Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#85802 - 07/28/06 04:10 PM Fear Of Girls--"Eighth-level" pole-smokers [Re: LadyVera]
Quiddity Offline
CoS Member

Loc: CA
That was a great film.
I think they ARE both going to hit "eighth level"--with eachother.

#85803 - 07/28/06 04:13 PM Re: Fear Of Girls [Re: Lillith]
spyderJ Offline

Loc: Surf City USA
Yes, the online people. I really do not understand why people pay money for imaginary objects they can use in Cyberspace that has a very limited lifespan. Playing these online games too much can lead to bills not getting paid and other things- that's foolish.

However, online communities are more similiar to the contained environments that Herr Doktor speaks about in the future- that we have now. An intelligent mind knows the difference between entertainment and reality. I never play these online games- i do not have time. Most of my time is spent making money- not enjoying entertainment- but there is a time when entertainment is a necessity. Balance.

Personally, my favs are games you can play and then be done. I don't have time to spend, 'building characters' in a fantasy world. If I could live forever I would enjoy those pleasures, though. Because they are pleasures- that's why millions of people do them and they make more money than movies. It is always pleasurable to live in a fantasy world- especially of your own creation.

So yes- these online guys- i agree with you. But I do *understand what the attraction is. I don't judge them for it, unless they are lazy slouches who do nothing but that. There are many of them.

If you are a teenage boy and you have a chance to kill dragons in a fantasy world, or watch TV, which is the better choice?

Many here would say, 'read a book'. Books get read and then you are done. Teenagers do not always have money to buy new ones (that they would like to read- that are interesting). What happens when all of those things that you should do beside are not available? Sit quietly- Or seek adventure, as all teenage boys crave?

They sort themselves out like anything else. Over time. Some become bums, others get rich designing video games for the masses.
‡§ףּλĐΣЯ‡ Disclaimer: The views expressed by me may not be the same views expressed by any other member of the planet Earth. Just pretend it says, 'I think' in front of everything I say, and don't try to take anything too seriously.

#85804 - 07/28/06 04:14 PM Re: WTF? "The meek shall inherit the earth" [Re: Quiddity]
Soleil Noir Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Freudenabteilung
Quote:

This is better than watching Family Guy.

Just to bring some more humor to this thread, these clips are hilarious.

Reno 911 - Role Playing Game Nerds

and

Reno 911 - Busting a Dungeons and Dragons Nerd

#85805 - 07/28/06 04:17 PM Re: WTF? "The meek shall inherit the earth" [Re: Soleil Noir]
spyderJ Offline

Those are the funniest! I love Reno 911!
I love Family Guy too. I have the whole first season.

But I dont' to seek knowldege in Family Guy, just like i do not seek knowledge in Coca Cola (which I love too).

Edited by spyderJ (07/28/06 04:17 PM)
‡§ףּλĐΣЯ‡ Disclaimer: The views expressed by me may not be the same views expressed by any other member of the planet Earth. Just pretend it says, 'I think' in front of everything I say, and don't try to take anything too seriously.

#85806 - 07/28/06 04:17 PM Re: My Charmed Long-staff [Re: LadyVera]
Lillith Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
ok, I may sound contradictory, but I much prefer reading a good book and getting lost in the world the writer has created. I enjoy many different types of books and prefer reading over watching T.V. The point I was making earlier was just that D&D and other gamer type stuff is not always bad.. that's it..
Thanks

Hail!

Lillith

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell” - Oscar Wilde

“If the devil does not exist, and man has therefore created him, he has created him in his own image and likeness” - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

“The devil himself had probably redesigned Hell in the light of information he had gained from observing airport layouts” - Anthony Price

"The only difference between saints and sinners is that every saint has a past while every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde

"Man is certainly stark mad: He cannot make a flea, yet he makes gods by the dozens." – Montaigne

#85807 - 07/28/06 04:17 PM Re: My Charmed Long-staff [Re: spyderJ]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

You're apparently taking personal opinions of members as something related to Church dogma. The Church of Satan has nothing whatsoever to say about what kind of games its members play in their spare time.

I happen to think most modern music if really fucking retarded. However, this is no reflection on the status of those who listen to it, maybe they see something in it I don't.

It shouldn't be any surprise that Satanists have strong opinions as individuals and those opinions wildy diverge. All such opinions are essentially trivial, because I am under no delusion that anyone gives a damn what I think of their music, they'll listen to it all the same whether Mr. Leviathan approves or not.

Take it from this angle: what if you convince me that D&D is amazingly intelligent and worthwhile, and I blow a thousand dollars stocking up on all the gear and network to find a whole group of people to come over and play it with me? What if I decide that I absolutely must date an RPGer? What have you personally gained from this? Even if you did convince me of this I wouldn't likely send you any cash or even a "thank you" card.

When I discuss my opinions it's because I enjoy doing so for its own sake, not because I have anything to prove. Maybe someone else shares my interest and wants to compare notes, maybe someone will play a fool and let me amuse myself with them. As often as not I mention things I find interesting to pass along the knowledge to others, such as a book recommendation. Favors for friends.

I'm not sure what you think it implies about Satanism that some of our members think RPGs are stupid. I am pretty sure though, that there's no especially clever insight to be had from blanket statements or incorrect inferences.

Just a thought. I doubt anyone would object if you'd merely said you like RPGs, see nothing wrong with playing them, and don't find it contrary to Satanism. That much is hard to argue against.

#85808 - 07/28/06 04:20 PM Re: Fear Of Girls [Re: Lillith]
LadyVera Offline

Loc: Pacific NW
WarCrack... appropriate.

Sartori beat me to it though, she posted this before I did. That'll teach me to reply before reading all the others.

I will admit to being addicted to one, and only one game (or actually, the demo because the computer with the graphics card is only 900-odd MHz), and that is Battlefield 2. Well, maybe not addicted, I actually haven't played it in a couple weeks, but ya know. But that game is really more about hand/eye coordination and speed than anything. Thankfully most of the guys don't act like complete retards when I'm on mic as squad leader. (Once in a while you will come across the dork who's gotta try and impress you, and they're ALL shocked that I'm in my mid 20's. What can I say, I'm good at the game, and it's fun. )
"Those lucky enough to build a business out of a dream owe it to the world to be the caretakers of dreams. It is the duty of those who, through ingenuity, insight and hard work are able to make a dream a reality, to defend this right. To continue to build upon their ideas." -- Dr. h.c. Ferdinand Porsche

#85809 - 07/28/06 04:32 PM Re: My Charmed Long-staff [Re: Mr. Obsidian]
spyderJ Offline

Point taken.

#85810 - 07/28/06 04:41 PM Re: My Charmed Long-staff [Re: spyderJ]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
It seems to me you've had an eventful first couple of days here, Mr. SpyderJ.

In addition to all the wonderful stuff in this thread (I'm still trying to figure out exactly what inspired you to hijack the discussion into a hollow brag-fest about your alleged sex life and everyone else's alleged lack thereof), you have:

Performed "necromancy" on a long-dead thread;

Dispensed half-assed technical advice in response to a problem you obviously didn't even finish reading;

Gone off on a bizarre rant about secrecy and the invalidity of diagrams in response to a tech development story;

Treated us to a few "facts" you made up about spiders;

Gotten a post deleted by the moderators;

and finally,

Helpfully provided more technical advice which seems to consist of telling someone to put her hard disk in a CD-ROM drive.

Quote:

What can i say? Certainly I will get banned if I keep disagreeing and trying to stimulate interesting conversation about subjects which the older members here feel have been decided. I do not know why I try to expand on subjects that seem to be narrowly contained- my mistake.

Disagreement is fine, if you can back it up. Stimulating an interesting conversation is great. Expanding on subjects is one of the things discussion boards are for. But so far all you're doing is convincing everyone you're an idiot.

-Chess

#85811 - 07/28/06 04:59 PM Re: My Charmed Long-staff [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
spyderJ Offline

LeviatahnXIII.

Once again, you show your wisdom to us (that is not a snide remark). I am continually impressed with this- with you.

Perhaps this is the reason I post here. For lovely little gems of insight that you have- that I do not. Seriously. that is why I am here- intelligent people like you. I enjoy the discussion.

I don't know about the dogma thing. I study the philosophies of Anton La Vey. I live by them. Just trying to discuss this subject in an intelligent manner.

If this subject bored you all so much, you wouldn't feel the need to post here. Obviously, It is I who have struck a chord, I think. That so many people would be so quick to dismiss my many-faceted point of view interests me as well.

I do not beleive I am imprisoning anyone in this thread and forcing them to read it- i am ver surprised by all the reaction to what i say. I am not trying to annoy anyone- or convince anyone- i do not care if you beleive what i say about what I do- just as you mentioned you do not care what people say about you. But some people agree with me- and may find my insight refreshing.

Don't know what else to say about whether or not what I'm talking about is valid or not. To me, I think that is off-subject.

But then again, I am not a moderator here- you are. You make the rules. This is the only reason i mentioned getting banned in the first place. I'm not really getting very worked up about this- really you have no idea how insignificant this is to me. Not to belittle the board- i think Magister Ventrue is quite talented. But I don't take any of this discussion board so serious that I would ever get worked up about it.

I have enjoyed speaking about it with you, beleive it or not.
It is the only reason I am here- just as you said.
I like hearing your point of view. But I will disagree at every step if i feel the need- just as you will.

You have been here for many years, LevithanXIII. You have given me deep insight in the past and I always remember you for it. I am here to battle wits with you in a very friendly way- challenge your perceptions of what is- is that ok?

You do not have to participate if you do not want to- I am not making anyone- yet you feel the need here to oppose my ideas as well. That is fine with me. I welcome it. I appreciate your point of view. I will counter if I beleive something different, and i will tell you why- so you can make up your own mind. Nothing more. I do not preach. I only tell my perspective, and why.

#85812 - 07/28/06 05:00 PM Re: My Charmed Long-staff [Re: spyderJ]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:

I am talking about assuming women do not like D&D. I am talking about assuming women do not like fantasy- do not have imagination. If you think that- then you do not know women- plain and simple.

OOOOOOOOooooooooohhhhhhhhhh, so THAT's what you were getting at.

Well, neither Mr. Quiddity, nor myself, nor Warlock LeviathanXII, said any such thing.

Mr. Quiddity can no doubt speak for himself, but what I took him to be saying was that (most desirable) women don't like (stereotypical) role-playing game players. That's quite different from liking the games, see.

(As different as these propositions: a) women like cock; b) women like guys who like cock. Either or both may be true or false, but they're not the same thing.)

For my part, I played a number of games semi-regularly from the ages of 12 to 20 or so. I had a blast. And I've been thinking of getting back into it -- partly at the prompting of my girlfriend, who also used to play. But neither of us are the stereotype.

As for your general way of presenting yourself, I could give my opinion or my advice, but as you haven't asked I'll keep it to myself for now!

#85813 - 07/28/06 05:09 PM Re: My Charmed Long-staff [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
spyderJ Offline

Quote:

Take it from this angle: what if you convince me that D&D is amazingly intelligent and worthwhile, and I blow a thousand dollars stocking up on all the gear and network to find a whole group of people to come over and play it with me? What if I decide that I absolutely must date an RPGer? What have you personally gained from this? Even if you did convince me of this I wouldn't likely send you any cash or even a "thank you" card.

You see how brilliant this statement is?
You have such insight- i will not deny. And I know this.

But I like conversation more than 'was this a cool movie?' 'yeah it was cool'.

Isn't that the point of this board?

#85814 - 07/28/06 05:32 PM Re: My Charmed Long-staff [Re: spyderJ]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I think if I made a book or movie recommendation I'd give it more credit than saying "It was cool."

I'd say a quick look at my post history (ignoring posts made for moderation purposes) would reveal my reasons for being here. I entirely agree that intelligent discussions can be worthwhile, and it is correct that I need not even participate in this one. You'll note I didn't involve myself in this thread until I became aware of this little sidetrack. My reasoning was that maybe I can get this back on track. Maybe I can't and I'll have to fix it the hard way.

The "point" of this message board is, at bottom line, to amuse its owner. What anyone else gets out of it is their business.

#85815 - 07/28/06 05:57 PM Re: My Charmed Long-staff [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
spyderJ Offline

I agree and well said.

I did not mean to infer you were one of saying 'it was cool'.
Actually- i find you to be one one the most stimulating conversationalists.

This side track is gone- unless someone else pursues it- won't be me. I think I may have taken that one as far as it will go anyway.

#85816 - 07/28/06 06:00 PM Re: My Charmed Long-staff [Re: spyderJ]
LadyVera Offline

Loc: Pacific NW
I realize this post was more directed to an individual, and I'm sorry if I'm commiting a faux pas, but I just wanted to make a final comment on the whole... uh, whatever happened in this thread this morning thing.

I'm not a moderator, and definitely not one to do any "policing," but I think I can repeat what has already been stated by Warlock Leviathan and others: it's perfectly fine to share and debate opinions on this message board. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and for many Satanists is enjoyable and stimulating. But there's a difference between debating in a logical, polite manner and that is the ability to do it without feeling personally attacked or defensive, or feeling as though you must "come back" at someone in that manner.

If you've got a valid reason to debate an idea or opinion with someone here, it is basically understood that you can do so without expecting to get "banned" or attacked. But you can't get all defensive when they come back at you with their argument, which is apparently how you felt when this thread began. If you can't handle someone's opinion on something that is very sensitive to you personally, don't start a debate with them unless you can handle it without digressing into realms of subjective chest-thumping. Let their opinions be if that's the case. If you debate things you better be ready to be capable of handling things without feeling personally insulted.

Jumping from talking about how the stereotype of a RPG, D&D or LARP player being that they may lack sexual prowess to pulling out the measuring tape and chest thumping about your masculinity is somewhat of an example. It pays to be able to kind of hover and look at things objectively for a second before automatically leaping into defensive mode. It's good to give things a little thought before you dive into posting. And nobody's perfect - I post things that are a bit more harsh or contradictory than I intend on occasion. That's okay. It happens. Relax and move on. You're talking like you've been in these forums for years and you've only been here a day. Chill out and take it easy... this isn't a race.

I am here to battle wits with you in a very friendly way- challenge your perceptions of what is- is that ok?

Not to answer the question, but to pose some reading material: Blanche Barton's essay Sycophants Unite!, which someone (and I can't for the life of me remember who, my apologies) pointed out to a new member of the board several weeks ago on the issue of "debate." It was wonderful because I hadn't re-read that essay in more than a year, and it's a great refresher/reminder of when a "debate" starts to go downhill and becomes something that isn't constructive or useful.
"Those lucky enough to build a business out of a dream owe it to the world to be the caretakers of dreams. It is the duty of those who, through ingenuity, insight and hard work are able to make a dream a reality, to defend this right. To continue to build upon their ideas." -- Dr. h.c. Ferdinand Porsche

Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43979 Topics
406036 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements