Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#85682 - 03/16/05 07:23 PM Re: IDF wise to D&D [Re: Svengali]
Roen Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA
Quote:

D&D people are usually identifiable on sight, and almost always within minutes of their mouths running. There is a consistent aura of retardedness that clings to them like stale cigarette smoke. Only they are unaware of it.

I'd say exactly the same thing about 99% of the Christian/Islamic types that I meet.

Wait, now that I think on it for about a second -- I'd say the same thing about 99% of the people I meet everyday, period.

#85683 - 03/16/05 07:33 PM Re: IDF wise to D&D [Re: Roen]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>I'd say exactly the same thing about 99% of the
>>Christian/Islamic types that I meet.

I'm sure it doesn't help that they too read stories about magic and weird creatures from a fantasy book, and are furthermore "detached from reality and suscepitble to influence"! I say if you're going to ban D&D, you have to ban the Bible too.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#85684 - 03/16/05 07:53 PM Re: IDF wise to D&D [Re: Bill_M]
Trendkillers Offline

How awesome that would be, have a military official come out with the claim that, well, those religious types: "Military action requires swift, strong thinking, and Christians just don't have strong skills."

#85685 - 03/16/05 10:34 PM Re: IDF wise to D&D [Re: Bill_M]
Roen Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I'm sure it doesn't help that they too read stories about magic and weird creatures from a fantasy book, and are furthermore "detached from reality and susceptible to influence"! I say if you're going to ban D&D, you have to ban the Bible too.

Absolutely. Same traits, same treatment. It's only fair, after all.

#85686 - 03/17/05 04:40 AM Re: IDF wise to D&D [Re: Bill_M]
hickeyarmy Offline

Loc: US
I second that. I don't have a real problem with the silly game, but the Bible and the Koran are fantasy books that have been at the root of many real horrors. D&D crazies usually just kill themselves anyway, right? But the crazies motivated by the "scriptures" tend to be more homicidal historically speaking.
Perhaps the IDF should deal with the more genuinely problematic books.

#85687 - 03/17/05 05:06 AM Re: IDF wise to D&D [Re: hickeyarmy]
Creed Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Behind You
Israel is a Jewish state...right?

#85688 - 03/17/05 06:13 AM Re: IDF wise to D&D [Re: Creed]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

*GROAN*...........Ya think? Country actually, I do believe it is a full fledge, rather powerful country.(With a little help from their friends...) *GROAN*
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#85689 - 03/17/05 06:20 AM Re: IDF wise to D&D [Re: dragondancer]
Creed Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Behind You
My point was that the IDF probably has a better chance of having problems from over-zealous, fantasy roll players joining the army than christians or muslims.

And...I think Israel is a state.

#85690 - 03/17/05 10:50 AM Re: IDF wise to D&D [Re: Creed]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

My point was that the IDF probably has a better chance of having problems from over-zealous, fantasy roll players joining the army than christians or muslims.

And...I think Israel is a state.

I stand corrected, you are right, it is a state.

As to your point, I agree, but that is not what you said. Here is what you said.
Quote:

Sorry, but it sure looked like a question to me, not a point.

Hail Satan!

Edited by dragondancer (03/17/05 12:05 PM)
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#85691 - 03/17/05 12:05 PM Re: IDF wise to D&D [Re: dragondancer]
hickeyarmy Offline

Loc: US
I was half being silly about the Bible and Koran being banned, in the same way I'm half joking when I say it is about time for the lions to get another large snack (televised, of course). I never support the actual destruction of historic relicts...not even the above mentioned ones. I was furious when the Taliban blew up the giant Buddha statues in Afghanistan as well, even though I have no affinity with Buddhism, because it represented an important part of their history and a theological state decided it was just fine to erase such symbols of pre-Islamic times.
I am agreeing with Bill M here in the sense that Israel should be going after bigger things than fantasy game players. As much as D&D players usually are ridiculous to me, they could spend their energies better focusing on murderous religious zealots from the Big 3 religions.

#85692 - 03/17/05 12:30 PM Re: IDF wise to D&D [Re: Creed]
Roen Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

(1) You think so, huh?

(2) It's "role-players" by the way. Just like actors (some of which also end up with problems seperating themselves from their "characters").

(3) You're arguing apples with oranges. Your corrected statement should be:

"...the IDF probably has a better chance of having problems from over-zealous fantasy role-players joining the army than over-zealous christians or over-zealous muslims."

OK, so at least we're now comparing the over-zealous fantasy types with the other over-zealous fantasy types...

At which point, I'd have to ask you when was the last time anyone invaded a country for "fantasy role-playing" reasons, or crashed an airplane into a large building, or blew themselves up in the middle of a crowded market, or denied basic human rights to an entire population of people, or systematically tortured and killed large numbers of "unbelievers"? Have fantasy role-players ever bombed abortion clinics? Or beaten children to death because they imagined the children were "possessed"? Or ordered the gang-rape of a woman because she violated one of their medieval-based tenets?

(4) *MY* point is: Weak-minded fools are undesirable and dangerous, no matter where the source of the fantasy comes from. And in reflection, religiously-motivated ones are often worse.

#85693 - 03/17/05 12:46 PM Re: IDF wise to D&D [Re: Roen]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
It is ridiculous to compare fantasy role-playing geeks to professional actors on any level.

I think the criticism is not that they are dangerous but that they are for the most part weak minded and averse to reality, read “Daffy.”

For instance, I would never professionally hire anyone exuding the D&D “vibe” – not even to mow my lawn.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#85694 - 03/17/05 12:57 PM Re: IDF wise to D&D [Re: Svengali]
Trendkillers Offline

Professional actors are men and women who use their gift of emoting to earn a living. With a few obvious exceptions, most are perfectly candid, well-spoken, intelligent and active individuals after it.

For professional actors, there's a very solid divide between a character they play - even to the point of admirning or respecting that character - and who they are outside of it.

When you have serious D&D types running around, they seem to lose that. Now, there was once a time where it was rumored that CEO's and business types would do it, but that's old history. D&D is now a refuge for those that society spits out.

The reason the IDF feels the way they do isn't b/c the game is in and of itself wrong, but because it's symptomatic of someone who is generally of weak will and discernment.

#85695 - 03/17/05 02:41 PM Re: IDF wise to D&D [Re: Svengali]
Roen Offline
CoS Member

Rev. Svengali -- I don't want to continue to argue points I've already made -- and I think we're in complete agreement in that D&D people are normally nut-cases.

However, I've just got to point out that I did not say, or even imply, "professional" actors (by which I assume you mean those that act in feature films and broadway stage-actors). Professionals, to a certain degree, must be somewhat level-headed or wouldn't get hired for the high-profile jobs they do.

I didn't even say "most", or even "many". I merely said, "some". Yet, actors are role-players -- and on occasion there is an actor who takes his or her "role" a bit too seriously. I'd say the psychology behind this is similar to the fantasy role-players who allow their character persona to live beyond the "game". Comfortable lies, and all that.

However, since you brought up professional actors... I'll leave this thread with two names.

"Sean Young", and "Catwoman".

Edited by daemonmonke (03/17/05 04:13 PM)

#85696 - 03/17/05 03:55 PM Re: IDF wise to D&D [Re: Felstorm]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Also, whenever there's some anti-D&D sentiment, it's *usually* laced or topped with some anti-occultism or anti-LHP sentiment or motive, I've found, so I wonder if there's any of that at work here, if only subliminally. I also wonder how much of this anti-D&D sentiment has to do with people not being too keen on geeks and nerds in general. What's beneath the surface of this particular interest on the IDF's part, and why did they choose D&D in particular, I wonder?

I'm ambivalent about D&D. On one hand, I think it can promote imagination and creativity, and it can potentially give people (especially geeks) an opportunity to role-play situations and work through challenges as created by the game. It can allow one to cathartically express certain dreams, hang-ups, or desires, and it can allow one to potentially create their own Total Environment. But, on the other hand, it can detach people from reality, it can become addictive (as many things can, of course), and it can make someone's world a smaller place, so that their perspective on people and the world becomes more skewed. It can also allow escapists to escape *too much,* which is where the addiction comes in.

I've never really been into role-playing (it's too slow and mechanical for my taste, I don't know all the rules, and I don't feel I get to make enough decisions), but I've known plenty of people who are into it. Some of them are bright, creative, imaginative people, and they use D&D positively and productively, and others are total losers, and they use D&D (and Star Trek, Star Wars, and/or Lord of the Rings on the side, usually) as a drug. I think it depends on how much the individual plays it, why they play it, and what they intend to get out of it.

In any case, I think the IDF is barking up this tree the wrong way. If they plan to go after recruits with 'weak personalities,' they need to go after more people than just D&Ders. What about Christians, or Trekkies, or obsessive jocks, or...? I agree with Reprobate that there are lots of escapist twits and nutjobs who choose all kinds of hobbies and ideologies to further their nuttiness and escapism, but this may not be indicative of the true nature of those hobbies. I don't think D&D *alone* immediately indicates either an inherently strong or weak personality. If the IDF intends on asking the question about D&D, they need to explore a recruit's other qualities and beliefs and then look at the whole picture. (But then, that would take work and analysis...) I also agree with Reprobate that the IDF may be overlooking lots of other freaks who may be *more* worthy of supervision and concern, because it is spending its time examining D&Ders.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >

Forum Stats
12015 Members
73 Forums
43825 Topics
405206 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements