Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#83018 - 03/06/05 10:07 AM Re: Curious about the Queens hate crimes case [Re: vvreporter]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
Aside from the questions you posed, I think this entire debate displays the diversity and individualism that is the defining factor of Satanism (black nail polish be damned.)

Many who answered also had the rare and wonderful ability to say "I'm not sure," which is a hallmark of wisdom, and an indicator of genuine thought.

The fact that we don't generally welcome victim status in order to promote either ourselves or an agenda shows a level of integrity that few, if any, can match.

Welcome to the place where martyrs don't stand a chance.

Y~

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#83019 - 03/07/05 12:01 PM Re: Curious about the Queens hate crimes case [Re: vvreporter]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
vvreporter,

I recieved your message, but had a glitch when responding.

YES to everything.

Feel free to contact me via email: priestofmendes@yahoo.com
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#83020 - 03/07/05 12:11 PM Re: Curious about the Queens hate crimes case [Re: Svengali]
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Oregon
Ditto. Please contact me at jack_malebranche@yahoo.com

#83022 - 03/08/05 08:31 PM Re: Curious about the Queens hate crimes case [Re: vvreporter]
Magister_Harris Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Long Island
Quote:

So are you saying that if a jury deems the defendants not guilty, it should be seen as having nothing to do with jurors' perceptions of Satanism? Don't you think popular perceptions of Satanism will come into play here? If so, how might they?

If members of the jury are able to properly comprehend their job, then neither "popular" (meaning "inaccurate") or correct perceptions of Satanism would come into play. Jurors will simply look at the evidence and decide if the defendants are guilty or not. However, as Satanists, we recognize the inability of many people to let go of any misinformation they may have been fed over the course of their own lifetime. So, it is quite probable that the members of this jury will prejudice themselves.

Will it affect many of us at the end of the day? No. I feel that the outcome of this case will only have real meaning to Mr. Romano. Satanists know how to adapt and change within the confines of this very dynamic world in which we live. And while I feel that the law should apply to us just as it applies to any other "minority" group, if, for whatever reason, it doesn't, we'll be just fine. The way we are perceived by the masses is virtually irrelevant. Most of the masses don't know who we are. They only know of a word... a word that they lack any real understanding of, and because of that, they fear it. That word, of course, is Satanism.
Host - Hate Speech Radio
http://www.hatespeechradio.com

#83023 - 03/09/05 06:25 AM Re: Curious about the Queens hate crimes case [Re: Magister_Harris]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
Quote:

So are you saying that if a jury deems the defendants not guilty, it should be seen as having nothing to do with jurors' perceptions of Satanism? Don't you think popular perceptions of Satanism will come into play here? If so, how might they?

While one can never underestimate the stupidity of the masses, modern jury selection techniques should prevent such a thing.

Also, just becuase we neither accept nor embrace the en vogue status of "victim" doesn't mean there isn't an occasional situation where prejudice effects us. How we deal with this is as different and defining as our distaste for the status in the first place.

Personally, I get pissed when tax money is used to perpetuate discrimination: When police or any law enforcement hires "cult experts" to train those involved with public safety, and our tax money pays for misinformation, that can cause genuine harm. I am researching a woman who trains cops and likens Satanists to al Queda. Her reasoning is religious, she feels we are linked by a spiritual error, but that isn't made clear in her teaching. I don't want to bump into the cop who lost a buddy on 9/11 and has taken this woman's class, and I sure don't want my tax dollars sponsoring it.

I get pissed when those in authority haphazardly use Satanic terms as a derogatory when explaining genuine bad acts that have no connection to Satanism. Its a cheap and easy shot that perpetuates myths under the guise of genuine authority.

However, if this effects me it is my responsibility to adapt and overcome, or deal with it. If I choose to address these issues I do it on behalf of me and mine, not for some "movement." I get to measure my success in dealing with these things by the quality of my life.

Y~

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#83024 - 03/09/05 08:34 PM Re: Curious about the Queens hate crimes case [Re: vvreporter]
DBlackthorne Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: The Infernal Empire
In my opinion, I think it should be established that responsibility for the personal behavior of a member of the Church of Satan, or by one who agrees with our principles, rests solely on the shoulders of that particular individual. It is important to determine what is appropriate for the given environment, and to utilize one's own wisdom to gain the most satisfying experience. Our philosophy demands self-determination and personal responsibility.

It should be noted that Satanists practice the principle of reciprocation, and adhere to the adage: "When walking in open territory, bother no-one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop, If he does not stop, destroy him."(11th Satanic Rule of The Earth, Anton Szandor LaVey). We are law-abiding, and will pursue justice through whatever rational and legal means that are available. This "destruction" - a dramatic way to frame the idea of victory over the assailant - may be achieved through self-defense either verbally, through ritual psychodrama and symbolism, and even via legally appropriate physical force, until a sense of justice is attained. Justice for the Satanist is based on the principle that the punishment should fit in kind and degree the crime - Lex Talionis.

If someone attacks an individual based upon a 'hatred' of their religion, then all legal means necessary should be taken to punish the perpetrator, regardless of which particular religion is involved. State retribution should be swift for any unwarranted attack, but now, since there is specification for so-called "hate crimes", a Satanist should take advantage of this option as well. I think the obvious reason why this case is garnering so much attention is because of the professed philosophy of Mr. Romano. It seems to be a first in legal history.

Overall, the incident seems to fit the definition of a "hate crime," even though the defense attorney would seek to put a spin on it so as to not have his clients face such a charge, which would carry a heavier sentence. Was it determined whether the thugs were members of a Christian church? Imagine that - then it may be considered a "Christian crime".

Such events just go to show the types which are attracted to that form of belief system, who might use it as a convenient excuse for aberrant behavior. I am sure these cretins will meet with due punishment, via the legal system as well as the ritual chamber, and being that they so richly deserve it, I am sure Mr. Romano will channel his rage to achieve satisfying and justified vengeance.

However, Satanists think it important to be aware of one's environment, and adapt accordingly in order to avoid unnecessary negative interaction. If one chooses to dress in an overtly theatrical manner, one should be prepared for possible reactions from the herd and be prepared to defend one's position if need be. Donning an inverted cross in a largely Catholic neighborhood is probably not using one's best judgment, especially if you understand that there might be some aggressive Christian bullies about.

With very few worthy exceptions, Satanists tend to avoid ostentatious types, simply because such a display is considered to be pretentious. Unless theindividual is some sort of performance artist on stage, it would appear rather inappropriate, irrelevant, and even ridiculous, giving outsiders theimpression that members of the Church of Satan are just involved for shock value. The axiom, "There is a time and place for everything" applies here.

* {Posted with permission from Magistra Nadramia}.

#83025 - 03/26/05 02:24 AM Re: Curious about the Queens hate crimes case [Re: vvreporter]
Starr Offline

Loc: Ny, New York
NOTE: Only Moderators and members of the Priesthood are allowed to reply to topics posted here. All other replies will be deleted.

Edited by MagisterParadise (03/26/05 02:55 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12218 Members
73 Forums
43999 Topics
406137 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements