Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#73180 - 01/15/05 04:29 PM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: fiftythirdspirit]
x9x Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Flanders - Europe
Satanism came into my life for the first time through loud and extreme music, that was 20 years ago,and 10 years later i read the satanic bible for the first time, realizing that everything in the book seemed very normal to me, this is what i am, and this is what i'm gonna call myself with pride untill the day i die. I had a troubled youth and was a school drop-out with no future in sight, my family hated my guts and people around me kept on saying that i was a born loser with no future, in the meantime i started up my own company that i'm running pretty succesfully and i'm living the life that no-one believed i would be living, so i look back and laugh now, this is my ultimate revenge...everything i do now, i fought and struggled for..i don't care and i don't mind if i'm a satanist with a troubled childhood,it's a truth. It didn't kill me in the very end, it only made me a strong men with alot of lessons learned. Reading in the satanic bible is like looking in the mirror, it's a reflection of myself. Hail Satan!

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
|| Benjamin Franklin ||

The lack of money is the root of all evil.
|| George Bernard ||

#73181 - 01/15/05 06:18 PM Re: What we take seriously. [Re: reprobate]
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Oregon
Oh.. I think they know how to have fun. We may be talking about different types of people--the folks I'm talking about are anyhing but wallflowers. But they do have fun within a certain set of boundaries. Some of these people are actually laugh riots, and quite fun to be around. They'll do all kinds of nutty things... What they are afraid of (and many only vauguely realize this) is taking life seriously. And I don't mean "seriously" in a sullen, intense way--but in an honest and sincere way. They'd read "Valley of the Dolls" because it's trashy and fun, but they'd avoid a really meaningful book because it's "too deep." It's almost a tabloid sensibility. Much like many Satanists, these hipsters love to laugh at the vulgar foibles of man, but unlike Satanists, they lack any sincere interests. Perhaps my use of the word "serious" could in some cases be replaced by "sincere." I can be one of the most crass people you'll ever meet--but there is something beyond that. I've just had many of these kinds of people as friends and aquaintences over the years, and when you actually try to have a discussion with them that is sincere and revealing...they become uncomfortable quickly.

I think it really is a modern phenomenon. We live in a world where everything is so sensationalized, trivialized. People are desensitized to the point where they don't know how to express emotions. To do so seems too revealing; it makes one quite vulnerable--to actually care about something. I think that because Satanic imagery seems edgy and hip to some people, many Satanists probably find themselves among these folks who find it somehow ironic. Like The Church of the Subgenius. Hip. Underground. Fun. Ironic. But when they realize that you're sincere... they have to find a way to write it off. Or they avoid the topic--which is fine. But a little sad. They just assume that you're emotionally damaged in some way, because Satanism as a worldview is so hard-edged--so NOT a warm fuzzy, like the post 70s/80s/90s ironic humor that they enjoy. I have a good friend who thinks it's hysterical to ask, whenever I mention Satanism, "that's those people you play D&D with, right?" He knows full well what the CoS is--but it's fun and easy for him to laugh it off...because the truth is a little unsettling.

You and I both know that Satanists do know how to have fun.

I like to say that Satanists should laugh louder and cry harder than other people. Life is an intense, real experience; affected people who shut it out and hide behind snickers and crass humor are just watching the movie.

#73182 - 01/15/05 06:27 PM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Warlock Rikard]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

Speak for yourself, as there is no “WE” here.

Point taken.

Quote:

Secondly, there is a huge difference between not agreeing with society and not fitting in.

Not only do I personally fit in, I also continually manipulate My immediate surroundings and those within it according to My Will, as do many other Satanists deserving of the title.

I was referring to fitting in as a child, as in troubled childhood. Not many children have the thought process to be able to agree or disagree with society, at that point it is more of a fit in or not situation.

HS!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#73183 - 01/15/05 06:49 PM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Serpens]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Of course, what these people fail to recognize is that all kinds of people have troubled childhoods or adolescenes.

Just listen to almost any born-again Christian's testimony, and you'll hear SOMETHING sad, tragic, and juicy about when they were younger. I have never heard a "happy" testimonial. But, no one says Christians are just troubled people who had bad childhoods or adolescenes.

So, there's obviously a double standard at work there.

As for me, overall, I had a very nice childhood---lots of ability to play and be creative, two very caring parents, a warm home, food in my belly, and excellent health care. The only dark spots on my childhood are the episodes of teasing, humiliation, and bullying by fellow classmates and certain teachers in middle and elementary school.

Oh, and Jack, does this more or less illustrate what you're describing?(Scroll to first post. ) http://www.satannet.com/lttd/showflat.ph...true#Post232489

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#73184 - 01/15/05 07:16 PM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: TrojZyr]
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Oregon
Quote:

Oh, and Jack, does this more or less illustrate what you're describing?(Scroll to first post. ) http://www.satannet.com/lttd/showflat.ph...true#Post232489

Kind of, yes. I think the kind of cynicism you're talking about lays the foundation for the kind of cynicism I'm talking about.

#73185 - 01/15/05 09:18 PM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: TrojZyr]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
Quote:

Just listen to almost any born-again Christian's testimony, and you'll hear SOMETHING sad, tragic, and juicy about when they were younger. I have never heard a "happy" testimonial. But, no one says Christians are just troubled people who had bad childhoods or adolescenes.

Of course not.

Admitting that Christians are damaged people, even after being ... *cough* ... saved, would completely undermine the whole operating principle behind it. Christianity is bankrolled on personal misery and internalised masochism. The whole "Adamic sin" principle is like a "shitty childhood" experience that's been handed down to generation after generation to placate peoples need to make excuses for their own mediocrity.

But this is simply stating the blatantly obvious.

It doesn't matter what kind of childhood someone has had, it's what that individual does with the present that matters. People that make generalisations along the lines of "Satanists are just attention-whores." really don't deserve a reply. In fact, like the "How would you deal with this situation" thread, these people deserve to be ignored to satisfy their own masochism.

It's the same emotional motivation that evangelicals use to justify their religion. If they are loud enough, and rude enough, someone will eventually come along and proverbially punch them in the nose, thereby justifying their loud boorishness. It is in this sense, these types of people are baiting a Satanist to confirm their own predjudice that Satanists are just a bunch scummy punks with bad attitudes. Because if the opposite were true, that Satanists are productive, respectable, useful, and successful people. It not only destroys their "Goodguy Badge", but leaves them no excuse for their own, now glaringly obvious, shortcomings.

Like when a female friend of mine said at the end of the movie Swordfish; "Wait a minit! The Bad Guy isn't supposed to win!"

Best way to show them up, is to ignore them, and then outperform them. Nothing hurts more like a blow to their already under-inflated egos.

Be the custard. Let them hammer nails all they want.

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#73186 - 01/16/05 12:17 AM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Serpens]
Focalor Offline

Hey now, I'm a depressed mopey asshole with a traumatic childhood. Mommy didn't hug me enough. I'm 2 pounds overwieght, I WANT TO DIE!!! So instead I became a Satanist.

Uhh, for those of you who need the explaination, YES, I'm being sarcastic.

Personally, I think you're wrong when you say...
Quote:

Unhappiness with one's life causes one to seek happiness

From what I've seen of the general population, when they are unhappy (and 90% of the time they create they own unhappy circumstances to begin with) they revert to self-destructive behaviors such as drinking, drugging, and mental problems. Yes, mental instabilities are self-inflicted sometimes.

Personally I don't concern myself with the wanderings of others, I don't care, I don't worry, it's not my problem. Each person has to choose his own lifestyle. A persons religion means very little to me. I have a good friend that I work with who is a Jehovah's Witness. I think for a group (sect, cult, branch, whatever) that reads the holy bible, they are ass backwards. However, he's a genuine person, he's courteous and honest and has a good work ethic like me which is why we have a mutual respect for one another. I'd rather work with him than the several atheists I've ever worked with. We do talk about religion every now and then, but usually we leave the subject alone since we differ so much in that area.

http://focalor.tastyspleen.net

#73187 - 01/16/05 01:08 AM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Serpens]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
I disagree with the fact that all Satanists had rough childhoods or troubled pasts. Now, I must say that I did not have the 'perfect' life growing up, but I did not get involved in Satanism based off of that alone. I will admit that there were times I was unhappy when I was younger, but I didn't always sit around and mope in a stupor and get all fussy about it. I learned my lessons from when I was younger that simply nothing fails like prayer, no god is going to get you out of any troubled situation that you have created yourself, and to think that would only set yourself up for disappointment and failure.

What separated me from the many peers that I grew up around was that I kept to myself more, I liked solitude a bit better, hated trends and mindless conformity, and did things because I enjoyed them, not because I wanted to be accepted or in fear of getting picked on.

Looking back at my childhood, I have no regrets about any of the decisions I have made on my own. Have I just relied on parental advice, heresay, gossip and rumors from the mindless peers I went to school with, I never would be the person that I am to this day.

#73188 - 01/16/05 02:29 AM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Entity]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here
hear, hear

-gypsy-

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#73189 - 01/16/05 02:00 PM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Serpens]
Rectangle Offline

"Religionists have kept their followers in line by suppressing their egos. By making their followers feel inferior, the awsomeness of their god is insured. Satanism encourages its members to develop a good strong ego because it gives them the self-respect necessary for a vital existence in this life."

-Anton Szandor Lavey pg. 94 TSB

#73190 - 01/16/05 04:03 PM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Felstorm]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

You got it--on all counts.

Exactamundo, as they say.

A sad past can indicate the causes of a damaged psyche, but a sad past is not a flat excuse for a damaged psyche. A sad past does not automatically produce a fiend, just like a perfect past does not always produce a saint. And, I daresay most Satanists, at least once they've grown up, do better things with what happened to them--for good or ill--as kids or adolescents than many other members of society.

But, of course, society will put different interpretations on presents that are wrapped differently on the outside, even if the contents are all the same. That's to be expected by now, but it's still intriguing to observe at times.

#73191 - 01/16/05 05:00 PM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: TrojZyr]
Serpens Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Western New York
I must thank all of you for your excellent replies. Whether you deem what you said as scathingly obvious or not, I am sure I am not the only one that values your thoughts.

Hail me, hail you, hail Satan

#73192 - 01/16/05 08:03 PM Thank you. [Re: Rectangle]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
It is always wise to return to the source.

#73193 - 01/17/05 12:40 AM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Serpens]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Well thank you, Sinister. Glad to be of service.

(And yes, I do I tend to state the obvious or the logical, although it does actually come in handy at times, because some present may not have considered those same ideas yet, and others sometimes forget or get off track. And other times, I'm just a horrendous pain in the butt. . You get the idea. )

But yes, thank you for the compliment.

#73194 - 01/17/05 06:47 AM Re: "Satanists are just people who had troubled childhoods" [Re: Serpens]
Dragonplayroom Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California-USA
Im a Satanist cause I chose to be one regardless of my past.Yes I had alot of very bad issues but I grew strong and went on with my life. Due to the so called right hand path they tend to dwell, make you feel wrothless so you can surrender to the so call God of mercy because they feel you did something to provoke it or make you look like you enjoyed it. I on the other hand hated it with a passion. And don't wish this on anybody. For people that do thats there indulgence not mine. I went through many ways to over come it. And I feel much much better cause I went forward in my life and don't look back. The CoS and my life style is my own choosing. And if and when I do get with someone with kids I know damn well I will not repeat my personal past history. My past is dead and buryed. I reborn myself not the christian God.

Edited by LKRice (01/17/05 07:52 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12280 Members
73 Forums
43880 Topics
404439 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements