Topic Options
#86889 - 03/20/05 05:07 PM Introductions
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
Magister Ventrue, is there any way you could put a minimum response restriction on Intro posts?

By this I mean that if an intoduction does not meet a certain length requirement then the post will be denied.

Just a thought.

SETI@Home Team

#86890 - 03/20/05 05:35 PM Re: Introductions [Re: False_Messiah78]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

I would prefer to see restrictions placed on who can reply to posted introductions in the first place. I see too many newbies being labeled as "shit disturbers" and being told "your name will be in black soon" when it's the people who are already registered board member who are the ones stirring up the shit in the first place.

Everyone would also do well to re-read Magister Ventrue's post on Civilian Policing, because I'm still seeing a lot of that going on.
Prevention of Virtue

#86891 - 03/20/05 05:56 PM Re: Introductions [Re: LKRice]
False_Messiah78 Offline
Banned

Loc: New York State
Excelent point,

I made a point about re-reading that post myself when I was accused of acting like a moderator by a newbie.

I also recall reading a recent post about just ignoring the "Shit Disturbers". It made sense to me, so I have been ignoring a lot of things lately (which is really against my nature).

Part of the problem (for me anyways) is that it is just so damn tempting to let the morons know exactly how stupid they are (as that is my nature) - I've been getting better at showing restraint lately. Now when I review a post I am about to make I ask myself "Is this something a moderator would say?" and if the answer is yes, I either modify my post or cancel it alltogether.

SETI@Home Team

#86892 - 03/20/05 09:23 PM Re: Introductions [Re: False_Messiah78]
Mr. Saturday Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: USA
I also recall reading a recent post about just ignoring the "Shit Disturbers". It made sense to me, so I have been ignoring a lot of things lately (which is really against my nature).

Bingo! Regardless of some of our confrontational natures, ignoring them is the best way to make them just leave. Antagonizing them gives them attention that they don't deserve and they'll only come back for more.

Mr. Saturday
Media Contact/Warlock - Church of Satan

#86893 - 03/20/05 10:09 PM Re: Introductions [Re: Mr. Saturday]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here
Quote:

Bingo! Regardless of some of our confrontational natures, ignoring them is the best way to make them just leave. Antagonizing them gives them attention that they don't deserve and they'll only come back for more.

Not to mention the energy some of the posters replying are willing to dole out.
There is no justification for this obvious waste of time.

Sometimes I find myself wondering "if someone just woke up on the wrong side of the bed”.

gypsy

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#86894 - 03/21/05 07:35 AM Re: Introductions [Re: LKRice]
Leo_V Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I would prefer to see restrictions placed on who can reply to posted introductions in the first place.

I agree. This type of restriction would bring the level of conversation above the "I like blackmetal" Satanists capacity for any response.

I suggest Agents and Priesthood preferably; Members at a minimum.

Just a respectful suggestion.

#86895 - 03/21/05 09:48 AM Re: Introductions [Re: LKRice]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
While I agree with all that has been said here thus far, I would like to present another view on this.

When I was preparing to write my own introduction to this board, one of the things I did was to read the other intros and the replies to them.

I have to tell you that reading some of the more harsh replies really motivated me to want to write a decent intro. I had no desire to have the people of this board come down on me like a ton of bricks.

I can't speak for anyone else, and maybe there aren't that many that actually read the past intros and replies, but it was a motivating factor for me. Just thought I'd give a different point of view here.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#86896 - 03/21/05 10:46 AM Re: Introductions [Re: False_Messiah78]
Sparky_Eyes Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tampa Bay
Yeah I mean it's the weakest part of an otherwise air tight messageboard. It's either people dogpile somebody, usually for something minor or they hand out some seriously gay Satanic community group hugs.Either way, it creates a bad first impression for someone who might contribute something here.

#86897 - 03/21/05 11:42 AM Re: Introductions [Re: False_Messiah78]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Speaking of the introduction section, why was my thumbtacked post "A word to debators" mysteriously replaced by a near-plagiarized version from Agent_Noir? While I am glad that the message is still being said, I don't quite understand the reasoning for this. Was somebody hoping I'd never notice?

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#86898 - 03/21/05 12:29 PM Re: Introductions [Re: dragondancer]
fiftythirdspirit Offline

Likewise, dragondancer. Before I made my introduction, I read through all the "READ THIS FIRST" and related posts, CoS site information, and everything else I could read before I finally posted my introduction. I think what annoys me is that some newbies don't take the time to read anything (and I take that as disrespectful to Magister Ventrue, the moderators and other members of LttD). So right off the bat, I have them pegged as disrespectful AND lazy--however, I try to refrain and ignore those who annoy me--if I can.

Bill_M --I noticed.

#86899 - 03/21/05 01:23 PM Re: Introductions [Re: Bill_M]
Magister Frost Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Dallas, Texas
It was "tacked" without my approval. No one cleared it with me, I have certain restrictions on what is "stuck" and what is not "stuck". Again, it was done without my approval, had it been cleared with me, this issue would not exist.

From Hell,

Magister Frost

---------------------------------------
We're all around you, are you one of Us?
---------------------------------------
- The Church of Satan Emporium
- Satannet.com
- churchofsatan.com

#86900 - 03/21/05 01:58 PM Re: Introductions [Re: Magister Frost]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>It was "tacked" without my approval.

Ahh...well that explains it, then. Thank you for answering.

Actually, now that my post isn't public anymore, I'll go back to my original plan of expanding it a bit and getting it published in a zine.

Ta-ta,
Bill M.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406074 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements