traps of Temptation along their path!

Learn to anticipate the course of the Christian crusade, replace their objectives with fruitless persuits, and make any deviation therefrom fraught with difficulty. Convince them to take the simplest route to success if they proceed with caution, and if they act with zealous abandon bring every possible interference to their attention. Also present ways that they can benefit personally from their objectives, as though it makes their cause all the more charitable.

If they carry a Shield of Faith, give them the Blindfold of Obscurity!

Unless a person knows everything, some of his belief must rest upon incomplete foundations. The Christian will admit these gaping holes in his position, justifying them with faith. While they may concentrate on religious issues of faith, you may bring to their attention many other instances of intellectual insecurity, leading to a general feeling of hopeless ignorance. If you persist, they will discover that they mysteries of their faith have no greater importance than the mystery of their mortal existence.

If they have the Helm of Salvation, listen to them witness from an Armchair of Entertainment!

It will do you no harm to listen to the story of their conversion, if you have the time to hear it. If circumstances permit, request that they "witness" to you regarding the events leading to their salvation. Let the Christian see that you receive their tale with an eager smile, but that you place no great importance on the episode. These stories almost always involve the Christian sinking to the lowest form of depravity imaginable, and then suddenly discovering a new and beautiful world of love and glory. If they see that the story ellicits excitement from you rather than scorn, they may embellish the events and thereby commit errors of vanity, or even speak utter falsehoods, especially if it involves visions and miracles. If the Christian merely believes out of hand, and has no tale of conversion, your dissapointment will encourage a sense of spiritual deficiency. If you can relate tales of other conversions to which you have lent an ear, the Christian may respond with hostility toward these colorful, unkown people, and seek thereafter for his own "mystical experience."

Lions of Ridicule and Fiery Darts of Failure defeat the Sword of Spirit which they call the "Word of God!"

Make no hesitation to engage a Christian on any religious issue. Know that they desire this engagement as a sacred duty to rid the world of wickedness. As the lion with its prey, play along as they encite you to repentence in prayer, and react with grave temerity to any scriptural rebuke. If you do this with obvious insincerity, any who observe you will bestow upon the Christian the gift of laughter. The campaign will appear farsical at best. Your display of humor will encourage other to take the Christian less seriously. The Christian may or may not notice the public mockery.

#68925 - 12/17/04 01:35 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: LeftHandJive]
Old_Pig Offline

Exactly. He says he was "under the Devil's influence" until he was "born again". And yes, I have heard him mention he burned all his old "evil" music CDs.

#68926 - 12/17/04 09:01 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: fatebender]
Leo_V Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cleveland
Very thorough! I prefer The Vortex of Skepticism because I question all things. To include some humor, with a pinch of abuse!

Why DO you believe in a god?

WHAT is in the bible?

WHERE is that in the bible?

No, where is BELIEF in the bible?

Have you ever read any other work of fiction, and do you believe in any of the characters therein?

How do you feel about the volumes of contradictions found in the bible?

How many commandments have you broken?

:GASP: How can you think god still loves you?

If I become so annoyed that I strike you, will you turn the other cheek?

I just saw you look at my crotch - are you thinking about SEX right now?!?!?

Would you like to supersize that?

#68927 - 12/17/04 09:51 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Plato Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hong Kong
It's too time consuming to argue with religious lunatics.
If not necessary,I will never argue with them.
I just ignore them,like I couldn't see them,I couldn't hear them,and walk away with a straight face,seem couldn't aware their existence.In fact,I find it quite useful.

And if they are clever enough,they could perceive the signal that: I ain't wasting a second to hear you shit.
If not,they just take the insult.

Slavoj Zizek

#68928 - 12/17/04 10:02 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Rattlesnake Offline

Loc: Yurop
Call the dog-catcher. He will know what to do....

#68929 - 12/17/04 10:11 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: C_D_McKinna]
Mr_Atrox Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lycopolis
Quote:

beleifs.

Yes. These do, indeed, become tiresome.

AND, AND...why won't he do it??!! Why won't he just add the D!!?

#68930 - 12/17/04 02:13 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Nemo]
nightingale Offline

I've had to deal with people like that a few times. I try to ignore them, if they single me out I tell them: "How does that affect your life?" Unfortunately, and pathetically, sometimes people get pissed off by it.

#68931 - 12/17/04 02:13 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Leo_V]
fatebender Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Sin City
Quote:

The Vortex of Skepticism

I like this a lot, and in situations where its totally OK to be abusive toward the offending Christian, its perfect.

The Roman Ritual is more for those times when you're in a "polite" social environment. Its somehow alright for them to step out of line and discuss religious matters (this is perhaps because they're so abundant in the United States), but still "wrong" for us to antagonize them. The "RR" humiliates them, but by the time they figure it out, it's too late and they end up leaving you alone.

#68932 - 12/17/04 02:25 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Perndog Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA
If I care what a person's reaction will be and expect them to be easily put off, I pretend to be a wishy-washy agnostic. "I think all sorts of religious beliefs are valid, but I haven't found the right ones for me yet."

If I expect someone to be less easily offended, I just say "I don't believe in God, let's talk about something else."

If I really don't give a damn what someone thinks, I play "cynical atheist" and say that everyone can stuff their religion. At least in this way, if any unpleasant word of mouth gets around, it's not quite as bad as establishing a "devil-worshipper" reputation.

#68933 - 12/17/04 03:59 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Perndog]
Quija Offline

Loc: Germany
What do you do if you really like the person who's asking? I mean that could be the mother of your next 1.5 children (german joke, 1.5 is the average).

Some day you'll have to stand up for them; I usually get positive reactions.

#68934 - 12/17/04 03:59 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>> Care to relate some sences like this an how you delt
>> with it?

For starters, I myself wouldn't have made religious jokes within an ear shot of other co-workers. I'll firmly tell people I'm not Xtian in the rare cases when it's blindly assumed otherwise (e.g., co-workers who tell me "Merry Christmas"). And I really don't care if somebody wants to wear a crucifix or put a Ganesh statue in their cubicle, as I see these areas as being private and allowing for personal expression. But other than that, I follow the unwritten rule that religion and politics don't belong in the work place.

Besides, I don't know anybody who'd be stupid enough to proselytize in the office where I work, let alone any office environment. If somebody were dumb enough to try that with me, I would have reported the prick to HR.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#68936 - 12/17/04 04:24 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Quija]
Perndog Offline
CoS Member

I use the first tactic if I really like a Christian (or any sort of serious white-lighter) girl - careful lies. I will have to think of some clever story when my current girlfriend discovers my pentagram tattoo. But the fact that telling her outright about my affiliations would probably scare her away isn't going to stop me from enjoying her company for as long as she's worth keeping around.

To more specifically answer your question, I don't plan on having children with a woman who might have a problem with Satanism. And I don't plan on having children for several years, if ever, so this isn't currently a concern.

#68937 - 12/17/04 04:53 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Caesar Offline

CoS Warlock

Although there are some who can have mature conversations about "religion", most cannot. Even those who are nominal christians will suddenly get convictions about their beliefs when someone like a Satanist (known or not) starts throwing their whole world into doubt and chaos. Even as attractive as doing something like that may be, it will often result in only upseting them, maybe to the point of violence.

I only engage in such talks until I can see that they do not have the potential to understand anything beyond what they think is the truth.

#68938 - 12/17/04 06:39 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Quija]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
I am in the fortunate position of having a girlfriend who doesn't give a damn what I believe religiously. We both go by the credo "To each his/her own". She is a mild pagan/agnostic, which is very ironic, considering I normally cannot tolerate nor appreciate such "white lighter" rhetoric (By mild I mean she is into it mostly for asthetics as opposed to hardcore belief) . Although I have a strong distaste for religions other than satanism and true vampirism, I do assert that the freedom to choose what one believes is up to the individual.

"I believe that a guy in sandals died on a cross for my eternal salvation."

"Um... whatever. (as I gesture, a la 'shoo fly, shoo'...)"
Just do not push your beliefs on me, or suffer the consequences of doing so!

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#68939 - 12/17/04 07:18 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Mr_Atrox]
C_D_McKinna Offline
CoS Member

Loc: San Diego, CA
Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

beleifs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. These do, indeed, become tiresome.

Beliefs, or typos?

I shall try to be more careful in the future.

Quote:

AND, AND...why won't he do it??!! Why won't he just add the D!!?

I have no idea what this is referring to.

Care to share?

"Well done is better than well said"

- Benjamin Franklin

#68940 - 12/17/04 07:38 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Wolf Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Netherlands
It really depends on circumstances. In general, I do not discuss religion, the least at work. I do not drop the dreaded "S"- word either, though everyone working with me could learn the aethics of Satanism by the way I think, work, live, act & react. Yet, in case anyone bluntly comes to me asking questions like that, I'll either cut it short ["No."] or make a joke out of it by using their own prejudices and fears as a mockery - " yeeees, I'm a devil worshipper, I go out in the woods every new moon to sacrifice a virgin; by all means, as a neat christian, you surely have some of 'em virgins left for me, as they are really getting rare these days?". I'll exaggerate to such extend that they don't know what to think anymore, and surely will have to do some re-evaluation on their own weird presumptions.
The same goes for odd questions about me wearing black all the time [1. yes - I'm one of them. 2. I haven't had any question about that for three years - the only time it was mentioned lately was when I put on a blond wig for half an hour, having lost a bet with my chef about something that was quite - ehrm, well, "blond" from my side. ]

In my opinion, we show our standards by showing our work and capabilities. Religion is not my issue. But I do wear necklaces like the CoS Baphomet, a Devil's head, a Gaos-sign at work, along with the everlasting black. I do not complain about people wearing crucifixes, but I think it's fair to do not expect them to complain about others wearing different signs either. I never have encountered any problems with that. My colleges have come to accept me for who I am and decorate my buro at birthday with a guirlande of bats and ghosts. They make black decorations for me. And they give a party when I paint a hundred pink hearts for another college's wedding.

It's not an issue at all.

#68941 - 12/17/04 07:46 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Noel Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Amerika
Why talk to people who are already dead?

And isn't it rude to disparage someone's religion at work?

Maybe you brought this situation on yourself.

#68942 - 12/17/04 08:02 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Noel]
PanzerWolf Offline

Loc: South, AL
Quote:

Maybe you brought this situation on yourself.

I was not aware that she heard us.
Christ Chex, start your day off the holy way. My accomplishments: ROTC, Cadet of the month (November), Author of "A Final Plea" (Soon to be published), 04 class LET II advancement, South, Alabama battle of the bands 3rd place.

#68943 - 12/17/04 09:18 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Bill_M]
Captn_Thatch Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 115°49'00"W 37°14'00"N
That is a good point.

You start it, you finish it.

I would have left my advice here, but on the other hand, the whole situation escalated because of lack of personal responsibility.

That's a whole different matter. Now when management calls him into the office to discuss religious discrimination, (and if it's corporate, they'll lay a fat book about 500 pages wide in his hands covering the subject) then defending one's own actions is going to go to a whole new level of prowess in lesser magic.

#68944 - 12/17/04 09:37 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lost.
The best thing here is to avoid talking religion during work time. You never know who you're going to offend. You put yourself in that situation, you know that, right? Hell, YOU could be disciplined for being unruly at work. Cool it on the Jesus Jokes. There is a time for everything.

#68945 - 12/17/04 09:37 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Noel]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
Quote:

Who cares? They don't care about disparaging others and making an annoyance out of themselves. Give them what they want.

Mental Pain and Anguish. (Ie, be passive aggressive)

Christians are closet masochists at heart.

Christians, instead of subliminating their masochism openly and sexually (like self-realised people do) they go to church and engage in mutual mental masturbation and flagellation. (Or do both, the first always before the latter. What's the point in confessing if there isn't a sin to confess to?)

The best thing to do is let them play their masochistic role. This will give you good practice at being a sadist. They become more and more frustrated when they can't find anyone to read their Buy-Bull and believe in Jesus. By ignoring them, you are actually giving them what they so desperately desire in the first place. The evangelist is most miserable (and ecstatic) when there is that ONE person they can't get to because they WON'T listen to their drivel. They love to argue, but they secretly desire to be beaten at their own game. Seeing as how it is impossible to argue with a Christian, the sure road to defeating particulalry annoying one, is to play by their rules and do to them as they do unto others.

Treat their religion as inconsequential and meaningless.

They HATE it when you won't treat it like it's some big friggin deal.

"Sure. Great. Okay. Fine. I'm glad you are happy with your choice of religion. You _are_ happy aren't you? Don't answer that. Just think about it. See you later. Bye." And leave ceremoniously.

The only reason Christians have so much power is because they do stupid aggravating shit. If enough people would ignore them for long enough, the religion would die. Look at the Gods of Egypt. People eventually got fed up enough and started ignoring them. Now they are buried under meters of sand, and are curiousity peices in homes and museums.

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#68946 - 12/17/04 11:53 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Wendy Offline

Loc: Geelong, Australia
Quote:

This is conversation with a young woman I met in my new field office yesterday evening.

"Hey"-Young woman
"Hey"- Me
"Oh, yeah"-Me
"So?"-Me
"Why did you make that joke about jesus, the one with the cross? Are you an athiest?"-YW
*Laughs* "Were you insulted?"-Me
" I geuss it would be a dead giveaway if I told you to mind you own buisness."-Me
"Why don't you beleive in God?"

Being so close to the Christians most important celebration of the year, naturally there are going to be many people who will react this way toward any thing that they think is insulting Christianity. An incredible amount of people seem to suddenly turn very religious this time of year (as at Easter) and are more sensitive to any remark made.

An it went on for about eight more minutes untill I told her to leave my office. It was so unbeleiveably annoying I nearly cursed her out. Someone who I did'nt even work with, someone who was in a totally different department. Thought it would be okay to badger me about my beleifs because we had a mutual freind.

Care to relate some sences like this an how you delt with it?

I deal with it by not discussing religion under any circumstance in the first place. Work is not the place for discussing that, nor is politics. Although in my case it would be a little difficult to work without discussing politics. I try and keep discussion focused on something that everyone can be part of.

I am also very lucky enough to work in an enviroment where everyone is an atheist or else very open minded about any and everything. Still, outside of work I have had the extreme misfortune to have to contend with a person who was your typical bible basher. It was one of those situations where I could not avoid being with the person.
I simply listened for a period of time until I saw a window of opportunity. I then began to ask questions that I knew they couldnt reply to without contradicting themselves.
What I actually did was to use what they actually believed in, in such a way that it could be used against them and make them become the ones who were very uninformed. They quickly shut up after that!

Hail Satan

#68947 - 12/18/04 11:55 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
DeVico Offline

Loc: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, U...
It has been said throughout his thread but I will throw in my own 2 cents as well.

I try to keep religion out of my work place.

I do expect the idiots to do the same.

If they do, I make it known fast and hard to drop it ( example; After a somewhat busy morning, one of my co-workers exclaimed loudly due to my work effort "God bless Charlie!" I responded back at the same volume "Your god has nothing to do with it" with the best pissed off face I could muster. ) Other times, when we had a new assistant manager who went around asking people if they went to church on Sunday so she would give them that day off, I just follow work protocol. Took her aside explained that there were Jews that worked in the company and that she was discriminating. This left me with the "unfortunate" task of having to write her up for the issue and she quit a week later. Ahh sometimes the guilt they have is so fun to watch.

I find it to be sufficient to keep any religion discussion at work cut to a minimal. If my co-workers want to discuss it more in depth, then I suggest after work at a pub and THAT makes for entertainment.

#68948 - 12/18/04 01:36 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Wolf]
Immaculata Offline

Loc: Netherlands
This is exactly what we learn to do at my study. "How do you tell someone something that he/she wants to hear, without saying exactly what he/she wants to hear.
We actually had a very nice instruction video by his holiness John Cleese on this subject some weeks ago.

According to him, and most of our text books, you should:
1. Smile.
2. Say: "No, I don't believe in God."
3. If the person starts asking on: say: "I have my reasons"
4. If the person is persistent: keep repeating "I have my reasons" and start moving away. Or, if you are in your own office make the suggestion that you are very busy (or something of the sort)

Anyway, that is the textbook script. Unfortunately, people are not always that easy to reason with. If you get one of those: start running and don't look back! No. Just kidding. It has been my experience that if you make general remarks and stick to smiling (until your smile sticks to your face) people will actually lose their momentum, droop off (is that the correct way of saying it?) and go back to doing usefull stuff (like wearing blond wigs).
Unfortunately I have had to deal with this situation a couple of times. Also very unfortunate, these were people that I had to work with in the future. So, bitching them out of the room was not really an option. The remark that "i had my reasons" really worked. They lost interest and got back to their work.

#68949 - 12/18/04 02:09 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Bogey_Man]
zaxaf Offline
CoS Member

Well at my work there is a lady that comes in part time and everything she talks about is religion. How everyone is going to burn in hell, how the ends times are here (again, it seems the end times have been here for the last 2000 years)! She also related everything to religion and politics (which i am not getting into here as i am not going to start a political discussion as i bassically do not care at this point). Anyway she goes on and on and on and on and on and on...INFINITY! I just let her talk and ruin her life and live like a fool, as well it does not effect me, she is the one missing the boat. She also prays for all of us and lights candles and such etc..etc..INFINITY! The lady is nice and she is friendly BUT she is foolish and blinded by the herd. She is the epitomy of a zealot! She has no clue what i do, if she could only see thru my shirt and see what hangs around my neck (baphomet) i would never hear the end of it! I will ONLY discuss my Satanic ways under very specific circumstances. And yes i agree religion should not be brought into work! Xians get to shoove there Bibles and there dead religion down our throats, but do we dare shoove Satanism and The Satanic Bible down there throats..OH NO boy we would all be in deep shit then!

#68950 - 12/18/04 02:44 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Old_Pig]
zaxaf Offline
CoS Member

Burn all of his old evil music CD's, what a waste, if you knew about that before hand you could have told him give them to me and i will sort thru and keep all the "good" DEVIL music for myself and sell the rest at the used record shop

#68951 - 12/18/04 03:00 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Felstorm]
Noel Offline
CoS Member

I still maintain that it causes shit-storms at work if one goes around making religious jokes that are bound to cause a negative reaction from co-workers. There is a time and a place for religious jokes--call it situational joke-making. Maybe my comment was mistaken for an endorsement of the Golden Rule.

My comment was actually aimed at applying the Eleven Rules of the Earth to the workplace--specifically, I, III and VIII.

I agree about ignoring Christians--that's why I said, "Why talk to people who are already dead?"

I don't agree that Christianity will go away if I ignore it, however. Even if Christianity does get defeated through passive measures another religion will replace it, like Islam or Judaism. The majority of the earth's population needs some sort of spiritual pipe dream--the labels seem irrelevant.

Anyway, it is one's own choice whether they want to create enemies at work or allies.

#68952 - 12/19/04 04:52 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Noel]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I still maintain that it causes shit-storms at work if one goes around making religious jokes that are bound to cause a negative reaction from co-workers. There is a time and a place for religious jokes--call it situational joke-making. Maybe my comment was mistaken for an endorsement of the Golden Rule.

I fail to see how "He who has the gold makes the rules." has anything to do with this. This IS the Golden Rule after all.

Religion is going to come up at work. It's like sex. The topic is always turning up because it's actually stimulating to talk about, unlike the news or weather. It provides a medium for them to prop up their limp ego's, posture and genuflect. It's at this point the Electric Fart Machine comes in handily to break it up.

*Fart*

Oh my, was that _me_ ?? Or was it you?

Quote:

I agree about ignoring Christians--that's why I said, "Why talk to people who are already dead?"

Ignoring them is the most irritating and enjoyable experience for them. So let 'em have it.

Quote:

I don't agree that Christianity will go away if I ignore it, however. Even if Christianity does get defeated through passive measures another religion will replace it, like Islam or Judaism. The majority of the earth's population needs some sort of spiritual pipe dream--the labels seem irrelevant.

Well of course it won't go away if only an individual ignores it. You have to get other people to ignore it too. This is where the Herd-mentality comes in very useful. Get enough people to ignore an idea for long enough and it will die.

All Hail the Gods of Cable, Satellite, and DVD! The lowly cathode ray tube will be the downfall of Christ and his minions.

Quote:

Anyway, it is one's own choice whether they want to create enemies at work or allies.

Very good point.

However, no hero is without a villian. It's the villian that makes the Hero. The more vile the Villian, the more virtue the Hero is able to assign to himself by fighting said despicable villian.

So how does one humiliate the Crusading Hero? By utilising the "Good-guy Badge" just long enough to turn your co-workers against the proverbial Buy-Bull thumping "Paladin". He may cite free speach, but if he's the insistent type, one brushing him off will only paint him further as a mindless retard in the minds of others. They'll assign you a "Good-guy Badge" just long enough to put him in his rightful place. And hopefully you can go back to your insularised "safe-zone", free of such distracting idiots.

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

#68953 - 12/19/04 01:04 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Felstorm]
Noel Offline
CoS Member

I guess the moral of the story is to become self-employed or otherwise escape the mundanity of actually going to a workplace full of herd-fucker zealots.

That's what my father did at least.

#68954 - 12/19/04 05:28 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Noel]
CoffinRust Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Alabama
Quote:

I guess the moral of the story is to become self-employed or otherwise escape the mundanity of actually going to a workplace full of herd-fucker zealots.

That's what I've done, and it works wonderfully.

CoffinRust.com | On Facebook | On Undercroft | The Compleat Witch Illustrated Bibliography

The Church of Satan Baphomet Altarpiece
The ONLY Altarpiece endorsed by the Church of Satan, using the Trademarked CoS Sigil of Baphomet.
A percentage from each piece sold is proudly paid directly to the organization for this privilege.
Do not accept imitations!

#68955 - 12/19/04 06:10 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Old_Pig Offline

There is another simple way. When asked "Why don't you believe in God?" you could answer:

"I don't need a reason. I just don’t"

Another answer I some times give is "I just don't need to" and elaborate: "A man with a broken leg would need a cane to walk. But once his leg heals, he won't need the cane anymore. Actually, carrying the cane would make him slower. The same happens with me and believing in God, I just don't have any need for it"

Of course, those are answers I use some times when I know they will work in the situation and the context. They may not work on everyone.

Most fanatical Christians would keep insisting and annoying you. The best option is probably just turn your back and ignore them.

In some case it’s even better to dismiss them with a polite but firm answer. If they keep nagging, show a stoic resignation and try not to lose your nerve. Express your intention not to discuss the topic... then let the Christian explode with "holy wrath". To everyone around, it would be clear you are acting in a civilized way, while he/she is the one harassing you. In most workplace situations, this will be sufficient to induce a disciplinary action on the offending party.

#68956 - 12/19/04 07:43 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
BlueMoon Offline
CoS Member

I would ask her, if she´s a fucking fortuneteller or a clairvoyant, because she´s reasoning just by telling a joke, that you don´t believe in god!

Oh my...
If I would tell jokes about senior citizens, is it inevitably ageism??
THAT´s against all reasons.
I would tell her to turn her mind on, before talking.
She should mind her own business and stop bothering other people.

How can a person due to a joke assume that someone don´t believe in what ever or is for/against what ever??
Now that´s real BULLSHIT.
Maybe she would notice then, that she right away made a fool of herself.

Ok, in the end she´s right, but who cares? It was just a coincidence. Not more, not less.

Find me on MySpace...

[color:"silver"]Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
~ Harvey Fierstein[/color]

#68957 - 12/19/04 10:34 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: C_D_McKinna]
Member_7244 Offline

Quote:

This person was talking about God, and all the wonderful things God had done in their life, hoping that I would in turn voluntarily tell them about my religious beliefs. My response was to stare blankly and say nothing. People can't stand to be ignored, and when you ignore them they usually either become more persistent or go bother somebody else.

This is usually how I resolve the issue. Ignore them. When they come to your door, just stare up in the sky, or watch your cat walk around. Practically everything is more interesting than bible banger zealots.

However, could it be that sometimes, just MAYBE, sometimes some one can be expressing their view of God and the wonderful things that God has helped them accomplish in a non Christian meaning? As in, maybe they view god as a force in nature, or view god as something in themselves? Westerners will usually never understand the true meaning of that 'void' they fill with god as being the literal meaning to them being gods the whole time, but they can substitute the name and still understand at least on a minimal level that the existence of that power does exist. Called God or not.

Anyone follow me? Or am I just on a limb here, dangerously close to sounding like I'm a Christian or defending a zealot?

(I spell checked your words, no offense taken I hope.)

Edited by MyRealName (12/19/04 11:47 PM)

#68958 - 12/20/04 12:48 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Noel]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>I guess the moral of the story is to become self-employed
>>or otherwise escape the mundanity of actually going to a
>>workplace full of herd-fucker zealots.

I'm not going to change my career to a personally undesired self-employment situation just because I see a couple of crosses and Hindu god statues in the personal areas of some co-workers. They never bring up religion with me, and I never start any sort of debates or attacks on their religion. Hell, with the line of work I do, I never have to talk to a non-employee, and I barely even have to talk to my co-workers.

Actually, I suppose there is one recent sign of religion in my work place: the fact that I get two paid holiday days off this week in light of Xmas and Xmas Eve. Fine with me! It's not like I can't schedule some of my vacation days around my birthday, Halloween and Walpurgisnacht.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#68959 - 12/20/04 08:49 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Rattlesnake Offline

My conversation today morning. An evangelist approached me and said Merry Christmas.

Me - "Oh, thank you. You know, it is a good thing that Jesus was born or we would not have a 2 week holiday now."

She - "That's not the meaning of Christmas!!"

Me - "What is it then?"

She - "The fact that Jesus came and saved us all!"

Me - "Who is Jesus?"

She - "What? He is the son of God and saves us all!"

Me- "And we are celebrating his birthday?"

She - "Yes, he was born in Bethlehem under a star and three Magi brought him presents."

At this point she gave me what i needed.

Me - "Tell me, is not witchcraft supposed to be a devil's work and witches should be burned?"

She - "You shall not spare a sorceress to live!"

Me - "So why the hell did the Magi bothered to give gifts to Jesus in the first place? I mean, since you burn witches, doesn't that mean that Jesus received the devil's blessings?"

She - "Uhh... Ummh.... What... Eeeeh...."

Me - "By the way, you are really pretty, care to give me your phone number so we can have sex like crazy?"

She - "GO AWAY YOU BASTARD!!"

Me - "Watch it, anger is one of the 7 deadly sins."

She - "GO AWAY!!!! GO AWAY NOW!!!!!!!"

Boy that was fun. Xtians are such clowns!

#68960 - 12/20/04 09:05 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: zaxaf]
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Xians get to shoove there Bibles and there dead religion down our throats, but do we dare shoove Satanism and The Satanic Bible down there throats..OH NO boy we would all be in deep shit then!

Would you want to? Why are you complaining about what other people get to do when you wouldn't want to do it anyway? At least...

#68961 - 12/20/04 09:16 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Noel]
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

Or maybe not to lower yourself and become some office worker jerkoff who cares little for how he presents himself in public. There is a big difference between being diabolical and being an asshole, and stepping all over someone's beliefs is definitely leaning towards the latter. If someone asks if you believe in God, don't go out shouting "NO! Fuck God! He stole my daddy's job down at the mill! I hate God!" because that just makes you look like an angry jackass. Plus you'll have no friends, except maybe more angry jackasses.

#68962 - 12/20/04 11:30 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Rattlesnake]
Perndog Offline
CoS Member

She thought the Magi were wizards?

#68963 - 12/20/04 12:41 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Perndog]
Rattlesnake Offline

Yes, though the Magi were a cast of priests in ancient Iran, if I am not mistaken, and I think they were astrologers not wizzards. I just used some sort of unexistent relation with the word magic to confuse her.

#68964 - 12/20/04 02:28 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
J. Hagalaz Offline

In this situation I like to play "the better Christian."

For instance when someone at work once asked me if I was a Satanist after looking at some of my artwork I brought to show a friend, my reply went something like this:

" A lot of people think I don't believe in God but that's simply not true. I DO believe in God, I just don't wear him on my sleeve as some kind of a badge in order to look good. To me God is about love and I think a lot of people spend more time pointing their accusing finger at other people when they should be taking a better look at themselves."

They had nothing more to say.

Edited by johnharperjr (12/20/04 02:29 PM)

#68965 - 12/20/04 02:43 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Quija Offline

Aaarrrgh, I can't believe you people!!! Is god still such a big matter with you? It isn't here, maybe never has been...In Germany we don't talk about god or satan in elevators, we don't talk at all. If there's something to be discussed, we just think about it, and give each other a nod, or sometimes no nod...

#68966 - 12/20/04 03:45 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Quija]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Quote:

Aaarrrgh, I can't believe you people!!! Is god still such a big matter with you? It isn't here, maybe never has been...In Germany we don't talk about god or satan in elevators, we don't talk at all. If there's something to be discussed, we just think about it, and give each other a nod, or sometimes no nod...

In the state of Georgia the subject DOES come up. It is sometimes unavoidable.

#68967 - 12/20/04 04:36 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Quija]
BlueMoon Offline
CoS Member

First of all, who is "WE in Germany"?
I´m from Germany, too and I wonder where the hell are you living!

Where I´m working we talk alot. That´s necessary to keep being informed.
Maybe some things can be advised by a memo, but most things need to be communicated face to face.

I guess, your walls at work are full of little notes?
Well, you don´t have much to talk about, but therefore you must be a good writer (at least in German).
But the best thing is : You don´t need wallpapers.

Besides that, in the initial post he wrote, that he told a JOKE about jesus to a co-worker at the elevator.
So he did not discuss god in any way or talked about him, he just told a J O K E!

And if you are refering to all the posts here :
That´s conversation!

Find me on MySpace...

[color:"silver"]Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
~ Harvey Fierstein[/color]

#68968 - 12/20/04 06:09 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Rattlesnake]
Old_Pig Offline

Quote:

My conversation today morning. An evangelist approached me and said Merry Christmas.

Me - "Oh, thank you. You know, it is a good thing that Jesus was born or we would not have a 2 week holiday now."

She - "That's not the meaning of Christmas!!"

Me - "What is it then?"

She - "The fact that Jesus came and saved us all!"

Me - "Who is Jesus?"

She - "What? He is the son of God and saves us all!"

Me- "And we are celebrating his birthday?"

She - "Yes, he was born in Bethlehem under a star and three Magi brought him presents."

At this point she gave me what i needed.

Me - "Tell me, is not witchcraft supposed to be a devil's work and witches should be burned?"

She - "You shall not spare a sorceress to live!"

Me - "So why the hell did the Magi bothered to give gifts to Jesus in the first place? I mean, since you burn witches, doesn't that mean that Jesus received the devil's blessings?"

She - "Uhh... Ummh.... What... Eeeeh...."

Me - "By the way, you are really pretty, care to give me your phone number so we can have sex like crazy?"

She - "GO AWAY YOU BASTARD!!"

Me - "Watch it, anger is one of the 7 deadly sins."

She - "GO AWAY!!!! GO AWAY NOW!!!!!!!"

Boy that was fun. Xtians are such clowns!

Thats a great idea! Jesus got gifts from pagans! The Resident Jesus Freak at my job talks about Astrology being Devil's thing. I'll mention him the Magi to see how he reacts. They were following a star or something... right?

#68969 - 12/20/04 06:53 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Old_Pig]
Mars Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Mid-Atlantic USA
“Me - "By the way, you are really pretty, care to give me your phone number so we can have sex like crazy?"

Pig, you are such a ladies man!

Edited by Mars (12/20/04 06:55 PM)

Awaken the Dragon Within!

#68970 - 12/21/04 12:37 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: BlueMoon]
Quija Offline

I hear you!

#68971 - 12/21/04 02:36 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Old_Pig]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Thats a great idea! Jesus got gifts from pagans! The Resident Jesus Freak at my job talks about Astrology being Devil's thing. I'll mention him the Magi to see how he reacts. They were following a star or something... right?

I think one could refer to this as "pulling the rug from under.".

Are You One of Us?

#68972 - 12/21/04 03:25 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Noel]
Grima Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Well I'm a freelance artist so I don't have to deal with people at work but I've had to deal with teachers while I was still in art school.
You would think that such a school would give a bit more freedom then a normal school but I was constantly bothered because of my views.
But I didn't care and why would I? Why waste my time on people who can only point their finger at me and sometimes even try and 'save' me? I can think of other ways to spent my energy than on close-minded people who will never care.
I must state however that I never go out and tell people that I'm a Satanist. I feel no need to go around and scream to everybody about my philosophy, I would be just as bad as any jehovah's witness, would I not?

#68973 - 12/22/04 03:40 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Bogey_Man]
Noel Offline
CoS Member

I agree one hundred percent, Sinistra. It is boorish to make religious jokes at work and then wonder why others are offended.

#68974 - 12/22/04 06:04 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Hmm, that's a rough one. I practically cringed reading it, since I hate having to get into confrontations with people.

First, I at least *try* to sniff out everyone's religious beliefs before I tell or make certain jokes. But, that's not always possible, obviously. In any case, an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.

When that does happen, I may just pretend to be a silly, oblivious joker-nerd who just likes to joke about anything. If people get the impression that I'm just a goof or worse, boorish, they may still be mad with me, but they won't be particularly suspicious about me. I may try to joke about something else that the person finds funny, to attempt to get them back on my side.

Or, if I think I won't get away with that tactic, I may tell the person who's on my case that I was just pandering to the group or peer pressure, because so-and-so likes those jokes and I feel I have to entertain him/her. I then apologize and pander to that person's worldview a little. It's flagrantly spineless, but in the right situations, it's good for avoiding a conflict.

Obviously, this is a non-confrontational approach, and that's what you'll usually get from me. I'm not the type to give someone the finger and proudly declare, "Hell yeah, I told that joke, because I'm a Satanist, so there!" You have to find out what's your style, and what kind of consequences you're willing to handle in the end.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#68975 - 12/22/04 06:14 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Felstorm]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Excellent point, Felstorm. I have often heard from Christians that "the fallen world hates righteousness," so when other people bash, insult, criticize, or mock them or their religion, they assume it is because they are right and righteous, and the evildoers of the world are just jealous and resentful. Doesn't matter if they are really obnoxious or if their behavior truly warrants criticism--if the tomatoes are flying, it means they must be on the RIGHT track.

I have also heard it said that if you are tempted often by Satan, it means he considers you a threat, so you must be a Real Christian (tm). On the same side of the coin, if you suffer often, it means Yhwh is sharpening and perfecting you to be his special bitch, and it means he cares.

If that ain't presumptuousness and masochism, I don't know what is.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#68976 - 12/25/04 11:24 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
I like to set boundaries right away in the work place as well as in many areas of my life. Boundaries such as, 1.) Do not try to walk on me or suffer the consequences. 2.) I don't kiss ass for anyone (unless it will give me a HUGH pay off). 3.) I never get involved in petty office discussions; such as religion, what my sex life is like, or what I do on a Full Moon.

Having set the boundaries I am the type to be a bit brooding, I don't dress like everyone else, and no one at my office knows just what to make of me, which is the way I like it. They tend to give me a wide berth, all the while casting furtive glances my way when they think I am not looking.

Set the boundaries, then keep them guessing. Works for me.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#68977 - 12/26/04 02:41 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: J. Hagalaz]
Thaine_Draagen Offline

Nothing better and more satisfying than smacking a bible thumper in the face with their own crap. Nice one.

#68978 - 12/26/04 03:13 PM Still laughing [Re: Rattlesnake]
tellsammy Offline

Loc: Finland
thanks! *laughs*

#68979 - 12/26/04 03:35 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Malin_Wolf Offline
CoS Member

Loc: A sleepy little hollow in Flor...
This is how I would of handled it (after plenty of trial and error).

"Hey"-Young woman
"Hello."- Me
"About what?"-Me
"Could you please refresh my memory on the subject?"-Me
*Laughs* "I'm sorry, did I offend you?"-Me
" On the contrary. I do believe in god, but not in the same sense as you may."-Me

Now you could add to that with, "I find the subject fascinating and I would consider it a pleasure to talk about it over some lunch. How about it?"

Or...she might come back with, "And in what sense is that?"
Be evasive and alluring...you might get a date of it.

Logic over emotional reaction.

Baiting the conversation will ultimately change the outcome in your favor. Becoming emotional about this confrontation is your own fault and you deserve to angry at no one but yourself for not being able to handle the situation. You initiated by your comments. You buckled when she called your bluff. She then led you and you followed.

#68980 - 12/26/04 07:57 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
SubOptimo Offline
CoS Member

"Yes."-You

Problem solved. Her expectations are fulfilled. No more need for explanations.

Maybe her answer to this would have been:
"Why don't you believe in God?"-YW
"So, why do you? - Please explain it to me at dinner tonight."-You

HS!

#68981 - 12/26/04 08:20 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Rattlesnake]
SubOptimo Offline
CoS Member

"Excellent!"
Voice in Quake III Arena.

#68982 - 12/27/04 07:14 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Mars]
Rattlesnake Offline

dating rule #4

Never date a woman who is crazier than you.

#68983 - 12/27/04 12:31 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
AnxiousBeing Offline

Well, I have never been in such an akward situation, I suppose it's because I use a little more tact in a public place, especially work. I would have told the woman that I believe in God and I was just joking around. I have heard plenty of Christians make jokes about Jesus amongst other things outside of church. Sometimes being a chameleon is a good survival tool. By the way what was the joke?
"The Church of Satan is not "homophobic." "The Church of Satan is not a NAZI organization." "The Church of Satan is neither racist nor sexist." "The Church of Satan has not in any way strayed from the philosophy created by Anton LaVey." Magus Gilmore. A Map for the Misdirected.

#68984 - 12/28/04 06:22 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
scoundrel Offline

Loc: Philippines
What if you stated that being who you are is someone who you are.
And anyway, even you explain it over again, she'll never understand or even feel about what you have said.
She maybe is a God-realist or a God-nonrealist.
Well for me, you made the right decision to ignore her and to stop wasting time by not talking to her.

#68985 - 12/28/04 09:46 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: scoundrel]
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

The person was obviously offended, albeit reacted awkwardly ("Are you an atheist?") She was offended in her own workplace. That is the real issue. Not whether the Satanist's obligation to tell her his alliance. Who cares if he was a Satanist or a Christian, the point is he was a jackass at work and he was confronted about it.

#68986 - 12/28/04 03:10 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Care to relate some sences like this an how you delt with it? (sic)

I don't allow myself to get into such situations at work in the first place.
Prevention of Virtue

S Magazine 1 & 2
S Magazine 3

#68987 - 12/29/04 04:50 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
As most everyone else has said the best policy is not to discuss religion at all at work. However, if the subject does come up and the little sheep won't leave you alone I have found the most effective way of dealing with it is to play to all the false myths of Satanism to such an obscene extent that they see how stupid they are being.

A good way to end the conversation is thus:

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go sacrifice a virgin and drink the blood of an unbaptized baby

SETI@Home Team

#68988 - 12/30/04 05:25 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
AnibisNin Offline

The fact that you ask how others would deal with this troubles me. It would seem as if you were somewhat in doubt of how you should deal with it. A god in doubt of itself is no god at all. Yet the path can be long for some, keep walking and ask only of yourself in occasions like these. These are your tasks to work through. Whatever leaves you with a self satisfying and completed feeling is obviously the correct manner in which to deal with this. Everyone's character and experience is different. Pretend to be someone else and you will be no one at all. Stop looking for ideas and allow yourself to take control.

#68989 - 01/01/05 02:25 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
delah19 Offline

IF someone asks you if you believe in god, say:

"Well, of course I believe in god. I'm standing right here, aren't I?"

#68990 - 01/01/05 03:22 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Rajed Offline

Loc: France (Réunion)
In this situation I think it is good to say you belive in God but in your way.

Only your friends, your familie, your community may know your real religion. If you divulge your religion to everyone this is create more divergence.

Of course ! use the Lesser magic

#68991 - 01/04/05 11:21 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
Before I tell my story, I always wear my baphomet medallion except for when I am asleep, when I'm exercising, or when I'm going swimming. At my job in a retail store I still wear the baphomet medallion around my neck. One day, a guy came up to me at my job, and the following happened.

MAN: Can I ask you a personal question?
Myself: Sure, go ahead.
MAN: Do you know what that symbol around your neck means?
Myself: It represents who I am. Myself, my ego, and my carnal desires.
MAN: So you're a devil worshipper.
Myself: Haha, I'm afraid you're wrong.
MAN: Then why are you wearing the sign of the devil around your neck?
Myself: Because I want to, and I can do what I feel like.
MAN: God's gonna get you one day.
Myself: I'm sure he will. (I then snicker and laugh in his face, and walk away.)

I wasn't scared, shocked, or surprised that this happened to me. Then again, I don't care what people think. If they are offended, that's their problem.

#68992 - 01/04/05 12:07 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: G.F.V.]
Rajed Offline

Loc: France (Réunion)
I think your attitude is very good in this situation.

Sin well !

#68993 - 01/05/05 04:33 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
ArkhamMiskatonic Offline

Smile and nod.

It makes some people feel better to talk about that crap in public. In such a fashion they can assure they have a bracing of like-minded "moral" individuals upon which they can support thier problem ridden life.

Smile and nod.

After I hear a co-worker go off on one of these tangents I really get an insight into who they are, and how useful they can be. I've only ever had this problem once or twice, it was never much of a hassle.... Smile and nod.

H.S.

#68994 - 01/05/05 04:37 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: G.F.V.]
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

If they are offended, that's their problem.

Try saying that when you get fired for offending one too many people on the job. You offend people, they won't like you. If people don't like you, you make yourself vulnerable for attack.

#68995 - 01/05/05 04:47 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Bogey_Man]
Ceallach Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Unless you work in an environment where your boss may actually stick up for you (which happened all of once to me; a customer found out I was one of those evil devil worshipping Witches and my boss said if he felt that strongly; don't shop there), bringing your religion into the workplace is never a good idea. Not only do you open yourself up to discrimination (and in most areas, that can be covered with a blanket "oh I felt he wasn't performing up to par"), and frankly; they're not worth the time. if they choose to be unenlightened, brainwashed and a host of other names for it; let them be. They're the ones stuck living their life as a sheep
We, however, are at the top of the food chain, and don't need to remind anyone of it. our prescence alone, does that.

#68996 - 01/06/05 01:42 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
G X B Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Florida
Quote:

How did you deal with this?

Well to be honest, I didn't deal with it. Divulging your religion or political position to anyone can, and most often does, put a damper on your ability to utilize Lesser Magic for certain. Even if you were of the same religion or party member as someone you work with, it would probably still be best to keep silent.

Replace "In God We Trust" with "Responsibility to the Responsible."

"Knowledge is long, and life is short, and he who does not know, does not live." -Baltasar Gracian, The Art of Worldly Wisdom

MySpace | The Third Side Conservative | Undercroft

#68997 - 01/06/05 06:15 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Ceallach]
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Unless you work in an environment where your boss may actually stick up for you (which happened all of once to me; a customer found out I was one of those evil devil worshipping Witches and my boss said if he felt that strongly; don't shop there)

How many times will an employer stick up for you and tell potential cash paying customers to fuck off before he realizes he's running away business? That's not an effective manager in my opinion.

We, however, are also a minority that can be seen as dangerous. When people feel threatened, these same people you call SHEEP will turn to very effective fighters. How ELITE are you going to be when you can't have a job without pissing off way too many people by hanging on to that precious baphomet?

Besides, the original post was about a jackass who went out and put himself in harms way by telling a stupid joke when he should have known there could have been people to offend. Pissing people off that way is not being elite or better, it is being a jackass.

Decide what is better.

#68998 - 01/06/05 06:37 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Bogey_Man]
Ceallach Offline

Quote:

How many times will an employer stick up for you and tell potential cash paying customers to fuck off before he realizes he's running away business? That's not an effective manager in my opinion.

Actually, it's only happened once, and I'd been working there for a number of years; My boss chose to have one customer go away with his biblethumping rather than shove it into her face (and mine since he would give me grief everytime I worked). This was due to my boss knowing that no matter my beliefs, I am a trustworthy, hard worker, who generally, everyone likes; there's just a few who're too ignorant to deal
I too agree that the originating conversation ought never have occurred; which is why, despite me perusing these forums at my workplace; noone asks, we're a gaming company, an incredibly diverse group. I don't worry about being myself in my normally quiet manner here, as people know me as a person first; religion doesn't enter into it.

#68999 - 01/06/05 09:18 PM Re: How did you deal with this? Pragmatism! [Re: Ceallach]
Mars Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Mid-Atlantic USA
I agree that it’s one thing to walk into work wearing a big Baphomet and carrying a SB. On the other hand, just being a Satanist by one’s very nature brings attention that you are a unique person. It all comes down to pragmatism folks.

Awaken the Dragon Within!

#69000 - 01/07/05 07:23 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
simasud666 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New York, USA
Religion and Politics is something you never discuss not even in joking unless you are in a large group of like-minded people.

I have found that you can lose friends this way.

If in the work place, you can isolate yourself from others, which is not a good thing, and it can cause some to be fired unless you have others who agree with your values.

In today’s world, what you say can and will get you into trouble with some for they are just looking for a good fight. A Co-worker of my husbands is now in court because he told one of the secretaries in passing that she looked good. She misconstrued his comment and sued him for sexual harassment.

So when it comes to your job always play their game so that you keep yourself safe for your survival is also your livelihood and sometimes we just have to put everything else aside to protect that.

If you are in a group of like-minded people (and you will know this) make sure you say things so only they can hear. If not you will run into this problem again.

If you get to a point in your life like I have you will find that if you put your best foot forward and show yourself in a good way where people are drawn to you because they like you for who you are, what you represent (even if they don’t know what your religious values are), and find you fun to be with then except it. This is a form of Lesser Magic.

For a long time I kept my Baphomet hidden under my clothing but I always wear it 24/7 since the mid 70s. Once I establish my self by being who I am, I bring it out slowly. Some days showing it while others hiding it. Then I bring it out and wear it in the open all the time. I have been told that the reason everyone likes me is because I am up beat, happy, fun loving, kind to those who deserve it, and respectful. Last summer I was talking to a friend at a bar on the smoking porch when I was attacked by a woman who is a born again Christian. She blocked my way from leaving the porch and kept ranting her Christianity at me. Since the door of the bar was open everyone inside heard her. The entire bar ended up on the porch including the bartender who asked her to leave the bar. These were Atheists, Christians, and one Jew. They told her that I was always welcome there and they asked her to leave and not return. The rest of the day, I drank free, danced and had a great time. Those that were left there all knew that I was a Satanist and many of them have asked me questions about Satanism and have accepted my answers on it.

Therefore, you see I played the game long enough to establish my self and I came out of the closet so to speak. Those that are interested will ask questions or as some have asked to borrow my books so that they can have a better understanding of what I believe in. You will find that those who do know you feel privileged to be in your presents. Those who do not know you avoid conflict with and let them come to you. They always do because the woman who attacked me was at the privet New Years party I was at this year, came up, and apologized to me. She is now trying to be my friend even though I will not let her into my circle of friends and she realized that at the party we were at. She stood off with her husband in a corner while the rest of us were having a great time.

#69001 - 01/07/05 08:16 AM Re: How did you deal with this? Pragmatism! [Re: Mars]
Ceallach Offline

Quote:

I agree that it’s one thing to walk into work wearing a big Baphomet and carrying a SB. On the other hand, just being a Satanist by one’s very nature brings attention that you are a unique person. It all comes down to pragmatism folks.

I have to agree wholeheartedly; my father defines it as an "aura" that surrounds a person. I used to think it was the long black coat I often wear, or the flaming red hair, but he said it's there regardless what I'm wearing or whathaveyou, it's not so much a foreboding aura, so much as an air of confidence; we KNOW who we are, we have no pretenses, no facades, etc. That, I think, draws people to us whether they realize it or not.
And every Satanist I've ever met in person, I knew there was SOMETHING about them, even before I saw the Baphomet, or whathaveyou. It was their aura

#69002 - 01/07/05 02:41 PM Re: How did you deal with this? Pragmatism! [Re: Ceallach]
AnxiousBeing Offline

I too have experienced this "aura" that you speak of. I was walking down the street on a summer afternoon and a woman stepped out of her car and commented that there was just something about me that seemed to glow. I never met this woman so I thanked her and smiled. It's something of magnetic energy perhaps. As if we are a blackhole and absorb the world in us.
"The Church of Satan is not "homophobic." "The Church of Satan is not a NAZI organization." "The Church of Satan is neither racist nor sexist." "The Church of Satan has not in any way strayed from the philosophy created by Anton LaVey." Magus Gilmore. A Map for the Misdirected.

#69003 - 01/07/05 03:37 PM Re: How did you deal with this? Pragmatism! [Re: AnxiousBeing]
Ceallach Offline

Quote:

I too have experienced this "aura" that you speak of. I was walking down the street on a summer afternoon and a woman stepped out of her car and commented that there was just something about me that seemed to glow. I never met this woman so I thanked her and smiled. It's something of magnetic energy perhaps. As if we are a blackhole and absorb the world in us.

Perhaps it is because we, unlike most people, do not feel the need to hide who we truly are. We have embraced that which most people live in "fear" of; either they "fear" not fitting in with common society (and how much better would society be if everyone was a Satanist??), or going against the brainwashing that has made them into timid, god-fearing individuals.
We are confident in who we are, and that definately shows, I daresay most, if not all Satanists have taht "aura" about them; the way you view yourself has a lot to do with how you carry yourself.

#69004 - 01/11/05 02:58 PM Re: How did you deal with this? Pragmatism! [Re: Ceallach]
AnxiousBeing Offline

Quote:

We are confident in who we are, and that definately shows, I daresay most, if not all Satanists have taht "aura" about them; the way you view yourself has a lot to do with how you carry yourself.

I agree. This is called Lesser Magic. Paul Ekman, a reasercher with 32 years of experience and several other Universities have conducted experiments that has shown that when a subject manipulates their facial muscles more often than not shows many or all of the psychological correlates such as, increased finger temperature, increased heart rate, etc of the emotions associated with those facial expressions. EEG measures have even proven that manipulation of specific facial muscles are interconnected to the brain activity that controls emotions. One example of this is the same facial muscles that you use to make an expression of happiness results in exercising the same left frontal activity known to correspond with spontaneous joy. Have you ever felt tired but when becomming active found your body reproducing energy, this is also that same result.

We alter the perception of others by altering our body language first.

#69005 - 01/12/05 12:05 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: Bogey_Man]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
Quote:

Try saying that when you get fired for offending one too many people on the job. You offend people, they won't like you. If people don't like you, you make yourself vulnerable for attack.

I have always understood what I'm up against. Therefore, I don't wear the baphomet out all the time; I keep it tucked especially on very busy days where I know that the average customer is going to be an impatient and nasty bastard.

On the other hand, I don't flaunt and constantly say that I'm a Satanist and I'm generally on my best behavior. And other than the few people that don't like it, a lot of the people that ask me about it ask me "are you a black metal person?" and I wind up engaging in a converstation about the black metal scene and our favorite bands.

There are a few employees and coworkers there that do NOT like me at all. But then again, those are the same people that haven't liked me long before I began wearing my medallion out on the job. At least I am on good terms with 90% of the store managers, and I'm on excellent terms with the head manager of my particular department.

The bottom line is, if a manager gives me a verbal warning and tells me to keep the baphomet concealed I would consider myself lucky for not getting shafted, and I would be a complete idiot to go against the grain in that situation. After all, I need to make money just like everyone else.

#69006 - 01/12/05 01:40 AM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
Solomon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cincinnati
Be calm, collected, and know what you are saying. This is usually the best defense in this situation. Also, never forget where you are. If you sat down with the lady and went into details about Satanism, would it be worth the effort. I doubt it.

Hell, realize very few people even know what a baphomet is. Would it do any good to go into detail of Amon, the Preisthood of Mendes dating back to ancient Egypt, or the Phi Ratio inherent in the pentagram? How about the word "Leviathan" in Hebrew counter-clockwise around the star, and its origins? Again, probably not.

The title "satanist" draws upon fear when seen through profane eyes. Only those who took time to educate themselves on the subject truly know a "Satanist"

So make sure your actions speak louder than anything you do. You will always run into idiots, the world is bursting at the seams with them. Those who know of my affiliation found out because I let them, and only after they posed little to no threat to me financially, professionally, or personally.

Choose your battles wisely, the fight may not always be worth the outcome.

#69007 - 01/12/05 12:13 PM Re: How did you deal with this? [Re: PanzerWolf]
YoungSoulRebel Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Hey, maybe I'm out of place for mentioning this, and for all I know, it was already mentioned by somebody else, but seriously now, if you found that discourse irritating enough to mention that you found it irritating here, what kept you from requesting that this woman leave your office immediately after you told her that it was none of her business? What compelled you to make it continue?

Cos, see, unless I think it could possibly go somewhere productive (which, if your transcript is even very close to accurate, this woman was obviously not going to let it go anywhere productive) I usually just say "Look dude, this is none of your business and unless you actually have something productive or at least amusing to contribute to my day, I'd like you to leave [my office]."

As you said, she doesn't work directly with you -- there was no reason to even keep things any more than civil.

"Usually when you ask somebody in college why they are there, they'll tell you it's to get an education. The truth of it is, they are there to get the degree so that they can get ahead in the rat race. Too many college radicals are two-timing punks."
- Abbie Hoffman

"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I'm happy. I can't figure it out. What am I doing right?"
- Charles M Schulz

“One of the great things about young people is that they do question, that they do care deeply about justice, and they they have open minds.”
- Zack de la Rocha

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12019 Members
73 Forums
43828 Topics
405224 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements