Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#73165 - 01/15/05 01:02 AM "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods"
Serpens Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Western New York
Much to my annoyance, I am hearing this time and time again in discussions of Satanism. People write Satanism off as a legion of unhappy mopers whom cluster together and think they can cast magic spells like something out of Dungeons and Dragons players' basement fantasy.

I like to call myself a reasonable man. I considered the statement (Let us ignore the ignorance pertaining to what Satanists deem magic to be). Was it true? Am I just an unhappy moper who hated life and became a Satanist to spite the world?

I declare no. I admit that I was raised in a single parent household. But one must wonder; if a troubled childhood is what causes one to become a Satanist, then why aren't there more of us? The last I heard, something along the lines of 70% of today's children have what is deemed a dysfunctional home. Whether or not that percentage was pulled out of the ass of an analyst, one needs only look at society to see the misery.

Unhappiness with one's life causes one to seek happiness. When a person is not happy in a society defined by religions of the right-hand path, he or she is inclined to seek happiness from another source. Now, if this person is intelligent in that they don't limit their search for happiness by pre-assumptions (ex. "Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism are the only paths to happiness because they are the only ones I see on the table") then this person is a cantidate for a "conversion" to Satanism or Free-thought Atheism.

#73166 - 01/15/05 01:18 AM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Serpens]
fiftythirdspirit Offline

I had a very happy childhood with two wonderful parents. My life is what I have made it and it has been a very good life. I am a born Satanist. I never had doubts growing up how I felt about myself and others around me. I do not feel that one's upbringing has much to do with it. I know from my own life that it is what is inside or inherent in a person that has everything to do with being a Satanist.

Personally, I don't care what "the other" people say--because "I" know what is fact.

Hail Satan!

#73167 - 01/15/05 04:32 AM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Serpens]
Grima Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Well this is true in my case but instead of complaining and trying to get sympathy from others I took matters into my own hands. I found Satanism.
Most people with troubled childhoods tend to end up as born-again christians and suddenly see the love everywhere. I know quite a few old friends of mine who turned to christianity because of their 'trauma's'. All they do is whine and complain and try and get sympathy from whoever will give it to them. They tried to convert me too and the phrase that jesus loves me got very annoying, very fast.
Instead of looking back I moved forward. I have put my past behind me and feel better then ever. So I am not an unhappy troubled person, in the contrary, I am content with my life as a Satanist.

#73168 - 01/15/05 07:48 AM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Grima]
Quija Offline

Loc: Germany
Since traumas of the past shape us to no small degree, I believe everything I've been through was good for me, because I like the person I've become.

#73169 - 01/15/05 08:39 AM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Serpens]
PWG Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: MI
"Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods"

This statement is an all-inclusive, dismissive phrase used by those who are either too lazy or too inept to understand Satanism.

It reeks of pop psychology at its worst. It paints the picture that a Satanist is that typically moping "goth" teenager waiting to shoot up a school.

Of course, this is not the case.

I didn't have a troubled childhood. I had both parents around, an active imagination, and never ran afoul of the law.

You need not waste your time with anyone who would tout this mindset as truth.

#73170 - 01/15/05 08:54 AM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Serpens]
simasud666 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New York, USA
I knew what I was from early on.

My parents had their problems but did not follow me on through life.

I made sure at an early age to isolate my self from my families problems so I would go and hang out in the woods with my animal friends.

I just learned that there was more to life than the adults were showing me.

As a teenager, I found my own way in life too and watched always from the outside looking in.

I did not like what I seen in my own household so I made my self-scarce to not be in the way.

I found music, dance, and other things to keep me busy as well as my animals, which I learned from an early age to watch, listen too, and enjoy.

As an adult, I also went my way to the beat of a different drum.

I was who I was because of me not because of my parents.

I never had to look for love because I did not have it which was quit the contrary because I had loving Grandparent and other relatives that did love me.

I never searched for love either because it always found me.

This is why I can say, “I was born a Satanist and not made”.

I was responsible for who I was and who I have become. No one did this for me but me and I will continue on this path until the end of time.

#73171 - 01/15/05 09:17 AM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Quija]
Grima Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:

Since traumas of the past shape us to no small degree, I believe everything I've been through was good for me, because I like the person I've become.

Very true but I think I would have turned out as a Satanist no matter what my past experiences would have been.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger seems appliable here.

#73172 - 01/15/05 10:03 AM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Grima]
Bault Offline

I agree, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger..
I've been through some hefty traumatic experiences, I'll spare the whining and say that instead of falling apart, I'm actually stronger from my past, and I feel at Home with the CoS in my life, and yadda yadda...Anyways, trauma or not, I've grown and I realize that the Satanic Belief mirrors my own in many ways, and intrigues me in others.

#73173 - 01/15/05 10:16 AM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Serpens]
Entity Offline

CoS Reverend

Loc: Avalon UK
"Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods"

Identifying with generalisations (particularly one as common as "people") seems anathema to the Satanist. In my opinion, those who feel a need to create a defence against such statements have a personal agenda which is independent of Satanic philosophy.

I am generalising, though.

Nothing is better than to live according to one's taste. - François Villon

Test Everything. Believe Nothing.

#73174 - 01/15/05 10:45 AM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Serpens]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
First of all, "troubled childhood" can mean anything from wetting the bed to being in juvy. What the hell does that mean anyway? I think that since Satanists generally have a hard time fitting in with what society deems the "norm", we tend to be labeled, at best different, at worst deviant personalities. So, yeah probably a lot of Satanists had "troubled childhoods" but that just means we didn't fit in to society. Personally I would rather not fit in to society, thank you very much. Did I have a "troubled childhood"? Depends on what you mean by that. I wasn't like all the other kids that for sure, but I made it to adulthood without being incarcerated. I had two loving parents who made their mistakes and thought like the rest of the herd.

I have another question though, why do most people assume that if you have only one parent in the household you have a troubled childhood? There are at least 50% of families these days that at one time or another were a single parent household. Doesn’t seem like it is all that unusual does it? That would be just another damn stereotype. Single family home = troubled childhood=Satanist. Riiiight

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#73175 - 01/15/05 01:16 PM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Serpens]
Leo_V Offline
CoS Member

Anyone making a such a generalized statement like that does not deserve a reply.

Much as I would like to explain the truth, they would not understand, or even accept it, because the statement considers Satanists to be a group.

Satanists are not a group. A grouping of individuals, maybe.

#73176 - 01/15/05 02:13 PM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Serpens]
Warlock Rikard Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: NJ
Quote:

Much to my annoyance, I am hearing this time and time again in discussions of Satanism

Perhaps you should refrain from engaging in these discussions if you wish not to be annoyed by them?

Screamin Demon Fiery Foods:
Purveyors of the Most Sinister Hot Sauces & Fiery Foods Since 2001
www.screamindemonfieryfoods.com

#73177 - 01/15/05 02:28 PM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: dragondancer]
Warlock Rikard Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: NJ
Quote:

First of all, "troubled childhood" can mean anything from wetting the bed to being in juvy. What the hell does that mean anyway?

In today’s pussified world, it could mean having to deal with even the most minor of problems from time to time.

Quote:

I think that since Satanists generally have a hard time fitting in with what society deems the "norm", we tend to be labeled, at best different, at worst deviant personalities.

Speak for yourself, as there is no “WE” here.

Secondly, there is a huge difference between not agreeing with society and not fitting in.

Not only do I personally fit in, I also continually manipulate My immediate surroundings and those within it according to My Will, as do many other Satanists deserving of the title.

Screamin Demon Fiery Foods:
Purveyors of the Most Sinister Hot Sauces & Fiery Foods Since 2001
www.screamindemonfieryfoods.com

#73178 - 01/15/05 03:19 PM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Serpens]
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Oregon
I agree with PWG. This is a snap judgement, a stereotype, a dismissive escape used by people who aren't necessarily frightened to death of the word "Satan" as your nuttier Christians might be.

People seem to be generally dismissive of everything these days, I find. Apathy and dissociation are "cool". Many people, especially young people I've noticed, seem afraid to associate themselves with anything for fear of being mocked in the same way that they mock others. It's "cool" to make fun of everything and everyone. It's "uncool" to take anything seriously, to be passionate about anything that isn't safe pop culture kitsch. It's more acceptable to collect Tiffany records or to be obsessed with some 1970s television show -- because they are "so bad that they're good" -- than it is to demonstrate a sincere interest in something that you truly feel to be worthwhile.

The idea that Satanists are all geeks that sit around in cheap costumes playing role playing games fits into this desensitized kitsch worldview quite nicely. If we are similar to Trekkies or furries or goths or geeks or people who collect vintage lunchboxes--they can deal with that. These people, many of them "hipsters", are so afraid to take anything seriously (and thereby endure the same dismissive derision of their peers) that the idea that someone is actually passionate about something, that someone takes something seriously, is totally alien to them.

These may not be the same sort of people who you're talking about. But they certainly exist, and they are quite dismissive. My questions for them are:

"What actually interests you?"
"What do you identify with?"
"What is important to you?"
"What are you passionate about?"
"What do you take seriously?"

I think many of them would be hard pressed to answer. They hide behind vapid post-modern irony; all of their pleasures are "guilty pleasures".

The cd I'm listening to right now has a song begins with the lyric:

"People who hide are afriad."

These people are empty.

They are dead inside and they care about nothing.

They may imagine themselves outsiders, but in truth they are just part of another herd minded social group whose members fear being singled out.

They are afraid.

*end sermon*

One more thing...

The idea that we are dysfunctional people from dysfunctional families (what does that mean, anyway) is completely bogus. Personally, I have a great relationship with my parents and all of my siblings. They don't necessarily share all of my interests or approve of everything I do. But we talk often and laugh together about this crazy thing called life. My family is important to me, and I enjoy being part of their lives. Is that dysfunctional? Hardly.

#73179 - 01/15/05 04:06 PM What we take seriously. [Re: Rev_Malebranche]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
And you know, above all, it's not just that we take something seriously that boggles people (people who are afraid are taking something seriously) -- but that we take fun seriously, take our enjoyment of life seriously. "Having fun" is seen as the most trivial, and at the same time the most revealing or exposing thing you can do (that's the root of their fear); and it is, which is why it's important. Having fun is supposed to be easy, but most people would much rather fall into the trap of seeking the approval of others. Having fun is the hardest thing in the world; that's why we have to take it so seriously!

(It's funny that we're the ones who are our own gods, we're the ones who proclaim that human beings should be serious about themselves, and yet we're the ones who know not to take ourselves so seriously.)

This seems so straightforward to me that I can't understand why we've already spent so much time talking about it in this thread.

Edited by reprobate (01/15/05 04:08 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12218 Members
73 Forums
43998 Topics
406132 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements