Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#91803 - 04/09/05 03:26 PM Why are people afraid of the dark?
LatnIsSeiv Offline

Loc: U.S.
Have you ever heard any good ghost stories? Did they make you uncomfortable, squeamish, or afraid? Do you remember the first time you heard about the monster in the closet, the monster under the bed, or the shadows that lurk in the dark at night? Do you still check under your bed or look in your closet? Do you sleep with the lights on or off? Do you leave your door cracked open?

Why are people afraid of the -- DARK? Have you ever considered that what you have been told as a child was a lie? The one thing I liked about the Disney movie Monsters, Inc. is that it showed you that your perceptions could be wrong...

Question: Why are people afraid of the dark?

Remember that FEAR is a human emotion.

Thank you for your time and feedback, in advance.

TSB:
Pg. 34 - Book 5; verse 8

TSR:
Pg. 14 - paragraph 4; line 1 – etc…

Hail Satan!

#91804 - 04/09/05 04:39 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
uncleherpe Offline

people are afraid of the dark because they cant see whats going on.

#91805 - 04/09/05 04:51 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: uncleherpe]
RustySpring Offline
CoS Warlock

Bingo!

#91807 - 04/09/05 05:05 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Hazel Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
That's a simple question that you complicated with unnecessary words, answering your own question in the process.

"Fear is a[n]... [animal] emotion." We are animals. Thusly, we fear. We fear what we do not understand, or what we don't know. We can't see in the dark, and since that is the sense we rely on most, we become scared.

Edited by Hazel (04/09/05 05:22 PM)

#91808 - 04/09/05 05:08 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: ]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
Quote:

Yes, fear IS a human emotion, one that has undoubtably kept our ancestors alive for millions of years.

Fear is a ingrained biological survival tool.

Good point, I agree and would like to elaborate:

Our ancestors feared the dark because those who did lived long enough to reproduce. If every time one of your kin goes into that dark corner of the cave and doesn't come back eventually you learn not to go back there.

A lot of our fears originate similarly, for example: fear of heights, fear of spiders/snakes/things with big teeth, et cetera.

#91809 - 04/09/05 05:08 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
NatassjaNoctis Offline

Loc: earth
Quote:

Remember that FEAR is a human emotion.

Are you saying that fear is an exclusively human emotion and that animals do not experience it?
If so, That in itself is highly debatable.
Most "animal attacks" happen when an animal sees a human as a threat (fear) and rarely because it sees humans as food.

Perhaps humans have slightly different reactions to fear than animals, but not too much.
People who are homophobic (having a fear of homosexuals and/or homosexuality) often attack when they see what they perceive as a "homosexual threat" to their "straighness".
People who are xenophobic (having a fear of foreign or "other" cultures/ethnicities) often behave the same way when they see their "fear triggers".
Now back to animals, I have had several pets who were "afraid" of the dark (stop and tread slowly into unlit rooms, etc), mainly because it forces them to rely on other, perhaps less powerful senses than sight, and they don't know what to expect.
As to why some humans (not me-I actually see better in the dark) are afraid of the dark, perhaps it because they are generally raised in societies that teach children from a young age to associate "light" with "being saved","heaven" and/or "holiness" of some sort, by turn, associating "dark" with "Demons", "Devils" awnd other craetures of "the night" who might "harm" you.
And the answer about aniamls may play into human behavior as well...

#91810 - 04/09/05 05:40 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: NatassjaNoctis]
uncleherpe Offline

As to why some humans (not me-I actually see better in the dark) are afraid of the dark, perhaps it because they are generally raised in societies that teach children from a young age to associate "light" with "being saved","heaven" and/or "holiness" of some sort, by turn, associating "dark" with "Demons", "Devils" awnd other craetures of "the night" who might "harm" you.

---------------------------

not everything boils down to ideas in the bible. I disagree with you on that. Light is good because you can use your main sensory organs in it. Dark is bad because it severly reduces your ability to see. even before religion im sure this was the purpose of fearing the dark.

I am scared of the dark because I have horrible nightvision and I am a very small skinny white girl. Its smart for me to be scared.

#91811 - 04/09/05 05:58 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: NatassjaNoctis]
Hazel Offline

Quote:

When I was a toddler it was never Biblical meanies who threatened me. It was the bad guys I saw on children's programming. Remember Ghostwriter (Anyone, anyone?) The purple gum-monster? I was scared for months about that. Also, my mom is an art collector. She has this really freaky mask hanging up in the kitchen that used to scare the crap out of me (it only doesn't do that now because it's in the attic!) Generally I feel it's just normal things that creep you out are manifested in your imagination and projected at night.

#91812 - 04/09/05 06:40 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: NatassjaNoctis]
Gileyd Offline

Loc: Leeds, UK
No, I don't believe fear is exclusive to humans. Fear and aggression are the two universal emotions in the animal kingdom. Even with humans it's the more primitive part of our brain that triggers either of them off, our monkey heritage displayed there.

I definetly think that aggression is important for survival, but I'm undecided with fear. The reason I question it is because of the studies I've read with violent criminals, who were alleged to exhibit fear very weakly. They still apparently fought for self-presevation, both when they were apprehended and in prison. And also in day to day things like crossing the road. I'm not scared of the road or a car, but I know logically that I will be harmed if I get hit by one. Therefore, it is out of logic that I look both ways when I cross, not because of fear.

I don't really know why darkness makes people scared or uncormfortable, but whoever said because we can't see is probably on the right track.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me. - The Sith Code (George Lucas)

#91813 - 04/09/05 06:53 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Gileyd]
Hazel Offline

Quote:

I'm not scared of the road or a car

But you will be scared of the car once it barrels towards you at 80 miles per hour and you can't get away in time.

#91814 - 04/09/05 07:00 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Hazel]
Gileyd Offline

Probably, but I won't known that till I'm in that situation, and the fear won't really be helping me survive at that point. It would probably make the average person just freeze.

And it doesn't really change the fact that people take measures to survive without being actively scared.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me. - The Sith Code (George Lucas)

#91815 - 04/09/05 07:08 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Gileyd]
Hazel Offline

Maybe I'm stretching it but perhaps an unconscious fear of fear?

#91816 - 04/09/05 07:10 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Hazel]
Gileyd Offline

Interesting, what do you mean?

#91817 - 04/09/05 07:14 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Gileyd]
Hazel Offline

Well a person who doesn't look both ways before crossing the street runs the risk of being in a situation where they would be scared. Fear is something people usually avoid, so perhaps it's also there to deter us from doing anything that might make us afraid.

#91818 - 04/09/05 07:21 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Hazel]
Gileyd Offline

Brings a new take on "we have nothing to fear but fear itself" !

What I find intersting in fear, is the way we can condition ourselves to not be afraid of something and how sometimes we can be made afraid of something we know is irrational. eg. As a young child, someone got bitten by rabbit. So now even as an adult, they feel waves of fear if they get to close to a rabit.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406366 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements