Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#89963 - 04/01/05 09:46 AM The Last Rites
The_Sixth_Circle Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hell; where else?
After a continually failing bill of health, it would appear that the Pope isn't going to make it through the evening. When this is added to the fact that he's even been read his Last Rites, there is no one in the Vatican city who believes the Pope will pull through.

I'm happy about this. I shan't celebrate the death of an old frail man, for there is neither dignity nor point in that. The Pope means nothing to me as a man and I do not wish to see his suffering continue needlessly. But as a title, nay, an institution, I am glad he is on his way.

While we all disagree strongly with his viewpoints, he was a strong willed individual, capable of taking a hard line stance on most things (homosexuality, contraception) that he deemed "Catholic". With him gone, there will be a black hole in the Catholic Church, one not easily filled. With the world possibly in the grip of a major social change right now, we as Satanists, have reason to be cheerful. The late Doctor himself said that Christianity was becoming more and more "inconsequential" with each passing year. As a religion, Christianity is less of an adversary now and more of a sick pet that is, at best, a nuisance.

Alternative religious viewpoints are currently on a bigger scale than they ever were. While we are very definitive about the way we view our religion, we are "alternative" in almost every regard. Because we embody what humanity is biologically evolved for, we are considered "heathens", "depraved" and, of course, evil. Tough. We can all live with these names - it's part of the "Satanic" stigma. What's even more interesting is the fact that we become more and more "acceptable" as time moves on - I needn't remind anyone about my registration in the British Navy as proof of this.

There is currently no one in the Vatican capable of taking the same stance as the current (at time of writing) Pope. Providing a character as idiotically devout as him will be impossible, thus loosening the grip Christianity has (Catholicism in particular) on society as a whole.

As has been reported in the news, this is a time of massive change. But not just for Christians - for all of us. I think this could be a massive step in the right direction and we just happen to be in the right place at the right time. Not to celebrate the death of a man, but the passing of his ideals that have been held for aeons.

Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived. - Sir Oscar Wilde

#89964 - 04/01/05 09:47 AM Re: The Last Rites [Re: The_Sixth_Circle]
Ceallach Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Well put!

#89965 - 04/01/05 09:50 AM Re: The Last Rites [Re: The_Sixth_Circle]
MagisterRose Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

Providing a character as idiotically devout as him will be impossible, thus loosening the grip Christianity has (Catholicism in particular) on society as a whole.

Don't count on that. There is no shortage of the "idiotically devout" to take his place.

The good die young... because they see it's no use living if you've got to be good.
John Barrymore

PAPERBACK INFERNALIA

#89966 - 04/01/05 10:02 AM Re: The Last Rites [Re: The_Sixth_Circle]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Guy: "Pope. Time to get up, Pope."
Pope: "No, I don't want to!"
Guy: "Pope! Get up and put on your hat!"
Pope: "No! It's a stupid hat!"
~Family Guy

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#89967 - 04/01/05 10:02 AM Re: The Last Rites [Re: The_Sixth_Circle]
Nyarlathotep Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
I've always felt that Pope John Paul II was a perfect representative of his respective religion...propped up in fancy clothes but obviously should've been dead years ago. I almost feel sorry for him, much like I do for any bent and stooped old man who's just waiting to die.

As Magister Rose already said, there's no doubt that they'll find someone just as idiotically devout to replace him; still, it'll be a major blow to the Catholic Church once Pope JP 2 finally dies.

"So now you'll see that evil will always triumph...because good is dumb."
-Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

HAIL SATAN!!

#89968 - 04/01/05 10:06 AM Re: The Last Rites [Re: The_Sixth_Circle]
Grima Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I think his death won't change anything, many of the cardinals still cling on to their strict beliefs. The pope's views were sometimes even considered 'radical' for vatican standards!
More and more I see a call in the Catholic church for stricter rules because according to them society is becoming what they fear.
They still attend exorcism courses and teachings about the threat of Satanism!
I think nothing will change as long as people will follow an instution like that, there are enough nutters who are more than happy to fulfill the role as 'Vatican-rolemodel'.

#89969 - 04/01/05 10:12 AM Re: The Last Rites [Re: MagisterRose]
The_Sixth_Circle Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hell; where else?
Quote:

Don't count on that. There is no shortage of the "idiotically devout" to take his place.

Ahh - quite right, Magister. I might have been better saying that the world that the current Pope (again, at time of writing) was born into, was different to the one we're in today. Whoever is given the role may be as "idiotically devout", but also much more liberal given the way the world has changed. We, as Satanists, have no doubt contributed to such things. Here is a short quote for you, forwarded to me from a friend;

----------

“The Vatican is taking on Satanism…”

“Back to the rant at hand, what is wrong with the hierarchy in the Vatican? They use the British Navy as justification for their latest attempt at a purge of non-believers...

Nanni said the fact the British Royal Navy allowed a practicing Satanist in a submarine crew was proof of a widescale problem.

The man in question is Chris Cranmer (hehehe, jokes on him, Chris is a shortened form of Christopher = Christ bearer...), who was allowed to REGISTER the fact he is a Satanist. He wasn't allowed in as a Satanist, he was enlisted, and then chose to have it documented as his religion. Where is the problem for the Catholic Church in all this?

I am not a Satanist, but to claim they're evil because they press for vengeance, and self gratification instead of the 'good' of the society is bizarre to me. They can be self-centered, there are Billions of people in this world that are, that doesn't make them evil. Why is it everyone's panties are in a wad?!? The man isn't practicing human sacrifice, or even animal sacrifice aboard a Royal Naval vessel.

I see no reason for the noses in the 'Holy See' to get bent out of shape from getting stuck where they don't need to be. The British Royal Navy is "an equal opportunities employer", and doesn't "stop anybody from having their own religious values". Why is it a priest of a different religion, in a foreign nation on the other side of the continent thinks he has to launch an attack on those that don't agree with him? England BROKE from 'the church' a very long time ago, why now is the Vatican so hell bent on bringing them 'back to the fold' so to speak?”

(The link is below for those who want a look)

http://atexanabroad.blogspot.com/2005/02/what-aka-mind-your-own-damn-business.html

----------

In short, the Vatican is responding to the growing interest in the occult by training priests on Satanism and exorcism. The Pope has had little of this to concern himself with on this topic, as he has never really had it on his doorstep - it was always "an American problem". Now, with Satanism growing in mainland Europe, we are contributing to the heartache of the Vatican and it's choice of Papal successor. We are causing change, purely by being here.

I'm excited.

Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived. - Sir Oscar Wilde

#89970 - 04/01/05 10:18 AM Re: The Last Rites [Re: The_Sixth_Circle]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
News crews have been paying reporters to perch out on top of the roofs around the vatican waiting for the pope to kick it. Aparently they have been up there for well over a year. I guess soon these poor reporters can go home.

I know there will be a few christians crying about it. Some entertainers will hold charity concerts in his name, charging $1,000 for admission. try to make as much money as possible from the these people as they can. claiming the money will go to charity, while in actuality it is going into there own pockets. GOOD.

There will be change in the Catholic religion because now they are going to have a pope that can actually speak and his words will make sense (not necisarily the meaning of the words though). I can see the next one start up witch hunting or something. Casing a mass pannic. Because of the evils in the world yada yada yada. Then most of the Christians will become algoraphobic and lock themselves away in their church or house in the fear that their souls may be stolen by us Satanists. Good, keep locked away..

Maybe I am just having wishful thinking.

#89971 - 04/01/05 10:23 AM Re: The Last Rites [Re: tovasshi]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

anyways, when this "fuhrer" will die, governments will take care of their lambs by giving them another "mental prozak"...maybe a great football match?

#89972 - 04/01/05 10:29 AM Re: The Last Rites [Re: Assabrah]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
Thats all good for the states to have a foot ball match. Here in Canada we will probably be curesed with a concert by Celine Dion.

#89973 - 04/01/05 10:33 AM Re: The Last Rites [Re: tovasshi]
Assabrah Offline
CoS Warlock

celine dion...wow yeah..it's the curse of all curses ..well, I have said football like I would say something else, all that could appease the mass : Panem et circenses !!

#89974 - 04/01/05 10:44 AM Re: The Last Rites [Re: The_Sixth_Circle]
MagisterRose Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

Whoever is given the role may be as "idiotically devout", but also much more liberal given the way the world has changed.

Again, this is not a given. These are people who fear modernity. The next pope may very well be even more reactionary and medieval in his attitudes.

The good die young... because they see it's no use living if you've got to be good.
John Barrymore

PAPERBACK INFERNALIA

#89975 - 04/01/05 01:21 PM Re: The Last Rites [Re: The_Sixth_Circle]
Twizzer Offline

Loc: Davenport, Iowa USA
I find it a bit amusing, all the attention given to this dying old man. From outside the box, it looks like idolatry to me, the sheeple pouring out all their collective grief at his imminent passing. My grandfather was in his 80s, with Parkinsons Disease, and died six years ago in a small room with ugly green walls. Only about a dozen or so people were affected by that event.

In any event, I seriously doubt jp2's passing will have any real effect on anything. They'll elect a new puppet master, and the dance will continue.

#89976 - 04/01/05 01:30 PM Re: The Last Rites [Re: tovasshi]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Quote:

Thats all good for the states to have a foot ball match. Here in Canada we will probably be curesed with a concert by Celine Dion.

Oh no! The horror! The horror!

All will go on as usual. Another paranoid will start seeing evil somewhere or another. Let us hope it will be the Lutherans...again.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#89977 - 04/01/05 09:15 PM Re: The Last Rites [Re: The_Sixth_Circle]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
That's a great analysis of the present situation! No doubt, we are right now in the middle of a major historical event. Changes are coming.

I'm thinking about what kind of pope will supplant the present one. Some time ago I had an interesting conversation with a priest who gave me some "insider" information about the Vatican. According to him, there was a lot of “dissent” inside the Catholic hierarchy, with some groups advocating for deep reforms (allowing priests to marry, women to be ordained priests, etc) and the present pope we the principal obstacle for those changes.

Now that this pope is out, who will be his replacement? One of the “progressive” priests that want to modernize the Church? Or another of the old guard?

If the minds at the Vatican right now are smart, they would elect a somehow “liberal” pope that will inject a little life in their moribund Church. He would do some little cosmetic reforms, which will attract new swarms of young sheep, while the core of their old dogma remains the same. They will maybe create some kind of “Catholicism Lite” to buy some time. I just hope they are not that smart.

Personally, I hope the new pope is even more conservative, traditionalist and orthodox than the one about to die.

Why? Because he will make his Church’s obsolesce more evident. He will make Catholicism (and by extension every branch of Christianity) even more obsolete that it already is. He will alienate his already diminishing flock of faithful followers.

The more backwards and medieval the Church looks, the more absurd its dogmas will look, sticking out like an embalmed sore thumb in the middle of a changing world.
So I hope this new pope resurrects the Inquisition!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
13308 Members
73 Forums
44541 Topics
407970 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold